To Those Who Think RS is 100% Safe.

axeraider194

Oooh that one >_<

I told my friend to go on Runescape to check something (he stopped playing a long time ago) and he got that pop-up and got really confused. Probably didn't leave a good impression of how far RS has come since he left.

icecube7.jpeg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah, I generally don't look at the ads, so this doesn't affect me too much, and since I use firefox, still no problems.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

If you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser (http://www.mozilla.com), you can install the "NoScript" add-on to prevent javascript running when you visit websites. This doesn't interfere with your use of RuneScape, and you can tell it to allow scripts from websites you trust (TipIt?!), but it does make you a bit safer from having random things done to your computer when you're browsing the web.

I got the exact same thing. When I got home some kids had been using my computer and the pop up was all over because they had panicked, I was pretty mad and had to do some virus scans to get rid of it.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

It's very common really. What it does is that when the advertisement iframe section changes ads, it removes focus from the RS applet. It's especially annoying when you're typing, this happens, and you press backspace.

There is a very small firefox mod that disables the use of backspace to go back a page, stopping that.

nh.jpg

I didn't get this, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten something just like it before. The fake security thing?

Best way to get rid of it is system restore. If you don't have a system restore date, I reccomend it greatly. When I got it, it wasn't dirty sites that came up, it was fake security things. The McAfee Site Advisor thing helped me get rid of it too, it directed me to a site where you can download something that is specifically designed to clean the virus from your computer.

This one seems a little less extreme, mine was crazy... Pain in the butt to get rid of, McAfee Security Center (other than site advisor) failed me miserably, it couldn't delete the file.

I freaked tbh. Good luck getting rid of it, I have pop-up blocker now \'

Leapfrog229.gif

I guess cause I never saw the need. I also felt that if I moved into the version of the game that was always changing that it would in some way invalidate the work that I had already put into my account.

Omg, after reading this and all the comments, im glad i havent played Runescape in 2 days ( Youtube for the past 2 days for me). But seriously, after reading it all, im scared of what will happen considering that i was one of the victims of the trojan that spreaded not long ago on tip.it forums.

Can anyone briefly explain a scenario? As in once i enter Runescape, a pop-up pops up and my computer is virused?

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

Can anyone briefly explain a scenario? As in once i enter Runescape, a pop-up pops up and my computer is virused?

No, as explained above, there is no way you can get any kind of viruses or trojans from RuneScape itself.

One of the top ads which rotate on F2P servers contained a popup which apparently tries to install a backdoor trojan on your computer (which will easily steal your passwords, banking, credit card or any other details typed on that computer).

http://www.toolbar.google.com

http://www.mozilla.com

Get a popup blocker from Google or get the safer browser from Mozilla which has in-built popup blocking. It will save you from a lot of harm. :)

I got this a few times in the past few days and I thought my computer was somehow infected. Never clicked it, I always used task manger to shut it down. its actually kinda comforting to know that there isn't anything on my computer and it was just a popup through the site.

Torlen.png

Omg, after reading this and all the comments, im glad i havent played Runescape in 2 days ( Youtube for the past 2 days for me). But seriously, after reading it all, im scared of what will happen considering that i was one of the victims of the trojan that spreaded not long ago on tip.it forums.

From the reports I've read you should be more scared of YouTube than RS and Tip.it

It happened to me to, FireFox is to smart for it though ;) Pretty much started a search itself with the McAfee scan and it got it right away. Thank God for McAfee and FireFox.

Pheonix Elite- obsessing 1 RS member at a time.

Narutosig75-1.jpg

Thanks Harrinator1 for the sig!

It happened to me, scared me... lucky my virus scanner caught it right away.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Lol Evileye I think i saw you ingame and I was supposed to sell you a oucple of tree seeds, may be wrong, but w/e. I'm p2p, was just going to ftp for a war :)
Probably not me, I've been at university since like 7am (also trying to stay away from RS :oops:).

I have a question.

Why put this notice where only members - who go to members worlds most of the time - are likely to see it, as the forums are members only for posting, and thus not to friendly for f2p, about a problem that effects nearly only f2p?

Into the wilderness, where all can see, no skiller bots to bleed my eyes, and danger at every turn!

Watch me, visit me, pk me.

I have a question.

Why put this notice where only members - who go to members worlds most of the time - are likely to see it, as the forums are members only for posting, and thus not to friendly for f2p, about a problem that effects nearly only f2p?

Because if they post it on the main page, all the 10-year-olds will run around like headless chickens :roll: