Accents and stereotypical views....

mcneilp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't dislike any accents. My favorite is the Irish accent and the Winston Churchill-like one.

So in other words you just like the bog-standard southern accent, along with the queens english.

I get a lot of stick because I have a Manchester accent. Anyone whose ever heard Noel Gallagher from Oasis speak will know what I mean, but mines a toned down version of that

:anxious:

http://custom.leetscape.com/sig/63/70/combat.png[/img]

You just won the award for "The Most niave person on the Tip.it Boards!"]
*Points towards the monkey sitting on the button and declining every query*
Help me

No.

There's this one particular brittish accent I just cannot stand. I don't know whereabout it originates from; but I saw this reality documentary show on tv once, about a bunch of chavs who were sent to some learn-to-[bleep]-behave-properly camp, and they all had this accent. Also I believe the "chav" in Little Britain has this accent. I mean, it's supposed to be English, right? Well it sure doesn't sound like it. I don't know if it's me being Swedish or not, but they only seem to pronounce like 20% of the actual words: "wah, dah, bah, tah, mah". That's what it sounds like to me. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

That's the one I'm on about. It's this southern/londonish area. Truly horrible. Of course, it's exaggarated on that show, but not a lot :P

I can't think of any other Chavs in Little Britain apart from Vicky Pollard. The idea for the character came from down here in the west country, I believe David Walliams cracked up while overhearing a conversation between a few girls at a train station here in Bristol.

Wikipedia backs me up:

Vicky was born in 1989 in Bristol, or "Brissle" as it is locally known[2] and most likely lives in a fictional place called Darkley Noone, where most of her sketches are set.

And yes, I admit - The Bristolian accent is the worst in the UK. I can't stand American accents however, particually New York and ones from the Deep South.. :-s

EDIT: Apparently Scousers have the most easily understandable/calming accent, that's why there are so many call centres based there.

New York Accents.

I hate when people think all New Jersians pronounce Jersey, Joysee

well today at 11:30 am 14 years ago i was born.. wo0t!!!
At 11:30 you should start holding your head underwater wo0t!!!
Stop acting such a moron.

All that Essex and cockney bollocks. But i do like rhyming slang :P .

And also bloody posh boys that speak 'queen's english'.

I don't mind any other english accents but theres some that i like more than others.

The best is a good clear Yorkshire acent. :thumbsup:

iteme3721.jpg

All that Essex and cockney bollocks. But i do like rhyming slang :P .

And also bloody posh boys that speak 'queen's english'.

I don't mind any other english accents but theres some that i like more than others.

The best is a good clear Yorkshire acent. :thumbsup:

Get back down those pits and mine me some coal :o

I went to Jamaica a couple years ago and although I know they speak English I cant understand them at all. They talk so fast and have to be asked to repeat everything.

BTW its not just a stereotype that they say "Ya mon" all the time.

lope6jw0.jpg

New York Accents.

I hate when people think all New Jersians pronounce Jersey, Joysee

Some people say I saound like a New Yorker. I was born in NYC, but raised in Tucson. Guess it was my parent's fault; They both got New Yorker accents.

I have a little bit of a Texas accent, but not so much that it's real noticeable. Well, until I end up saying "y'all" or "fixin' to".

I hate the stereotype that everyone who has a "country-ish" accent is stupid or a redneck. Just because we talk more slowly doesn't mean we're all stupid rednecks. :wall:

vraptor_con_small.jpg

Get back down those pits and mine me some coal :o
:o Im west yorkshire mate thats mainly south yorkshire.

My step dad's dad is a retired coal miner from Barnsley though.

:P

iteme3721.jpg

There's this one particular brittish accent I just cannot stand. I don't know whereabout it originates from; but I saw this reality documentary show on tv once, about a bunch of chavs who were sent to some learn-to-[bleep]-behave-properly camp, and they all had this accent. Also I believe the "chav" in Little Britain has this accent. I mean, it's supposed to be English, right? Well it sure doesn't sound like it. I don't know if it's me being Swedish or not, but they only seem to pronounce like 20% of the actual words: "wah, dah, bah, tah, mah". That's what it sounds like to me. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

That's the one I'm on about. It's this southern/londonish area. Truly horrible. Of course, it's exaggarated on that show, but not a lot :P

Yeah, I hate that one as well.

Not a fan of a redneck accent either, but living in england that's not so much a problem for me.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Accents are fantastic. My favourite are Australian and South African. <3: I melt when I hear someone speaking with either of those two. Sadly, I don't get to hear them that often. *Sigh*

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

Aw, I find the redneck one cute. <3: Ha-heugh!

After you hear a redneck shout GET R DUN! a hundred times your perspective of that will change. :lol:

Deep southern dialect I hate the worst. Especialy the sterotypical redneck.

I cant stand South Americans accents. And the stereotypes of them ive heard are pretty funny, and whats funnier is that some of the stereotypes are true (not all of south America, just some states and people.)

Redneck accents. Thank God I live in Arizona, which is just as far away from the southern belt as I can get.

Yall gotten a problem wit one uv my freends then im ganna hafta get my shotgun out and do some damage. GET R DUNN!!!!

im really not much of a redneck, its just where i live. i have lived in scotland, south texas, new york, and north carolina, and anytime im talk to someone from those areas i slip into the accent.

cant stand french accents

But vhy?Iz it not ze bezt aczent?

I really hate our stereotype?That because we're in Asia,we're stupid?

I heard of this guy on tv named Adolf Hitler.Oh my god,someone should stop him!

Come on,we're not even twice as smart as that.At least,I'm not,with 150-ish IQ points...

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Come on,we're not even twice as smart as that.At least,I'm not,with 150-ish IQ points...

Eh? Where did you get that from. There's actually quite a stereotype at my school that a lot of the South East or Eastern Asians are all super smart.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Eh? Where did you get that from. There's actually quite a stereotype at my school that a lot of the South East or Eastern Asians are all super smart.

Yea... I was under the impression that asians were stereotypically smart :-? :-s

Aw, I find the redneck one cute. <3: Ha-heugh!

After you hear a redneck shout GET R DUN! a hundred times your perspective of that will change. :lol:

DUNN GOTTR DID!!!!

wow, never thought id be called cute by bubsa <3:

Say what you mean and mean what you say because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

Northeastern American accents bother me the most. I think that they say actual words about 25% of the time they're speaking, and the other 75% is just a bunch of syllables strung together that mean nothing.

People tell me I sound angry whenever I talk. I emphasize my L's a little too much and I often pronounce I's like long E's. Girls think it's cute, though. :mrgreen:

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif