Accents and stereotypical views....

mcneilp

Which accent do you find most annoying? It can be anywhere in the world or is there a country you have visited which has lived up to the stereotypical view that everyone has of it, e.g the scottish are all ginger ( we are not really)and go around in kilts, the french all wear berets, stripy tops and sell onions form bikes. Discuss.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha Australia has the worst stereotypes, the way we talk, we all own a kangaroo etc etc (When i went to England i was asked this 7 times by complete strangers in a week and a half lol... and twice in the 4 days i was in france). Seriously no-one is like that. Ok the accent might be more laid back than other countries, but it certainly isn't Mick Dundee style, and it's only really the country people that you would associate it with. Australia is such a multicultural society, aswell as any developing nation really, that stereotypes very rarely portrtay what the majority of the populace is like anyway.

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Haha Australia has the worst stereotypes, the way we talk, we all own a kangaroo etc etc (When i went to England i was asked this 7 times by complete strangers in a week and a half lol... and twice in the 4 days i was in france). Seriously no-one is like that. Ok the accent might be more laid back than other countries, but it certainly isn't Mick Dundee style, and it's only really the country people that you would associate it with. Australia is such a multicultural society, aswell as any developing nation really, that stereotypes very rarely portrtay what the majority of the populace is like anyway.
And it definately isn't Steve Irwin either.

Man, I went on a tour of Europe, and every day I was asked by at least one person if I had wrestled a crocodile -.- Eventually I just started talking up the Drop Bears to make it seem more impressive :-w

My girlfriends >.< Good God, the Essex, correction, any Southern Londonish area, has to be the worst thing I've ever heard. Quoting Family Guy again, but Stewie Griffin is right. They don't so much speak the language as they do butcher it, and the also do the upper inflection at the end of everything, as in everything's a question.

I can't stand it. I cannot stand it. You may think "Oh, that's rich, coming from a scouser!", but at least we use our th's, we don't 'fink' about 'staff', we just say it quicker and a hell of a lot clearer. Learn to smegging speak.

And get a sense of humour. And don't take everything as seriously. And don't be so ignorant.

Uh oh. If this carries on, Bubs won't have a girlfriend >.<

Scousers. 'Nuff said. Can't understand a bloody thing they say. Speak slower please!

And Birmingham accents. Sounds like there moaning half the time.

But we must not hate on people with accents. O:)

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

And it definately isn't Steve Irwin either.

Man, I went on a tour of Europe, and every day I was asked by at least one person if I had wrestled a crocodile -.- Eventually I just started talking up the Drop Bears to make it seem more impressive :-w

Haha this was 6 years ago, so Steve Irwin wasn't as well known. I feel your pain though. Drop bears is a great myth haha, we did it to our American cousins, who wouldn't walk under a tree for ages, until one of them was smart enough to look it up on the internet.

for anyone who doesn't know:

[hide=Drop Bears]dropbear) is a fictional Australian marsupial said to be related to the koala.

Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous koalas that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above. They are an example of local lore intended to frighten and confuse outsiders, and amuse locals, similar to the jackalope, hoop snake, haggis or snipe hunting.

Some suggest that the drop bear myth is designed to discourage children from straying needlessly below eucalyptus trees, protecting them from the very real danger of getting hit by a falling branch. Arbitrary detachment of old branches is common with certain species of the eucalyptus, which are known as 'widow-makers' for this very reason. Similar theories are attached to the cone from the bunya tree.

The drop bear myth appears to have first appeared during the latter half of the 20th century, and may have its origins with Phascolarctos stirtoni, the carnivorous Phascolarctos involus or perhaps Thylacoleo carnifex, which belong to a group of extinct animals known as Australian megafauna. The prehistoric creatures were approximately twice the size of modern koalas. Thylacoleo is thought to have been an arboreal predator that may well have ambushed prey by dropping on it from overhead branches.

Stories of drop bears are often told to unsuspecting foreign visitors to illustrate Australian morbid humour. It is suggested that doing ridiculous things like having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears will deter the creatures.

A great add:

# A 2004 commercial for Bundaberg Rum showed three Scandinavian women camping under a tree, when four Australian men stated that they shouldn't camp there as there were "drop bears - a bigger meaner koala" and that "they grab your head". Laughing this off they return to setting up camp when "Bundy Bear", the seven-foot tall polar bear mascot for Bundaberg Rum, falls from the tree above. The girls then run in fear into the Australian men's camp. [/hide]

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

There's this one particular brittish accent I just cannot stand. I don't know whereabout it originates from; but I saw this reality documentary show on tv once, about a bunch of chavs who were sent to some learn-to-[bleep]ing-behave-properly camp, and they all had this accent. Also I believe the "chav" in Little Britain has this accent. I mean, it's supposed to be English, right? Well it sure doesn't sound like it. I don't know if it's me being Swedish or not, but they only seem to pronounce like 20% of the actual words: "wah, dah, bah, tah, mah". That's what it sounds like to me. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

There aren't many Swedish stereotypes that I find annoying. However, the whole "what, you guys have summer over there?!" is just stupid. And all swedes aren't blondes. Hell, I'm dark brown and my parents are almost black-haired. Both my sisters are blondes though... :P

2009rb9.jpg

There's this one particular brittish accent I just cannot stand. I don't know whereabout it originates from; but I saw this reality documentary show on tv once, about a bunch of chavs who were sent to some learn-to-[bleep]-behave-properly camp, and they all had this accent. Also I believe the "chav" in Little Britain has this accent. I mean, it's supposed to be English, right? Well it sure doesn't sound like it. I don't know if it's me being Swedish or not, but they only seem to pronounce like 20% of the actual words: "wah, dah, bah, tah, mah". That's what it sounds like to me. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

That's the one I'm on about. It's this southern/londonish area. Truly horrible. Of course, it's exaggarated on that show, but not a lot :P

I absolutely detest that overblown Filipino accent that girls here seem to absolutely adore and adopt despite having lived in this country for their entire lives and only visiting the Philippines once or twice.

I mean, sweet cyborg Jesus, immigrants have an excuse to have an accent, but second generation Filipino-Australians forcing themselves into the accent because it's "cute"? Okay, so if they're around anyone else, they speak normally, but god forbid that they bump into one of their Filipino friends or relatives, and - BAM herecomestheaccent - has everyone met Tito Ray? My gosh dass a wanderful herrcut!

Crap, I've been here for only eleven years and I've had people tell me I sound Irish, of all things.

I cant stand South Americans accents. And the stereotypes of them ive heard are pretty funny, and whats funnier is that some of the stereotypes are true \' (not all of south America, just some states and people.) :P

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

I cant stand South Americans accents. And the stereotypes of them ive heard are pretty funny, and whats funnier is that some of the stereotypes are true \' (not all of south America, just some states and people.) :P

yeah iv heard lots of this as well and iv even got some pics to back it up:

The Redneck Harley Davidson

redneck_harley.jpg

The Redneck Jacuzzi

redneck_jacuzzi.jpg

The Redneck Swimming Pool

poolredneckstyle.jpg

Redneck Fishing Trip

FunnyPart-com-redneck_fishing.jpg

No offense meant to any southern american tif users :-$

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Oh damn. I love making fun of eastern-third world accents. :lol: I'm such a "butthole".

Oh man. hah. I pranked called random numbers calling people saying I was trapped in Iraq with people hurting me. Den I go hang oop.

Bloody hell mate, you're steamed up, pissed as a fart, too much sauce son.

So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles!

:P

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I absolutely detest that overblown Filipino accent that girls here seem to absolutely adore and adopt despite having lived in this country for their entire lives and only visiting the Philippines once or twice.

I mean, sweet cyborg Jesus, immigrants have an excuse to have an accent, but second generation Filipino-Australians forcing themselves into the accent because it's "cute"? Okay, so if they're around anyone else, they speak normally, but god forbid that they bump into one of their Filipino friends or relatives, and - BAM herecomestheaccent - has everyone met Tito Ray? My gosh dass a wanderful herrcut!

Crap, I've been here for only eleven years and I've had people tell me I sound Irish, of all things.

:oops: I've got that accent, but I'm an immigrant so it's cool. I've met people life. It's usually the middle-aged women, who married foreigners that has that 'overblown' Filipino Accent

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

I don't mind accents. I live in Texas but I don't have a southern accent. Most people in Texas don't have too much of a southern accent but when you go over to Alabama, it's everywhere. I'm not really sure what my accent would be.

So I tell the swamp donkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and have her lick me yarbles!

And i said to her, give me the pomplemousse and i drove it to the egg shop which packed up over the channel with two minutes left until i dropped my stereo :ohnoes:

(This is what exam leave does to you...leave school children, too much spare time is bad for you!)

(seriously though, stay in school :thumbsup: so you dont 3nD uP t0kin lyk d1s nD G0 ar0und begin 4 phr33 st0of pl0xers!)

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Deep southern dialect I hate the worst. Especialy the sterotypical redneck.

I cant stand South Americans accents. And the stereotypes of them ive heard are pretty funny, and whats funnier is that some of the stereotypes are true (not all of south America, just some states and people.)

Redneck accents. Thank God I live in Arizona, which is just as far away from the southern belt as I can get.

Yall gotten a problem wit one uv my freends then im ganna hafta get my shotgun out and do some damage. GET R DUNN!!!!

im really not much of a redneck, its just where i live. i have lived in scotland, south texas, new york, and north carolina, and anytime im talk to someone from those areas i slip into the accent.

cant stand french accents

Say what you mean and mean what you say because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

No time to chin wag mate, flat out like a lizard drinkin'

I'm not sure if it's the same one Bubsa is talking about, but there is this distinct british one I can't stand. Real turns into "weal", th is "f". They sound like little 3 year olds missing their 2 front teeth.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

So, apparently I have a Colorado accent o.O

my friends told me this like 2 years ago and it supposevly annoys the hell out of one but the others like it o.O

I don't get it I don't sound different from the rest of them....

But, honestly I'm not being racist but when "dem gangsterzzz" try and be all cool with talking about walking streets and guns, and such....

they just arent cool...