To Those Who Think RS is 100% Safe.

axeraider194

Taken from the tech support sticky on the rsof, 11/11/07:

runescape-54.jpg

Me, as well as numerous other players, got hit with the malicious popup upon visiting the Runescape home page, it got past my norton antivirus, and spybot search and destroy didnt pick it up, so I ran another one of my antivirus tools, and it picked it up and deleted it (it was a trojan).

Something along these lines happened to me about two years ago as well, along with some other people. I got a weird virus that showed up as a picture of a dog's face on the toolbar, and I kept getting hit with pop ups every hour or so, as well as the homepage being changed to some "adult" material..and it may have been from rs, because there were multiple topics about that in the tech forum back then as well.

But it was staggering how many people didn't believe it on the rsof when people were making topics about it, it was filled with posts such as "RS is 100% safe! You CANNOT get any viruses from rs!", as well as forum mods who didn't belive the situation and kept locking posts and topics because it simply "is not possible".

Well, as you can see, they have been proven wrong.

Never let your guard down :P

axeraider194.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get a virus from RuneScape in any possible way, but you can get a spyware program/backdoor trojan/virus from one of the ads that rotate on F2P worlds.

It's quite amazing someone would bother doing that, since advertising on RS banners costs several $1,000's per month.. But apparently someone is doing so.

Jagex rules urge you not to block their ads, but here is what you can legally do: Block popups. A banner ad has no reason to produce a popup if you don't click it.

You can get a free popup blocker at: http://toolbar.google.com/

Or alternatively, you can download the safer web browser with an inbuilt popup blocker at: http://www.firefox.com/

I got that popup the other day and it freaked me out. I ran both of my Spyware and Virus programs to try and clean my computer, but I don't think they found anything.

It was pretty obvious that it was a scam, but I wondered why my browser went to it because I was sure that Jagex controlled all of their advertisements. The window did the best it could to make it look like your real PC window, but mistakes (such as a pop-up bubble in the lower right corner resembling the Windows' toolbar) were easy to notice.

Be careful, and do not click on the picture of the popup boxes!

~Rcty

Rcty

something like this happened to me yesterday, heres my short story:

i was loading a f2p world, and a new page popuped up, im like wow did i press something? The page loaded and some anti virus program said my computer might be in danger...and literally started "scanning" my computer right away. The scan took 10 seconds (lol) and it said i had 8 'issues' and told me to install it; i press no, then something else came up saying my computer is at risk if i dont close it. I pressed x on it. still didnt close. My real anti virus program, from windows detected a tojan, and deleted it.

im like..wow..

thats my story. its not safe lol

If you ever get a popup such as the one above, don't touch it at all. Phishing scams these days look extremly real, and often pretend to mask themselves as anti-virus alerts to get the better of the user. Should you ever get one of these pop-ups, the safest way to close it is to go to your taskbar, right-click the pop-up window's button, and click Close.

Also, if you ever get an issue you like, make sure you browse with Firefox, with NoScript and McAfee SiteAdvisor.

tipitsig.png

Happened to me too. :?

But, I navigated away from the page before the scan finished, so I guess I'm safe. :P

I have firefox btw

It doesn't really 'scan' your PC, it's just pretending again. It's nearly impossible for a good virus-scanner to even scan the entire Windows folder in less than a minute. It's simply an animated .gif pretending to scan your PC. The results are completly fake.

tipitsig.png

This is also leaving out all of the 'adult' adverts I've gotten over the years. Advertisement on their site is one of those things that I always assume they should be watching extra carefully; they get so much revenue from ads and it annoys me to such an extent that I really wish they'd better monitor it.

Personally I can't stand the adverts on the RS site - another reason why I stay away from f2p. Is my computer the only one that freezes up every time they change?

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

This is also leaving out all of the 'adult' adverts I've gotten over the years. Advertisement on their site is one of those things that I always assume they should be watching extra carefully; they get so much revenue from ads and it annoys me to such an extent that I really wish they'd better monitor it.

Personally I can't stand the adverts on the RS site - another reason why I stay away from f2p. Is my computer the only one that freezes up every time they change?

It's very common really. What it does is that when the advertisement iframe section changes ads, it removes focus from the RS applet. It's especially annoying when you're typing, this happens, and you press backspace.

tipitsig.png

Well, that certainly isn't good. I'm sure they can fix it though. Just make sure your computer has its antivirus/antispyware and is updated. A scan wouldn't hurt either.

And ROFL at the Jagex mod's signature. I love that Jagex mod.

I hate the ones that look like security alerts, one almost convinced me once. Either I a) have been luck and not gotten that ad. B) Havent been on the main site enough to get it. c) Vistas finaly doing something, and with the way it operates id just have to clear all the temps since nothing can go further than that without human permission.

Still, this would be a good time to update anti-virus...

Obviously this isn't the first time Jagex has ever had an issue like this.

Once many years back one pop up ad made it onto the site.... Jagex where very angry and ended up sacking the ad company.

It's a very bad situation to find them selves in and I am sure that similar action will be taken. I quite often hear of people thinking they are getting pop-up's on runescape.com although these are nearly all viruses people have got elves where.

If you ever get a popup like this one anywhere take the following steps:

-as quickly as possible disconnect your computer from the internet so no downloads can come in.

-Close the popup via the X button dont click anywhere on the ad.

-Run a full virus scan and spy scan

-restart your computer, and run scans again.

- You can then reconnect to the Internet.

sig2webzx7.jpg

anyone with basic antivirus (not to mention just using firefox) wouldn't have to be worried by any banner that could be malacious.

I wouldn't be too worried about getting some sort of virus from the runescape website. It's comparable to chances of getting aids....possible, but very slim.

w4M8t.png

something like this happened to me yesterday, heres my short story:

i was loading a f2p world, and a new page popuped up, im like wow did i press something? The page loaded and some anti virus program said my computer might be in danger...and literally started "scanning" my computer right away. The scan took 10 seconds (lol) and it said i had 8 'issues' and told me to install it; i press no, then something else came up saying my computer is at risk if i dont close it. I pressed x on it. still didnt close. My real anti virus program, from windows detected a tojan, and deleted it.

im like..wow..

thats my story. its not safe lol

Exactly that thing has happend to me a couple of times too! Even though i have a really good internet security program (Panda 2008) and playing RS on Opera.

Problem with that "virus scanning advert" was that i couldn't even report it because it threw me onto their site in the window i was choosing a server to play on.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I'm not gonna spaz out, If I get it, maybe I get a new computer...

Kidding of course, I will look out for this, but my computer really does suck.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

zomg gonna quit rs now :shock: :ohnoes:

jk, jagex gonna kill it fast i hope :ohnoes:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

Yeah, I got this too :?. Got rid of it. I also got one a year or so ago, A bunch of naked girls on the pop-up :?

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

I think the same thing happened to me, because yesterday after I played for a while, the ad changed and all of a sudden Spybot search and destroy went crazy. I closed everything and ran Norton Antivirus scan and it came up with four trojans, but they must have been old news cuz it isolated them all without a problem.

notthemightiesttreeuj3.png

+-------------------------+

| . . . . Pure F2P . . . .|

| sig8.png |

| 73 74 73 75 70 86 65 80 |

| sig9.png |

| 85 80 80 80 80 80 80 65 |

| Combat: 092 Total: 1235 |

I've also gotten a particularly dangerous popup. I have Norton and it still got through. Its a popup claiming to be the result of a system scan, saying "warning: high risk software detected!" and lists 3 viruses you have. Two are backdoor viruses (no idea what they are) and one trojan. Anyone who knows about computers will recognize "hey, thats not my program! what a scammer!". but many people will think "oh no gotta scan the system". You click the button that says "remove" and it asks to run a file. Once you do, a virus is downloaded.

I don't think its related to what you're talking about, but Its certainly hazardous.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.