Parental Control

SirDavidm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it said that one of the features would be giving the parents control over their children's friend's list although this seems kinda foolish. how would you like to have to convince your parents that the person is not a predator every time you want to go with a team to fight somthing.

billybobj282.gif

Well if you think about it, there will probably only be like three kind of parents..

1. The parent who doesn't know/care about what their kids do online. (No parental control)

2. The parent who is cool and plays the game also, or is more computer savvy then most. (No parental control)

3. The parent who pays attention to what their kid does because they are too protective on stuff like that. (Parental control)

I think most will fit into category one, the remainder will be mainly the second option, and maybe a few on the third.

Luckily I'm in the first category...

Dr_Brinner.png

Oh, so there's going to be Parental Control now? I doubt kids that used to claim they were 13+ when creating new accounts will hesitate to mark their age as 18+ now.

If kids are spending too much time on the game it's the parents' fault to have allowed that to happen in the first place. Parental Control necessity indicates that the parents aren't around to supervise their kids. Your child is doing something they aren't supposed to be doing, where are you?

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

First of all, good find SirDavidm. :thumbsup: It doesn't seem like the Parental Control feature will have any effect on anyone above age 13. Parental Control will most likely prove to make the parents feel safer (As Quick Chat did) when their children are playing Runescape, and may even come with the bonus of boosting their registration numbers another 40%. That sounds good to me, as long as my game play isn't affected. :XD: Hopefully, I am right about Parental Control affecting only those under age 13.

If so, good luck all of those below the age of 13,

Skiittles11

241216351433lk2.png

Did anybody else notice the 'chat controls' it mentions? Possibly, at one point, 'parents' will be able to remove/lessen chat restrictions if they see fit?

Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up.

lalalasig2.png

Well if you think about it, there will probably only be like three kind of parents..

1. The parent who doesn't know/care about what their kids do online. (No parental control)

2. The parent who is cool and plays the game also, or is more computer savvy then most. (No parental control)

3. The parent who pays attention to what their kid does because they are too protective on stuff like that. (Parental control)

I think most will fit into category one, the remainder will be mainly the second option, and maybe a few on the third.

Luckily I'm in the first category...

I'm unfortunatly number 3. My dad banned me from playing it, on the basis of a bad grade I got. I doubt my parents would have used them though, they didnt really care what I did in game.

I think it is good for the -13 population, but anyone else it is just going to get in the way.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

As an adult the parental control do not affect me.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I don't know if this is known but there will be parental controls added to Runescape to control how long their kids can play and some other little things. Supposedly revealed at E3, here's the article.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/37/feature/2065

was little more than a 2-D interface for a MUD (Multi-User Dungeons) game. Remember those text based MUD games?

your actions in game can tilt the scale towards any of them.

because content is added every two weeks.

There are a total of 21 skills

A good example is Cold Wars which yields armor of the Penguins

Since the launch of the under 13 game, Jagex has seen a 40% increase in Runescape registrations.

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, armour of penguins?, influx of children, and junior MMORPG? Runescape's skill system is more indepth than 90% of the mainstream MMO's on the market, just the combat is less exciting.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

How is it going to get in the way of +13 players? Don't put it on lol.

And you can't say with Parental Controls RS is getting kiddier. World of Warcraft has Parental Control and I'm sure no one calls that game a kid's game. :lol:

Although I am disapointed with Jagex...they're making a bunch of kid's safety updates: parental controls and now this limited chat feautre? Get back to the quests and skills lol. \'

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

"In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval."

sorry but that is just wrong, you decide yourself what kind of friends you have, if i decide to play with a 65 year old grandma, do i care?

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

I wouldn't trust the article. There's already the 6 hour limit in place. I'm going to wait until JaGEx posts this on the front page.

Then you will have to wait till quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, and I don't understand what 6 hour limit are you talking about, I play rs every day more then 6 hours.

Palas1.png

I think it's a good idea, protecting the young, having no effect on the older people, so it's win-win really. Also, Jagex get more subscriptions, so more money, so more and better updates for all \' !

~Boo

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Before QuickChat being mandatory for accounts registered to under 13's I would welcome parental control. Now I don't see any point. Under 13's don't have freedom of speech anymore, or allowed to be near anyone else who has freedom of speech. So therefore any conversations they can have our already limited, so why add parental control. To stop them adding people who like them can only say select words?? To me it just seems a bit pointless and I think Jagex's time could be better spent.

Im amazed it takes till Q 2 or 3 of 2009 for them to 'possibly' implement it. Did they just put that on the drawing board that morning. =S

If I was a kid I would just create a new account.. use my own card to pay for members. Solved. Most banks give out cards to children I think. Easilly ask someone who does have one either way to pay for me and give them the cash.

Dont young people have imaginations.. I could get most things I wanted at whatever age. Parents are just something you bypass altogether...