Today...

Leoo

I think the one thing we can agree on here is that a batchellors degree in psychology or political science is a good way to throw away 30k and still end up in a sales job

I think one other thing we can all agree on is that you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the educational choices of others when you spell "bachelor's" as "batchellors." 

That's kinda funny.

Anyway, i think the same can be said for many other degrees and positions. I have a few friends who spent ~$100k on pilot's licenses and they flip burgers at Mc Donalds at the moment. My Uncle actually has a degree in Clinical Psychology and he works as some sort of Consultant the Municipality. My other uncle has some degree in... i'm not sure but something to do with Politics as well as some kind of Strategic Military something (i never really cared enough to find out exactly) and he has his own IT business. A girl that lives with us has a degree in HR Management but works as an Events Manager. The two maybe ties in somehow, but not really.

These are 4 examples of people doing something completely different than what they spent years studying for in today's life and in the "good old days". I'm sure if i went around asking a few other people what they studied for, and what they actually do i could easily find plenty more examples. 

I think this actually just goes to show that in today's world it's not about what you know anymore. It's all about who you know. My sister was head of the Legal Department at an Architecture company and she never even finished her first year of Law School. Heck, when i was 19 i was offered a job as an English Tutor for around $3k a month and my English is probably just on par in terms of American/British standards (although that makes it way above par for Middle Eastern Standards). But still, i got a C for english in High school and this institute was still more than willing to employ me.

With this in mind you might as well say getting any sort of degree is a waste of x-amount of money. 

I think the one thing we can agree on here is that a batchellors degree in psychology or political science is a good way to throw away 30k and still end up in a sales job

:(

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

It's not all about money. A better paid job won't necessarily make it a better job or give you a better life.

So long as you have a decent wage, and in the US a quick Google search tells me the median income is only around 40k across all age groups, you're perfectly fine.

Basically I'm saying I don't see the difference happiness-wise between a $40k job and a $60k job. Especially if the extra money comes with extra stress.

Man, this topic about college depresses me. I've done more work than an equivalent college load since I graduated high school, but because of variables out of my control I was unable to attend college immediately, and similarly, am still unable to attend college. Every day I don't attend makes it harder and harder.

And so here I am. A boatload of practical experience in computer science above that of a college graduate, but unable to make use of it. I've tried getting many jobs even remotely related computer science, failed each and every time. It's not like I don't have experience to show for it! Heck, the people I've shown my work to were impressed. Two of these tried to get me a job in their respective companies, but meh. I just don't know what so undesirable about me?

In any case, I'm currently trying to read the RAM of a certain current generation games console... But WebKit takes FOREVER TO COMPILE. And I still need to find the exploit vector for said console in WebKit (I'm getting very close, though!).

ozXHe7P.png

Dang dude, calling someone out for misspelling a word that they probably rarely type out.... Heck, it could have even been just holding the L button too long or their phone touch screen registering one too many times..... 

#rekt #destroyed #noexcuses

Yeah I was just being a dick. Anyways....

yeah you can do stuff with a psychology degree (although I'm somewhat biased speaking as a psych major myself), although you generally get a LOT more out of it if you do graduate work, even just getting a master's. A lot of people going into psych tend not to find very good jobs though since they just go into the field because they think it's interesting and don't really care to specialize in anything.

I am studying a pretty practical subject.

Geology.

Can say that if I graduate I am pretty much guaranteed a job if not in a better place then at least in some government position. Geologists are in dire need around here.

Heck, should be in dire need anywhere, people always will need raw materials from the ground.

I also speak pretty fluent Norwegian and have made it my goal to get my Master's there. They know a thing or two about this oil and gas thing ;)

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Geology.

Can say that if I graduate I am pretty much guaranteed a job if not in a better place then at least in some government position. Geologists are in dire need around here.

Heck, should be in dire need anywhere, people always will need raw materials from the ground.

I also speak pretty fluent Norwegian and have made it my goal to get my Master's there. They know a thing or two about this oil and gas thing ;)

My sister is a geology major too

It's not all about money. A better paid job won't necessarily make it a better job or give you a better life.

So long as you have a decent wage, and in the US a quick Google search tells me the median income is only around 40k across all age groups, you're perfectly fine.

Basically I'm saying I don't see the difference happiness-wise between a $40k job and a $60k job. Especially if the extra money comes with extra stress.

Statistically speaking, happiness is correlated with income until around $75k/yr. Beyond $75k/yr, having more money won't make you much happier. Though that $75k/yr figure is based off a sample of people who are married with kids, so if you're single then it'd probably be closer to $30-40k/yr.

77yLQy8.png

Geology.

f8c0f3bb2f6eb656147831ce6fcad6b75e86fa35

• Like 2

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Welp I failed to complete a 30% Essay in a double credit course. I'll probably still manage to pass, but my GPA is going to be [bleep]ed and I need a 3 to get into the faculty of science. Might drop out and get a programming degree from a trade school instead. Wish there was a way to just wipe my GPA and start over. It'd be a waste of 3 grand but at least I'd get a second chance at not [bleep]ing up

In other news, headed out to the bar tonight to blow my paycheque and drown my sorrows.

Geology.

My roommate is a geology major..... We make fun of him for it.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Geology.

My roommate is a geology major..... We make fun of him for it.

My brother is a geology major. I should start making fun of him for it.

• Like 1

Statistically speaking, happiness is correlated with income until around $75k/yr. Beyond $75k/yr, having more money won't make you much happier. Though that $75k/yr figure is based off a sample of people who are married with kids, so if you're single then it'd probably be closer to $30-40k/yr.

I'm single and I make between the amounts you named  there (30k to 40k), and it's not enough. Single and living alone, the expenses are high enough for me to struggle to have enough money for food. Of course that's counting my new car (from last year) that still costs less per month than what a used car would've cost me, and the money I have to put on my student loan every month as well ($300/month).

With these amounts and being in a couple, just splitting the rent would make me happy as I'd have a little bit of money at the end of the month.

I'm a poly sci major. Come at me bro.

I'm not bashing, I honestly wish you the best, it's just I know that statistically people who are getting your degree will end up with a job they didn't need a degree for. And yeah once upon a time I too wanted a poly sci degree.

Ehh statistics are shit when it comes down to the individual person.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I'm a poly sci major. Come at me bro.

I'm not bashing, I honestly wish you the best, it's just I know that statistically people who are getting your degree will end up with a job they didn't need a degree for. And yeah once upon a time I too wanted a poly sci degree.
Ehh statistics are shit when it comes down to the individual person.

I'm a fan of that river in Africa as well.

Big problem with the STEM master race is their superiority complex over every liberal arts major or anything else they deem easy/not worth the college time. It's very frustrating to hear, at least partly because I used to espouse that crap until I realized that people need to do things based on what they want to do, not solely based on money.

• Like 2

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Sure you can practically do calculus in your head...but can you tell me how people feel?

#psychmajormasterrace

#withphilosophy&religionminor

#cantevenhandlealltheseimaginaryjoboffers

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

My brother is doing really well with his PolySci & Com major with a job in SF at an advertising agency. Actually having a PolySci major helped him in a lot of cases when he was looking for jobs because the person hiring usually was a PolySci major so it made him more easily relatable.

tFtfA.jpg

We should all just combine our efforts into a snazzy pyramid scheme and get rich as [bleep]

Geographic Information Science major here. I can make a map that shows us where the most suckers potential investments live so that we can best focus our efforts.

• Like 1
lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Why would you make fun of someone who is studying Geology?

We are the only ones that can give any kind of warning from impending volcanic eruptions or earthquakes or tsunamis.

And in other news, going swimming today. Water should be just above freezing, but sauna. Oh, that sauna and ice cold water.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Why would you make fun of someone who is studying Geology?

Because all they do is drink beer and collect rocks.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”