Tip.It Times Presents: Perspective

Rcty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one. Time is definetly the biggest of all factors, and during my first few years of playing players could not be labelled by their level because the update for levels appearing next to ones name hadn't occured yet. Something I feel was incredibly nice for those who couldn't put as much time into the game as others, and were therefore judged on the WAY they played and talked, not their level or total level. These days players can be sidelined and ignored due to their level, something I also feel just isn't right.

Nice read :)

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Woot! New Times!

Good read. I am in a similar position to the author: I'm not sure exactly when I started playing, but I haven't seen the friend who got me playing since 2003, so I must have started early 2003 or before. Yet until a year or 2 ago when I got members, I was still around lvl 45. People always assumed that I had just started, when I had in fact been playing for years. Thats why I would like to see an option to view when you signed up.

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif

You cannot tell what someone is like from over the Internet. The level, stats, and money you may have does not reflect who you are. Also, Deathmath states a very true point : To succeed at RuneScape, you have to have a massive surplus of free time.

mememe513.png

its not about the levels, its about getting them.

I like this.

I met a kid who'd been playing since the Very early days of RS (2001 or 2002, whatever. WAAAAYYYY before me.) He was attending a friend's 99 cape party, and having a ball, dancing around, jumping up and down, chatting, enjoying himself, happy for his friend. Then suddenly a sobering thought occurred to him. "I'm sad. All of my friends from those days have 99s. I don't have ANYTHING to show for my time in RS!"

So I asked him: "Did you have fun during all that time?"

He said yes.

I said, "That's really all that matters, isn't it?"

He thought it over, and then was happy to agree that it was.

Fun is the only thing I want to get from this game. Running a virtual treadmill is meaningless, lol. It's the enjoyment, the friends we make, what we do and how we treat others that is really important.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

The man is right, "It was at this point I decided that its not about the levels, its about getting them." I have a hard time with my time too. This was the best Tip.it Times for I've read for awhile, good job Deathmath.

I feel that I'm in the same overall situation. I've been playing for a while now, I believe about 2 to 3 years. Athough I've been playing a while, my levels and stats are decent, but not great. Mostly, instead of playing runescape all day, and leveling a stat for hours on end, i play in more moderate doses, and spend a lot of my time goofing off with some of my rl friends. In a lot of places i'm considered noobish, but I've been playing for a while now, and know a lot about Runescape. Overall, a good read. :thumbsup:

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

I was told off by another player for being a relatively high combat level but not having any skills at 99 - apparently I should be ashamed to be still wearing an obby cape! I'll be really proud to get my first skillcape, but I'm not in the least bit ashamed to not have one already.

The noob namecalling will always happen as long as there are players around whose social skills haven't yet developed sufficiently. I ignore them, and switch worlds if I'm bothered.

Excellent article. I've been playing for about 7 years (on and off) and am only level 66 and about 800 total level. I also recently started a skill pure (of course, level 3 but with a much more experienced player behind the character).

To succeed at RuneScape, you have to have a massive surplus of free time.

Define "succeed at Runescape." I think it should really be changed into "succeed in your opinion at Runescape." I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have succeeded in their own opinion, but not in other's. I'm sure you've all seen or witnessed examples of that. "Playing Runescape isn't about being at the top level, but about being at your top level", whether that is completing a quest, getting a skillcape, having a certain item, or meeting a level in a skill, killing a monster(or a certain amount of them), or whatever you so choose. Isn't that the whole point of Runescape, to do whatever you want? Just have fun! I very much agree with what Pokemama said.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

I agree. I prefer this from the RSOF for this reason; a good civilized debate. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

The article to me sounds like how other players have standards on how your stats/items should be if you've been playing for awhile, I still don't have a 99 and haven't finished recipe for disaster (use combat bracelet) and I get mocked for it a LOT!

Good read all in all.

This article actually got me to register here. I've read Tip.it for a long time and played Runescape for 5 or 6 years. I do not have any skills at 99. I used to play with friends, until the recent changes. Most of the ones I played with quit then. I have had members all but a few months of the time I've been playing.

I agree with this article. Not everyone who is a lower level is a new player. There are many of us who play when we have time; and not enough hours to get the 99 levels. My highest level is 80 something (too lazy to log in and look right now.)

You definitely can't judge a player by their levels.

It is Doable

Nice article. A little short, though, I would have wanted to read a little more about this topic. Don't ever assume anything. My stats are the worst, and does that mean I'm a newb??? No. I've been playing for a looooong time (since way before RS2 came out), and I still have some skills under 10! I spent almost three years on the Crew here at Tip.It, and that cut into my playing time. Add to that my job, my child, my house, you get the picture.

So don't ever assume that someone with crappy stats is a newb. It's the WAY THEY ACT that gives it away.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

i agree and disagree like my sister started a bit b4 me and is level 68 with 900 total she rarely plays but when she plays she constantly swiches what shes doing.

i play alot but when i play i work on a skillgoal 85% of the time im on.

people that have low skills for the time that they played its usually not just the time that they played in years but when they are on they are usually not doing a goal if they were doing a goal then they would ALL be 120+ and 1800+ total decent but not compared to 138/2376.

its mostly how much time you have but also how you use your time in rs.

StarViv.png

I so agree.

My main is only 30, but with 55 mining, 34 smithing, etc. (I am training gathering skills at the moment.)

But I've been playing for about three years, and I've basically read the whole knowledge base. I like to think that I know a lot about Runescape; I'm F2P and I know how to get to the dagganoth kings and how each one attacks, and I know how to barrow.

Recently, upon the addition of quickchat, no one ever speaks unless they need to. (such as at the GE, telling someone to "get off my rock noob", and the like) So I've been called a noob only about 50-100 times since I started my account.

Like SO many people have said, it's the way someone acts that makes them a noob.

I agree with the author. I have more time than he does, and I haven't played as long, but I am still rather low-leveled in comparison to most others playing for 3 years (my cb level just recently hit 88). I rarely judge people off their combat level, simply because I know combat isn't everything (for quite some time I was a skiller, having a combat level in the 50's and other skills in the high 60's). I do make some assumptions, simply because it's impossible not to, but I don't treat lower-levels as an inferior race or act like the higher-levels all cheated to get what they have. I treat everyone as a decent human being, regardless of level, and I wish more people would do the same.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Woot! another excellent article...

I knew I was right endorsing him as well as accepting him into my clan :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I agree with the author. I have more time than he does, and I haven't played as long, but I am still rather low-leveled in comparison to most others playing for 3 years (my cb level just recently hit 88). I rarely judge people off their combat level, simply because I know combat isn't everything (for quite some time I was a skiller, having a combat level in the 50's and other skills in the high 60's). I do make some assumptions, simply because it's impossible not to, but I don't treat lower-levels as an inferior race or act like the higher-levels all cheated to get what they have. I treat everyone as a decent human being, regardless of level, and I wish more people would do the same.

=D>

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Nice article.

Part of the problem is that many people criticise others for focusing on different parts of the game. Hence the label "skiller noob", someone who isn't so interested in combat and just likes levelling up their stats. It's almost like they think there's a "proper" way to play RuneScape, and anyone who's not doing it must be some kind of fool.

I wonder if it's related to the way sporty kids will often pick on geeks for not being interested in sport?

good read :thumbsup:

Just confirms what I already know, never judge a book by it's cover

or in this case a 'scaper by there combat level ::'

After all I met many level 100+s with the maturity of a primary school kid, and some level 10s with maturity of an adult, who I later found out had young kids and busy with family so not on much and skilled when online (50+ cook/wc)

anyway back on topic, well thought out and written article :D

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

Nice article.

Part of the problem is that many people criticise others for focusing on different parts of the game. Hence the label "skiller noob", someone who isn't so interested in combat and just likes levelling up their stats. It's almost like they think there's a "proper" way to play RuneScape, and anyone who's not doing it must be some kind of fool.

I wonder if it's related to the way sporty kids will often pick on geeks for not being interested in sport?

=D> this is my favorite response. Especially that last sentence \'