rule 11 - is it really beneficial to RuneScape?

ixfd64

If someone asks for quest help or others, and you refer to a fansite, you won't be punished as long as it's a well-known fansite such as tip.it

Otherwise all urls aren't allowed. And I do agree that the rules aren't clear enough...

Besides keeping players safe, I have a wild guess that a side benefit is that Jagex wants to keep people on Runescape and not lose them to other games. And since you cannot advertise another game, there it is.

i personally find it a use but at the same ttime it serves no purpose.

for 1 all the autoers, its abvious there scamming but wat if their saying things like tip.it, runehq (which i never use), etc....more and more ppl would know there not scams.......so i find that it can have benifets to it

rackleman.gif

dragon drops:12

barrows drops:33

~98% of rs players have attempted a scam. If

your one of the 2% who haven't, copy this into your sig..

There are a lot of idiots who think that RuneHQ, Tip.it, Zybez, are official sites that are affiliated with Jagex. (just like some idiots think that Official Xbox Magazine actually makes the games they talk about) The chance of this happening is probably even greater if they see people talk about the sites ingame. Jagex doesn't want this for many reasons, including liability and security.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

The rules fine.

Jagex cant go through every site checking if its clean or a scam site

theres absolutely no reason why you have to say a site in game, if your trying to help someone out add them on an instant messenger or something.

Asking for an instant message name would also be against the rules and reportable.

How so?

If i say whats your aim screen name, im not advertising a site and its not personal considering you cant really do much more than chat with them which your already able to do and as for videos and pictures thats your own choice if you want to send and recieve thouse, but aim doesnt have any rules against that.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

I personally don't agree with many viewpoints on this thread. The idea that a website unrelated to RS is any more safer to you and your computer than an RS-related site. Advertising sites like MySpace and Youtube is probbly more dangerous in the sense you can provide a real life picture of yourself. We have that rule on the Tip.It forums for a good reason, and I've seen a few people on BlogScape and the Gallery fall foul of it.

My solution would be to advocate the three main respected fansites (in order of popularity, RuneHQ, Zybez, and Tip.It). That way, players could have an alternative source of information, and go there in the knowledge they're not about to download any malicious software. Yes, it's favouritism, but surely it's more effective at protecting RS players than this rule?

It is interesting that tip.it used to be listed on the mainpage as a fansite, and know you cna be banned for tellign people about it. Its there to protect stupid or nieve people who don't understand the dangers of going to certain websites.

Personally I think it was better when Jagex actually listed the good fansites but sinc ethey dont do that, no ingame aadvertising is probably best.

If someone asks for quest help or others, and you refer to a fansite, you won't be punished as long as it's a well-known fansite such as tip.it

Otherwise all urls aren't allowed. And I do agree that the rules aren't clear enough...

Besides keeping players safe, I have a wild guess that a side benefit is that Jagex wants to keep people on Runescape and not lose them to other games. And since you cannot advertise another game, there it is.

Maybe, and maybe not. 4 black marks for saying, "hold on a sec, im checking the price on zybez" and for anyone who doesn't know what zybez is, it has probably the biggest database of runescape items.

213360.png

The rule is totally fine.

Legitimate players can tell thier friends to check out any fan site they want.

Tip.it, Runehq etc are all site names and anyone who is capable of clicking to play rs is equally able to type these names into google to find the sites.

All it does is stop you saying http://www.tip.it

Since 90% of scam sites have stupid address like http://www.zynem.bu.uk/froid/dem.xl and don;t have legtimate names tht will come up on goggle it makes it virtually impossible to say these without punishment.

The only fansite thing that can cause issues is tip.it, I got a black mark for saying it once, but got it removed because I appealed pointing out i was saying a sites name and not directly giving the address or saying this is the address

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I have had a 2-day mute and a blackmark for telling other people my clan site. The blackmark was removed after I sent in a complaint to JAGeX.

So yes, I think it is necessary to have this rule, especially for all the auto-talkers you see these days in f2p advertising sites that sell rs gold and items. Innocent people may get muted for a few days because of this rule, but it is necessary.

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

The rule does have a purpose. However, I will question the enforcement of it. If a player advertises a "clean" site, the most they should get (1st offense) is a 1-7 day mute.

This would cause a need to either check every site or to thread different sites in a different way. Imagine what kind of a riot it would cause if player X got banned for advertising TIF while his friend Y didn't for advertising RSC. In my eyes this current way of stating it is the easiest for all parties: now we know exactly that sites (rs.com) we can advertise and what we can't (rest).

I've also been thinking of a juridical reason for this rule. If someone got keylogged and lost for example his internet bank passes because of it, it could cause problems to Jagex. Now when even rules make it clear (and you gotta accept the rules when you join the world of RS) that it's not allowed to advertise sites, everyone should always have their bells ringing when they see some site being spammed out.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

I am not a player mod myself, although I was informed by someone who did have access to the player mod center recently.

It clearly states that people should not be reported for saying the URL or naming a clan website or a fansite. I know this is a direct contradiction to what it says on the main site, but from that we can probably surmise that Jagex cares very little, and they realize how futile this is.

Hopefully this discourages people from trying. And yes there are people still banned for fansite or clansite advertising, but that's generally because Jagex doesn't look through the appeals. Player Mods are instructed to NOT report these as offenses.

I am not a player mod myself, although I was informed by someone who did have access to the player mod center recently.

It clearly states that people should not be reported for saying the URL or naming a clan website or a fansite. I know this is a direct contradiction to what it says on the main site, but from that we can probably surmise that Jagex cares very little, and they realize how futile this is.

Hopefully this discourages people from trying. And yes there are people still banned for fansite or clansite advertising, but that's generally because Jagex doesn't look through the appeals. Player Mods are instructed to NOT report these as offenses.

Jagex needs to clean these kind of things up. I personally really don't like unenforced rules. It means that everybody is only restricted by their own fear. I would suggest that Jagex can list some legitimate sites, but I think that will cause more problems than help.

I think that Jagex should enforce ANYTHING which goes against the rules. However, I believe that they had to make the sacrifice of restricting players from advertising legitimate sites just for the sake of the possible chance of misfiling a scam site as legitimate and causing serious problems. Perhaps they can work on doing that in the future, but I think that they have more important rules to be working on, notably Rule 7- Using Third Party Software, and Rule 12 - Real World Item Trading.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The rule says specifically that you should not advertise websites. That even includes clan websites and fansites. Anybody could deceive newbies about going to w/ww.********.com for "great tips and help" and then that person would lose his account. I think the rule is fair because it protects the players from more than account hacking.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

I ask Jagex about this a few days ago, they pretty much said that they could not garentee that tipit is safe. I understand compleatly, so i guess i wont tell anyone to go to tip.it for help...

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Yes, it's beneficial.

It may not stop all but stop some. The point of the whole game is to just have fun and use whatever Jagex provides you on their official site. (even though it's much more fun with, for example, TIF of course :P)

Even if, like you said, it doesn't stop accounts simply made to break rules, it's there to try and prevent, and to make sure they're caught more easily if they try and break one of the rules.

So even if it isn't one of the most effective and fair rules in some cases, it's there to avoid bigger things than advertising the tip.it site for example. Therefore, in my opinon, it's worth it.

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

It clearly states that people should not be reported for saying the URL or naming a clan website or a fansite.

:uhh:

Thats just bull. I'm not telling you how mods do it, but I know they take action against any website mentioned (Except for the runescape website of course).

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

Ever notice that Tip.it is one of the few uncensored Rs related sites? :)

But yeah, R 11 is more there to give the impression of work than to actually do anything..

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Just a "minor" logic mistake:

Who are the ones you need to tell the address of the helpsite? - Ones who yet doesn't know it. Even if Jagex makes a list of acceptable helpsites (which they don't: they have chosen to make Knowledge base of their own and as we now even well known help sites suffer from serious security issues from time to time) people who know sites on list have no need to ask for addresses as they would already know.

So one being told address of the helpsite can't tell if one trying to help him out is up to good or not.