What is wrong with "buying" skills?

muggiwhplar

I don't care how people get their 99's. Everyone is entitled to play the game as they wat, for the purpose they see fit. I even respect cooking and fletching capes, since these people have something I don't have, a 99.

As for me, I play the game like I see fit. Most of the "99 buyers" will see it as inefficient (to go short, time is money), but I don't care for it. Like some noobs look down upon me for my poor outfit, others for the fact that I have no 99 after 3.5 years of playing or whatever, I had fun playing this game.

I like being as self-sufficient as possible. It gives me the feeling I really TRAINED the skill. If others find they have to pour money into it to get their xp 10x faster then me, that's fine by me.

In the end, stop whining and putting other people down. It's a game. Play it like you want.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic. My opinion: if you can buy a skill you want, then go for it. Getting the money is quite a feat. I'll be getting 99 slayer soon, which has earned me enough cash to get 99 prayer. Why in the blazes should I go spending the rest of this year ranging dragons to get the bones the hardcore way? That 100M came from a few years of spending a lot of my RS time on slayer and now I'm spending it.

However, I do understand people who get pissed off when a formerly difficult skill becomes buyable. I'm two weeks from 99 slayer. It's the skill that makes me play RS and I've been looking forward to sealing my love for it with a 99 for 2 years now... If Jagex changes slayer to a buyable skill that takes no more than 60 hours to get, I will surely grumble. Why? Because a whole load of people are going to splash a lot of money on a skill they might not even like. They just want the easy 99 to show off a highly respected cape. It then loses its respectability, because everybody and their dog has it. I can't stress this enough: without even liking the skill!

To be honest, a skill is a skill, it doesn't matter if it is buyable or not. If it is "buyable" then you've probably earned it (or was very lucky in the process) and efficiency is a large factor in all of this - spending money to get somewhere quicker is probably wiser than to train it a slow and less efficient way.

Currently playing on War of Legends (Royal Gardens)

GWD makes money/99s stupidly hard to come by. I got 99 range just before you did on muggi before people knew about chins.. 99 range was a rare thing as it was so hard/boring to complete. Now look at it... I wear my cape around, and people always always ask me how many chins for 99.. -.-

I agree with you totally.

One reason that people don't like that people spend cash on it, is that they are bitter cause they never had such fast way when they where lower level.

I will readily emit how much of a role jealousy plays in this game. I see a friend who made his money by scamming and merchenting who now has 99 mage and almost 99 range. I started off by being jealous of him using the excuse that I got my mine the legitimate way. I didn't merchent or do the scam (technically it wasn't a scam) for all of my money but of course he was the one that had a bank worth 10+x more then mine. I then because pissed off at him because he wouldn't buy any high skills which were easy to buy. He got 99 mage mainly by alching for gosh sakes when he could have bursted soo much faster. He almost has 99 range by old style of using crystal bows and ranging randum things. The other thing that I will admit is that I used to (and still am guilty of at times) hold pride in the fact that I didn't have huge luck in runescape. I didn't average a barrows drop every 10 runs like him. I didn't get any good drops at sara god wars. He copied my idea of a tank. The jealousy can go on and on. Ultimately I believe it comes down to how you have fun in the game. If you have fun believing that you are better then another person because you got your levels and cash a legitimate (in your opinion) way then that's fine. Thankfully I've learned to play for the fun of it. There isn't any reason to be pissed off because your friend made 10m in an hour merchenting while runecrafted almost non-stop and only made 500k in an hour.

Getting another sig

[removed]

Why do people hate others buying skills? Because they're poor idiots that believe that the way they train is some how more imporant than all the others, and so they believe they have to right to shove their various training methods down other player's throats.

No witty signatures for me :(

Being almost purely unbiased in my opinion (no 99 4 lyfe!)* i'd have to say that how you get your 99 is up to you, I havnt really immersed into this game enough to fully appreciate the 300 or so hours people put in to one thing. I mean grats, great job on not going outside, great determination, i give you credit for your valour and whatnot, but if someone doesnt appreciate how you got it, well.. straight up, plain and simple, they are dumb.

If you appreciate, and value your achievement, then you've done good for yourself, and im proud of you. just because you bought a skill doesnt mean you dont deserve it, you still did the work, you just did work in other ways** to afford the fast method.

Overall, i have to say, This is a game! dont fret over whether some sweaty obese kid is typing angrily at you because he feels he was devalued for not using a fast method, or for getting his 99 back in the good ol' days when there were no chinchompas, and the walk to falador was up hill in 4 feet of snow. both ways.

* I sincerely apologize for that ... horrid.. thing i just typed, believe me it hurt to do, but yes, i have no 99, nor any intention of ever actually working to get one, rs is a time killer, and nothing more, and i must say i feel kind of guilty for how much time i've massacred over the years (6 year veteran, woo me, although i usually limit myself to 2 months in spring to not go outside. spring is the devil. i hate you mother nature for spawning spring)

** no one questions you for what you had to do for that money, i just hope it stops hurting when you sit soon. har har.

~Brando The Stoic~ly Lazy

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

k well, I've been reading thus topic for some time. tbh, me and members of the clan I'm in discussed this xtensively, sometimes on a regular baisis. here is my take.

Like on page one, sum1 said that if they're exp I'd barely past the 99 mark, they only got the cape to get it. bow here is my arguement in defense of that.

you see low lvl skillers get 99 in firemaking, fletching, and cooking. now that pisses me off. not because I can't get it, believe me I can get 99 fm or fletch or cook pretty easily, even with my pathetic lvls. what I'm mad about is that these low lvl noobs buy their way to a 99 cape. isn't 99 supposed to be special? to show you spent time on that skill? its not about just getting a cape. but most skillers do that. they buy 99 in a skill. and that pisses me off. cuz they are only getting 99 in one of those 3 skills cuz they're easy to get. yes, I hate ppl who have any of those 3 99 capes. what I hate even more is when those are the only capes they got. cuz since anyone with 10-15m can afford to get 99 in that skill. in my mind, those skills are now nooby, because they're so easy to get. don't bs me and say the capes take time, cuz firemaking is the only one of those 3 that u have to click for each one. but thats such a stupid and easy skill. 99 in fletch or cook or fm isn't special anymore since these skillers popped up just to brag and get 99 in easy skills with their money. now, in my mind, good skills are ones u can't buy with 10-15m. skills like prayer and herb. u can't buy them with that little money. but skills that u actually have to spend time on are good, like mining and woodcutting and melée related combat skills. if u can spend so little money and get 99 in a skill, I don't think that's an achievement anymore. that's just showing ur desperate for a skil cape and will pay the lowest amount of money possible to get one. if ur gunna get 99, get it in a good skill like agility or hunter, or any skills you can't buy with the least amount of money. they're called Capes of Achievment not capes of a-cheapo. there's no honor in buying 99 in a cheap skill. but a lot of honor in spending time and real effort to get 99 in a decent skill.

if u use the legit and old fashioned inefficient way, then u r a good person.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

On the topic of xxxgod, I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they just joined today, have on post, and are already using that post to tell other people how to play their game.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Can you care to explain "the legit and old fashioned inefficient way" to train firemaking?

Same thing with fletching. (Making bows is actually the slower method to 99 [Making arrows is faster])

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

On the topic of xxxgod, I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they just joined today, have on post, and are already using that post to tell other people how to play their game.

Then you wouldn't mind if I told you how to play the game? lol

You have my attention.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

k well, I've been reading thus topic for some time. tbh, me and members of the clan I'm in discussed this xtensively, sometimes on a regular baisis. here is my take.

Like on page one, sum1 said that if they're exp I'd barely past the 99 mark, they only got the cape to get it. bow here is my arguement in defense of that.

you see low lvl skillers get 99 in firemaking, fletching, and cooking. now that pisses me off. not because I can't get it, believe me I can get 99 fm or fletch or cook pretty easily, even with my pathetic lvls. what I'm mad about is that these low lvl noobs buy their way to a 99 cape. isn't 99 supposed to be special? to show you spent time on that skill? its not about just getting a cape. but most skillers do that. they buy 99 in a skill. and that pisses me off. cuz they are only getting 99 in one of those 3 skills cuz they're easy to get. yes, I hate ppl who have any of those 3 99 capes. what I hate even more is when those are the only capes they got. cuz since anyone with 10-15m can afford to get 99 in that skill. in my mind, those skills are now nooby, because they're so easy to get. don't bs me and say the capes take time, cuz firemaking is the only one of those 3 that u have to click for each one. but thats such a stupid and easy skill. 99 in fletch or cook or fm isn't special anymore since these skillers popped up just to brag and get 99 in easy skills with their money. now, in my mind, good skills are ones u can't buy with 10-15m. skills like prayer and herb. u can't buy them with that little money. but skills that u actually have to spend time on are good, like mining and woodcutting and melée related combat skills. if u can spend so little money and get 99 in a skill, I don't think that's an achievement anymore. that's just showing ur desperate for a skil cape and will pay the lowest amount of money possible to get one. if ur gunna get 99, get it in a good skill like agility or hunter, or any skills you can't buy with the least amount of money. they're called Capes of Achievment not capes of a-cheapo. there's no honor in buying 99 in a cheap skill. but a lot of honor in spending time and real effort to get 99 in a decent skill.

wow never thought of 15m being cheap...i mean ive never had more than like 5 mill..ever..and ive played for 5ish years now. but i guess i like spending money on things and then dieing.. but still i slay and im currently 72. now usually i average atlest 1m of drops every few days so where does that all go? on random crap. thats right i just throw it all away on my skills. some of them i train effeciently and others i just throw away like mage. and reading this i realize this doesnt make sense.. well im crazy and its 2 in the mornin.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png

Being almost purely unbiased in my opinion (no 99 4 lyfe!)* i'd have to say that how you get your 99 is up to you, I havnt really immersed into this game enough to fully appreciate the 300 or so hours people put in to one thing. I mean grats, great job on not going outside, great determination, i give you credit for your valour and whatnot, but if someone doesnt appreciate how you got it, well.. straight up, plain and simple, they are dumb.

If you appreciate, and value your achievement, then you've done good for yourself, and im proud of you. just because you bought a skill doesnt mean you dont deserve it, you still did the work, you just did work in other ways** to afford the fast method.

Overall, i have to say, This is a game! dont fret over whether some sweaty obese kid is typing angrily at you because he feels he was devalued for not using a fast method, or for getting his 99 back in the good ol' days when there were no chinchompas, and the walk to falador was up hill in 4 feet of snow. both ways.

* I sincerely apologize for that ... horrid.. thing i just typed, believe me it hurt to do, but yes, i have no 99, nor any intention of ever actually working to get one, rs is a time killer, and nothing more, and i must say i feel kind of guilty for how much time i've massacred over the years (6 year veteran, woo me, although i usually limit myself to 2 months in spring to not go outside. spring is the devil. i hate you mother nature for spawning spring)

** no one questions you for what you had to do for that money, i just hope it stops hurting when you sit soon. har har.

~Brando The Stoic~ly Lazy

We don't need to hear about how everyone with a 99 skill has no life and how you are so amazing for not wanting one.

OT: I enjoy making money... and I can make it fast (with some luck ;) )

It is definitely faster in most cases for me to make the money to power train a skill than to train it the slow but cheap way. Why put myself through the pain of slow training methods when I can do it faster and have more fun?

People are either stupid or ignorant, they don't take the time to figure that time = money as you've explained. They're also mad that they were the dumb/poor ones and spent 300+ hrs somewhere else, while the smart person with the money they worked hard for, decided he wanted range quickly. Honestly the people that are mad about buyable skills need to [bleep] off :-# .

How am I "dumb/poor" for getting 99 range before this method came out? I got 99 range "the old fashioned" way and have done the 4M experience after that.

I just dislike the method - spend a load of money and get nothing in return. On my way to 99 range I earned myself three party hats, purely from ranging.

Before chins came out there were probably only 2000 99 rangers, if that. Now there's over 10,000. It's just become a less "respected" skill and it also annoys me how some people assume I used chins to get to 99, I spent hours on end at greaters and my "achievement" has been "downgraded" thanks to the chinning method.

I don't hate chins as much, if people earned the money for it (Not by getting lucky at GWD...) or got the chins themselves then fair enough. It just seems every man and his dog has 99 range these days and 75% of those used chins to get there.

Both of these quotes really exaggerate the point I was going to make. Both parties can't accept each others method and each believe theirs to be superior. Those who have chinned to 99 might think that people using an MSB or whatever have 'wasted' time whereas the other people may think chinners are wasting cash.

In the end it all boils down to fact that people can't understand that other people enjoy different aspects of the game. So what if people go to GWD and get rich fast? If they enjoy it, then who should criticise? And hey, if somebody wants to camp at Fire Giants with an MSB and steel arrows, that's ok too!

yeah i totally agree, if the person has spent time to gain the money, then why not let him use it to gain quick exp

the people who dont like buyable skills are either too poor or did it the old fashioned way before that way was discovered. i understand the people who did it the old fashioned way, as it is usually slower. but on the bright side, you wouldve saved 80mil if you hadnt discovered chins. it doesnt seem fair but you have to get over it. as for the people who simply cant afford it, they are just jealous because they dont like other people levlleing faster than them and cant take it

Money_Wasted.png

I dont like it when people buy 99 super fast then stop that skill, and have 13035765xp.

I respect people more who have 99 and still continue to use the benefits of 99 instead of just wearing the cape because they can afford it. Obviously for some skills then there is no point to continue after 99, such as prayer,firemaking and agility. But therer are other skills where 99 is beneficial, such as smithing, construction and summoning.

There are also some skill that you do HAVE to buy realisticly. Prayer, Farming and Construction. These 99's are respected by many people for the fact it costs money right?

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

what i was saying was basically ppl who buy 99 in a skill, and like miracleman said, they stop. thats just nooby cuz then all they want is a chance at a 99 cape an not actually wanting 99 in that skill. ive asked many, "why firemaking?" and ive gotten a few different responses, most of them "because its cheap and easy and fast". that rite there says they have no regard for what that skill actually means/does. i bet if u asked them, what would u wont instead for 99, theyd say like summoning or prayer or one of the more difficult skills.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

what i was saying was basically ppl who buy 99 in a skill, and like miracleman said, they stop. thats just nooby cuz then all they want is a chance at a 99 cape an not actually wanting 99 in that skill. ive asked many, "why firemaking?" and ive gotten a few different responses, most of them "because its cheap and easy and fast". that rite there says they have no regard for what that skill actually means/does. i bet if u asked them, what would u wont instead for 99, theyd say like summoning or prayer or one of the more difficult skills.

So in the other words you're saying that we should make skilling harder and avoid using the rewards of tme and efford we've been going for? With your logic I should probably work my backwindow off first to get money, then to get skills and just keep the money in my bank or invest on some relatively useless items.

I've personally gained 11+1 99 skills (11 rs2, one rsc) and will get 3 more within 1 month. Yea I bought my 99 farm, so what? Should I have kept collecting seeds for a year or 2 longer instead of spending 200m+ I had made? Should I have mined and banked every single ore on my way to 99 smithing? Maybe not, I'm satisfied with my 91 mining and wanted to get 99 smithing while staying somewhat sane and definately get it before I turn 45.

For me the most important thing on skilling is the combination of time and efford, not only efford. I see no point in fishing shrimps all the way to 99 cooking or fishing just because it's harder than buying sharks to 99 cooking and using shilo to 99 fishing. I personally don't give any more respect to an idiot (yes, in my eyes it's idiotism) to someone who makes things harder than they actually are. If you like wasting time and efford, be my guest. I rather do things in an efficent way, stay sane and actually get them instead of giving up.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

When I (if I) get 99 slayer, I am so gonna get 99 cooking. Just to wear it & get flamed by people, then silencing them by putting a black skull cape on.

I don't get how buyables are bad-I chinned 87-95 range and got 98-99 hp in the process.

If you really want 99 cooking or fletching, go ahead, I don't care.

Just because cooking and fletching are buyable skills people don't respect them. But they then go on to praise other buyable skills such as prayer, smithing, and herblore. You are being ignorant if you don't downgrade all buyable skills. I know everybody will flame me telling me how long it takes to make the money for prayer, but who really cares your still just throwing money at a skill for a cape.

And what is wrong with throwing money at a skill for the cape? Since the release of skill capes that has been the main goal of most people in rs. They want a skillcape, then they want a trimmed skillcape, then they want a respected skillcape.