"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

That's all to much pursuing, muggi--the net should be trying to go under/over/around you.

• Like 1

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

What if your girlfriend is an only child and you dislike her over-worrying parents?

Elope. :wink:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Be more specific. What do you dislike about them?

In general, I just have hard time with their way of life really, which is quite different from me and my family's way of life.

• They are overprotective. I had her mum call me once around 1 am because she didn't answer her phone, which is ridiculous IMO. They basically phone her everyday.
  • There is a lot of pressure on her to achieve well. The bad thing is she is now putting this pressure on herself. Example: The atmosphere at her graduation was like a funeral, just because she didn't graduate with honors... (while in reality, she should have been glad she managed to finish her thesis in time, seeing how behind she was at one point). Not only were her parents unhappy, she's also this "indoctrinated" that she genuinely felt bad for disappointing her parents (even though she's doing one of the hardest studies around here and she should be proud she managed to finish them "on schedule").
  • Her parents don't seem to enjoy life, they nearly never go on holidays and always seem stressed about things, and they work too much (even though her dad is already on his pension). They never have friends come over (I wonder if they even have friends...).
  • Their house is a junk yard. Her dad collects books and her mum antique stuff, and their house is literally so filled with it (I'm talking about a room filled with stacks of books and old furniture) that they are not inviting anyone there. We have been together for 2 years now and I have never been allowed to enter the house because they are ashamed of how dirty it is (yet they don't do anything about it).
  • Her mum is kind of paranoid about thieves/criminals. Apparently she was once weaving around with a gun (even shooting once in the air) when there were strangers in their yard (NOT normal in Europe).

I realise this all doesn't really matter since I'm dating her (which is going very well), and not her parents, but she is an only child so her parents are very involved with her and she with them (she doesn't mind all the stuff I mentioned, she is very attached to her parents). Also, when they get old, she will be the only one to take care of them.

The overprotective behaviour is an issue between her and her parents. Although it's frustrating for you to see, and you think it's stunting her own independence, she needs to realise that for herself and tell her parents when they're being too zealous. I wouldn't worry about that specifically, if I were you; I'd instead focus on comforting her when it starts to affect her mood.

Apart from that... they clearly want her to be successful and do well for herself. How is that any different to what you want for your girlfriend?

Ging got that one good.

@bedman realize that it's her parents, not yours. They may piss you off, but at least you didn't have to live with them for X years. Just be there for your girlfriend when they get her down, and try to get her away from the situation. I dunno your age range, but moving her out sounds like a good idea. And if you've been together for 2 years, you may even want to consider moving in together (maybe). Generally there's not much you can do about how crazy you girl's parents are, but you can change how you handle the situations regarding the insanity.

On the other hand, I've been known to whip out my psych major card on my friend's parents whilst drunk and berate them for screwing up their kids so bad. Hilariously has happened more than once. It actually turned out alright in my case, but I can't say I'd say it's a good idea to confront her parents while drunk haha

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Challenge her dad to a Yu-Gi-Oh! duel.

• Like 2

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

We're not being very helpful, sorry bedman :lol:

• Like 2

Hehe it's okay :-)

@ RPGamer: the thing is that it's not driving her down, just me. She is used to it and is kind of "indoctrinated" by it.

Right now it's not much of a problem, since she is studying in another country. It's just that whenever I see or hear about her parents, I get annoyed. Since she is an only child they'll always be very involved or in the proximity, and that's what scares me :(

Lovin' these yu-gi-oh references haha

@bedman I think the best advice is to learn how to deal with it, and avoid them whenever possible. If she can get used to it, so can you.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Ging got that one good.

@bedman realize that it's her parents, not yours. They may piss you off, but at least you didn't have to live with them for X years. Just be there for your girlfriend when they get her down, and try to get her away from the situation. I dunno your age range, but moving her out sounds like a good idea. And if you've been together for 2 years, you may even want to consider moving in together (maybe). Generally there's not much you can do about how crazy you girl's parents are, but you can change how you handle the situations regarding the insanity.

On the other hand, I've been known to whip out my psych major card on my friend's parents whilst drunk and berate them for screwing up their kids so bad. Hilariously has happened more than once. It actually turned out alright in my case, but I can't say I'd say it's a good idea to confront her parents while drunk haha

...Y-you? Psych major? Pulling the psyche major card? You have a psyche major?

I literally went back to make sure that you were the person I was thinking about, aka the person with the crazy ex who seems to keep dating crazy girls knowing it will end badly and doing it anyways...

You, the person who went out with a chick knowing it would probably end horribly but doing it anyways because it was fun at the time? YOU have a psyche major and berate others?

I'm shocked and stunned. I'm not calling you a hypocrite, but dear GOD that's inconsistent.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

^Thinking of getting a bachelor's after I finish my Ph. D. in economics.

• Like 1