"Vintage" Combat Equipment Setups

Leetman

Over the years of Runescape there have been many improvements on items, weapons, and armour. What I'm interested in what was 'cutting edge' back one, two, three, and four (or more) years ago? What were people using to do what, and how much did it all cost at the time? To give some ideas, think about these periods and events in history...

Classic (before p2p)

Classic (After p2p)

-KBD killing

-PKing

RS2 (04)

-KQ Killing

-PKing (all styles)

05 (think when barrows was rare)

06 (furies, more barrows, DKing)

07 (before GWD, and after)

Pictures are GREATLY appreciated, as always

signature.png

Me attempting to save for guthans when I turned 70 defence. It was 18m. I think I spun flax for 2 weeks and got about 1.3m before giving up.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Would you mind telling me when, please? That's like half of the aim of the guide right there =D, but thanks a bunch for the input nonetheless!

EDIT: Thanks Range, I was too busy saving up for Guthix back then to worry about barrows XD

signature.png

Way back in, oh, probably early '03...

Full rune and rune 2h. Full rune was whatever the shop price is, and the 2h was around 200k. This is when 100k was about like 10mil now lol.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Addy large helm

Mithril plate (was no addy plate in the game yet)

Addy legs/skirt

Steel square sheild (or kite, I dont remember)

Addy long sword

No amulet ^_^

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Nice idea for a topic. I think the optimum pking setups are the things that have changed the most.

i can remember a few classic setups: my favourite hybrib mb setup was ahrims top and bottom with whip, zammy book and warrior (not zerker) helm. That was back when the whip spec was good and no-one bothered with dds' and the helm of choice was warrior before the big obsession with strength bonus.

Another classic look was splitbark top with mystic bottoms back when mystic top protected over whip. That was pretty much the staple gear for drags pking.

Shortly after the tzhaar area came out but before untrades like defender and torso took over edge pking there was a period when a common look was full rune with obby set, or rune/fire cape/obby shield combo. The shield was rarely seen once defenders arrived.

Since BH has been out a while now i guess this almost counts as a vintage setup: The classic rune pure outfit from late 06-07. Zerker helm, fighter torso, rune defender, rune legs, str ammy, climbers, defender, whip, dds in inventory. This was the staple edge fighting gear for quite a while.

red-mask-sig.gif?t=1238621802

MSSW4Banner.gif

O god...I remember when defenders came out and nobody PKed with rune kites anymore. Then torsos, and no one used plates.

I remember people using crappy gear like rune, mystic, and dhide for DKs. And everyone used a crystal bow (they are actually really good haha).

Watched a PK vid from 04 or 05 and rich people wore mystic, zerker helm, glory, whip, and zammy book :P

Nice topic :thumbup:

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

The big set up from RSC that I think most players (me especially) aspired to was:

Dragon Med Helm

Rune Platebody

Rune Platelegs

Dragon Longsword/Battleaxe

Dragon Square shield

Cape of Legends

Dragonstone Amulet

Heck, I sometimes still run about in that get up for nostalgia sake, although I could never ever get that set up back in the days :lol:

Dark_Jab.png

Take a stab at this one:

Blue wizard hat, Rune Scimitar, Blue wizard top, Anti Dragon Shield, Green D'hide legs, Leather Boots, Green D'hide vamp, Strength Amulet

Good ol 1 defence pure, free2play. Easily cloned, never mastered :lol:

Quality posting at its finest.

The big set up from RSC that I think most players (me especially) aspired to was:

Dragon Med Helm

Rune Platebody

Rune Platelegs

Dragon Square shield

Cape of Legends

Dragonstone Amulet

Heck, I sometimes still run about in that get up for nostalgia sake, although I could never ever get that set up back in the days :lol:

Switch the body for chain and klanks :)

Patrik001.png

88102pbj 8a - BANNED at 108 combat 2004 - 84 Combat RSC.

Patrik001 - 72 Attack 50 Defence 92 Strength RSC.

X Patrik X - 85 Attack 75 Defence 92 Strength RSC.

Hey here's a setup I always saw 100+'s training on ogres near my ranging spot back in spring 05 wore.

-Berzerker Helm (back when everyone wore warrior helm)

-Glory Ammy

-Rune Pl8, legs, boots

-Klank's

-Dragon Longsword (scimmy if they were questers)

-Prayer Book

In the age before Barrows (or when it was 10mil+ for all sets)...

signature.png

didnt people in calssic use battle staffs to train because it had highest attack bonuses? or something

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P

My rsc set up.

Black wizard hat, strength ammy, priest skirt, leather gloves, and a rune 2-handed.

Was a 30 combat lvl 1 varrock pk'er. Wined up to 40 attack so i had no hp but had best strength for my level was surprisingly fun especially when i was with my 10 hp 70 range friend lots of 3 hitting :D

doordiellkl2.jpg

Lol sorry fot the shocking loot but was only pic where i could see myself, dont have many pics left now :(

capesn.png

My capes in the order they were achieved

I remember when Shantey Disclaimers where f2p for a while, everyone was merching with those things in Rsc :P and ofcourse training with a mystic battlestaff instead of Dragon long :P

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

Nice idea for a topic. I think the optimum pking setups are the things that have changed the most.

i can remember a few classic setups: my favourite hybrib mb setup was ahrims top and bottom with whip, zammy book and warrior (not zerker) helm. That was back when the whip spec was good and no-one bothered with dds' and the helm of choice was warrior before the big obsession with strength bonus.

Another classic look was splitbark top with mystic bottoms back when mystic top protected over whip. That was pretty much the staple gear for drags pking.

Shortly after the tzhaar area came out but before untrades like defender and torso took over edge pking there was a period when a common look was full rune with obby set, or rune/fire cape/obby shield combo. The shield was rarely seen once defenders arrived.

Since BH has been out a while now i guess this almost counts as a vintage setup: The classic rune pure outfit from late 06-07. Zerker helm, fighter torso, rune defender, rune legs, str ammy, climbers, defender, whip, dds in inventory. This was the staple edge fighting gear for quite a while.

lol why do i remember every word of that :D good times. i made lots of money of splitbark making :lol:

i remember the good old set before the torso and defender. you had an inventer full of sharks and super set. no freaking recoil spell(the lunar one) and other crap :geek:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

RSC members:

D med

Dragonstone amulet

Rune Platebody

Rune Platelegs

Dragon Battleaxe

Rune Kiteshield (later dragon square for the super rich people)

Legends cape

I had that outfit except for the cape and helm (d meds were close to the prices of partyhats if I remember correctly :wall: )

RSC f2p:

Rune large helm

amulet of strength

rune platebody

rune platelegs

rune 2h sword

back then the r2h was the ideal pking weapon, as all weapons were the same speed. Wouldn't make sense to pk with a rune scim, because it was the same speed with almsot half the power.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

Dragon Med Helm

Rune Platebody

Rune Platelegs

Dragon Square shield

Cape of Legends

Dragonstone Amulet

I wore

Santa hat

str ammy

rune plate

rune legs

green cape

boots

gloves

rune 2h

I was f2p

santa= 230k

rune full 150k?

r2h 60k at the time.

Xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

xzxpvp7xzx.png

2nd troll to 840+ post count.

RSC Pking

Monks Robes, Full Iron, Full Rune

RSC KBD

Rune Plate/Legs, Dragon Med, Dragon Sqaure - Why, that's all we had!

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

All of my Dagganoth Kings Setups:

Veracs Prime/Supreme Hybrid:

NewScreenshot014.jpg

Alright, Nevermind about the rest, I can't find them, since I had to delete all of my RS pics from this HD. Sadly.

EDIT: With this setup, three men could stay on World 2. 120+ Combat, granted.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

Classic (before p2p) full addy was the richest stuff

Classic (After p2p) rune with r2h (early) and rune with d med and sq (late)

-KBD killing

-PKing

RS2 (04) dragon chains and black cavs were great, black stuff was totally in

-KQ Killing

-PKing (all styles)

05 (think when barrows was rare) barrows or course. One thing I know, verac helm was WORTHLESS untill people realized it made kqing so easy.

06 (furies, more barrows, DKing)

07 (before GWD, and after)

Pictures are GREATLY appreciated, as always

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum