OFFICIAL: Upcoming Tip.it Forum Changes

Regarding the General merge, I don't think people realize how much overlap there is in both. In a staff discussion a while back, I tried to make a point about all the Non-P2P threads in General P2P. At the time I did a count there were 25 topics I could have moved to General F2P out of the 100 on the first 2 pages. My only reason for not doing a mass move was I didn't want to hear the complaining that would have happened.

As it is at this moment, posts on Gen P2P over a 24 hour period don't even span the first page. There are 46 topics on the first page of Gen P2P minus the stickies. 5 of the topics of locked. Another 5 are shadows of moved topics. Now here's the best one: There are currently 15 topics additional in General P2P that I should move to General F2P.

So to recap, 25 out of 46 available topic positions could be removed from General P2P and even with them the first page still has topics that are 36 hours from the last post. F2P currently includes 5 locks and 4 shadows and has posts on the first page over 60 hours old (2.5 days).

Can someone explain how this is so active that a merge will make the board run too fast?

Edited for spelling errors

Why not actualy mod the board then? I'm sick and tired of all the crap topics polluting General P2P. 6 or so months ago the boards were fine, since then there's been a huge increase in these crap topics. "Favourite ___" "If RS3 was made what would you do" and crap like that. Before it had ACTUAL discussions believe it or not based on Runescape. Discussing things such as new methods on monster killing and topics that were about the actual gameplay of the game not crap that no one cares about and people only post in to get their post count up.

Even though I'm not a member that long I agree with this. I'm becoming less and less active on both the general forums, just because I feel it's getting filled useless topics.

But I agree with most of the changes: help forum was/isn't active enough to make seperate forums first place.

Only thing I was wondering about is the "best clue reward" sticky at the clue forums, I actually like it and check it every now and then. I guess it'll probably be removed?

Another thing I was wondering is what'll happen to the stickies on the general forums. General and F2P general have 9 stickies and 2 announcments together, will they all remain? It seems a bit much to me.

(Kinda Off Topic: The "new" should be removed from the introducing and leaving stickies.)

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts are to not merge F2p and P2P b/c then there would be too much confusion to which topics were meant to be f2p and which were meant to be p2p. While help and advice should be together b/c they are about the same. And combine those rsc forums. Those are my thoughts.

Why not actualy mod the board then? I'm sick and tired of all the crap topics polluting General P2P. 6 or so months ago the boards were fine, since then there's been a huge increase in these crap topics. "Favourite ___" "If RS3 was made what would you do" and crap like that. Before it had ACTUAL discussions believe it or not based on Runescape. Discussing things such as new methods on monster killing and topics that were about the actual gameplay of the game not crap that no one cares about and people only post in to get their post count up.

I'll gladly mod the board but as I showed it will be nearly empty and not exactly deserving of its own spot on the index. If anything it would then only merit being a sub-forum of the General board.

If you want to blame crap in General P2P, blame your fellow users who produce crap topics then the other users who bump it up constantly. I can't understand the mindset that if I don't like it it shouldn't be there. I don't complain about the topics because I'm not taking initiative to make my own topics that will spur discussion. If as many users would do that as complain I doubt it would be an issue.

Creating new boards for every fad topic is why we have so many random boards... and people complain. If we start locking, being choosy, and treating a board with an iron fist.... people complain. I'm sure everyone can see the common link here.

I think your assertion that the garbage topics are now somehow worse is completely untrue. I can remember mentioning more than once about how trashy I found both Generals back when I was first modded a year ago. People love to romanticize how things were while overlooking the reality of the situation. No reason to blame them for doing it, it happens.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

A poster misunderstood what I meant about active participants in the General board(s). I wasn't insinuating that high post count means your opinion matters more - rather, I was encouraging people who DO participate on Gen P2P/F2P to post their comments about their experiences. Everyone is a "poster" in my book - and being active means you browse the boards at least weekly; replying to threads is not required.

Please consider a few things re: general boards:

- Descriptive titles. What's to stop people from adding a [F2P] tag to their topic title if they wish to differentiate themselves from the P2Pers?

- General F2P's activity. The board pales in comparison to the P2P board. Look at the threads per page - General F2P has some from Monday (almost Sunday); P2P has some from late Tuesday (yesterday). Merging them won't cause this influx of threads, pushing aside the P2P threads.

- Regarding activity and locks. Again, both P2P and General both have locked threads. Merging the boards would increase activity and move the locks past page one, leaving only discussion-worthy threads on the main page. The fact that the threads aren't moving that quickly on either board really shows that the merge won't be as drastic of a change as people think.

Combining the boards will NOT lose the thriving threads that people are talking about. The whole idea of having one board where the activity is much higher than any place else is the fact that users and their responses keep the interesting threads that people like reading alive. The forum is fast paced but at the same time, the topics people enjoy are always visible. General P2P can afford to have General F2P's topics added to it--and still maintain a healthy level of activity with the popular/interesting threads staying visible.

I find that there are interesting topics in both boards that could go either way, as they deal with RuneScape (not members, not free). Combining the boards would also improve POST QUALITY. Those complaining about quality on either board. Lack of new things to post about may be a factor. But I think it's the fact that the boards are moving slower than they ever have before. Even the slowest board on ScapeBoard (a long time ago) had posts 24 hours old spilling onto page two. The staff has split up the index so much that people are noticing the crappy threads more than they ever have before. This is probably the strongest reason to merge the boards - to keep quality at a maximum.

I'm not sure I understand how it would be harder to sift through discussions. Look at the topic titles and decide what topics you think are interesting. Right now, you can take a look at the first page in under ten minutes and know all the threads. With the addition of more activity to a single board, you'll be more likely to find new, exciting threads posted when you come back. This is not to say General P2P/F2P does not have interesting threads on them currently. But it will be more likely that you will see MORE interesting threads posted on a daily basis rather than simply skimming P2P for that one thread you want to see replies on.

Keep your mind open and focus on what would actually change the community. Maybe this setup isn't the ideal one - that's fine. But keep in mind that a lot of admins/staff have been at Tip.it for many years now - we wouldn't recommend changes if we didn't think it would improve the overall nature of the community. And while a lot of our previous updates may not have gotten rave reviews to start, they were certainly appreciated as time went on and the changes' usefulness came to light. It's our job to think for the future and what would serve the community best.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

I think i understand your point The sith. If you are going to merge Ftp and P2p then it would be a very good idea to either make a sub forum or another forum for just general talk like ( Whats your favorite ___?)

Because since Ftp and P2p both have those kind of topics. If you add them together it will be chaos.

I hope your also thinking about being able to view our signatures in our profile. Even though we have a Test Your Sig forum. :wink:

Oh and i see your starting to moderate General p2p the tallest. Never saw you there . ::'

prospektssigza4.jpg

- General boards - Merge General F2P and General P2P, removing the ambiguity of both boards that has existed for a long time. This will also create a more active chat environment which will eventually lead to higher quality threads (natural selection of sorts) and a more exciting browsing experience.

- Help boards - Revert back to one forum: no subforums. Again, create a more active posting environment. Post your question in a new thread, receive an answer, and go.

- Clues board - Remove/merge into the Help board. It was originally created when RuneScape clues were first released. Now that clues have been in the game for a long time, the board's purpose has diminished.

- RuneScape Classic boards - Merge RSC General and RSC Graveyard. The activity in the boards is way below any of our other boards. Relocated to new RuneScape category.

-I think merging General and General P2P would be a great idea; there will be a lot of active posts, and mods only need to check one forum.

-I think that one and only help and advice board was perfect like before. Now with the three or so forums you have now it gets complicated and not everyone likes reading all of them. Now you get posts in General and P2P like "no1 wud answr in help n advice so i postd here"

-I don't think merging the help board with clues would be a good idea, no one really goes there since theres Tip Its main site. It would get too cluttered.

-RSC + RSC graveyard would be ok, the topics there aren't very active anyways.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

I hope your also thinking about being able to view our signatures in our profile. Even though we have a Test Your Sig forum. :wink:

Oh and i see your starting to moderate General p2p the tallest. Never saw you there . ::'

The sig feature hasn't been brought up but I liked the idea but for entirely personal reasons. It's easier to check the content if I have to remove them. :P Best to make that into its own topic as Phil mentioned with the things not specifically listed in the first post. They'll get lost in the shuffle if you ask about them here.

I mod Gen P2P if I happen to see something that needs to be taken care of but our mods there get everything before I ever see it. They're ninja fast. I just happened to be taking note of active topics on the boards at the time. :mrgreen:

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

2012 total - 91 combat

Even though some things aren't listed in these proposed changes doesn't mean they aren't still in discussion. Now on to a few random things without diverting this topic too far off the things mentioned.

Try and make the clan discussion boards more appealing and active?

ie setting up a list of top 10 clans or something so clans have a reason to post/discuss things there

We're currently working on that. Trust me, it's involved and will take a little while.

There have been a few mentions of self-locking and deletion. Short answer: it will not happen. Even Mods and Admins don't go deleting posts (we remove them from view) so you can bet we won't be letting users do this. It boils down to users locking their topic when they are out debated. The deletion won't happen because we'll have people delete their rule-breaking post before we see it.

Regarding the General merge, I don't think people realize how much overlap there is in both. In a staff discussion a while back, I tried to make a point about all the Non-P2P threads in General P2P. At the time I did a count there were 25 topics I could have moved to General F2P out of the 100 on the first 2 pages. My only reason for not doing a mass move was I didn't want to hear the complaining that would have happened.

As it is at this moment, posts on Gen P2P over a 24 hour period don't even span the first page. There are 46 topics on the first page of Gen P2P minus the stickie. 5 of the topics of locked. Another 5 are shadows of moved topics. Now here's the best one: There are currently 15 topics additional in General P2P that I should move to General F2P.

So to recap, 25 out of 46 available topic positions could be removed from General P2P and even with them the first page still has topics that are 36 hours from the last post. F2P currently includes 5 locks and 4 shadows and has posts on the first page over 60 hours old (2.5 days).

Can someone explain how this is so active that a merge will make the board run too fast?

Edited for spelling errors

??as aposed to editing them to be blank or only say close plz ??

other than that i agree with the p2p f2p merger

[hide=]

Wow... I just scanned it with my new high tech program called "common sense" and it detected a scam.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Gee, for someone with "billions and billions on multiple accounts", you sure whine a lot.
[/hide]

At least we can see something was there in the first place. Some evidence > No evidence.

sig2ho7.jpg

other than that i agree with the p2p f2p merger

Not to be mean since my comment left me open for that, but one like yours pretty much shoots you in the foot. It's a good argument why not to allow editing, not a good argument for allowing deletion.

As I said, it won't happen because the posts get moved someplace not deleted even by us.

tallest.jpeg

2012 total - 91 combat

Regarding the General / General P2P merge and people complaining about "crap topics" that would simply take up space, there's a somewhat easy solution that I think someone brought up among staff when talking about "natural selection" among topics.

This idea would be a bump limit. The issue in question was that if/when natural selection took place, the creator of the topic may think that their topic was ignored and want to bump it. The restriction that I feel should be added is that a topic can only be bumped once per so many posts (10 or so) and any bump from a topic beyond page 2 or 3 must be a contributing post and not simply a "bump."

The first restriction would prevent those who were hit by natural selection to continuously bump their topic. They could make 1 bump before 10 posts are made IF AND ONLY IF the topic has fallen off the first page, but after that, the once-per-10-posts limit should be enforced.

The second restriction would prevent people from meaninglessly bumping old topics that hold very little relevance to today's time.

Of course, anyone violating these restrictions would first get a warning, then their topic would be locked, then temp ban or whatever other punishment would be appropriate.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

The merger of the general pay-to-play boards and the general free-to-play boards sounds like a miraculous idea. It will condense down the size of the forums, and reduce the ammount of overlap between the two as the tallest mentioned. This will also give a better chance for non-members to interact with members (In-game members) and converse about the different aspects of the game. To me it seems almost a win-win situation, even though there will be a few who oppose it the death..

As for the Help Boards, the subforums do seem almost utterly pointless to me. I had a question to ask about how to make a quote with the person's name in it that you were quoting, and because of the subforums I didn't know where to post it right away. Getting rid of the subforums will help anyone in the future reduce the confusion and the ammount of time(however little it may be) they have to spend finding the right location for their post. This equals another win-win..

Regarding the clues forums, I'm not quite sure what you mean by these. Do you mean the clue scroll boards? If so then combining these with the Help Boards will also help condense down the size of the forums. Thus making it more user friendly, because a question about a clue scroll isn't much different than a question for information on an in-game item. Another win-win.

And finally the RSC Boards. I don't play RSC often, but I do log into it every once in awhile. Merging these boards together to make one complete forum for RSC will yet again condense the size of the complete Tipit Forums down, and it shouldn't make it so nobody can find there post. Especially if there isn't a new post made very often. This is yet another win-win.

One thing I disagree with is darkblade's idea for the 10-post bump limit. This is one thing that may not be the best for everyone. For an example if you look into the Blogscape boards you will see that it is all the higher level people that get the most attention. Others, such as myself, who are not known throughout the game don't get much attention on our blogs, so we may only get 1 or 2 post per day. Compared to the semi-well known people who have the "awesome" goals of 99 atk, slayer and such who recieve anywhere from 5 to 10 posts per day, if not more. If you add the 10-post bump limit then this will leave Blogs, like mine, back on the 4th or maybe 5th page before they reach the 10 posts needed to be bumped.. This makes it so people gazing at the threads are not able to see ours and yet we may never reach the 10 posts needed without having to add posts ourselves which will be considered meaningless..

^^^

The second restriction would prevent people from meaninglessly bumping old topics that hold very little relevance to today's time.

Other than the bump subject it all seems good.

well i assume that your going to make the forums look prettier! because pretty always looked good. i suggest making the buttons look well... not so times new roman if you know what i mean (boring because every one hates that font cause its always used for thesuses essays projects etc.) maybe like a readable font that looks cool too.

i also suggest being able to customize how you veiw the forums. i know that you can make it look black and watever other skins there are but what if you could combine them.... that would look totally sweet.... <3:

i also want more emoticons. i looooooooooove using those and sometime the emotion i want to enphasize isnt present in the emoticons =\.

a refresh button on the forum would be pretty bad [wagon] too. hmmmmm....

i fully support the preveiw signature but i suggest that there would be a button simaler too the button that i see under the check boxes when you make a post (next to the submit buttons for the people the people that are a little :XD: )

i think that the subject of a post is useless because i NEVER see any body use it before. one time when i was a noobie on the forums i saw the subject at the top when i made a post and thought it was absolutly crucial that you put that there and i put a subject there.....one time i didnt and thought i wouldnt have the post go through correctly :ohnoes:

i hope the cuss blocker will be removed but im posotive that it wont be done but dreamers can dream cant they?:roll: EDIT: i just recently found out [wagon] isnt blocked HA go tip it some one read the bible and found that jack [wagon] is mentioned in there O:) :thumbsup:

also i would suggest a favorites that would save the link to your favorite topic. i know that having to go to my e-mail to check up on my great friend silver24 7 is a pain in the [wagon].... (i think this is the most bestest idea i ever got im kinda proud of myself right now ::' \' ...)

and the ability to see all the posts youve made in the past. not like you know all 7000000k of them but you know within the last month/week/3 weeks or watever you guys prefer. (i like that suggestion... ::' )

My thoughts/complaint of this topic

i am the only one that has suggested something other than the sig preveiw and this stupid trivial merging of the f2p and p2p general forums. in my opinion i think that is mandatory like the sith guy said. so far i think every one is talking about the stupid merging. i vote that that topic is to be left alone untill every other suggestion is brought into the open. this is becoming a debate and not a suggestion topic. i HATE debates simply because theres always 2+ sides that are always in a triangle with each other. (you could make a little code thingy or something i dont know im not an internet expert just a critic)

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

[hide=The Sith quote]

A poster misunderstood what I meant about active participants in the General board(s). I wasn't insinuating that high post count means your opinion matters more - rather, I was encouraging people who DO participate on Gen P2P/F2P to post their comments about their experiences. Everyone is a "poster" in my book - and being active means you browse the boards at least weekly; replying to threads is not required.

Please consider a few things re: general boards:

- Descriptive titles. What's to stop people from adding a [F2P] tag to their topic title if they wish to differentiate themselves from the P2Pers?

- General F2P's activity. The board pales in comparison to the P2P board. Look at the threads per page - General F2P has some from Monday (almost Sunday); P2P has some from late Tuesday (yesterday). Merging them won't cause this influx of threads, pushing aside the P2P threads.

- Regarding activity and locks. Again, both P2P and General both have locked threads. Merging the boards would increase activity and move the locks past page one, leaving only discussion-worthy threads on the main page. The fact that the threads aren't moving that quickly on either board really shows that the merge won't be as drastic of a change as people think.

Combining the boards will NOT lose the thriving threads that people are talking about. The whole idea of having one board where the activity is much higher than any place else is the fact that users and their responses keep the interesting threads that people like reading alive. The forum is fast paced but at the same time, the topics people enjoy are always visible. General P2P can afford to have General F2P's topics added to it--and still maintain a healthy level of activity with the popular/interesting threads staying visible.

I find that there are interesting topics in both boards that could go either way, as they deal with RuneScape (not members, not free). Combining the boards would also improve POST QUALITY. Those complaining about quality on either board. Lack of new things to post about may be a factor. But I think it's the fact that the boards are moving slower than they ever have before. Even the slowest board on ScapeBoard (a long time ago) had posts 24 hours old spilling onto page two. The staff has split up the index so much that people are noticing the crappy threads more than they ever have before. This is probably the strongest reason to merge the boards - to keep quality at a maximum.

I'm not sure I understand how it would be harder to sift through discussions. Look at the topic titles and decide what topics you think are interesting. Right now, you can take a look at the first page in under ten minutes and know all the threads. With the addition of more activity to a single board, you'll be more likely to find new, exciting threads posted when you come back. This is not to say General P2P/F2P does not have interesting threads on them currently. But it will be more likely that you will see MORE interesting threads posted on a daily basis rather than simply skimming P2P for that one thread you want to see replies on.

Keep your mind open and focus on what would actually change the community. Maybe this setup isn't the ideal one - that's fine. But keep in mind that a lot of admins/staff have been at Tip.it for many years now - we wouldn't recommend changes if we didn't think it would improve the overall nature of the community. And while a lot of our previous updates may not have gotten rave reviews to start, they were certainly appreciated as time went on and the changes' usefulness came to light. It's our job to think for the future and what would serve the community best.

[/hide]

Well i agree you should merge general and general p2p because you can see too many of those "what's your favorite skill" kind of posts which is annoying so there is a need to merge the forum but you can't say all the forum people want/would want to read and discuss will remain because even now sometimes a good topic is lost.

So yes, no solution is perfect but that's the closest to perfect you can find (i think...) but i wouldn't say high quality threads/intresting threads will be on for as much as it desrves.

And sometimes a good topic is not even noticed for example because of a bad title. You think you would enter a topic with the title "NEW WAY TO STOP AUTOERS!!!", well some of you probably will but that title is too common and usualy will not be populer while a topic with the title "The Secrets of Lumbridge" will be more attractive and even if not as intresting as the first one it will still have more people reading it and thus, more people posting and discussing.

To sum up, you can't say high quality topics will be on for as much as they might deserve but merging f2p and p2p forums will be a better solution to avoid "if you could have any RS item in real life..." kind of topics.

dragonmghost,flava%20falcon.gif

support new ghostly stuff here.

I see RuneScape slowly turning into a sadistic version of WoW.

.signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you If

looking through, i would say that the majority of these posts are discussing the merge of the f2p and p2p general. just looking at the two, there is little on it that could be merged.

i am a member so at the top of my head cannot think of specific f2p discussions, but i am sure they exist...

heres my idea though. perhap we could have three forums:

•  
    [*:2fjkwlip] a strict f2p forum - perhaps talking about the behavior of f2pers, fun things to do, a f2p highscores chart...

discussion not talking directly about a f2p topic to be locked

[*:2fjkwlip] a strict p2p forum - perhaps talking about those things which are completely unrelated to f2p, such as new updates, member skills, minigames, etc

discussion about things which involve f2per could be locked

[*:2fjkwlip] and just a general forum, containing everything that can be related to f2p and p2p, such as pking, free skills, etc

this is just my suggestion, flame it or rip it if ya like, but i am sure this way would mean those people who want to read just f2p or just p2p can find select topics more easily

oh and btw, the other ideas sound fine, i never even new about the subforums in the help page :oops:

phaper.png

killing off the TET, one newb at a time :^_^:

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

looking through, i would say that the majority of these posts are discussing the merge of the f2p and p2p general. just looking at the two, there is little on it that could be merged.

i am a member so at the top of my head cannot think of specific f2p discussions, but i am sure they exist...

heres my idea though. perhap we could have three forums:

•  
    [*:1lxgpinv] a strict f2p forum - perhaps talking about the behavior of f2pers, fun things to do, a f2p highscores chart...

discussion not talking directly about a f2p topic to be locked

[*:1lxgpinv] a strict p2p forum - perhaps talking about those things which are completely unrelated to f2p, such as new updates, member skills, minigames, etc

discussion about things which involve f2per could be locked

[*:1lxgpinv] and just a general forum, containing everything that can be related to f2p and p2p, such as pking, free skills, etc

this is just my suggestion, flame it or rip it if ya like, but i am sure this way would mean those people who want to read just f2p or just p2p can find select topics more easily

oh and btw, the other ideas sound fine, i never even new about the subforums in the help page :oops:

Well if im not wrong the idea of merging the forum is created because of 2 reasons:

A)There are too many "junk" topics.

B)The "general" which was meant mostly for f2p is mostly NOT f2p (-ish).

So when it comes to that I think it means having a f2p ONLY forum will be almost useless and will have less than 2 or 3 topics a day (if any).

And besides, we are trying to turn 2 forums into 1 and you are trying to get 3? Thats the other way around LOL.

thanks for that flava, nice to see a good flaming

personally, i am proud that i can manage to reduce something by making it bigger \' if you make a forum which only f2p topics are allowed, then surely there would be less junk on it

it was just a thought anyway...

and if the f2p does have very few posts, it wouyld mean those good ones which get kicked off by all the junk on general currently would be seen.

basically i though the 3rd forum (general everything) could be the deposit of the junk, and have (mostly) decent stuff on the other two

its just that i think merging the forums would simply mean merging the junk as well, so yes it would end up being survival of the fittest as a mod said, but there would still be many good gems that get kicked down by a large number of junk/ more popular posts

phaper.png

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

personally, i am proud that i can manage to reduce something by making it bigger \' if you make a forum which only f2p topics are allowed, then surely there would be less junk on it

and if the f2p does have very few posts, it wouyld mean those good ones which get kicked off by all the junk on general currently would be seen.

basically i though the 3rd forum (general everything) could be the deposit of the junk, and have (mostly) decent stuff on the other two

its just that i think merging the forums would simply mean merging the junk as well, so yes it would end up being survival of the fittest as a mod said, but there would still be many good gems that get kicked down by a large number of junk/ more popular posts

Umm...Firstly i did not flame I explained why I think your idea is not good. Secondly"few posts" mean ALMOST none! None means no one will ever want to be there which means even less people will post threads there and it will be some sort of almost empty forum. And one last thing, combining the junk also means combining the good stuff and since junk is annoying and usualy not populer (as in not many people post there) it will be pushed to the 2nd/3rd page within minutes.

I believe that General F2P and P2P should be merged. I am a frequent browser of the General P2P forum and I think that some of the topics of late have being a bit lackluster. By merging General F2P and P2P, this should help remove these threads quicker and have better discussions. I find the General board has some good discussions going and by merging P2P and F2P, the quicker post rate should keep the good topics bumped and the bad topics slide.

Now, onto the Help boards. I am 100% for taking them back to the way they were. I think the subforums are pointless. For the volume of help threads posted, leaving it as one forum is better. I used to post in the Help and Advice forum a lot but I tend to leave it now as I don't like going through three different subforums. By having a single forum, posters can get their answer much quicker as all people looking to give Advice only have to go to one area. Originally, with one forum, there wasn't an overly large volume of questions and you could get some good answers fairly quickly. Like I've said, with three subforums, there are just not enough people reading the separate subforum to get an answer, you can get a much more quick and efficient answer with more opinions by just having one forum.

As for the Clue boards and the RSC boards, I don't use them so I can't really give an opinion on those.

I also think that the Player Made Guides subforums should be merged back into one. Looking on the Skills PMG, there are guides upto five days since a post and the Monsters, Money Making etc PMG has guides upto eight days since a post. I think that keeping one subforum for these would be better, if we are having guides upto eight days since a post still on the first page. This way, the better guides will stay in the first page and the ones people don't like will drift down.

Well, they're my opinions.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I like all suggestions except the p2p f2p general merge. It will be harder and I feel it will result in more spam from f2p players on p2p boards.

Have you seen the official forums? Frankly I don't like your elitist insinuation there. Just because someone has less money/time, or is more miserly, than us, doesn't mean that they spam or are any less intelligent.

I do see a merge as the way to go. A faster forum is neccessarily better, as more people will post, and better threads survive. I also see it as being the most contentious change. And if they don't merge, at least rename it 'General F2P'.

Can I make a request for a 'Quick Reply' option, if that is possible technically.

I wasn't saying it was elitist.. I wasn't saying you had a lower IQ... but as a f2p player you don't know alot of information about the p2p world and so I think it would result in more spam as you would be urged to comment on p2p subjects even though you're f2p.

I apologise for any offence meant, but please understand the meaning of my posts before insinuating I meant offence to you.

Sig.jpg

I've read most of the previous 4 pages and in general I agree with the changes proposed.

Merging the General P2P and F2P forums would be good for the reasons stated by the tallest, sith and others. All the 'have you seen' 'what did you do' general topics can be interesting but they swamp the discussions on changes in RS and their effects on gameplay - e.g. how does the upgraded crossbow and the dark bow affect weapon choices for rangers.

I see a few of these fairly erudite threads in both General and Help and Advice and yes they can be slow moving but for developing one's game play are extremely informative. Unfortunatley, it is not easy to find these types of threads and will be made worse by the merging of the General and Help and Advice forums. I'm not certain the Rants or Debate Forums are the right place either. AOW and its current sub forums are probably not the right place at the moment as not all discussion will start with a guide, although such discussion may well influence guides.

So the upshot is, the changes look good but consider adding a forum (or sub forum) that deals with the changes to game play and updates made by Jagex - similar to the discussion that goes on (sometimes) in the Recent Updates on RSOF but hopefully with less duplicate threads and slower moving.

Helios

Helios_Gamos.png

Quod liet ingratum est; Quod non licet acrius urit.

(meant to say "flava0falcon's quote", but the thing wouldnt work...)

[hide]

Umm...Firstly i did not flame I explained why I think your idea is not good. Secondly"few posts" mean ALMOST none! None means no one will ever want to be there which means even less people will post threads there and it will be some sort of almost empty forum. And one last thing, combining the junk also means combining the good stuff and since junk is annoying and usualy not populer (as in not many people post there) it will be pushed to the 2nd/3rd page within minutes.

[/hide]

okay you win, i guess i was wrong...

the 'flaming' bit wasn't serious anyways, didnt point that out. sorry.

readin the_tallest1's quote at the top of the page i realise that the combined forums would not move as fast as previously thought...

and clearly the main discussions are about p2p anyway

my final revised suggestion, with no more arguements (i hope), would be a f2p sticky or something, or a subforum with stickied f2p topics on it. i KNOW there are some interesting f2p things out there, such as the highscore thing (is that still going?) and i would thing that some f2p peeps would want to at least have some way of posting without the clearly overwhelming p2p topics...

phaper.png

latestsig-1.png