Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

[hide=]

Yes it's true, you don't have to be a part of some religion to do good, i said that; but it is also true that the majority of people who have some religiously moral background do good. But to be fair there are some of everything that do something completely opposite of whatever they are part of.

Also, how can you be sure of this? Do you know the majority of religious people? Can you say for sure that they are moral and do good?

Anyways, back on topic: God is not real. :P

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry, but we are an awfully sorry bunch if the only reason that we do good is because we are sucking up to an invisible deighty in the sky. That is not very moral at all. Truenoob was absolutely correct, we do not get our sense of morals from the bible.

I have a feeling some of you don't understand what morality actually is. To deny that every person has selfish thoughts and tendencies would be ridiculous. Whether you restrain yourself in order to satisfy society or god, it's still a form of morality.

I am suprised no one pointed out how many nazi-lovers and paedophiles there are in the Catholic Church.

Every stand-up comedian since 1988 seems to have beaten you to the punch.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I am suprised no one pointed out how many nazi-lovers and paedophiles there are in the Catholic Church.

Yet such people do not reflect the true Catholic doctorine. For instance pedophilia is considered a sin. Would you still consider them Catholics?

Truenoob was absolutely correct, we do not get our sense of morals from the bible.

So where do we get our morals from?

Also knowing about the saving grace of God and not telling anyone, is in my opinion more selfish. Either people listen or don't.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

From other sheep...I mean people. What society deems acceptable or unacceptable is ultimatly dictated by herd behaviour. When you do something, illegal or immoral, who corrects you ?

Society, these so-called ethics are nothing but a loose and rickety lattice of political correctness and bureaucracy.

From other sheep...I mean people. What society deems acceptable or unacceptable is ultimatly dictated by herd behaviour. When you do something, illegal or immoral, who corrects you ?

Society, these so-called ethics are nothing but a loose and rickety lattice of political correctness and bureaucracy.

I fully agree with that and that's seemingly the best analogy I've seen reflecting morals. While we certainly can, and do, get morals from religious articles, it's much stronger as a whole from society and the people within that society.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Yet such people do not reflect the true Catholic doctorine. For instance pedophilia is considered a sin. Would you still consider them Catholics?

Truenoob was absolutely correct, we do not get our sense of morals from the bible.

Also knowing about the saving grace of God and not telling anyone, is in my opinion more selfish. Either people listen or don't.

If they call themselves catholic they need to be counted as such, its a given if we only take good moral people from religion as the sample of religion they will have a higher average morality. Thing is I can just take only moral non believers and look just as good.

We get our morality from development of a sense of right and wrong over time, the bible and other religious texts are culminations of moral codes at the time they were written, with some modern or progressive philosophy added.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

If they call themselves catholic they need to be counted as such, its a given if we only take good moral people from religion as the sample of religion they will have a higher average morality. Thing is I can just take only moral non believers and look just as good.

How can you define such a subjective and abstract concept in terms of pure numbers. If anything, the religion that allows these deeds to go unpunished for long periods of time, should all be counted as "evil" and as such, according to your logic - the average "morality" would be close to 0.

We get our morality from development of a sense of right and wrong over time.

From Where? Who? How ? Who do we learn from ? Our peers, who are we influenced by - our parents, whether you like it or not, your views about morality are going to be skewed any way you look at it. From a very young age, we are indoctrinated into a scheme or "wrongs" and "rights". Cut and defined - thus punishable acts, have no more bearing or weightage than a jail term.

The bible and other religious texts are culminations of moral codes at the time they were written, with some modern or progressive philosophy added.

As explained in the earlier part of my quote, your "innate" values are instilled to you, not by some divine higher force but the elements and the environment surrounding you. Given, that some basic codes of law, still apply today, thou shalt not..., these have been preserved only due to the sublimation of religion into many early judicial systems, nothing more nothing less.

We don't get morals from the bible. Unless you treat women badly etc, you have your own set of morals based on today's society.

Where does it say in the bible to treat women badly? JW

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

How can you define such a subjective and abstract concept in terms of pure numbers. If anything, the religion that allows these deeds to go unpunished for long periods of time, should all be counted as "evil" and as such, according to your logic - the average "morality" would be close to 0.

We get our morality from development of a sense of right and wrong over time.

From Where? Who? How ? Who do we learn from ? Our peers, who are we influenced by - our parents, whether you like it or not, your views about morality are going to be skewed any way you look at it. From a very young age, we are indoctrinated into a scheme or "wrongs" and "rights". Cut and defined - thus punishable acts, have no more bearing or weightage than a jail term.

The bible and other religious texts are culminations of moral codes at the time they were written, with some modern or progressive philosophy added.

As explained in the earlier part of my quote, your "innate" values are instilled to you, not by some divine higher force but the elements and the environment surrounding you. Given, that some basic codes of law, still apply today, thou shalt not..., these have been preserved only due to the sublimation of religion into many early judicial systems, nothing more nothing less.

a. I cant define it in pure numbers, but someone claimed that religous people were more moral, Im debunking that claim

b. I agree, the point is morality develops through general cultural progression, not the hand of god.

c. any reason you posted this to agree with me? I said the bible was basically a recording of moral codes and you basically agree.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

We don't get morals from the bible. Unless you treat women badly etc, you have your own set of morals based on today's society.

The whole original sin thing has lead to contempt for women in Christianity for thousands of years, and it still continues pretty much to this day.

Hey.

The whole original sin thing has lead to contempt for women in Christianity for thousands of years, and it still continues pretty much to this day.

This is the first I've heard about this women-hating thing. And besides, probably everyone in this world would have done the same thing she did. She was made perfect, in a perfect world, and still sinned.

wartortlelove.jpg

This is the first I've heard about this women-hating thing. And besides, probably everyone in this world would have done the same thing she did. She was made perfect, in a perfect world, and still sinned.

What?

If God created everything, and her "sin" was the culmination of her experiences and her mental genetic framework, then God was in turn responsible for the sin.

Hey.

What?

If God created everything, and her "sin" was the culmination of her experiences and her mental genetic framework, then God was in turn responsible for the sin.

Choice! Seriously, how do you not get that??

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

What?

But god made her. Everything about her. So, naturally, any choice she made could be lead back to how she was created.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

It's not that I think all Christians are perfect, it was just that the comment was somewhat lacking. To an extent it was like saying all white people are racist or since so and so did this it must reflect that particular society. I'll agree that neither believers and non-believers are morally superior to each other. After all we are all human.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

But god made her. Everything about her. So, naturally, any choice she made could be lead back to how she was created.

One, that's a rational argument for something not based entirely on reason.

Two, it's not even a very good logical argument. There's no "naturally" here. I have a child. I raise that child. Said child disobeys me and does something wrong. Is it my fault?

The Bible is sexist primarily because it was written by males primarily for males. On rare occasions original sin is blamed on the weakness of Eve(though in my opinion any argument to that effect is BS), but in most cases you here of Adam as the origin of original sin. We are all "children of Adam" and obtain original sin that way.

And the Bible may not equalize men and women, but to my knowledge it says nothing about treating women poorly. They are, for the most part, ignored.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a while, I'm sure nothing I just said will be taken seriously anyway.

Flyingjj.png

Two, it's not even a very good logical argument. There's no "naturally" here. I have a child. I raise that child. Said child disobeys me and does something wrong. Is it my fault?

No, but, if you design an entirely knew species from scratch, then what it does is pretty much your fault.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

One, that's a rational argument for something not based entirely on reason.

The Bible is sexist primarily because it was written by males primarily for males. On rare occasions original sin is blamed on the weakness of Eve(though in my opinion any argument to that effect is BS), but in most cases you here of Adam as the origin of original sin. We are all "children of Adam" and obtain original sin that way.

And the Bible may not equalize men and women, but to my knowledge it says nothing about treating women poorly. They are, for the most part, ignored.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it for a while, I'm sure nothing I just said will be taken seriously anyway.

It is not your fault because their experiences and their environment coupled with their genetic makeup would have led to that disobeying..

But God created everything apparently, so everything made of her experiences AND her genetic makeup is made by God.

Hey.

What?

She "chose" to do what she did because of her genetic makeup coupled with her experiences that have influenced her person. If God created everything, that includes everything responsible for her experiences, and obviously genetic makeup too, it follows that God is responsible for sin, even if we have "free will" every single choice we make stems from those two things which God is responsible for..

Hey.

God gave us the choice to do whatever we like. That's all there is too it. Just because you make something doesn't mean that the creator has full control of it. If I make a kitchen knife, and someone uses it to kill people, is it my fault? No, It is the murderers' fault, I never intended for someone to kill people with it. God could control us if he wanted, but he wants us to decide for ourselves what we should or shouldn't do.

I love this conversation-

[hide=]The professor of a university challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?" A student answered bravely, "Yes, he did".

The professor then asked, "If God created everything, then he created evil. Since evil exists (as noticed by our own actions), so God is evil. The student couldn't respond to that statement causing the professor to conclude that he had "proved" that "belief in God" was a fairy tale, and therefore worthless.

Another student raised his hand and asked the professor, "May I pose a question? " "Of course" answered the professor.

The young student stood up and asked : "Professor does Cold exists?"

The professor answered, "What kind of question is that? ...Of course the cold exists... haven't you ever been cold?"

The young student answered, "In fact sir, Cold does not exist. According to the laws of Physics, what we consider cold, in fact is the absence of heat. Anything is able to be studied as long as it transmits energy (heat). Absolute Zero is the total absence of heat, but cold does not exist. What we have done is create a term to describe how we feel if we don't have body heat or we are not hot."

"And, does Dark exist?", he continued. The professor answered "Of course". This time the student responded, "Again you're wrong, Sir. Darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in fact simply the absence of light. Light can be studied, darkness can not. Darkness cannot be broken down. A simple ray of light tears the darkness and illuminates the surface where the light beam finishes. Dark is a term that we humans have created to describe what happens when there's lack of light."

Finally, the student asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?" The professor replied, "Of course it exists, as I mentioned at the beginning, we see violations, crimes and violence anywhere in the world, and those things are evil."

The student responded, Sir, Evil does not exist. Just as in the previous cases, Evil is a term which man has created to describe the result of the absence of God's presence in the hearts of man.

After this, the professor bowed down his head, and didn't answer back.

The young man's name was ALBERT EINSTEIN.[/hide]

28jkzuv.jpg2a9b8sy.jpgwqx853.jpg

gridblack.png

God gave us the choice to do whatever we like. That's all there is too it. Just because you make something doesn't mean that the creator has full control of it. If I make a kitchen knife, and someone uses it to kill people, is it my fault? No, It is the murderers' fault, I never intended for someone to kill people with it. God could control us if he wanted, but he wants us to decide for ourselves what we should or shouldn't do.

I love this conversation-

[hide=]The professor of a university challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?" A student answered bravely, "Yes, he did".

The professor then asked, "If God created everything, then he created evil. Since evil exists (as noticed by our own actions), so God is evil. The student couldn't respond to that statement causing the professor to conclude that he had "proved" that "belief in God" was a fairy tale, and therefore worthless.

Another student raised his hand and asked the professor, "May I pose a question? " "Of course" answered the professor.

The young student stood up and asked : "Professor does Cold exists?"

The professor answered, "What kind of question is that? ...Of course the cold exists... haven't you ever been cold?"

The young student answered, "In fact sir, Cold does not exist. According to the laws of Physics, what we consider cold, in fact is the absence of heat. Anything is able to be studied as long as it transmits energy (heat). Absolute Zero is the total absence of heat, but cold does not exist. What we have done is create a term to describe how we feel if we don't have body heat or we are not hot."

"And, does Dark exist?", he continued. The professor answered "Of course". This time the student responded, "Again you're wrong, Sir. Darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in fact simply the absence of light. Light can be studied, darkness can not. Darkness cannot be broken down. A simple ray of light tears the darkness and illuminates the surface where the light beam finishes. Dark is a term that we humans have created to describe what happens when there's lack of light."

Finally, the student asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?" The professor replied, "Of course it exists, as I mentioned at the beginning, we see violations, crimes and violence anywhere in the world, and those things are evil."

The student responded, Sir, Evil does not exist. Just as in the previous cases, Evil is a term which man has created to describe the result of the absence of God's presence in the hearts of man.

After this, the professor bowed down his head, and didn't answer back.

The young man's name was ALBERT EINSTEIN.[/hide]

Not an actual conversation,and just so stereotypical it is lame.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp