Tip.it Times Presents: Letters to the editor #11

MPM

Jackg243

PKing is the central hub of the RuneScape economy.

yea, sure. this whole game was made just for players that want to pk.

1. pk-ing may be a part of the rs economy, but i do not consider pk-ing a big part of the rs economy. to get those combat levels, even the pures have to consume food and (why not?) pots. my opinion is that most of the food and the pots is used to train the combat levels and not in the real pk-ing, and that there are plenty of players that want high combat lvl but do not pk.

2. i am a skiller, and i still need food, pots, weapons and armour for combat. i make all food and pots that i need and i sell the rest to people that want to power-train combat and don't want to be bothered with gathering them (my opinion is that there are plenty of players that want high combat lvl but do not pk, just like me).

3. pk-ing is not dead. read the highscores for the minigames. all of them feature players that pk, and they have to be better than others to get in the highscores, so i guess there are at least 2 times more players trying to get in the minigames highscores.

since your whole letter is based on a wrong initial statement, it makes me see it as something very...

blue_1979.png

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, people are getting too fixed down on the Balanced Trading ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâñ 3000 coins thing. This will not always be the case:

As many people have suggested, we're planning to raise the 3,000gp staking/trading limit for certain players. This will be proportional to the number of Quest Points you have, with the top-end being ten-times what it is now

As such, while there will still be very strict limits, there will be a lot more freedom than you might at first think, depending on how much you quest. 30000 coins, while not letting you stake really good stuff, certainly provides more options for staked duels. And allows 10 times the freedom in normal trading.

This is, of course, biased against people who don't like quests, but that does seem to be the only way in which you can prove that someone is a dedicated player and not a new account. (Don't say "what about the length of time the account's been around", someone could have made an account and ignored it for a few years. Besides, getting your quest points up doesn't take that long if you have the levels)

The Devil's Hour...

Minuit+666.png

I agree with the above

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

I really don't care about the 3k limit, although it's a bit anoying and the grand exchange is really great. The only thing that did anoy me very much was that the wildy got ruined.

The first letter was not interesting, it did not make clear points and who the ... cares about the economy anyway. The only reason why many people were merchanting, skilling or doing minigames which are money earners was to pk. The third letter was a little better, but it's like he forgives jagex for what they've done, they could have thought way better solutions to replace pking.

The inside of a PK's Head

The letter entitled "ABSOLUTELY INTOLERABLE" shows a good view of what a PKer thinks: "herblorists do their pots for PKs", "people fight dragons to sell weps for PKs", "Fletchers do it for the sake of Pks mage lvl"...

Conclusion: WE ARE PK SLAVES!!!

We do not play for fun, we do not level simply to be able to see and fight everything in the game, we even play Trouble Brewing for the sake of PKs!

THE WORLD SPINS AROUND PKs!!! PKing IS THE ONE AND ONLY THING TO DO IN ALL RUNESCAPE!

Oh, and lets not forget that if you dont agree with them is because you are "a skiller n00b".

That whole thing of the changes being the end of RS is ridiculous, we all know that new players will come to know it and like it just the way it is.

Pks are now being challenged to find out how big RS worlds are.

Onen i estel Edain, ÃÆÃâÃâ¦Ã¡-chebin estel anim...

Good thing I dumped all my stuff on the 10th, eh? :)

I managed to make a decent profit by buying it all back when prices bottomed out, then selling some stuff again when there was a [bleep]e in whips and dboots.. So now I've got the fury I've always wanted. It's a shame about pking, but eh, what can you do.. :|

Great letters, right on the dot.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Most folks who complain about PKers were either jumped/killed while in the Wildy, or were Deathly afraid of the Wilderness and NEVER ventured in.

So...whether you agree with the concept or not, PKing was a HUGE portion of the "Purchasing" community. People "Skilled" to sell items to PKers for higher than average prices, because PKers wanted it then and there (to get back to their "Fun") and had the cash for a quick purchase (loot from the deceased!).

I was never a PKer, but I understood the dangers of the Wilderness and also understood the allure for other types of players. So I watched what most PKers needed in large quantities and worked my skills in those areas to provide...it gave a good incentive to grind through levels of a skill. Without an incentive, "Skilling" is boring...unless you are one of those striving to be a "99er". "Grinding" is NOT fun!

Stakers ALSO played a portion of the "Purchasing" community...albeit not as large as the PKers. There is no incentive now for Staking except to make a name for yourself....same with Bounty Hunter (The PKing replacement). There is no "Skill" involved in it at all...and no monetary incentive since a vast majority of Bounty Hunters 1 item...a mini-game designed around EGO building, not teamwork.

My gripe about the update is not around whether it was necesary or not, but in the WAY it was done. I have read here replies that JAGEX is filled with intelligent folks; they COULD have been intelligent enough to design the QP equation (or some other solution) into the update BEFORE initial release. Developers must understand the impacts to updates PRIOR to launch, and find creative ways to counter the negative impacts at the same time. Otherwise, the updates LOOK rushed, and not well thought out. Sorry...but pushing major updates to previous updates doesn't make JAGEX look good.

There are other games and game systems out there. If the Thrill of the game and the Fun are removed, gamers will look elsewhere for fun. That has already started to occur, and expect a fresh wave of "Quitters" after January 2nd. Then...it will take some time to see what the TRUE results of the updates are.

Will Runescape Fade? or Flourish?

Only time will tell. For me, I hope the latter. (ie Flourish)

I've spent a lot of time developing my charcter, and would hate to think I wasted my time. :-k

Uhh I believe the "Did you know...." is incorrect. Sometimes people put worthless items in the drop chest that have high values in the Grand Exchange simulating a Multi Million drop that is really worthless.

Nope, I saw a guard advertising a 968m drop party in Falador, W2. Went there, and there was nothing at all in the box.

~M

I don't see what the hubbub about the economy is about. I don't care about inflation/deflation, because I'm not a merchant. I just wanna know if my stuff will sell, and for how much. There will always be people who want raw items.

The economy will come back to normal, perhaps after jagex makes a 1 v 1 bounty hunter. :wink:

A lot of people will quit, but it'll be the people who knew about the wilderness. There's gonna be a whole other generation of RS players, and they wont have ever experienced the wilderness before, so why would they quit? Personally I think jagex is safe.

kill_man222.png

hehheh5copy.jpg

Foodfight13's was one of the best letters to the editor I've ever read.

All of the others were quite good too.

On 12/10/07, Jagex emerged victorious from their war against the mechanical swarms of Real World Traders.

But in the battle, we, the spectators, lost one of our closest friends...

We will always remember you, Merchanting. May the question live on.

Question.jpg

THE WORLD SPINS AROUND PKs!!! PKing IS THE ONE AND ONLY THING TO DO IN ALL RUNESCAPE!

No, Earth spins around a 23.439 degree axis perpendicular to the Earth-Sun plane, making a full rotation every 23 hours and 56 minutes. As a planet, Earth rotates around the Sun. And I'm pretty certain that from the start, everyone has to make a little money from skills, and then buy supplies outside of the wilderness for PKing... but PM me if your selling full rune inside the Bounty Hunter volcano. :P

On 12/10/07, Jagex emerged victorious from their war against the mechanical swarms of Real World Traders.

But in the battle, we, the spectators, lost one of our closest friends...

We will always remember you, Merchanting. May the question live on.

Question.jpg

I really don't agree with the article that foodfight wrote. For one just because a leader or creator is intelligent does not mean his actions are right. I don't believe that just because a rule is a rule doesn't mean it will or should last forever. For example, during the Prohibition years in the United States possesion of alcohol was illegal. But is it still? No, it is not; and alcohol is a staple of many cultures and in many countries. Sure, at the time banning alcohol seemed right, because many men were beating wives and getting drunk every night. Does that make alcohol wrong? Yes, to some people but to the majority of us think nicely of it. Ever heard of the quote "Rules were meant to be broken." I honestly think i agree with it. As time progresses the rules must change to cope with the changes of our lives. Is law that a colony should give most of it's crops to the mother country right? There's a law in Virginia that states that if one receives two speeding tickets in the same month then one has to spend the night in jail. Is that the best punishment? In that state there are thousand dollar speeding tickets. Just because a law is a law doesn't mean its right.

For example, Louis XIV of 16th-century France had a law that anyone who defied him would be put to death. So did Hitler, Stalin and King James; these people were very intelligent but I doubt anyone of us agreed with their methods. Logically, I have disproved the statement "Intelligent people make the right decisions."

In my opinion, people are getting too fixed down on the Balanced Trading ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâñ 3000 coins thing. This will not always be the case:

As many people have suggested, we're planning to raise the 3,000gp staking/trading limit for certain players. This will be proportional to the number of Quest Points you have, with the top-end being ten-times what it is now

As such, while there will still be very strict limits, there will be a lot more freedom than you might at first think, depending on how much you quest. 30000 coins, while not letting you stake really good stuff, certainly provides more options for staked duels. And allows 10 times the freedom in normal trading.

This is, of course, biased against people who don't like quests, but that does seem to be the only way in which you can prove that someone is a dedicated player and not a new account. (Don't say "what about the length of time the account's been around", someone could have made an account and ignored it for a few years. Besides, getting your quest points up doesn't take that long if you have the levels)

i can see the RWT site owners actualy having a calender tthig that says "hey this account has been around for 3 years its now allowed to trade unlimited"

all they would have to do is set up several hundred accounts a day (sweatshops plox?)

years later (what ever jagex would set) they have a messege pop up on master computer that has a list of accts that have reached the needed time.

bam there they go.... time is nothign to them.... as long as they make a few dollers they're happy.

i know jagex is agianst it i am too in a way.... but what if jagex started selling gold and iems.... it would put RWT out of business AND make players happy. now heres the catch you can pay for it in several ways. real money, or possibly a virtual money that you earn in someway... mbey a month trivia thing.... or being a good rule abider.... say if you break one rule no matter how offensive (weather ts using l33t to make bad word in name or chat to insualting a religion) you get no points to use....

in this way jagex would put RWT out of business... its not that hard to break rules... if you break rules you have no reason to complain. whos gonna wanna pay $5 for 1 mil gp vs abide rules for a month.... there could be other ways to like reporting rule breaks gives you a brownie point.... mabey they can give ya a choice to use points ofr gp or items... like pest control....

Phox

p.s. oh and you would have to be active... staying logged out for anymore than 1/4 of a month disqualifies you.... that still allows people who have to play on weekends a chance....

dj_phox.png

i think the idea behind the quest points plan is not to do with how long the acount has been around for but more on the lines of "is it a real gamer not a sweatshop worker?"

in my opinion jagex has made the nesisarily drastic action to finish off these real world traders i mean if you look historicaly the best generals are the ones who break from the "expected reaction" sailing streight into the enamys guns in order to break their line (which worked brilliantly) as opposed to doing what they want you to and what the norm has been :wall: not going to get far with that are you? after all... whats to stop the brains behind the autoers decideing to create a marco that creates accs?

no ammount of banhammer use could stand up to being spammed with autoers

2e2f7zn.jpg1z5oswz.jpg14kktmv.png

2nhpyqv.jpg

sy9rti.jpg

It was so colourful, dudes, that it felt like my eyes were being massaged by marzipan fairies.

No, Earth spins around a 23.439 degree axis perpendicular to the Earth-Sun plane, making a full rotation every 23 hours and 56 minutes. As a planet, Earth rotates around the Sun. And I'm pretty certain that from the start, everyone has to make a little money from skills, and then buy supplies outside of the wilderness for PKing... but PM me if your selling full rune inside the Bounty Hunter volcano. :P

HaHa, very funny. Thats the no. 1 dirty tactic of evil press/media companies: edit, or choose a small piece of a whole text from someone to make fun on that person, so the relevant message contained in the whole text gets ignored of forgotten.

Anyway, your (lets call it "cunning") joke does not reply to the question i pointed out: why are most os PKers SO ARROGANT AND SELFISH to think everybody else has to think like them?

My dislike of PKs is NOT because i was killed in wildy while i was trying to get items for quests. Yeah, i always knew there could be crowds of morons fully armed, ready to kill a passerby wearing nothing only to claim they are great for doing this. (This is WHY Bounty Hunter is based in EGO after all, i believe!). I knew the risks, so i was not there for a fight and hoped i could end my tasks without having to start it again because of a half-dozen fools.

What makes me really sick about PKs is how they were the first do defend that things should be back EXACTLY HOW THEY WERE BEFORE, never giving a damn about how the other activities were affected by RWT and bots (actually it was great that they could buy the sharks cheaper thanks to so many bots, right?).

While other players would go to the official forums and give productive suggestions on how to improve the changes, even the ones that affect PK, even thought many were not regular PKs, PK players did absolutely nothing except SPAN the forums, writing hate messages, and publishing texts that looked like some "RWT defense propaganda". Some of those messages would surely make a RWT website owner cry in happiness for all of that support!

For short: most of PKs acted like 6 year old bratz.

My message is simple: changes are here to stay. Dont be dumb enough to believe Jagex didnt knew how players would react. They knew already and did it anyway. So it gives us a simple choice: you stay, and go to their forums and give suggestions to improve these changes WHILE RESPECTING THE EFFORTS TO FIGHT RWT, or you leave the game.

Theres a whole universe of MMORPGS out there allowing you to buy the best items for $10 and then login to call everybody a noob for not being like you, a great and smart guy who fought the dangerous monster for that equipment you just bought. (Nevermind the player who was scammed /hacked out of the eqp. you now proudly wear, or the pople who had credit cards numbers stolen so RWTs could do their businesses).

If you're a PK, and you choose to stay, then please dont stay only to waste your, and other peoples, and Jagex staff's TIME on hate massages, unpolite messages, RWT-apology-like messages, forum SPAM, riot attempts.... Because in the end, youre not winning your personal vendetta. You're just being annoying!

Did i made it clear enough for you now?

Onen i estel Edain, ÃÆÃâÃâ¦Ã¡-chebin estel anim...

it was a nice read...about the pking being cancled...who thinks it's gonna come back? i heard that rs is getting out the new 1vs1 wild...also..any1 know anything about rs3? i went on to the site but it requirs some admin to reconmand u to play...meh...rs3 looks kinda cool? lol hopefully rs will do an account transfer thing like they did to rsc...cuz rs3 looks pretty cool..and i'm too lazy to train again...lol :thumbsup:

Blue China

I really don't agree with the article that foodfight wrote. For one just because a leader or creator is intelligent does not mean his actions are right. I don't believe that just because a rule is a rule doesn't mean it will or should last forever. For example, during the Prohibition years in the United States possesion of alcohol was illegal. But is it still? No, it is not; and alcohol is a staple of many cultures and in many countries. Sure, at the time banning alcohol seemed right, because many men were beating wives and getting drunk every night. Does that make alcohol wrong? Yes, to some people but to the majority of us think nicely of it. Ever heard of the quote "Rules were meant to be broken." I honestly think i agree with it. As time progresses the rules must change to cope with the changes of our lives. Is law that a colony should give most of it's crops to the mother country right? There's a law in Virginia that states that if one receives two speeding tickets in the same month then one has to spend the night in jail. Is that the best punishment? In that state there are thousand dollar speeding tickets. Just because a law is a law doesn't mean its right.

For example, Louis XIV of 16th-century France had a law that anyone who defied him would be put to death. So did Hitler, Stalin and King James; these people were very intelligent but I doubt anyone of us agreed with their methods. Logically, I have disproved the statement "Intelligent people make the right decisions."

I do agree with you here. Not all rules have been rightly made and not all leaders have ruled justly and made good decisions. You've definitely shown some excellent examples of this. But the point is that I believe that Jagex has made good decisions and established good rules and that we should follow them for the best possible outcome and the greater good of the Runescape community.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

What makes me really sick about PKs is how they were the first do defend that things should be back EXACTLY HOW THEY WERE BEFORE, never giving a damn about how the other activities were affected by RWT and bots (actually it was great that they could buy the sharks cheaper thanks to so many bots, right?).

Sorry for not giving a damn about woodcutting, but that skill is just boring as hell and people used it only to earn money so they could buy cool items or to get things for pking. They now made woodcutting normaly possible again on f2p by removing the wildy, well happy scaping. And RWT's were selling sharks straight on websites for real money, so sharks were not at all getting cheaper thanks to them unles you were a lifeles that buys things from them with real money.

I know, some PKers are prats. But for me was pking the only good thing about the game, being able to take whips from people where they have worked for like a week for? What could be better than that?

Jackg243

PKing is the central hub of the RuneScape economy.

yea, sure. this whole game was made just for players that want to pk.

1. pk-ing may be a part of the rs economy, but i do not consider pk-ing a big part of the rs economy. to get those combat levels, even the pures have to consume food and (why not?) pots. my opinion is that most of the food and the pots is used to train the combat levels and not in the real pk-ing, and that there are plenty of players that want high combat lvl but do not pk.

since your whole letter is based on a wrong initial statement, it makes me see it as something very...

On his "point #1".

PK-ing is not a big part of the rs economy? I can laugh at you as well as the PKers =D> . Pkers, probably followed by monster hunters, though not a majority of the RuneScape population, consume a disproportionately large percentage of produced resources. With them gone (albeit with bots gone as well) there will be far fewer resources consumed, with a larger amout produced (b/c lets face it, people want to make money skilling, not lose it, so they harvest more $ in resources than the spend on resources).

Coupled with the fact that monster hunting is essentially dead (until the allegedly approaching update to the LootShare system) because of the trading cap (face it, who wants to trade 10m in cash to 3 people @ a rate of 30k per 15 minutes?), this constitues and even larger percentage or resource-consumption lost.

Thanks to everyone for commenting? It is very nice to be around intelligent people when discussing RS as opposed to the "LittleKidScape" that Runescape has become. (some tip.it article?)

The inside of a PK's Head

The letter entitled "ABSOLUTELY INTOLERABLE" shows a good view of what a PKer thinks: "herblorists do their pots for PKs", "people fight dragons to sell weps for PKs", "Fletchers do it for the sake of Pks mage lvl"...

Conclusion: WE ARE PK SLAVES!!!

We do not play for fun, we do not level simply to be able to see and fight everything in the game, we even play Trouble Brewing for the sake of PKs!

Oh, and lets not forget that if you dont agree with them is because you are "a skiller n00b".

That whole thing of the changes being the end of RS is ridiculous, we all know that new players will come to know it and like it just the way it is.

Pks are now being challenged to find out how big RS worlds are.

I was not at all suggesting that regular players think "oh my gosh, I have to make stuff in order to provide the almighty PKers with resources that they may unleash their power upon all who enter their domain! Can i lick your shoes? Please? Please?"

That is the impression I got from your commnet :-k . Please correct me if I misunderstood!

I wholly agree that skilling is fun, and I mainly do it for fun. However, if it were not fun as well as profitable, then it would be unsustainable for me to do it. The REASON it is PROFITABLE is that PKers (and monster hunters) consume the vast quantities produced that would otherwise sit stagnant in a market with very few buyers.

It just happens to work out that PKers use these materials to their advantage, and skillers sell them for their own profit, whether out of their greed or their desire to continue skilling.

I am personally not a PKer, never have been. I find it quite aggravating when I'm doing a clue scroll with nothing valuable on me, and im PKed by a team for the heck of it. I find skilling and monster hunting quite attractive... I have no argument against "skiller n00bs". We/they are just as vital a part of the RS economy as the PKers. One without the other is useless.

I like the new updates for the most part (except for the end of monster hunting, which will soon be remedied), and I as well think it is good for people to get out and explore what RuneScape really is all about!

I find skilling and monster hunting quite attractive...

I like the new updates for the most part (except for the end of monster hunting, which will soon be remedied), and I as well think it is good for people to get out and explore what RuneScape really is all about!

I liked monster hunting to, it was basicly the coolest way to earn money. But after I've slayed a boss for a couple of times it gets boring pretty quickly and then you're only killing them for their drops. But oh wait I can't spend my money anymore on pking so whats the point of doing it.

I'm just not one of the people that gets satisfaction from getting xp and getting ranked in the highscores, it's just to boring. And there is nobody who will ever check up your highscores and see how good you are, unless you're on top of the ranks. I'd rather like to go and pk with a team, I might get owned or maybe we own some cool stuff. You'll never know, it's always exciting, also you'll check how good you are compared to other real players. And the best thing is that you can get things where people worked hours for, it's not like unstaked dueling that nobody cares if they die. If I'm going to woodcut nothing special will ever happen, you can always predict what's coming and it's boring as hell.

I have explored nearly everything what runescape is about, and the best content in the game was the wilderness. Don't look down on pkers because you were to bad to own in the wilderness.

For example view one of my lasts pk's and tell me that wasn't awesome.

Everybody can skill, not every one can PK. This is just my view on it.

I have explored nearly everything what runescape is about, and the best content in the game was the wilderness. Don't look down on pkers because you were to bad to own in the wilderness.

For example view one of my lasts pk's and tell me that wasn't awesome.

Everybody can skill, not every one can PK. This is just my view on it.

I did not at all mean to insinuate that every PKer does nothing else but PK, PK, PK... I am 100% supportive of people who like to PK and play the rest of RS at the same time! Even though I am not a PKer, it is (very) occasionally fun for me to go pking whether by myself or with a team...though i usually end up dying, whether by clean kill or team betrayal :evil: lol. I guess what kind of aggravates me is when i see someone PKing and owning, i look them up and they have 99 att, 99 str, 40 def and nothing else ranked...it sort of rankles me a bit.

Props to you and every other PKer who gets out and does stuff!

And that was a pretty sweet PK.... 32-27 ftw lol