Aug 15, 2007: Dev diaries and themed worlds update

Omali

We have made some slight changes to those worlds that have been designated as themed worlds. This is because themed activities were causing lag on certain servers, while they weren't on others; some servers are simply much more able to cope with hundreds of people all crowded together into one Castle Wars game, for example.

With this in mind, it makes sense to move a few of our server themes onto worlds that can cope with the levels of activity.

Our first choice was always to select worlds that players had unofficially chosen for an activity and, where possible, we have tried to keep these activities on their chosen servers. The reduction of lag on a world, we now realise, is far more important - particularly if that world cannot cope with large numbers playing something server-intensive like Pest Control.

It's time for another Development Diary. This time we're looking at the Audio team and how they create all of the varied music and sound effects for RuneScape. There's also a reproduction of the music notes from the main theme song of the God Wars Dungeon - 'Armageddon'. Those of you with musical leanings might like to play it for yourselves, to get a taste of what's to come...

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Oops, kinda make me feel bad for putting all RS music on mute and listening to my own after all the effort these guys put in.

yeah, me too. Even though i knew how much effort it takes before. ( i can do it too)

but oh well. they should fonrce us to listen to it bny removing mute button!> ::' :XD:

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Oops, kinda make me feel bad for putting all RS music on mute and listening to my own after all the effort these guys put in.

yeah, me too. Even though i knew how much effort it takes before. ( i can do it too)

but oh well. they should fonrce us to listen to it bny removing mute button!> ::' :XD:

this is a game, not a dictatorship!

I wish they had actually put a preview to armageddon.

The internet: A place where the men are men, the women are men, and 13 year old girls are FBI agents.
looks like WoW's interface.

Were you too lazy to read 3 posts above or too stupid to comprehend it?

Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Who is that man?

Me too. O_o i'm gonna listen to the music today. Might be different than a year ago when i last listened to it =p

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Me too. O_o i'm gonna listen to the music today. Might be different than a year ago when i last listened to it =p

I felt so bad after reading that, I actually played with music on..

It was horrible

Why do we bake cookies, but cook bacon

99/99/80+ looking for monster hunting group

RS07: mb nb

I like their music most of the time :D But it DOES lack lyrics...

Meh, it's still fairly good, and you can turn it off if you like ;)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

If there is serious interest in hearing the new god wars dungeon music, I suppose I could do something. It doesn't look like it would be that hard.

Trophy Fish Caught: 3/3

99 Woodcutting 10-30-05

99 Firemaking 2-22-06

99 Fletching 9-27-07

If there is serious interest in hearing the new god wars dungeon music, I suppose I could do something. It doesn't look like it would be that hard.

what are you waiting for!! :wink:

Now my homeworld (53) is a PC world. oh noes, I see the PC prodicts comming #-o

lol @ the piano pic.

Audio2.jpg

219365.png

The plus side of using their own soundbank is consistency (or that they can tweak the sounds if they wish, a model which would be closer to MOD than MID).

The disadvantage of not simply recommending the large Java soundbank, is that it makes the sounds another download element in the client.

I've already transcribed the notation into MIDI format. To be honest, the tune ain't that great. It's very... chaotic, to be straight. Lots of things that don't make really any sense to me, just like hitting random notes. Especially the first track, Strings. Total non-sense. But well, can't wait to hear the full version. Could be good, as there's a thin line between chaotic and genious :)

The piano pic is from that silly penguin quest if I'm not mistaken.

Anybody know a site that could host my MIDI version of this track?

EDIT: And for the E key request: It's kind of tricky to do since the song really doesn't follow any key. It's hard to decide which of the instruments is even "lead". At least the flute, which has kind of dominating effect on this one hasn't got a specific (common) key.