Any use for the new potions?

cardovilian

I originally posted this on the Barb Update thread, but there don't seem to any answers coming through to the question at the end, so I'm starting a new thread:

These new potions seem a bit of a letdown. Basically they are exactly the same as the original pot but give you a few HP on top, in other words its as if you dropped a shrimp or mackerel in before you drank it. All well and good but for one thing - they can only be 2-dose, so as far as their principal function goes, you'll need to carry twice as many. Since the most hp each vial can provide is 12, you are basically taking away an inventory space which could have held a shark and filling it with a lobster - and sometimes you'll be eating or potting when you don't need to.

That's the initial impression I get anyway. Can anyone think of situations where these things will be useful?

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't think there's any situation where you would need these new potions. They seem like another of Jagex's dud updates to me.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Some of the potions are useful, not all of them.

They would ALL be useful if it wasn't limited to 2 dose, but to 3 or 4 instead.

However, the agility pot is useful in the brimhaven agility arena. Don't bring food, just bring pots, and drink when you get lowl. Gives you a free agility boost too. Doesn't over heal you.

That is the one I can think of now. Maybe sara brews? Or (if anyone actually uses) offsetting the damage taken by zammy brews?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Some of the potions are useful, not all of them.

They would ALL be useful if it wasn't limited to 2 dose, but to 3 or 4 instead.

However, the agility pot is useful in the brimhaven agility arena. Don't bring food, just bring pots, and drink when you get lowl. Gives you a free agility boost too. Doesn't over heal you.

That is the one I can think of now. Maybe sara brews? Or (if anyone actually uses) offsetting the damage taken by zammy brews?

Surely a 4 dose agility pot and a shark would do the same job, with just a minimal weight increase and a 4hp loss? That would also mean you were free to pot when the effect wore off, not when you needed the hp.

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Possibly Saradomin brew, healing over 20 per dose? Even with only 2 doses, it's still 40 hp in one inventory slot.

I'm not a member at the moment, so I can't test it, but according to the KB, sara brews can't be made into mixes.

There are 10 types of people in the world:

* Those who understand binary

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

Possibly Saradomin brew, healing over 20 per dose? Even with only 2 doses, it's still 40 hp in one inventory slot.

Well at least I'm getting some response now. This is one potion I thought might benefit from the update, but as I have no experience of using it, I

didn't know for sure.

EDIT: Above posted as I wrote this I guess - Bugger! There goes the only use we can come up with!

newsighq9.jpg

At 99 HP, a brew heals/restores 16 HP (See here).

Since it already heals it would be 100% pointless for there to be a "Saradomin mix", because in Jagex's eyes it's "too powerful" to enchance further.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I agree with the posts here...from a combat stand point these new potions offer little.....

However, if you are trying to raise herblore, it would seem like adding fish eggs would be a cheap and easy to get a lot of herblore xp.......but i dont have any extra bank space atm to try this... :S

I agree with the posts here...from a combat stand point these new potions offer little.....

However, if you are trying to raise herblore, it would seem like adding fish eggs would be a cheap and easy to get a lot of herblore xp.......but i dont have any extra bank space atm to try this... :S

Yes but your gonna ruin a helluva lot of valuable potions in the process. I like to sell my excess Supersets, Prayers etc. to pay for my secondaries. You wont be seeing me dumping fish fertiliser in mine!

newsighq9.jpg

i might just turn all my normal att and str pots into these, then i can use them on mid lvl monsters and i wont need to bring food...

I was goona put something really cool here...but then I put this :(

Yes but your gonna ruin a helluva lot of valuable potions in the process. I like to sell my excess Supersets, Prayers etc. to pay for my secondaries. You wont be seeing me dumping fish fertiliser in mine!

You dont have to do it on the most valuable ones...but i'v got a ton of fishing, and low level pots i've never used anyways.... :-w

four dose pot + shark = 4 dose, 20 hp

two 2 dose new pot = 2*(2 dose + 12 hp) = 4 dose, 24 hp

OK fair enough on the maths point, but to use the 24 hp you have to pot when you don't need to. If you're in a situation where pots and food are both necessary, you usually won't be potting as often as you eat.

newsighq9.jpg

Unfortunately these seem to be a total waste of an herblore update from Jagex... I wish they would just make a unique herb update without trying to incorporate it into a crummy minigame / game expansion.

(And yes, with 87 herb and 93 farm atm, of course I'd like to see more high lvl potions or new high lvl farm-able herbs added...)

RSN: Greedom1 | QP 248+ | Combat 116 | Total 1920+ | Skills 95 craft, 99 farm, 88 herb, 91 mage, 85 slayer

Values? What do they mean?

At 99 HP, a brew heals/restores 16 HP (See here).

Since it already heals it would be 100% pointless for there to be a "Saradomin mix", because in Jagex's eyes it's "too powerful" to enchance further.

I just noticed Saradomin brews could not be Fish-ized. I foolishly thought all consumable potions could be changed.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

apparently a fish-egged prayer potion can restore up to around 35 points a dose (the downside being it can also restore as few as 7). I also noticed that a few of the potions give bonus effects (such as extended poison immunity).

sir%20nomad.gif

apparently a fish-egged prayer potion can restore up to around 35 points a dose (the downside being it can also restore as few as 7). I also noticed that a few of the potions give bonus effects (such as extended poison immunity).

The regular potion gives the same immunities, I doubt there are any extra ones for only 1 or 2 pots.

I think a possible use for these potions would be in the fight caves, to help reduce the need for Saradomin brews. Most of the damage you take is gradual over a long time, so that you don't really need the emergency healing power of a brew. As such, what you could do instead is "fishize" a few of your prayer/super restore potions so that you can heal without needing to use as many extra potions (obviously you'd still want a couple of brews in case of emergencies). Using this method would help reduce the cost of the fight caves by several k each run, which could add up if you do the caves a lot.

Im toying with the idea of fishized energy pots instead of purple sweets for desert hunter without desert robes.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"