Attention Runescape: You do not own your account!

Triforceelf

This is to all those people who whine about Jagex taking "their" accounts and also to inform those who were a tad misguided.

To play the Game or use many features of this site, we require you to create an account. All valid account holders are hereby licensed to play the Game and to download and use our client software and connect to our servers for the sole purpose of playing the Game subject to compliance with these terms and conditions.

liÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷cense /ÃÆââ¬Â¹Ãâ¹Ã¢â¬Â laÃÆââ¬Â°ÃâêsÃÆââ¬Â°Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahy-suhns] Pronunciation Key - verb, -censed, -censÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ing.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãânoun

1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.

2. the legal right to use a patent owned by another.

It gets even better, and clearer for those who are confused about what licensing is.

You agree that your Game character, account and items are and will remain our property.

So basicly, any and all things you aquire in the realm of Runescape are the sole property of Jagex Ltd. and are yours to use until such time as Jagex sees fit to take them away. Now, before you panic, let me make something clear:

Jagex may not take away your account unless they have proof that you have violated the terms of the licensing agreement.

Let me repeat that: Unless you do something specifically forbidden in the terms and conditions the account is yours to use under the license.

Before a massive wave of "Jagex is mean for doing this" appears, let me be very clear: this is not at all unusual for software or MMO's at all. Usually when you buy a program you only buy a license to use a copy of it. And when you play an MMO usually you only rent a character. And let me be quite frank with you, it makes a lot of sense to have it set up that way. If it was not, Jagex would have a hard time banning your account for the simple reason that you actually owned the account. Since they are the one who owns it, they can ban you when you do break the rules. Otherwise someone with half a legal brain could sue the pants off Jagex when their account was banned because their virtual property was rendered ineffective by Jagex. So rest easy, unless you do something stupid you have nothing to worry about.

triforceelf.png

We all know that -.- We all agreed to these terms years (for me) ago

And they can do whatever they want with your account. Even if you've done nothing wrong they could decide they're removing yout character's head or whatever, since they own it

Also "reasonable proof" is very vague... if they want they can see anything as a reasonnable proof

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

Triforceelf, I don't think anyone actually thinks they "own" their accounts. Saying "my account" is a shorthand reference to the account that a person spends time building.

The problem isn't that Jagex owns the accounts, the problem is that sometimes they take away the accounts WITHOUT reasonable proof that a person has violated the terms of service.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It has been that way for forever in every mmo ive played. Ever read the small print on the back of WoW's manual?

hehe you can read a lot of the policies they have some of which are rather intresting.

Lastly, you would be shocked how many people in game run off their mouth non-stop and constnatly get reported for offensive language.

One day I was woodcutting and witnesed myself just how stupid some of these people can be. Conversation between 2 people, 1 of whom was a lady about 55 years old, a grandmother. Some kid who overheard the conversation immedately began insulting her, for no reason at all. He called her just about every foul word and this and that. Ofcourse, we all reported him.

Also, you ever have a trade with someone who refuses to tell you price and tells you to offer and then if you offer anything less than what they expect they go into a total insulting frenzy. One such person was muted right as he was telling people off.

My point here is that ofcoruse they need to have a policy like that, in order to be able to deal with all the ignorant kids to can not watch their mouths.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

Amazing news, the Earth is ~round and not flat.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?

is say's there that anything on runescape is property of jagex so that means that they can do whatever they want with it weather you broke the rules or not b/c it is their game, their rules & they can change anything about it. So they control us in a way. =D>

Amazing news, the Earth is ~round and not flat.

News flash, Caesar has been assassinated!!!

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif