Runescape (the name)

Guest Kickpointy

I feel that it is really supposed to be interpreted as Rune Quest. Rune for the runes found throughout the game, both in the magical aspect and as in runes (ruins, folklores, explanations) of the gods. The gods and the backround of the world is partly explained due to histories in the knowledge base and are explained in quests.

The second part is for Scape, or "scaping". I feel this translates into questing, and questing for knowledge of the runes and lores. Therefore, the many quests that explain the runes and storyline are what the game is named for. Runescape.

I really don't think they called it Runescape due to runite armour, because due to the low levels required and the fact that they would not base a game around weak weaponry or armour.

Tetris is about using the equal force of the working power to build up the glorious people's republic of Russia....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic has been around since the game started, it was an original stat of course.

However in the start of runescape, there were two types of magic.

goodnbadmagic.gif

Alot of the early classic quests were magical based or had some sort of magical properties.

Demon Slayer, Imp Catcher, Witches potion, plus areas like stonehendge below varrock, wizards toward near draynor most of the game's landscape and folk were affected by magic. Since you must have runes to cast magic, and the entire game is affected by it , it makes sense the LandSCAPE is affected by runes.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I thought rune was something elemental so I thought it was an UBER FANTASTICAL game but turns out it isn't.

And its called Runescape but Rune isn't the best armor..? :?

At one point it was...

Considering there was at least 2 months between runescapes release and the release of rune armour this theory is bs anyway.

Runescape is a clear reference to it being a scape of rune(s)

Rune(s) being the magic stone

Scape being a term meaning an area containting the affor mention word eg landscape a scape of land

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well, if you consider it as Run Escape, that's basically what Level 3's have to do to escape from the endless hordes of monsters... Like the level 5 Highwaymen... Or the Hobgoblins or Scorpions. They run a lot. But usually they don't escape, resulting in annoying topics on the RSOF.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Well Runes and Capes Merge it together Runescape

Capes don;t have much to do with the game, though, so that seems slightly pointless...unless you;re joking. Then hahahahaha. Smiley for effect: :XD:

Capes don't have much to do with the game?

All I hear about nowadays is players spending 100+ hours on the game, trying to get some silly little item called a "Skill cape"

Weird.

Clever on Jagex's end, seeing as they named it 'RuneScape' years before they made Skill Capes. Nice job.

I always thought Rune was about the Runite armor/weaponry, and Scape meaning Landscape.

Clever indeed, seeing as how runite armor wasn't around when RSC started. Nice Job

The-Road-2.gif

Siggy By...me! ^^

If you've got any tips on sig making, photoshop in general, or a recommendation on a good DSLR to get me started, pm me =]

A land of magic. Of course, this isn't always true when this is happening:

12-year-old boy on Runescape talking to a girl: cex plz.

Girl that is really a man: OK. Give me 10k gp first.

12-year-old boy: (Gives money) k cex plz.

"Girl": k. (runs off)

kingtut3.png

I think Rune signifies magic, and scape is an area of land. Together I think the name is suppoesed to give the impression of a Magical World or Runescape.

Guide to Everything Fletching XBL: Karmastocracy

li_Karma_il.png

li_Karma_il.png

signature-bar-white.gif

[stumbleupon]

* Sits on a mossy rock with a notebook in hand, observing the behavior of the specimens dubbed "Fanboys"

~

"Even when the odds are against you, even when the chance of victory is bleak and your situation looks hopeless, take a look at the horizon, and think back to what you have learned. You'll be filled with the confidence to take on the world."

Well Runes and Capes Merge it together Runescape

Capes don;t have much to do with the game, though, so that seems slightly pointless...unless you;re joking. Then hahahahaha. Smiley for effect: :XD:

Capes don't have much to do with the game?

All I hear about nowadays is players spending 100+ hours on the game, trying to get some silly little item called a "Skill cape"

Weird.

Clever on Jagex's end, seeing as they named it 'RuneScape' years before they made Skill Capes. Nice job.

I always thought Rune was about the Runite armor/weaponry, and Scape meaning Landscape.

ya same i always thought it was rune for magic/armor and scape as in landscape

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

Rune's Cape. :o

D'oh :shock:

There was once called a warrior named Rune, he was so famous he got armour and ores named after him. He also had a special cape and that's when Jagex made a game about him and called it: Runescape. :XD:

They couldn't make Rune's Cape so they left out the ' and the space and you get Runescape. <3:

Gosh i'm smart. :ohnoes:

ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang m8

Someone was proably interested in runic writing, symbols on RuneScape's runes maybe have somthing to do with symbols in Runic alphabet? And somehow combine it with scapes... for example, log in screen, there are two columns with two scapes.

I still stand by my name Rune's cause you cast magic and cape =X

Runes

Capes Think about it itll like BLOW YOUR MIND!

maghrassigjh0.gif

Proud Mother Of Two Girls

Proud Player Of Rune Scape

Proud And Loveing Angel Maghras Strong As A Robot =X

I think its because of rune stones. Also because on the RS Login page, the word "RuneScape" is written on stones, and there are some burners making rune symbol shaped smoke. (Sorry about the bad explanation, but you know what I'm talking about. Do you? :-s )

coza17.png

Well the Rune part is easy > > The name rune scape brings it out Theres Rune Letters runes we use for magic =X

maghrassigjh0.gif

Proud Mother Of Two Girls

Proud Player Of Rune Scape

Proud And Loveing Angel Maghras Strong As A Robot =X