Today...

Leoo

I had a lot of online friends during my Runescape days. That's what I miss. I'd spend hours just hanging out and talking.

I don't have much in common with my real life friends anymore.

This.

Although im getting much better about the real life friend part.

Today I went to see Alesana, but the venue was all the way up in [bleep]ing Stanhope. Turns out the venue was this tiny nothing of a bar in bumble [bleep] nowhereVille. It was amazing. Dennis and I locked eyes and sang to each other, I had a beer with the lead singer of Farewell My Love; who was hitting on my gay friend. Great night. LONG drive. Also it seems a huge chunk of south jersey caught fire while I was up by new Brunswick. I could smell it from Douglass @ Rutgers. Must have been big.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Or rather, my TIF friends didn't turn into complete jackasses overnight.

They started as jackasses. You already knew what you were getting yourself into.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I think it seems unhealthy to get along better with people on the internet than in real life >_>

That isn't necessarily true. Usually when you make friends on the internet, it is through an activity that you both have in common. (RuneScape in this Tip.It instance I suppose) Sure, it works the same way in real life, but if you live someplace where there are only 20 people that share your hobby as opposed to 200 that you met on a website. The pool is much larger to meet people that you like. I also depends on how social you are among many other things.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Oh. I guess I just comprehended what you said wrong. I completely agree with what you just said though.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

I'm saying that interacting with someone online can't fulfill one's social needs as well as interacting with someone in real life.

In terms of physical intimacy? No, of course you're right there. What if my physical needs are being met, though, and what I'm looking for is a person to share an interest with, because none of my real life friends are into the same stuff I am, or they're too busy with life? More likely to find them on the Internet because they're only a Google search away.

What if I'm a 40-something divorcee who hasn't dated in decades and, understandably, doesn't feel confident about their chances playing the game any more?

There are things you can only get from physical friendships and relationships, and they're very important. But there are certain advantages to socializing online as well.

Seems. Though in this digital age its fairly normal.

I'm saying that interacting with someone online can't fulfill one's social needs as well as interacting with someone in real life.

In terms of physical intimacy? No, of course you're right there. What if my physical needs are being met, though, and what I'm looking for is a person to share an interest with, because none of my real life friends are into the same stuff I am, or they're too busy with life? More likely to find them on the Internet because they're only a Google search away.

What if I'm a 40-something divorcee who hasn't dated in decades and, understandably, doesn't feel confident about their chances playing the game any more?

There are things you can only get from physical friendships and relationships, and they're very important. But there are certain advantages to socializing online as well.

I don't think shared interests are important for meaningful friendships/relationships but maybe I'm just an outlier. I'm a pretty hardcore introvert so I generally prefer pursuing my interests in solitude. :P

The other day I actually found some old RS pics of me from my favorite era of RS (2005-2006). Spending hours at CWs or DKs or PKing with all my close RS friends brought back good memories. And that was at a time where I felt closer to my RS friends than my RL friends.

But despite the nostalgia, I definitely was happier with my RL friendships after starting college and making new friends there, even though none of them played RS. After making friends in college I remember thinking about how long it had been since I'd had such close friendships with people. That's not to say that I wasn't close to my RS friends, because I was about as close to them as possible... online friendships/relationships just have added restrictions and limits which RL relationships do not suffer from.

But even then, like I said, I don't consider interests to be important for friendships. I think the key to strong friendships is simply mutual understanding and appreciation/acceptance for each other, regardless of how similar or dissimilar you are. None of my friends in college played RS; many of them weren't even gamers. Hell, my roommate whom I lived with for 3 years has nothing in common with me. We became close friends simply through proximity and a mutual appreciation/understanding for each other. Despite not having anything in common, we can still go grab a beer together or talk on the phone for hours on end.

But yeah, back to my original point, I'd argue that having closer friends online than RL means you need to go meet more people in RL because otherwise you're not optimally fulfilling your basic needs. If your closest friends are online and not in RL, I don't think it's necessarily because of a difference in interests; it's because you've yet to meet people with whom you really feel connected to.

Out of curiosity, though-- to those of you who feel closer to your online friends than your RL friends: are you reluctant to "open up" to people in RL? Are there things you hide from them because you're afraid of how they'll react? The reason why I ask is because when I started embracing my inner-nerd (among other things) instead of hiding it, my RL friendships immediately surpassed my online ones.

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

I wouldn't suggest I'm closer to people online than in RL so I can't answer that.

I tend to express a lot of myself through body language and actions, and while large parties are a total nightmare scenario for me, I'm more than comfortable "opening up" in a room with a small group of friends I trust. To be honest, opening up is a good thing, because what people tell me about myself is often something I can't see by myself.

I connect very easily with people in real life when the topic of conversation is focused around feelings, interests or expectations. Maybe those topics are easier online where anonymity makes trusting strangers not so much of an issue. When people talk about how wasted so-and-so was at the club two nights ago, it bores me to tears. Dunno, living as a student... those stories strike me as ten a penny and they make my BS tracker go crazy.

I like talking about drunk stories... for many people (including myself sometimes), those are some of the most exciting/adventurous stories of their lives :P

Agreed, but a lot of people think "this one time I was at a hours party and drank 15 beers" is a story. No. That's the beginning of a story. But a lot of people think the drinking is the interesting part when telling the tale. The true fun lies within the hi jinx of being that drunk. Like stealing a street sign. Or break into a church. Or jumping in a bon fire.

• Like 2

I've always found it easier to talk online (social awkwardness etc). Though at something like RuneFest, I had no issues interacting with people, made a lot of new friends there, and met some old ones too. I guess it's more me knowing that I share interests with people. I play 'Scape because I have some good friends, generally spend the whole time I'm online in a teamspeak with 5-10 others.

On a more thread-relevant note: Today I had about 3 hours sleep, now time to catch up. :thumbup:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Yay for 3DS not actually loading the page after I click post.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

What would the view be on someone who has RL friends, but then spends most of interaction time online playing games?

That's how all my interactions are with one of my college friends since we live in different cities now but we play LoL together via Skype. We text regularly when we're not on Skype since we're like BFFs and shit.

77yLQy8.png

I get along fine with people in real life. I just find that I share interests/have more in common with those people I interact with over the internet. I like staying in, playing video games, watching movies/youtube videos; my friends prefer getting smashed every weekend and most week nights.

In other news, it's 2:30am and I just finished up a late night coding session with my partner for this group project. We are writing a lexer for this mini language our prof outlined for us. 7 hours ago it looked like were weren't going to be able to turn anything in. But we managed to attack the problem step by step and put something together that works great aside from one minor detail. So I'm happy. It would've been a drag to spend 7 hours working on something that doesn't work.

EDIT: just realized i was responding to a message on the previous page. oh well

• Like 1

pMcEU.png

| My Tumblr |

Is it? Last I checked it was a pop up of Chao from Hangover (but I think its a community reference) saying "hah gaaaaay"