Today...

Leoo

I'm gutted I lost the respect of two of my friends for putting up with him for two years lol

Don't worry, they'll forgive you. At one point or another we've all been in a relationship that everyone but us knew was a train wreck. ;)

I forgot being single can be really refreshing when you were in a toxic relationship for so long

Right? Life is much better without a poisonous millstone around your neck. If only dating as an adult wasn't so damn ridiculous.  <_< Great, now I need a drink.  :lol:

Not intending a defense or attack on anyone (just to be clear), I think sometimes people just feel the need to disengage from a situation. That is, we all have problems, and sometimes we just find ourselves in a place where we can't take on other peoples problems in addition to our own, or we find ourselves in a position where people close to us have problems we just can't deal with.

I find that the reposes tend to manifest as either anger, or apathy, and I think how the reaction manifests tends to point at someone perceives the heart of the problem to be (apathetic people feel they aren't able to take on the burden, angry people feel like you are creating the burden).

I'll use a different example though, where I have more experience. Someone I am very close to has cancer, and has had cancer for many years now (not the whole time, and different kinds). The people they worked with, many of whom this person counted as friends, have by and large not been there for them at all. A lot of them I would say have gone the apathetic route. They'll still be polite and cheery if talked to, but they never reach out. Others have gone the anger route with anger, usually criticizing them for their choice of treatment options (they've done a lot of alternative stuff).

At the same time, at least as far as people at work go, it's been those that barely know this person who have been by far the most supportive.

And I feel like I've figured out what their friends have basically turned their back, and strangers have opened their arms. There has been a lot of cancer at the office, and it's claimed a fair few lives in recent years, so I think because this person wont follow the standard treatment protocol, their coworkers are frustrated. At the same time, the really helpful and also supportive people they've recently dealt with I think can afford to be that way, because they aren't really assuming a major burden, because they aren't friends, or acquaintances. At the end of the day, they aren't deeply invested in the final outcome.

That's the gist of how I see the situation anyway.

That said, even though I feel like you need care to get angry, I wouldn't continue to count those who get angry as friends. Anger is as much a way of creating emotional distance as apathy is, and if someone feels like you created the emotional burden they were being asked to carry, there is probably going to be resentment there. At the end of the day, I don't think there is anything you can do about that except try to build more friendships with the kind of people who can just be supportive, because those are the kinds of people you need around you when things aren't right.

Also, it seems we have decided to skip summer and fall, and go right back to winter, because it was freaking snowing yesterday, after several days of almost shorts and t-shirt weather.

One of the Friends had the right to be mad. My ex was rude about her regarding her sex life and he didn't even know her. I make clear that I never defended my ex for being a douche but dating him was symbolic. They thought I valued penis over friendship

One of the Friends had the right to be mad. My ex was rude about her regarding her sex life and he didn't even know her. I make clear that I never defended my ex for being a douche but dating him was symbolic. They thought I valued penis over friendship

Chicks before dicks

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Chicks before dicks

Hoes before bros.

Lining up at 6:30am to register my son for summer camp. Dag I'm tired. I am firmly convinced that humans were no meant to get up at 5am.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Lining up at 6:30am to register my son for summer camp. Dag I'm tired. I am firmly convinced that humans were no meant to get up at 5am.

Pretty exclusive camp if you need to line up at 6:30am!
  • Like 1

It's run by a local church so people pay via donations and if you can't afford the full amount you pay through fundraising. It's really good for low income families, which makes it really popular so you have to line up early to make sure you get in. I was told the people at the front of the line had been there since around 5.

I have a good job but am by no means wealthy and his mother doesn't work at all so this is our best chance to send him to camp. If that means getting up hella early on a Saturday then so be it.

• Like 1

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I need to pack my suitcase because I leave Canada in two days' time but it hasn't quite registered yet and I don't want to go  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

"Oops I missed my flight. Looks like I'm a Canadian citizen now"

-Maddy

• Like 4

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Best immigration plan ever! :lol:

Randomly remembered some TIF nostalgia. Anybody remember our collective effort on Drawball? Good times.

Yeah, I remember that. It kind of died once they set up drawball 2 since some pretty nice art on the original drawball kept getting defaced...

polvCwJ.gif

Game of Thrones: very good.

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time. Also McConaughey should play an evil Bill Nye, and Bill Nye should play a good Bill Nye, in some blockbuster movie thing. That would be neat.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Oh boy, you better get off the internet before it's too late

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time.

Not quite but almost?

And yes if you are trying to avoid Thrones spoilers you absolutely will need to get off the internet until you watch it. That's not hyperbole.

Wow, I went back to page 1000 after seeing that pic with Goon posting on it.

Holy nostalgia.

That was FIVE YEARS AGO. So many of us talking about our days, first name basis, knowing so much about each other back then. It was honestly amazing to re-read where our lives were. Such a different time. I'm glad I stopped in for my yearly hello; it made me realize how incredible this community (and particular topic on these forums) really is. It's truly been a treat to be a part of it, and to grow with each and every one of you. :<3:

Cheers, to all of you, lads. If and when the day comes that these forums end up closing, I will personally host a space where we can all keep in touch.

Been watching an episode of True Detective right before. Does anyone know if Rust has some cliche 180 from his nihilism & co to some Happily Ever After worldview? This is necessary information before I invest more time.

Not quite but almost?

And yes if you are trying to avoid Thrones spoilers you absolutely will need to get off the internet until you watch it. That's not hyperbole.

uh was it that big? okay, no imgur or reddit for me today....

polvCwJ.gif

I have literally never heard a game of thrones spoiler, despite all the stupid hype about spoilers. And like, yeah, I don't watch the show, so maybe they're flying over my head, but it seems like if these spoilers were so prevalent that I would have at least seen one over the course the six millennia that show has been running.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I have literally never heard a game of thrones spoiler, despite all the stupid hype about spoilers. And like, yeah, I don't watch the show, so maybe they're flying over my head, but it seems like if these spoilers were so prevalent that I would have at least seen one over the course the six millennia that show has been running.

That reminds me. I have no interest in Fallout, but when the Fallout 4 ending was leaked prior to the release, there were lots of warnings about it around various places. It was annoying. I purposely looked for the ending as a result, but I failed in this quest after a minute or two, so I just gave up.

I still don't know how Fallout 4 ends, and it bothers me slightly. Not enough to spend more time searching, though. I'm sure it would be easy enough to clarify, but the initial failure was too much. It's best if I never know, I think.

ozXHe7P.png

You can't even really call it a spoiler.

Everyone and their mother knew that he wasn't going to stay dead.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn't care about spoilers? Does knowing who lives or dies or what happened before you actually watch the show really ruin the experience that much for you all?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn't care about spoilers? Does knowing who lives or dies or what happened before you actually watch the show really ruin the experience that much for you all?

Although I completely understand not liking spoilers, I'm not bothered by them, in honesty. Knowing points in advance lets me focus on the other portions of the media, which is nice. Especially for things that are good, but not good enough for me (totally subjective!) to revisit later. After all, a strong work (film, text, whatever) exists independently of surprise.

The Force Awakens was an exception, but I saw it on the release day and was planning to rewatch it anyway.

ozXHe7P.png