Will there be any impact of duel arena update on rares?

Freesia

Before the update, staking stands as one of the most awesome income in the game (seems better than 91rc), with this income, stakers could afford rares so they constitute a major portion of the demand on rares, now that staking is down, will rares drop?

Unlikely.

Whilst stakers are probably some of the richest players in the game, they are not actually generating any income.. No new money enters the economy as a result of a stake being won or lost - it is merely a change in the disribution of wealth. Stakers are, therefore, simply efficient collectors of gp.

It is always difficult to predict the impact of any updates on the price of any items within the game, but if even half the number of stakers quit that have threatened to then the supply of rares will also be reduced as they are taken out of the game on retired accounts..

Your statement is true and false. When stakers accumilate enough wealth that wealth is then invested in a rare. More people looking to buy rares = more demand. More demand = higher prices.

With stakers not making insaine sums of $ out of nowhere they wont have the $ to spend on rares thus demand will go down and thus rares will go down in price.

Normal skillers who are holding rares to sell off to buy supplys will end up getting less $ in turn will have less to spend.

I can go on and on, but you get what I mean.

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as soon as people reolize this price drop them will start buying, the price always stabalized then goes up, its just a trend I've seen with past rare crashes. Everyone says it wont and then it does. I expect them to go back up, ALOT, with a bit of time, then drop back down to a stable price similar to what it was.

This statement is also true. Chances are rares will go up by 10-30% of the original price (before the staking change) around christmas.

No matter what happens there is still a very limited ever decreasing supply of party hats.

ego_scorpion.png

Stakers have always been quite a big players in the Rares Market - not too surprising rares have been going down so much on this.

Even though I have no clue of the current sentiment, with all the panic going on the drop may last a little longer yet, especially with people being all so negative about the GE.

In the end, all of this is futile to bring down the rares prices permanently. They will rebound to new heights sooner or later anyway. Although Jagex does continously add new negative price factors for rares, which is partly why they haven't been increasing all that much over the last year anymore and perhaps might not do much in the future as well. Plus, there are other factors, like stagnating population growth and lower money growth.

prices atm are down alot 30M+ on phats and 4m-5m on masks and santas in w2. :oops:

Excellent news! Thanks for the update. :)

It is quite sad that some people actually enjoy it if other players gameplay is disturbed, while they claim that such gameplay doesn't effect them at all. Yeah, sad. Especially when the same hypocrits call for people to take on a "nicer attitude" in the game. :roll:

Edit: Cross quoting the following from another thread makes it even 10 times worse what you said.

Remember your comments when something YOU like in the game is destroyed and others aren't sympathetic...

+1 and I dont even like you :)

ego_scorpion.png

Well I've had rares since before high level staking and they always went up in price then. So, historically speaking, rares will still go up even if there are no stakers. :D

Another true statement - there simply is too few party hats left for them not to keep going up:)

ego_scorpion.png

Its had a drastic effect, seeing as how my merchanting friend told me today he lost 40m due to the update. But you should hang on to your rares since im sure theres going to be a rebound.

From personal experience I can tell you when prices go down and a panic starts they keep going down until they crash and then eventualy stabilize.

Eventualy they will just go up to higher than they were worth before, stakers arent the only ones who can afford phats afterall, lets not forget merchants.

ego_scorpion.png

Who knows. If the price does go down, I don't care either way, I'm not interested in rares, except for a Santa Hat, because when I was first starting Runescape, I had gotten one for the holiday drop, but sold it a few months later for 100k (That was a lot of money back on F2P RSC, trust me.) so I could afford to buy full rune (Also expensive back then, well, let's not get into inflation, etc.). So yeah, as long as this doesn't turn into a "If Rare prices drop, than the economy will crash pmg!!!111" I'm good.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Its had a drastic effect, seeing as how my merchanting friend told me today he lost 40m due to the update. But you should hang on to your rares since im sure theres going to be a rebound.

From personal experience I can tell you when prices go down and a panic starts they keep going down until they crash and then eventualy stabilize.

Eventualy they will just go up to higher than they were worth before, stakers arent the only ones who can afford phats afterall, lets not forget merchants.

ye - so another crash next week with GE?!

The assumption that because rares have always gone up in the past that they will continue to do so in the future is based on faulty reasoning.

Don't buy into the "players set the prices" myth -- Jagex entirely controls what happens with the prices of every item in this game through its rules and policies. If they decide that they want to make structural changes that impact the wheeler/dealers of RuneScape, this could easily have a permanent dampening effect on items like Burger King hats.

And it appears that they are doing exactly that.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Seems like phat prices are more affected than any other rares out there then?

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Sure, because they are the most over-inflated of the useless items in the market. Thus, they are the ones most at risk of "correction".

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

as soon as people reolize this price drop them will start buying, the price always stabalized then goes up, its just a trend I've seen with past rare crashes. Everyone says it wont and then it does. I expect them to go back up, ALOT, with a bit of time, then drop back down to a stable price similar to what it was.

How are people suppose to get rares now? 91 rc? or if you had a rare before?

if you ask me, I'd say the 3k limit is absolutely ridiculous. so what, drop traders have one less option. Its not like reduced options are gonna stop them. last time I checked, we still have autoers dispite jagex's attempts to stop them with randoms and other methods.

However, I think this is made up for with the tournament. You can stake 3k and earn 64 times the profit instead of twice the profit from normal 1 on 1 stakes. But again, only one person can win, so i guess there are problems...

Plus, the rules are randomly generated? what if it has like range only and one of the players isnt a ranger? or allows drinks but someone has sara brews but the other doesn't? Or turns off some armor pieces so barrowers cant fight?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Sure, because they are the most over-inflated of the useless items in the market. Thus, they are the ones most at risk of "correction".

Party hats are not useless. THey are symbols of wealth, long term playing, etc. They are goals set and acheived by thousands of palyers. They are ways to "store" gps. They look awesome. There are many uses for rares. Everyone understands taht you do not like them and think they are useless, and that is fine. But understand also that there are thousands of players that DO like rares.

Let's say, for example, that I do not like third age armour. Barrows has close to the same stats, if not better, and cost much less. I think third age armour needs a "correction" in price. It is useless, as there is armour that is better and cost less. Third age armour needs to be fixed.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Party hats are not useless. THey are symbols of wealth, long term playing, etc.

Being a "symbol of wealth" doesn't change the fact that Burger King hats are useless -- i.e., have no use. And they don't.

They are not a sign of long term play, for reasons known to everyone.

They are goals set and acheived by thousands of palyers. They are ways to "store" gps.

Ah, but see, here's the rub.

This "storing GP" thing is at the heart of the matter. If you buy something useless that's worth millions because you want to use it as an "investment" then you should be prepared that sometimes investments lose value.

They look awesome.

They "look awesome"? :lol: They are silly little paper hats, like the ones you get from Burger King. They are only "adored" by people because of the cult following that has built up over their rarity.

If they weren't discontinued, people would laugh at anyone who wore one.

But understand also that there are thousands of players that DO like rares.

Yes, because of a combination of brainwashing, a need to show off, and a desire to "keep up with the Joneses".

It's all groupthink phenomena.

Let's say, for example, that I do not like third age armour. Barrows has close to the same stats, if not better, and cost much less. I think third age armour needs a "correction" in price. It is useless, as there is armour that is better and cost less. Third age armour needs to be fixed.

This happens with useful game items all the time. Seen the price of a d square lately? I fail to see your point.

signew2.png

I hate how everything these days seems to be lowering rares..

I bought my Santa in December '06, for 23.6M, and since that month, they've NEVER been that high again.

I'm the worst investor ever :|

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

i got green from slayer and not even close to 99

of course rc gets u a phat as well

boss monsters,....

Being a "symbol of wealth" doesn't change the fact that Burger King hats are useless -- i.e., have no use. And they don't.

They are goals set and acheived by thousands of palyers. They are ways to "store" gps.

This "storing GP" thing is at the heart of the matter. If you buy something useless that's worth millions because you want to use it as an "investment" then you should be prepared that sometimes investments lose value.

They look awesome.

They "look awesome"? :lol: They are silly little paper hats, like the ones you get from Burger King. They are only "adored" by people because of the cult following that has built up over their rarity.

Yes, because of a combination of brainwashing, a need to show off, and a desire to "keep up with the Joneses".

This happens with useful game items all the time. Seen the price of a d square lately? I fail to see your point.

Im honestly glad your true colors come out with every post. Ive always considered myself to be a good judge of character and now I can safely say I was 100% right about you from the very first reply by you that I read. What person takes joy in the fact that a lot of people who worked hard for their $ (read as doing what they consider fun in the game) end up losing a lot of it (not that they will, because being a self proclaimed economist still doesnt mean you know anything about runescape economy).

Operating under the phylosophy that anybody who doesnt skill shouldnt have $ is just so self centered and selfish. Its a good thing that rares will always go up due to the fact that no matter what happens there is still a very limited supply of them. Keep up these posts qeltar.

As for everybody else:

Rares and in particular party hats are a staple of wealth in this game. Countless people work really hard in order to be able to afford a partyhat or atleast a santa or a mask.

Also, rares are by far the best investment in this game. Before quitting I bought 24 of them for less than the price of purple today. Anybody who says otherwise is just seeking attentnion and displaying ignorance. Hopefuly nobody believes tehse false previews and jealousy-filled statements.

ego_scorpion.png

i got green from slayer and not even close to 99

of course rc gets u a phat as well

boss monsters,....

Hi klugksi<3 Got any stuff to sell me?

ego_scorpion.png

They can be used as a symbol of wealth, yet in the same sentence you claim they they have no use? Great logic.

Yes they are signs of long term play: at the current prices, you will have to have spent considerable time playing RS to come up with the cash, one way or the other. The fact they are tradable just means they don't show the wearer started in RSC per se. They still represent long term play simply because of the time it takes to obtain one.

Thought you said phats are without a use, yet you are here saying they can be used as an investment?

Anyways, no clue what your point would be here, since the topic creator wondered what the effect would be on rares: he's not whining about how (his) rares are dropping, nor is Artemis refering to people not being prepared to take that chance.

They look awesome.

It boils down to a matter of taste: you don't like how they look? Fine with me, however I bought my white phat in 2005 specifically because I liked how it looked with sara-armor.

Exactly why I bought my phat: to stand out of the crowd at the time. Every player was walking around in rune armor, simply because at the time there werent that many goodies yet to customise your character. Is that groupthink phenomena ? Yes, but different from the one you imply. I bought it so my character's looks would stand out from the crowd.

A need to show off ? Nope, if that would have been my thing, I would've saved up to buy a D-chain. Those at the time were more than double the price of a white p-hat. Showing off in an online game ? Don't make me laugh.

Desire to keep up with the Joneses? I'm not familiar with the expression, but another reason I bought it was because I wanted to reward myself with a nice looking item after obtaining 99 cooking. I had money collecting dust in my bank, so why not spend it on an item I think looks great ?

Attention seeking ? Heck no, with all the hype that surrounds p-hats I have hardly worn it the last year. I can *seriously* live without all the undesired attention I get because of it. If it were up to me, I would love Jagex to make them untradable, if that would make the groupies quiet. I don't sell it because of the sentimental value. I have some great memories related to it.

May I give you an advice you so generously give to others? Stop with the knee-jerk responses.

You showed in every response to Artemis that you yourself are victim of 'groupthinking', namely that a P-hat owner only has one so he can show off, is an attention seeker and that p-hats have no use.

DutchDreams.png

Im honestly glad your true colors come out with every post.

I'm always honest about my views and have never hidden my disdain for the greed-oriented aspects of the game, including the obsession some have over silly paper hats.

I do note that once again, you have resorted to personal attacks rather than addressing the topic of the thread.

What person takes joy in the fact that a lot of people who worked hard for their $ (read as doing what they consider fun in the game)

You didn't work hard for your $, by your own admission. You bought some junk, left for three years, and when you got back found that it was worth more.

There are millions of players who work a lot harder and never get a fraction of that amount of $. Seeing some correction in the game so that those who are already wealthy cannot watch their wealth endlessly spiral upwards to never-ending heights is a good thing.

Countless people work really hard in order to be able to afford a partyhat or atleast a santa or a mask.

Yes, well, that will continue only so long as Jagex wants it to continue. If they are really serious about cleaning up this game, the problem of rares MUST be addressed. Only time will tell if they truly are serious or not.

Also, rares are by far the best investment in this game.

In the Netherlands in 1636, tulips were the best investment in the world. We all know how that turned out (for those who don't).

Anybody who says otherwise is just seeking attentnion and displaying ignorance. Hopefuly nobody believes tehse false previews and jealousy-filled statements.

I'm sure people are capable of deciding for themselves what to believe, bearing in mind that you have a large financial interest in propping up the rares market. I have no financial interest either way.

signew2.png

They can be used as a symbol of wealth, yet in the same sentence you claim they they have no use? Great logic.

They have no use in terms of the game itself. They only have value because of artificial induced rarity.

Yes they are signs of long term play: at the current prices, you will have to have spent considerable time playing RS to come up with the cash, one way or the other.

Nonsense.

There are thousands of people who have rares due to getting gifts from friends, drop-trading, scamming, hacking and real-world trading.

The fact they are tradable just means they don't show the wearer started in RSC per se.

The fact that they are tradeable is exactly why they say nothing about the longevity of their owners. Even without cheating at all, I could start a new character today and own a Burger King hat within a month.

It boils down to a matter of taste: you don't like how they look? Fine with me, however I bought my white phat in 2005 specifically because I liked how it looked with sara-armor.

My point was simply that most players, consciously or unconsciously, think they look "cool" not because they really are, but simply because they are valuable.

Showing off in an online game ? Don't make me laugh.

That's the reason why most people wear Burger King hats around.

You showed in every response to Artemis that you yourself are victim of 'groupthinking', namely that a P-hat owner only has one so he can show off, is an attention seeker and that p-hats have no use.

Those are the reasons in most cases. Doesn't mean it applies to everyone, and in fact, I legitimately feel sorry for the real veterans. If Jagex had done the smart thing and made these items untradeable years ago when they launched RS2, they would be legitimate symbols of status and not a corrupted symbol that can represent status, greed or cheating.

signew2.png

In the Netherlands in 1636, tulips were the best investment in the world.

Tulips can be created, rares can't. Here's the reason why 3rd age for exampel falls in price while discontinued rise even tho 3rd age are more useful as items.

Yes, well, that will continue only so long as Jagex wants it to continue. If they are really serious about cleaning up this game, the problem of rares MUST be addressed. Only time will tell if they truly are serious or not.

Rares have never been the 1st thing on their priority list. They stopped the tradeable holiday drop, but that's it. For exampel during the duping episode, they could have gotten a real reason to remove rares or at least do a rollback which would have wiped many phats.

There are thousands of people who have rares due to getting gifts from friends, drop-trading, scamming, hacking and real-world trading.

There are thousands of players who have gotten high skills due getting gifts from friends, drop-trading from mains, scamming, hacking, bought materials/gp for materials for real money or autoing.

They have no use in terms of the game itself. They only have value because of artificial induced rarity.

Many skills don't have any use after certain level. At least my phats (which took me ages to get) can gain value unlike my farming cape which cost me more than what I paid for my purple for example which I bought in 2006.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Because something cannot be used to bash a monster, heal a player, protect a player, be used to turn raw material to product, etc. does not mean it has no use. There is physical use, then there is symbolic use, emotional use, etc.

They are symbols of long term play. I do not know ANYONE that owns a rare or party hat that started playing yesterday, 6 months ago, or a year ago. I would bet it is safe to say that most rare and party hat owners have played for at least 2 years, and a great deal of them for 3-4 at least. Not all, but the majority of owners.

Ok, I said nothing to contradict this, other then point out that because something is useless to you does not mean it is useless to everyone.

They look awesome.

I would say most Runescapers do think party hats look good. Oh look, the most recent poll from jagex confirms that most players like party hats! Don't believe me? Then just log in and check yourself.

Yes, most people probably like party hats and other discontinued items because they are rare. That gives them more purpose and value. In real life Diamond jewlery has no physical use. But, as with rares in game, it shows wealth, it shows that the item was worked for for a long period of time. Diamonds are rare, that gives them value, and I suppose a "cult following". Same with in game rares.

Brainwashing? I don't think so. A want to show off? Of course! You contradict yourself there as well. You say that rares of no use, yet you also say they serve as a way to show off. That seems like a use to me. And yes, they are ways to show off. That is one of the things that give them value.

Then read it again. I think you just don't want to see my point. Why are dragon squares so low? Because there are better items out there. Obby shields have slightly worse defense stats, yet it has a 5 strenght bonus and costs 400k gps less. Rune defenders are free and have defense satats and attack stats, with the 5 strength bonus. Then ther eare Dragon fire shields, the best shields in the game for defence and strength bonus, even though they are much more exspensive then the dragon sq.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

I love the intelligence of your posts Hohto. It makes them above most others worth reading. ::'

As for this whole "rare" item discussion, people such as myself buy them as personal rewards for achieving set goals. If they drop, so be it. When they rise, that is great. I understand that some people break the rules to gather rares, whereas others break the rules for easy skilling. There is not one method that rules are not broken, as there are always people on both sides looking for an easy way out. There is no sense in arguing about unbridled human nature.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png