Website Maitnence!!

fat_klutz

It says the only thing down is the create a new account, maybe they are going to add something like you have to put in an e-mail and activate your account before you start playing. That would slow down the bots, no? Personally I think if they made you use an e-mail and only let you register one account a week it would stop the bots but w/e. Anybody else think they might be doing something like this or just simply working on the website.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Yes an email would be a good idea. In rsc, to suscribe, you needed to input everything, recovery details, name, email, and so on. I think they stopped doing that to attract more players because of how easy it became to suscribe.

2480+ total

It says the only thing down is the create a new account, maybe they are going to add something like you have to put in an e-mail and activate your account before you start playing. That would slow down the bots, no? Personally I think if they made you use an e-mail and only let you register one account a week it would stop the bots but w/e. Anybody else think they might be doing something like this or just simply working on the website.

once a week? Why not make it like 3 or 4 per email. Then they'd be making new emails every couple of days and I don't know about you, but that's a pain in the [wagon].

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

the thing that will kill autos is the weird thing where yuo type 5 random letters. it will wype 'em out. lol dk why they havnt done it ÃÆÃâÃâýet.

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

the thing that will kill autos is the weird thing where yuo type 5 random letters. it will wype 'em out. lol dk why they havnt done it ÃÆÃâÃâýet.

If you mean a 5 random letters thing when registering.. then the player will just type them himself when creating an account.

If you mean a 5 random letter IN game it was already tried in RSC with the sleeping bag and was a total failure.

Hell+Raven.png

Forget email verification, autoers have e-mails, and if you simply own a domain you could create infinite email accounts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the true way to just blow up autoers is CAPTCHA. If you haven't heard about it before you should really read the Wikipedia article on it. It's the key way to stop autoers, or at least slow them down.

tipitsig.png

E-Mail verificatoin won't work. Maybe CAPTCHA as some people above said. It makes it so that you can't automatically make multiple accounts. The owner will have to create each one which will take much longer.

j0xPu5R.png

Well, as the notice says "Website maintenence, I think they're just doing website maintenece and nothing else. Probably just checking everything still works the way it should. May make the script for making the accounts a bit cleaner so it doesn't take up too much server space

Forget email verification, autoers have e-mails, and if you simply own a domain you could create infinite email accounts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the true way to just blow up autoers is CAPTCHA. If you haven't heard about it before you should really read the Wikipedia article on it. It's the key way to stop autoers, or at least slow them down.

In RSC they had the sleeping bag, which had a CAPTCHA, but it didn't work. The problem is that a human can answer the CAPTCHA then let the autoer run with it :|

It would need to be done often enough that the autoers aren't being run enough to make it worthwhile.

But that would be an inconvenience to the real players.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Making gold untradeable would work. :-s

I like the email verification thing though, jagex has the incentive to do it since they can advertise that way.

I doubt that visual test thing (capcha is it?) would be very convenient for the human players. The one in RSC got frustrating, and i doubt anything of the sort ingame would be successful.

And as for doing in account creation, i thought the accounts were created manually, but just run by a bot after passing tutorial island.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I think Jagex are also very concerned about email spoofing and phishing, so are unlikely in any immediate timeframe to implement email verification processes.

Making gold untradeable would work. :-s

I like this idea, but it's a bit overkill. Just max the amount of gold to be traded on its own to 1k. Would also affect people trying to help each other out with loans/gifts, but they'll get over it =;

P.S. - If not immediately obvious, I am joking ...

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

The current random events are a form of CAPTCHA, just not the traditional "type in the distorted word" style (which was used in RSC sleeping bags and quite a failure). Asking "which of these spinning things is a bagette?" should be very hard for a bot to figure out, and I see alot of bots in Catherby get caught by it. The trouble is after being teleported away the bots can just find their way back and keep going. Maybe the punishment for getting it wrong needs to be tougher, but then you don't want to punish people who just click in the wrong place too much.

Wow, did I get off topic there or what?

Ummmm, probably just server maintenance. Upgrading or moving to a different server can take some time. I guess they don't have a redundant server for creating new characters as it's not that critical.

crazykiwi - http://www.rsdrop.com

Ummmm, probably just server maintenance. Upgrading or moving to a different server can take some time. I guess they don't have a redundant server for creating new characters as it's not that critical.

They made a post on Recent Updates, the topic can be found here.

My response to the update: When people joined/left a channel, the messages were not "spammy". I, and everyone else on the channels I talk on, agree that it was very helpful to know when people join and leave, otherwise you're constantly checking the Clan Chat interface to see if the person you want to talk to is still there. I've even been in a chat talking to myself because I didn't know the rest of my clan had left. :XD:

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

Although using email to activate your account and such is a good idea and being able to limit it to a certain amount per email address would be a good idea. But Jagex doesn't want to contact people via email so they can't have fake emails sent out which just scam your passwords and such.

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

CAPTCHA is the only thing that would work... but unfortunately, Jagex is blind to the bot problem when they have 500,000 accounts made by 8-year olds, which all generate income for them. Quite simply, Jagex could care less about the bot problem because they have to make sure the little 8-year olds can still sign up, because reading, comprehending, and re-typing the 5 letter verification code from the CAPTCHA system is simply too difficult for the idiotic 8-year olds that have overrun this game.

signatureforkam42705lorpj5.jpg

i mean wth no1 cares about that weak noob that was scared of the great almighty lord ZAROS!