Gold Farmer's Life

TeamBloody

I spent 6 months and of caz with 6 months membership fees and agency fees on it.

Interesting. He's not just paying Jagex, he's got to pay some agency. Which means that whatever income he gets from RWT is being "taxed" by the middle-men. I wonder what proportion of the cash reaches him and his family?

I don't want to see people starve to death either, but I seriously doubt RWT is a practical and effective method of helping.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 6 months and of caz with 6 months membership fees and agency fees on it.

Interesting. He's not just paying Jagex, he's got to pay some agency. Which means that whatever income he gets from RWT is being "taxed" by the middle-men. I wonder what proportion of the cash reaches him and his family?

I don't want to see people starve to death either, but I seriously doubt RWT is a practical and effective method of helping.

I agree. But implying someone deserves to die for the benefit of onesself, and a corporation is sickening. (Not aimed at you).

Glad to know that the limit stopped them.

Well that's what you get pretty much if you break constantly break multiple rules...

I think you are missing some big concepts here. You're talking about rules that people are breaking? He's talking about trying to live. Incase you don't get the big picture here, most adults can easily make $200 in a day. Not $180 in a month. Breaking rules isn't the big ussue here.

Lets put it this way.....

If someone robbed your house just to 'make a living' would you say "Hey he's trying to live who cares." No you won't your gonna go to the police and want him caught.

These gold farmers are stealing from Jagex.

Funny how you see robbing a house and cheating on a game as the same thing.

Do you also have the same emotional reactions when you lose items ingame, as when you lose valuable items in real life than? Probably, since you obviously draw parallels between robbing houses to robbing pixels in such a nonchalant manner.

Actually it isn't solely pixel stealing. They make jagex lose alot of money

And he's not saying it's the same thing, but there is a similarity.

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

I wouldn't call this working...- he's playing!

Man i wish i could play video games and make money!

ww.mlgpro.com

Tournaments FTW! I came 8th out of 60 in the MLG shadowrun open. ONly lost because one of my team didn't turn up. <.<

Obviously runescape isn't one fo the supported games. Gotta be professional FPS. No doubt there are other sites for RTS tournies.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Actually, Jagex loses no money, they just don't gain anything.

Without RWT they would gain more, so with RWT they lose profit (= money)

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Actually, Jagex loses no money, they just don't gain anything.

Without RWT they would gain more, so with RWT they lose profit (= money)

Gain more how? Jagex only sells subscriptions.

One can only argue back and forth, that the money used to buy GP, will result in a shorter stay in RS for the player, due to having acquired the GP easier, helping the person attain their goals in a quicker manner.

But thats just theory.

That's kinda sad because I know how hard it is to make money in China, since pretty much all of my relatives live there.

They earn like $30NZ a month :\

It's pretty appauling.

But that person has it easy.

Playing a game for a job.

wongtongxg4.gif

F2P | 59/70 smith | 13/15 skills 70+ | 70 smith banked.

loinclothec5.gif

Well that's what you get pretty much if you break constantly break multiple rules...

I think you are missing some big concepts here. You're talking about rules that people are breaking? He's talking about trying to live. Incase you don't get the big picture here, most adults can easily make $200 in a day. Not $180 in a month. Breaking rules isn't the big ussue here.

I think you're missing the point. the gold farmer needs to go find a better job and stop killing Runescape.

...Either that or start playing Second Life, where not only is farming allowed, it is encouraged (linden exchange: 400 lindens to a real dollar, for example)

kwarlord.png

"Hey, I can't help it if I was born this cool." Adell, Disgaea 2

I think you're missing the point. the gold farmer needs to go find a better job and stop killing Runescape.

...Either that or start playing Second Life, where not only is farming allowed, it is encouraged (linden exchange: 400 lindens to a real dollar, for example)

Yeah I have friend who makes roughly $500 a month off selling furniture. He's a carpenter, meaning he sits at home with a 3d program designing furniture and puts it into game. Pretty tight.

I think some basic and rather broad misconceptions are roaring like wildfire through this thread.

One is that these poor people must be starving to death living in cardboard shacks if they are only making $200 a month. That ignores the fact that cost of living differs from country to country. China is still much cheaper than most (all other?) developed nations, and $200 a month may be quite a bit of money to this person. I'd say it's quite likely that it is, especially if they can afford this computer and internet connection in such a place.

Another is that this person is going to somehow mystically starve to death (and his/her family too!) if they don't have this job gold farming in runescape. Like nearly everywhere else in the world, they'll just get another job. Probably another gold farming job in a different game, of course, but another job. I could argue that it would be a good thing that they have to find some other work besides sitting at a computer having a virtual character chop wood or fish for food...

In my personal opinion, if you are so concerned about these people, spend your time being concerned about the actual starving people in developing countries who don't have a computer, don't sit at a computer in a nice safe environment all day, and do have much more dire problems with getting fed, getting medical help, getting shelter over their heads. Just because they don't have the ability to directly impact your lives through a net connection doesn't mean they don't exist.

I think some basic and rather broad misconceptions are roaring like wildfire through this thread.

One is that these poor people must be starving to death living in cardboard shacks if they are only making $200 a month. That ignores the fact that cost of living differs from country to country. China is still much cheaper than most (all other?) developed nations, and $200 a month may be quite a bit of money to this person. I'd say it's quite likely that it is, especially if they can afford this computer and internet connection in such a place.

Another is that this person is going to somehow mystically starve to death (and his/her family too!) if they don't have this job gold farming in runescape. Like nearly everywhere else in the world, they'll just get another job. Probably another gold farming job in a different game, of course, but another job. I could argue that it would be a good thing that they have to find some other work besides sitting at a computer having a virtual character chop wood or fish for food...

In my personal opinion, if you are so concerned about these people, spend your time being concerned about the actual starving people in developing countries who don't have a computer, don't sit at a computer in a nice safe environment all day, and do have much more dire problems with getting fed, getting medical help, getting shelter over their heads. Just because they don't have the ability to directly impact your lives through a net connection doesn't mean they don't exist.

+1

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Some of the attitudes and opinions displayed within this thread left me feeling sick.

The only point I will concede is that yes, the buying and selling of JaGeX's intellectual property is against the law, and engaging in illegal activities bring's along with it the risk of punishment.

The greed and hate in some of the prior statements in my opinion is just as bad, if not worse than, the actions you accuse the goldfarmers of taking. I think Fook hit the nail on the head when he said he is a human first, and a runescape player second. It seems that many have gotten this order reversed.

"I don't care who's behind it, I want them to burn in hell."

"I hope it's taking away their next meal, or their ability to recieve education."

These quotes were obviously not verbatim, but thats what they were saying. But I have to ask one question: Are you [censored] serious? I hope for your own welfare that you some day recieve a better perspective on this life.

And for those that say if you care so much go out and do something, I'll beat you to it. I do participate in charities. I've been involved in several habitat for humanity events, I donate every holiday, have participated in a big brother style program to help inner city youth, as well as other channels to assist those that need it.

I'm done with this thread, I just felt obligated to try and balance some of the hate on these pages.

sigstat.png

Sometime in 2002, I wish I could find an earlier one with an accurate date.

+1.

I'm not actually pointing the finger at the maker of this thread, but I get the feeling that the sudden increase in 'The life of a Goldfarmer' threads are a last chance try at getting Jagex to revert back by laying on pity for the farmers. It's not going to happen unless someone invents a better solution in which RWTers are still disallowed but legitimate players are less restricted.

These people are in an area where, although poverty is pretty bad, they have the fastest growing economy in the world and jobs are available.

The point is that what these people are doing is stealing. All Runescape items and accounts belong to Jagex. That's why they have the ability to ban 'our' accounts without our consent, it would be a legal nightmare for everyone if we could claim actual ownership of accounts and items.

Oh, and it is perfectly sensible to relate virtual objects as having the same significance as actual objects. Calling them 'pixels' is fine, but only if you call the real object 'atoms'. Even music is just 'sound waves'. Anyway, these items are being stolen and sold for pure profit in a black market. The point is that removing RWTing has helped even the RWTers by trying to convince them to stop taking part in an illegal activity, which is much more important than a game's rules.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The point is that what these people are doing is stealing. All Runescape items and accounts belong to Jagex. That's why they have the ability to ban 'our' accounts without our consent, it would be a legal nightmare for everyone if we could claim actual ownership of accounts and items.

Hi ^^ I am a maker is this thread. Here I just want to point out: A thief in a community does not mean that the whole community are thievies.. For instance, if you stole stuff from a convenience store, we cant say your whole family are thieves because this is just unfair to your family :wink: .

At least the guy there did not steal anything nor using any bots programs (he tried once but he has stopped after getting banned)

And yea!! All Runescape items and accounts belong to Jagex. So we should not make any rants nor any opinions. Rather, it will be the way better to do nothing like a sheep and wait for Jagex come owning us =D>

By the way, I posting thie thread did not mean to encourage the rwt but just found interest about the article. I dont really know that you guys have read similar stuff b4 so I am very sorry :oops: .

Fools!! Having Wilderness Pking back is harder than Letting camels pass through the needle's hole!!

It's always been something that people failed to consider (well, most people anyway) when talking about RWT -- would the rules really matter if you were starving? The answer is pretty obvious, if you asked around: Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

Honestly, what Jagex had to do in order to save its own game was something of a necessity. It's difficult to consider both sides of this argument, but what can you say? I'm sorry the poor guy is out of a job, and I'm sorry that people like him are suffering in poverty, but what's a community to do...sit by idly and let RWT ruin the game, or let them exist and cause even more havoc to the game?

Did you just say what I think you said?

Yes Lime, he sadly did imply, along with alot of other nitwits, that he would rather see some people die in real life (something some of you should learn more about before posting) , than see a multimillion company lose money.

If I could swear here I'd give some ppl a piece of my mind.

I'll tell some of you people something.

If 1 chinese goldfarmer could give me substantial, real evidence, that he was dying in real life. I'd gladly risk losing my character and the hundreds , perhaps thousands of hours spent in the game, to buy $100 worth of stupid RS GOLD, and keep him alive.

Why? Because I'm a human 1st, than a runescape player 2nd. Alot of you are obviously the other way around and its disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

I myself disagree with RWT and using a game in a way its not meant to be.

I also disagree with underage prostitution, but circumstances force people to do things they don't wish to.

Sleeping with an old disgusting hairy man isn't exactly what people dream of doing for a living, but some are forced to. Don't fool yourself into thinking that these people take enjoyment out of playing a game they don't give a rats [wagon] about, for a "little westerner brat" who earns more in pocket money than they do in a month. Maybe if some of you left your protected bubbles in which you live, you'd think twice before coming across as heartless brats who think you know something about suffering and sacrifice.

You can't weigh the human soul on a weigh scale, so stop trying.

Jagex updating the game to combat RWT is nonetheless positive, as it will make the game better. The GAME.

p.s. I hate coming across as some kind of preacher of morals and ethics. I just couldn't help it, after reading some of the reactions here. It disgusted me.

+1,but i do agree with the person who suggested switching to Second Life.that would seem to be the most reasonable solution.

It's always been something that people failed to consider (well, most people anyway) when talking about RWT -- would the rules really matter if you were starving? The answer is pretty obvious, if you asked around: Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

Honestly, what Jagex had to do in order to save its own game was something of a necessity. It's difficult to consider both sides of this argument, but what can you say? I'm sorry the poor guy is out of a job, and I'm sorry that people like him are suffering in poverty, but what's a community to do...sit by idly and let RWT ruin the game, or let them exist and cause even more havoc to the game?

Yes Lime, he sadly did imply, along with alot of other nitwits, that he would rather see some people die in real life (something some of you should learn more about before posting) , than see a multimillion company lose money.

If 1 chinese goldfarmer could give me substantial, real evidence, that he was dying in real life. I'd gladly risk losing my character and the hundreds , perhaps thousands of hours spent in the game, to buy $100 worth of stupid RS GOLD, and keep him alive.

Why? Because I'm a human 1st, than a runescape player 2nd. Alot of you are obviously the other way around and its disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

I also disagree with underage prostitution, but circumstances force people to do things they don't wish to.

Sleeping with an old disgusting hairy man isn't exactly what people dream of doing for a living, but some are forced to. Don't fool yourself into thinking that these people take enjoyment out of playing a game they don't give a rats [wagon] about, for a "little westerner brat" who earns more in pocket money than they do in a month. Maybe if some of you left your protected bubbles in which you live, you'd think twice before coming across as heartless brats who think you know something about suffering and sacrifice.

Jagex updating the game to combat RWT is nonetheless positive, as it will make the game better. The GAME.

p.s. I hate coming across as some kind of preacher of morals and ethics. I just couldn't help it, after reading some of the reactions here. It disgusted me.

+1,but i do agree with the person who suggested switching to Second Life.that would seem to be the most reasonable solution.

A guy robs your house to feed his family. Is he innocent?

Uh, no.

Like I just said. I don't give a damn if you're dying. Nothing gives you the right to steal.

madmax_410.png

madmax_410.png

[hide=quote train]

[/hide]

Uh, no.

Like I just said. I don't give a damn if you're dying. Nothing gives you the right to steal.

You can't really compare this to real life, Runescape is only a game after all. Maybe if you're talking about JaGEx, but even then, I haven't seen any evidence that RWT'ers hurt them badly besides breaking their rules.

icecube7.jpeg

[hide=quote train]

[/hide]

Uh, no.

You can't really compare this to real life, Runescape is only a game after all. Maybe if you're talking about JaGEx, but even then, I haven't seen any evidence that RWT'ers hurt them badly besides breaking their rules.

First, they were making money off of another persons' work.

Second, they were causing serious fines to Jagex. It's a fact, many RWTers use stolen credit cards.

Third, they made other players' gaming experience miserable.

madmax_410.png

madmax_410.png