rule 11 - is it really beneficial to RuneScape?

ixfd64

In late 2002, Jagex added rule 11, which states that players cannot advertise websites. However, probably due to the fear of a backlash, Jagex did not announce the rule on the main page, and some people were banned for advertising legitimate sites (such as tip.it).

Jagex claims that this is to prevent phishing scams. True, if people did not advertise, then phishing scams would be useless. Unfortunately, scammers don't care about the rules. They will create "disposable" accounts that they could care less about if they were banned. Essentially, all rule 11 does is punish legitimate players, who can't tell their friends to "check out tip.it for quest guides" without the fear of getting banned.

What do you think?

Personally, I think that this rule is useless, and does nothing to stop scammers. As pro-gun people say in regards to gun-free zones: criminal nutjobs do not care about the law.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I disagree somewhat, thsi rule at least gives the impression to outsiders & players that they are trying to do something about it, despite the ineffectiveness.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

The rule does have a purpose. However, I will question the enforcement of it. If a player advertises a "clean" site, the most they should get (1st offense) is a 1-7 day mute.

+1, I think that the punishment is a bit strict

To the thread author: I understand what you are trying to say, but still, if this rule wasn't put in place, then those phishers and scammers would also have free reign. They need this rule in place for a basis of punishment for these "phishers/scammers"

~Ddaanniiellh

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

What your saying is quite true, however, having the rule does decrease the amount of those who don't want to go through the hassle of phishing, though, you will get scammed if the person is dedicated. This rule also does put an imprint of positivity amongst new, and semi-old players, that gives users the satisfaction Jagex is still trying to do something to help the players.

I think legit FanSites, and clan forums however should be allowed to be advertised, if not, the punishment for legit sites shouldn't be a ban, more like a 2 hour mute. :-#

I feel that the person should receive a number of black marks if they mention a legit site. If it's a scam site, they should receive a 3 day mute.

shouldnt that be the other way round?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

go to w/ww._______.com for AWESOME RuneScape tips and forum members who buy stuff for TONS of $$$!!!!

w/ww._______.com contains:

Trojan

Spyware

Keylogger

and more!!!!

But you get a good guide. ::'

EDIT: Made it so the .com isn't a link... even though it isn't real anyways.

Rule 11 gives them a reason to ban tonnes of scammers/phisers etc... It delays them so that it will be a few hours longer before they can advertise again.

If they get like 3 accounts banned every week, he may eventually give up, one would hope!

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!

Have you not seen all of the advertising bots lately? They are trying to get players to buy RS gold or go to a website that will steal their account.

Although I understand where you're coming from with the disposable account argument, the ingame bot advertising problem would be much worse without this rule. Hopefully if enough of these bots get banned, they will get tired of making new accounts and sending them through tutorial island.

Also, without this rule, more innocent players would have their accounts stolen from visiting an advertised website and more players might be influenced to buy RS gold.

Rule 11 is not meant to punish players that mention a major fansite in passing, it protects players accounts more that anything.

K_G_Is_Me.png

It's frustrating, but if the rule was not there, there would be more people advertising, even higher-level players. When I see a level 3 advertising a website, I know it is gonna be malicious, but if a level 123 is advertising a malicious website, the lower-levels might go just in interest and end up in trouble.

lalalasig2.png

In late 2002, Jagex added rule 11, which states that players cannot advertise websites. However, probably due to the fear of a backlash, Jagex did not announce the rule on the main page, and some people were banned for advertising legitimate sites (such as tip.it).

Jagex claims that this is to prevent phishing scams. True, if people did not advertise, then phishing scams would be useless. Unfortunately, scammers don't care about the rules. They will create "disposable" accounts that they could care less about if they were banned. Essentially, all rule 11 does is punish legitimate players, who can't tell their friends to "check out tip.it for quest guides" without the fear of getting banned.

What do you think?

Personally, I think that this rule is useless, and does nothing to stop scammers. As pro-gun people say in regards to gun-free zones: criminal nutjobs do not care about the law.

It doesn't matter if it was not posted on the front page. Players should read Runescape's Rules Frequently. There is no word against Jagex In that rule. Yes, It makes Runescape loose buisness somtimes. Also, It gets players hacked. Without the rule many players would be uptight about the loosing of their accounts.

Everyone Runescape rule is neccessery, That is why jagex put it as one. Jagex wouldn't make a rule for nothing.

<3: O'Ducky

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

I do get where Jagex are coming with the creation of this rule, but I do not believe they should punish people who mention major good sites like Tip.It

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't think they ban people for providing links to legitimate sites; clan sites or fan sites. If they say 'buy free gold here - *' then that would be against the rules. Other sites such as clan sites I don't think they ban people for.

Signiture1-1.gif

99 Magic, 99 Defence, 99 Strength, 99 Attack, 99 Hitpoints, 99 Fletching, 99 Woodcutting, 99 Firemaking, 99 Thieving, 99 Ranged, 99 Prayer, 99 Cooking, 99 Fishing

The rules fine.

Jagex cant go through every site checking if its clean or a scam site

theres absolutely no reason why you have to say a site in game, if your trying to help someone out add them on an instant messenger or something.

Asking for an instant message name would also be against the rules and reportable.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

Iv yet to get muted for advertising YouTube to tell someone to see my videos :-#

Knock on wood. I'm dead serious.

Rule 11 actually is quite beneficial to the community, since it keeps people from advertising their bot programs, their gold-trading sites, and most of all, it keeps fansites from getting a leg-up on others from having a boost of advertisement in-game. (Word of mouth served 'em well for nigh on seven years; why should it steer them wrong now?)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think it should only count for runescape-related websites.

The wording is messed up anyway, advertising is deiferent from saying the name.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

At the best moments there are currently hundreds of ad bots all around the game. Not that they are just RL traders, scam and steal players' accounts, it must be welcomed how clear it is that advertising really is against the rules. Ones who first break the rule to advertise their money selling sites probably know about the rule, but ones who enter these sites very often don't, so also it is there to protect ones who yet hadn't read the rules.

Also if telling someone an adress of the site they yet didn't know then how the one knows it's legit and doesn't do any harm?

If understanding the above, it should be clear that Jagex has very good points to ask players not to talk about any website adresses in game. Again, just need to study how to cope with it (if there is anything to cope with).

They need to clarify the rule a little bit because some people think that you are not allowed to say the name of any website, regardless of context. I do support the rule overall though.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015