RS: scientific vs. relaxed approach

nickeley102

I play Runesape for fun around... 80% of the time. :lol:

The other 20% I concentrate on achieving a 99 skill or some other goal using the "scientific" or "calculated" way.

Whenever I just want to chill, I AFK woodcut or go to the best minigame ever - Castle Wars. \'

Darkman_X_99.png

Darkman_X_99.png

99 WC - 12/20/08! =D

99 Defence - 6/19/09! 44,012 to reach it!

Aiming for 2000 Total Lvl!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play for fun, and I have to constantly remind people that RuneScape is just a game. (If you think it takes skill to play RuneScape, you've never played GunZ.)

Sometimes, if I'm going for a far goal (like 55 mining from 52 while powermining) I'll see how many I need to do and then estimate time. And then I'll do something else while achieving this goal, if it's slow enough.

I woodcut or fish when I'm busy irl, as they are 1-click harvesters, and I only have to look up to see if they're going well. When I want a bit of excitement, I go to Pest Control. I have full range void, and I don't fight with mage, but it holds my attention. If I need variation and am ready to pay full attention, I'll finish some boss fights in quests (I've needed to defeat Contact! and Family Crest for about a week). If I don't feel like playing too hard but want to pay attention, I'll hop to mining or hunter. I fletch or smith while reading tif. Lastly, there are the opporunity skills, like crafting or herblore - I cut gems when I get them, I make potions when I get herbs. I gained a crafting level from a single sapphire from a random event, which made my day.

In short, I play for fun, and tailor what skill I'm training to my mood/busy-ness.

First skill to 70...

zaybex.png

I'm one of the people who play a more relaxed game of Runescape. I switch around from skill to skill so that I can enjoy them all. I enjoy chatting with everyone around me, and usually am the first one to try and start a conversation. I agree that the slow and discovery learning is much more enjoyable for me, but everyone is different. I like to socialize on Runescape, and have fun with people, but there are those who don't, and so they might find the calculated route much more to their liking.

"To each his own." Opinions always differ,

Skiittles11

241216351433lk2.png

i take a scientific aproach when it comes to training the skills themselves id like to get things fast and i also think what would be most benificial and on my road to all 99s.

but.........................often not as super focused as i browse forums and chat alot while skilling cause that is fun for me i figure out how to embrace distractions without them killing my training speed.

so i really read guides on efficiency and do timed runs alot for skills to try to make a better exp/hr i try different things.

although im also inefficient when it comes to sticking to one thing so i try to make fun ways to go little by little in a skill but still stick to it :D

but if i reallly like a goal it becomes a skill i stick to each day like 91 runecraft with zmi or 99 agility.

StarViv.png

man, who the hell picks the "hot topics" for the week? this is a topic that has been discussed in so many ways, all you need to do is to search for those old topics and read them rather than start a new one.

even if the fact remains that most topics are remakes of older ones, at least choose one people are interested in.

the post about old-schoolers has over 400 posts. the one about buying skills is also very popular. a post i recently made received over 100 posts in less than half a day.

and yet...

Calculated. I gather ideas from several friends, do some testing, then stick with whatever works best. Usually its whatever gets me more xp per gp I spend. Or if I'm makin money, how much I need to start with to get profit.

There is no way to make "Millions fast and easy"...

SO QUIT ASKING ABOUT IT!

I would say that i take a scientific approach when I train my levels up. I am always reading guides while I train so I can further develop my knowledge of the game. At the moment I am at edgy smithing gold bars, I chose this because I enjoy the smithing skill however I do not have the time these days with uni and being 18 to be training it at a snails pace.

That said, even though i take a very mathematical, calulated approach to how i play I still very much enjoy myself. While I smith I listen to my music, talk to friends in clan chat, talk to mates on msn, go on facebook when I do all these things it is a very relaxing time, and thats what counts.

When I first started runescape all those years ago in classic, it was very diferent, my knowledge of the game was far less, I would make money by picking bannanas at Karamja for the 30gp. Since then we have seen the game community develop, and now with all these guides, databases and calculators we can find the exact amount and how long it will take and cost to reach a goal. Its not about scientific vs. relaxed, its about its about are you a person that reads up on how to do things the best way or if your are person that does not have the information/knowledge at hand.

Very few (yes their are exceptions) high level players log on and just say "hmm, I think im going to pick some bannanas today", they know the best ways to get xp and items/gp for their time due to sites such as tip.it \'

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

Very few (yes their are exceptions) high level players log on and just say "hmm, I think im going to pick some bannanas today", they know the best ways to get xp and items/gp for their time due to sites such as tip.it \'

thanks for the free bump!

I definately find virtues in both approaches though

P.S mofw ftw!

NICKELEY102.png

Pretty much scientific. Runescape is boring, no matter how relaxed I try. Scientific + chatting with friends = ftw.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

As a powergamer, i hate the thought that I'm doing something slowly. I'll usually power most skills rather than make money with them, with the logic being that the time saved is time that i could be making better money on something else, or at least skilling something different. I know this sounds like a chore to most people, but i love playing this way, I have allot of fun setting my goals and achieving them. Some things i will do for fun, like cut willows rather than power through teaks, but for most things I'm borderline obsessive with efficiency.

I almost always just do my own thing. When I start getting bored of one skill, I hop to another :P . I only do the "scientific" method when I'm leveling a skill for a quest. Otherwise, I do everything my way :mrgreen:

5c96fbd7db.png

java2009021518224462vn5.png

PROUD Owner of Quest cape since 12/25/08 99 Attack Achieved 6/5/09

Drops: Dragon Boots x5, Dragon Chainbody x1 (Dusties) Abyssal Whip x3, Abyssal Head x1

Best single TT Reward: Saradomin Platebody + Zammy Page 3

i take both really, i calculate how many routes i can take to a goal, then deicde upon wichever depending upon speed, loss or gain of money and how much I would enjoy a particular route, atm im getting 66 crafting from 5944 bowstrings and making 600k rather than buying 2040 green d hides and making 680 bodies and losing 1m+

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Most of the time, I just log in and walk around. Then I see something I want to do and either do it or work on stuff to do it. I just do what I want, when I want, unless I am in the mood for a quest/ doing a quest

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

I allmost allways do the "smart" way.

I kill those monsters that gives me the most money, or exp, or money compared to exp.

I usually just go around calculating the best ways to gain much and fast exp or money.

I think it's fun, i don't look much for tips on how to do things fast and good, i just find the best (money and exp gaining) ways my self.

Playing games and at the same time finding effecient ways to gain what you want to gain in a game, like money and exp is very fun to me.

Tho i don't make much money, i wanna try it all and i wanna do it now, so when i get lotsa money i go to GE buy something really expensive usually for the highest price, i want it fast, try it on, if i don't like it i sell it for the lowest.

I always calculate exactly how much xp it is, how many logs I need to cut, iron left to smelt, etc. but I usually do it in the most inefficient way possible, just because, that way is always the funnest way (barbarian fishing for str and agility, ftw!!! \' \' \' )

Contrary to Popular Belief, 2 plus 2 does NOT equal 6 1/2

dwarf_lord30.png

-Dwarf Lord30

I agree with Muggi (page 1) in that I take the most efficient route to goal. I like to call it smart training which optimises the precious amount of time I can get on line.

TBH it pays to be efficient especially when i want to train a skill and keep the quest cape. I can then get on with the quest and get back to making MONEY. :thumbsup:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

I play in a very relaxed way. I do whatever I feel like doing at the moment, but I have a somewhat short attention span, and usually move from one thing to the next. Sometimes, I don't even train skills or make money, I just hang around and goof off with friends. Because of this, my skills aren't as high as people who have been playing as long as I have, but I feel I've had more fun than most. I mean, if you're not having fun playing runescape, what's the whole point of playing in the first place?

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

I lean towards scientific, or trying to be efficient.

I like doing the calculations for various options of training. I may not always pick the fastest one, but it's nice to know the options.

Knowing all the options and the results of those choices is always a big plus for me.

I do both; but usually when I calculate it I don't always do the most efficient. For instance, when I wanted 60 attack, I decided to save 500 big bones to ecto so I would get 43 prayer, even though I could clearly afford other kinds of bones. I also made Imp Statues until 35 Construction. So basically I mainly calculate to know the amount, not the most efficient way.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

Well, I actually do a little bit of both. So If I need some lvl requirements for a quest of some sort, I would use Tip its useful caculators to estimate a time needed for those. On the other hand, I would go K.Q or GWD with my friends, to have fun while maybe having cool drops.

noobxpoons.png

Noobxpoons.png