Will there be any impact of duel arena update on rares?

Freesia

Im honestly glad your true colors come out with every post.

I'm always honest about my views and have never hidden my disdain for the greed-oriented aspects of the game, including the obsession some have over silly paper hats.

I do note that once again, you have resorted to personal attacks rather than addressing the topic of the thread.

Please enlighten me with your infinite wisdom - how is that a person attack? Sinse you consider yourself to be righteous the only color coming out of your posts is white eh?

What person takes joy in the fact that a lot of people who worked hard for their $ (read as doing what they consider fun in the game)

You didn't work hard for your $, by your own admission. You bought some junk, left for three years, and when you got back found that it was worth more.

There are millions of players who work a lot harder and never get a fraction of that amount of $. Seeing some correction in the game so that those who are already wealthy cannot watch their wealth endlessly spiral upwards to never-ending heights is a good thing.

So um lets see here.

#1 Who are you to judge? 2 - 3 years ago when I bought them the amount of $ it took was equally as impressive as the amount of $ they are worth now, but sinse I was absent for so long I was rather pleased at how much they have gone up. 3 years ago having 200-300 mil was a big deal, the market wasnt as flooded with $ as it is now. Basing your judgement on cluelesness makes one look clueless and ingnorant.

#2 Second part of your statement is once again pure jealousy, I cant justify it in any other way. I wasnt talking about me in this particular post. If you take away my hats ill still be insainely rich due to extreme amount of supplies for skills I have bought. And I didnt buy them from selling phats, I dont intend to sell or trade my phats ever - they are a staple of achievement for me. All the stuff I get I get through additional work.

But although I wasnt talking about me in my original post lets get back that for a second. So you are saying you are happy that every smart person who saw party hat as an investment is going to be screwed now? Is that your logic? Because 9/10 people who buy them buy them as a smart investment, same reason I bought so many before I quit - I knew they would go up, just dindt know by how much.

Countless people work really hard in order to be able to afford a partyhat or atleast a santa or a mask.

Yes, well, that will continue only so long as Jagex wants it to continue. If they are really serious about cleaning up this game, the problem of rares MUST be addressed. Only time will tell if they truly are serious or not.

Rares is not a problem, envy and jealousy are. Killing rares would be an extremely stupid thing to do on part of jagex because so many people will quit (due to losing a lot of $ or their fun aspect aka merchanting). So when they see another big hit to their montly income theyw ill quickly rethink their strategy. I personally dont mind if I lose my rares, I can quit and not care about it.

Also, rares are by far the best investment in this game.

In the Netherlands in 1636, tulips were the best investment in the world. We all know how that turned out (for those who don't).

You never stop to amaize me with just how off topic and poorly though out your response scan be. This being a good example. Its a good thing that we live in 1636 and are buying tulips...

No! we are talking about game and real people playing the game. Ha, ill give you a good example, if they kill rares think about how many 14 year olds will kill themselves over losing their only fun in life - hipocrite!

Anybody who says otherwise is just seeking attentnion and displaying ignorance. Hopefuly nobody believes tehse false previews and jealousy-filled statements.

I'm sure people are capable of deciding for themselves what to believe, bearing in mind that you have a large financial interest in propping up the rares market. I have no financial interest either way.

Thats the thing, I will NEVER under any circumstances sell my party hats, so you still think you have a clue about me? think again...

Game Name: Ego Scorpion

Party Hat Sets: 4

Bank Pictures: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=712645&start=0

ego_scorpion.png

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact they are tradable just means they don't show the wearer started in RSC per se.

The fact that they are tradeable is exactly why they say nothing about the longevity of their owners. Even without cheating at all, I could start a new character today and own a Burger King hat within a month.

Qeltar, I strongly insist that you answer this for me. You claim to be a smart economist yet you dont have the foresite to see that party hat is a financial investment. You condemn them and all the party hat owners and still you dont see how it can be a big investment. You are contradicting yourself when you talk about your economic knowledge and achievements yet condemn the single best investment in game.

ego_scorpion.png

Prices have absolutely plummeted for most rares, they're sort of all over the place. But, once the people who only stayed for staking leave and freeze their rares along with them i think the price will stabalize and after a while go right back up again. Theres always money to be made and the best way to show you've got money is with rares. They'll never drop permanently in price, they'll just fluctuate, sometimes just more dramatically.

whatever people sell they'll soon want it back again

also rares are on the up anyways since they arent being made anymore

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

They can be used as a symbol of wealth, yet in the same sentence you claim they they have no use? Great logic.

They have no use in terms of the game itself. They only have value because of artificial induced rarity.

It's a MMO game: there are game-social/community aspects as well. Whether you personally like the 'showing off' / 'attention seeking' aspect or not. They *are* terms of the game as much as skills. No other item has a greater use to some people in that aspect of the game than those p-hats.

Yes they are signs of long term play: at the current prices, you will have to have spent considerable time playing RS to come up with the cash, one way or the other.

Nonsense.

There are thousands of people who have rares due to getting gifts from friends, drop-trading, scamming, hacking and real-world trading.

*Complete* nonsense: the quotes were specifically aimed at p-hats. You now widen it to 'rares' in general.

To expand on what you said: you are claiming the new kid on the block, fresh from tutorial island knows how to scam, hack, drop trade (by the way, the main account would still have had to have the p-hat in the first place), knows where to buy his geepees and has friends who would trust him with such an item.

The person doing this, will still have to spend *considerable* amount of time to learn the game first. People involved in this kind of activities (except arguably buying gp online). The game character may be fresh, that doesn't include the person behind the keyboard is as fresh.

I think you will associate long-levity with the character age, while I associate it with the time a person played (no matter how many characters he played).

The fact they are tradable just means they don't show the wearer started in RSC per se.

The fact that they are tradeable is exactly why they say nothing about the longevity of their owners.

I don't know what your point is here. I said the only thing they don't represent is that the wearer started when they were dropped, per se (because they are tradable). I will still uphold that owning one represents a playing time of more than the average.

Even without cheating at all, I could start a new character today and own a Burger King hat within a month.

And that was the point I was making. You can start a new character *NOW* with all your knowledge of the game you accumulated in years, to obtain one quickly (I doubt it would take a month, but if you say so ;)). The character may be fresh, that doesn't automatically mean the person behind it hasn't been involved with the game for considerable amount of time.

It boils down to a matter of taste: you don't like how they look? Fine with me, however I bought my white phat in 2005 specifically because I liked how it looked with sara-armor.

My point was simply that most players, consciously or unconsciously, think they look "cool" not because they really are, but simply because they are valuable.

You were groupthinking yes. I tell you my reason for buying to show there can be different motives involved.

Showing off in an online game ? Don't make me laugh.

That's the reason why most people wear Burger King hats around.

You are groupthinking again, yes. Other people that don't own the BK hats say others are showing off. You pick up on it and that's why you assume it's the reason.

You showed in every response to Artemis that you yourself are victim of 'groupthinking', namely that a P-hat owner only has one so he can show off, is an attention seeker and that p-hats have no use.

Those are the reasons in most cases. Doesn't mean it applies to everyone, and in fact, I legitimately feel sorry for the real veterans. If Jagex had done the smart thing and made these items untradeable years ago when they launched RS2, they would be legitimate symbols of status and not a corrupted symbol that can represent status, greed or cheating.

First part is an assumption induced by groupthinking of those who don't own rares. Agreed on the last part, then again, I wouldn't have had mine ;)

DutchDreams.png

Tulips can be created, rares can't.

That's where you're mistaken. Jagex can create rares with the snap of a finger.

Their current rarity is artificially induced.

Rares have never been the 1st thing on their priority list.

That can change. And if they are serious about getting the money corruption out of the game, it must.

There are thousands of players who have gotten high skills due getting gifts from friends, drop-trading from mains, scamming, hacking, bought materials/gp for materials for real money or autoing.

There are many MORE who have resorted to unsavory actions in the pursuit of rares, because rares cost more than getting high skills, with very few exceptions.

Trying to "get a phat" is a leading cause of the scamming, cheating and RWT problems of Runescape.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Party hats are a great investment queltar. Everyone has to recognise that. The supply never rises but the demand generally does. So it's the safest bet you can place in RuneScape.

But that is why it is my firm belief that rares should not be allowed to continue in the same way, because they are SURE to go up in the mid to long term. No brain needed. No knowledge needed. No thought needed. just keep an item in your bank and watch it raise to huge prices and tear the economy apart.

And this is probably only a temporary crash .. theyll go back up soon

lmao1nu3.jpg

I finally understand qeltars way of thinking. He operates under the assumption that everyone should be equal and equally wealthy (a sort of communist look on things).

Unfortunately, that can not owrk for 1 simple reason, same reason that communism failed. You have your smart people and not so smart, hard working and lazy. Everyone is different and as such can not be equal and trying to force equality will only make the matters worst.

ego_scorpion.png

Tulips can be created, rares can't.

Their current rarity is artificially induced.

I can't make sense out of that. Sure Jagex can create more rares, but they are not and will not. I just don't really understand what your statement meant.

Rares have never been the 1st thing on their priority list.

That can change. And if they are serious about getting the money corruption out of the game, it must.

I cannot see how eliminating rares from the game would be helpful. Rares are a fun item, used to show wealth and to decorate your character. They are items people set as goals to one day buy. I doubt most rare owners got their rare by real world item trading. And with the new duel arena update, it seems Jagex is moving to stop the few that do it illegally. They are not trying to get rid of them all together, as that would be horrible for the game and its paying members.

There are thousands of players who have gotten high skills due getting gifts from friends, drop-trading from mains, scamming, hacking, bought materials/gp for materials for real money or autoing.

There are many MORE who have resorted to unsavory actions in the pursuit of rares, because rares cost more than getting high skills, with very few exceptions.

Trying to "get a phat" is a leading cause of the scamming, cheating and RWT problems of Runescape.

I doubt that as well. The leading cause of scamming, cheating, and RWT is do gain wealth in general. Party hats are just a way to then show that wealth. Eliminate party ahts and there will still be the same amount of players scamming, cheating, and RWT to gain cash. Most of these "unsavory" players are weeded out. Learning to deal with scams, cheats, etc. is all part of the game, for good or bad. Without some danger and adventure, Runescape would be another form of solitare.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

With this logic you could aswell say that skills are worth nothing as Jagex can also boost them from 0xp to 200m in no time. Also it's a fact that players can't create any more discontinues (well, you can turn your cracker into a phat if you feel like losing at least few hundred million gp) but more and more useful items (such as 3rd age) fload to the game every day.

This same applies for real world too. Gucci could produce more purses if they wanted, Rolls Royce could do the same with cars and Hugo Boss with suits. Yet, those items are kept uncommon by pricing. They aren't expensive because they'd be more useful than purses made by Chinese child workers and sold for 2$/purse, Rolls Royces were that much better than Fords or Hugo Boss suits were made out of diamonds and gold. They are bought for representing your economical and social status, not because they gave the best usefulness:price ratio. Same goes for rs rares. I didn't get my phats or farming capes because they were great, I took them (and am wearing even atm) for the fact that they are status symbols showing something new for the others and my rares are gaining value in a long run. Might sound selfish, but heck, RS wasn't sosialistic system when I last time checked.

Btw have you ever thought of this. Jagex has created 0 phats/crackers after christmas 2001 and same goes with ALL other discontinueds. Players have managed to create them once and paid a huge price for it. Same time these precious tulpins were produced almost daily, there's your difference for it.

Please tell me what's this money corruption you're talking about and what does it have to do with rares. I'm relatively sure from what I've seen that most of the bought gp isn't used for rares.

Or getting a phat can be a journey that lasts for months and keeps you playing. A party hat isn't just some useless item that costs a lot, it's also a better sign of your status than 1b cash at your bank and it can be an investment for future like my purple phat for example was.

Also what I've seen during my pmod career, it's cheap items what are the main targets of scammers. Do you seriously think that people create lvl 3 accounts and scam lvl 34s in Varrock for rune armour if a party hat was their goal? Do you really think that people buy 1-10 mils from eBay so they can sometime in future buy a phat? What I've seen, people buy gp in order to get some smaller cost (below 100m) things faster, such as pkin gear, skilling materials or low cost items.

From your postings I get a picture of you blaming rares for everything that's wrong in RS. If the situation was this easy, rares would already have been removed ages ago.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

its fun reading this.

3 smart ones going crazy at this :XD:

im with qeltar :) he has a good point and agurments good =D> unlike the others -.-

and dont say i dont understand econimics :-$

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

i think this is all a moot point. since next week they will make discontinued items untradeable. the writing is on the wall. i mean if jagex will go to the lengths they did with limits on staking, then making dc items untradeable is not far behind. i think many are starting to realise this and selling thier dc items while they can.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

i think this is all a moot point. since next week they will make discontinued items untradeable. the writing is on the wall. i mean if jagex will go to the lengths they did with limits on staking, then making dc items untradeable is not far behind. i think many are starting to realise this and selling thier dc items while they can.

Unless you have solid proof to back up this statement id appreciate youd stop posting this like that not to disinform people.

ego_scorpion.png

I very much doubt that Jagex would do this.

If Jagex wants to remove rares from the game, I believe that they will do the following:

1) Release the grand exchange

2) Wait some period of time for rare prices to stabilize

3) Replace all rares with their maket value in gp (as determined by average GE selling prices)

In step 3, I could also see Jagex giving players the option to accept the market value or keep their rares knowing that they would be untradable in the future.

Of course this is all just a guess / theory and I could be wrong. Who would have guessed that Jagex would do something as ludicrous as putting a 3k/15 min limit on staking?

viral_wulf.png

They have already crashed dude, at least, that is what I've heard around these forums.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Unless rares are physicall made untrdable and stated so by jagex they wont be taken out.

If they are taken out unless players are compensated almost every single person who owns rares will quit. Sure, considering the overall amoiunt of players that play it will be insignificant, but then again, considering that with phats only top richest players (mots of whome are also skillers) own them that will be quite a bit of good people quitting and possibly their friends quitting.

Do you really think jagex is THAT stupid to kill their own game?

People are posting propaganda because they tehmselves cant afford one so they are making all sorts of islly lies up. Just wait till this whole thing blows over phats will be back up higher htan they were by xmas!

ego_scorpion.png

as soon as people reolize this price drop them will start buying, the price always stabalized then goes up, its just a trend I've seen with past rare crashes. Everyone says it wont and then it does. I expect them to go back up, ALOT, with a bit of time, then drop back down to a stable price similar to what it was.

How are people suppose to get rares now? 91 rc? or if you had a rare before?

Profit from 91-99 rc doing abyss double nats can probably get you around a green phat (before the update). Santa and Mask prices doesn't seem to have been affected in any way.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

My guess is that Jagex will continue for a while to deny the important role that rares play in the corruption problems with this game. After all, they've stuck their heads in the sand this long, so what's another year or two?

If they DO want to show that they are serious about cleaning up the game, though, they'll do something about the problem. I don't believe that they should do anything arbitrary to rip off people who already own them, but the items need to be taken out of the markets one way or the other.

If a few people quit as a result of this, it's not a big deal. Far better to fix one of the biggest corrupting influences in the game than let the situation continue indefinitely.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

qeltar, think for a second what you are saying and then imagine oyu are the person who is forced to quit over how things change, for arguments sake. Would you still be singing the same tune?

One thign I dont like is people not really caring until it hits too close to home. I honestly feel bad for people that are getting screwed so bad and might get screwd over future updates :(

ego_scorpion.png

qeltar, think for a second what you are saying and then imagine oyu are the person who is forced to quit over how things change, for arguments sake.

Who would be forced to quit? and why would they be forced to quit? If anyone quits over this, they make a choice to leave, it's not a forced action.

Ananke32.png

qeltar, think for a second what you are saying and then imagine oyu are the person who is forced to quit over how things change, for arguments sake.

Who would be forced to quit? and why would they be forced to quit? If anyone quits over this, they make a choice to leave, it's not a forced action.

We are talking about rares being taken out - people will quit over that if they suddenly lose everything

ego_scorpion.png