Today...

Leoo

The Liberal Media coverage has been far worse. It seems the modern left would rather defend Islam than protect LGBT people.

And the modern right would rather attack Islam than accept that LGBT people exist in the same capacity as anyone else. It's more sanctimonious for the right to pretend to have even a shred of concern for the victims when they themselves were the biggest threat to them before today, and probably will be again tomorrow.

How on earth can you say conservatives are the biggest threat to LGBT peolpe when a islamic terrorist just gunned down 50 people at a gay bar and further attacks have been promised?

And that's certainly not the viewpoint of the younger, modern right. The Trump subreddit has an LGBT flag in its header right now and has been accepting and celebrating LGBT supporters for months.

• Like 1

How on earth can you say conservatives are the biggest threat to LGBT peolpe when a islamic terrorist just gunned down 50 people at a gay bar and further attacks have been promised?

Because I follow US politics. I know that it isn't necessarily the case elsewhere, but here it is.

Because I can very clearly see who's supporting legislation designed to strip us of our basic right to exist in public places here.

Because I've seen the statistics and murder rates and I really don't have the energy or willpower to dig them up tonight, but I've personally spoken to people younger than I am that supported the same and worse.

Because the guy who was arrested bringing an arsenal of guns to LA Pride was a young white guy.

Because the reason people are in the closet isn't rare chance of a Muslim terrorist, and it isn't a Muslim terrorist that's responsible every single time someone is murdered or pushed to suicide for existing out in the open.

If that's not representative of Trump's supporters on Reddit, good for them. I'll believe it when I see it. Especially when the shooter himself was apparently not motivated by religion whatsoever (and didn't even practice), according to his family.

/r/the_donald was so gross today. They've always been gross people who have openly been horrible towards GSMs, and only now do they show any (thinly veiled) support when it allows them to condemn Islam. It's just a bunch of bigoted [wagon] who hate Muslims more than they hate gays.

• Like 1

Today I played a ton of Diablo 3 and then realized... all the work I made in D3 will probably be completely wasted when the new expansion comes out. Quite depressing.

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

Had some Moosehead, Mad Tom's, Mill street 100th, Shot Put or sth like that.

Still, it sucks.

However, it is better than 'mudican pisswasser.

Still waiting for proposals to go out somewhere here. We are having loadsa fun being inappropriate.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Sounds like mostly microbrews that you tried. Although the one macro, Moosehead, is basically moose piss.

Sounds like mostly microbrews that you tried. Although the one macro, Moosehead, is basically moose piss.

Maybe it's Moose semen. The name would make sense then.

Because I follow US politics. I know that it isn't necessarily the case elsewhere, but here it is.

I was hoping to steer clear of this shit show, but here we go...

Because I can very clearly see who's supporting legislation designed to strip us of our basic right to exist in public places here.

A little perspective here: some members of the GOP want to keep bathrooms single-gender. Muslims all over the world are literally murdering homosexual people. They are not remotely comparable.

Because I've seen the statistics and murder rates and I really don't have the energy or willpower to dig them up tonight, but I've personally spoken to people younger than I am that supported the same and worse.

I'm not even sure what this means. Some people are bigoted idiots? I agree, but there's a pattern here: homosexuality is illegal (in some cases punishable by death) in the vast majority of muslim countries. Once again; have some perspective. It doesn't mean all muslims should be demonized, but western/white/christian transgressions against the LGBT community in most cases amount to an annoyance at best, not literal murder and torture.

Because the guy who was arrested bringing an arsenal of guns to LA Pride was a young white guy.

And the guy who actually killed 50 gay men was a muslim who pledged allegiance to ISIS.

Because the reason people are in the closet isn't rare chance of a Muslim terrorist, and it isn't a Muslim terrorist that's responsible every single time someone is murdered or pushed to suicide for existing out in the open.

Uh, how many people are actually murdered for being gay in the states? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen any evidence it's anything other than extremely rare. Yet in the middle east, people are regularly murdered (or put to death "legally") for being gay.

If that's not representative of Trump's supporters on Reddit, good for them. I'll believe it when I see it. Especially when the shooter himself was apparently not motivated by religion whatsoever (and didn't even practice), according to his family.

He pledged allegiance to ISIS, shouted "Allah Akbar" at the cops, and was proud of the Tsarnaevs. But it had nothing to do with religion, right? Give me a break.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Yeah moosehead and mill street are mainstream beers, Molson/coors/abinbev etc.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm not even sure what this means. Some people are bigoted idiots? I agree, but there's a pattern here: homosexuality is illegal (in some cases punishable by death) in the vast majority of muslim countries. Once again; have some perspective. It doesn't mean all muslims should be demonized, but western/white/christian transgressions against the LGBT community in most cases amount to an annoyance at best, not literal murder and torture.

How do anti-LGBT policies in Middle Eastern countries have anything to do with American citizens being suppressed by anti-LGBT policies pushed through by American legislators?

I understood Alg to be talking from an American perspective. Hate attacks by Muslims against gays are statistically non-significant in the United States. She is right in saying that the American right are the greatest threat to LGBT, if we are speaking about America.

By the way, anti-LGBT policies in the United States are not "an annoyance at best." I just want to say you're absurd. That's all.

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

How do anti-LGBT policies in Middle Eastern countries have anything to do with American citizens being suppressed by anti-LGBT policies pushed through by American legislators?

They don't, I'm just making the point that saying homophobic policies in the states pale in comparison to what is experienced throughout the world.

I understood Alg to be talking from an American perspective. Hate attacks by Muslims against gays are statistically non-significant in the United States.

I'll take it one step further and say that hate attacks by anyone against gays are statistically non-significant in the United States.

She is right in saying that the American right are the greatest threat to LGBT, if we are speaking about America.

Right, and the greatest threat to gays in the states is being told what bathroom to use. Gay marriage is now legal and and increasing number of people (on all sides of the political spectrum) see nothing wrong with being gay.

By the way, anti-LGBT policies in the United States are not "an annoyance at best." I just want to say you're absurd. That's all.

Compared to being murdered, being told what bathroom to use is an annoyance. I don't deny that the bathroom bill is silly and misguided, but it's not remotely comparable to the actual serious injustice faced by LGBT people in less enlightened places.

polvCwJ.gif

I was hoping to steer clear of this shit show, but here we go...

A little perspective here: some members of the GOP want to keep bathrooms single-gender. Muslims all over the world are literally murdering homosexual people. They are not remotely comparable.

And the guy who actually killed 50 gay men was a muslim who pledged allegiance to ISIS.

Uh, how many people are actually murdered for being gay in the states? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen any evidence it's anything other than extremely rare. Yet in the middle east, people are regularly murdered (or put to death "legally") for being gay.

He pledged allegiance to ISIS, shouted "Allah Akbar" at the cops, and was proud of the Tsarnaevs. But it had nothing to do with religion, right? Give me a break.

Let me google that for you. I'm sorry that it's nothing concise or organized but as I said earlier, I really do not want to look at these statistics again. I don't really even want to reply again but god knows you're not going to look it up for yourself. And yes, things are worse in the middle east. This isn't about the middle east, just that the right cares more about exterminating Islam than the dead. The shooter was as American as I am, and by some accounts (read: people that knew him), probably less religious. But yes, this is all a minor annoyance at best and I'm just overreacting because... politics, probably. Or I'm inherently excitable. But not because I've been seeing this bullshit for a long time and only avoided the literally murderous part of it myself through pure dumb luck.

[bleep] off. You wouldn't give a shit if the shooter didn't justify your own beliefs. This lets everyone look the other way because 'hey we're not as bad as we could be'. Never mind that earlier this week someone put an actual bomb in a Target bathroom in the name of public safety. But all terrorists are Muslims, so we can't bother with that. And did you even know about conversion therapy? Which is pretty explicitly torture, that the vast majority of the country has yet to ban?

You're not a devil's advocate, you're just a bigot who didn't bother to do the research. And yes, I'm mad, because I very much like not being dead because I showed affection in front of the wrong person - which, according to the shooter's family, is what motivated him more than a religion he didn't seem to be practicing (was he fasting at all?). I don't doubt that if the LA shooter succeeded that the right would be at best defending him as a poor mentally ill person who would have been stopped if it weren't for California's gun laws, if they didn't quietly celebrate him.

Edit: jesus [bleep] Obfuscator DO THE DAMN RESEARCH. Or cite your sources. This is ridiculous. You're literally making things up. If this is what passes for intelligence and maturity on this site I want nothing to do with it. It's not a difference of opinion or a debate or anything of the sort anymore, it's just you spouting bigotry in an attempt to justify more bigotry. What the [bleep] even happened to this site

• Like 1

Let me google that for you.

I'm sorry that it's nothing concise or organized but as I said earlier, I really do not want to look at these statistics again. I don't really even want to reply again but god knows you're not going to look it up for yourself. And yes, things are worse in the middle east. This isn't about the middle east, just that the right cares more about exterminating Islam than the dead. The shooter was as American as I am, and by some accounts (read: people that knew him), probably less religious. But yes, this is all a minor annoyance at best and I'm just overreacting because... politics, probably. Or I'm inherently excitable. But not because I've been seeing this bullshit for a long time and only avoided the literally murderous part of it myself through pure dumb luck.

[bleep] off. You wouldn't give a shit if the shooter didn't justify your own beliefs. This lets everyone look the other way because 'hey we're not as bad as we could be'. Never mind that earlier this week someone put an actual bomb in a Target bathroom in the name of public safety. But all terrorists are Muslims, so we can't bother with that. And did you even know about conversion therapy? Which is pretty explicitly torture, that the vast majority of the country has yet to ban?

What are my beliefs, exactly? I give a shit about innocent people being murdered, no matter who they are. I'm not suggesting everyone "look the other way", I think that when it comes to formal legislation introduced by the government, there is no reasonable comparison to murder. Are there individuals who hate LGBT people and want to hurt or kill them? Absolutely; across all races and religions. But there is not a country-wide epidemic of anti-gay violence. Even the statistics you cited list approximately 2000 murders perpetrated against LGBT people (of course there is also the question of whether this violence is because of their LGBT status or simply a coincidence), which makes up approximately 15% of all murders comitted in the United States. If you take gay people being 10% of the population as a benchmark, and expand that to include the umbrella of trans and other individuals, it doesn't paint a picture of a disproportionate amount of murder being committed against the LGBT community in general. Of course the LGBT community faces problems. The homelessness and suicide statistics are particularly disheartening, but the LGBT community does not hold a monopoly on either of these unfortunate outcomes. Your previous post did not mention these things, only the bathroom bill, so that's what I contrasted with the murder and torture of gay people overseas. Certainly these things are more problematic and at least somewhat comparable to the kind of life-ending discrimination faced in the middle east.

Using such generalizations as "The right cares more about exterminating Islam than the dead" is equally ridiculous. If you include any GOP supporter as being part of the right, this makes over 100 million people. It's not some hive mind where everyone feels the exact same way about every issue. And even then, the most radical GOP politician in recent history (Trump) is not calling for any violence against Muslims, let alone "extermination". It's also clearly an exageration to say you've only avoided the murderous part of LGBT discrimination through pure dumb luck as it is statistically quite rare. You might as well say you've avoided being struck by lightning through pure dumb luck.

You're not a devil's advocate, you're just a bigot who didn't bother to do the research. And yes, I'm mad, because I very much like not being dead because I showed affection in front of the wrong person - which, according to the shooter's family, is what motivated him more than a religion he didn't seem to be practicing (was he fasting at all?). I don't doubt that if the LA shooter succeeded that the right would be at best defending him as a poor mentally ill person who would have been stopped if it weren't for California's gun laws, if they didn't quietly celebrate him.

Edit: jesus [bleep] Obfuscator DO THE DAMN RESEARCH. Or cite your sources. This is ridiculous. You're literally making things up. If this is what passes for intelligence and maturity on this site I want nothing to do with it. It's not a difference of opinion or a debate or anything of the sort anymore, it's just you spouting bigotry in an attempt to justify more bigotry. What the [bleep] even happened to this site

I'm not going to respond to this emotional diatribe point by point. I will say, however, that on a personal level, I'm disappointed in your behaviour here. I remember you (quite fondly, in fact) as a rational, reasonable individual who was always willing to engage in respectful, thoughful debate, who steered clear of name calling and throwing insults. It's a pity that this seems to no longer be the case.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

Terrorists act to divide us. Don't let them succeed.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Terrorists act to divide us. Don't let them succeed.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Other news - Europe has been awesome. Favorite place so far has to be Budapest, really weird city in a good way.

Budapest is awesome, my favourite European city by far. The only thing I didn't like was the smell...

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

I'm not going to respond to this emotional diatribe point by point. I will say, however, that on a personal level, I'm disappointed in your behaviour here. I remember you (quite fondly, in fact) as a rational, reasonable individual who was always willing to engage in respectful, thoughful debate, who steered clear of name calling and throwing insults. It's a pity that this seems to no longer be the case.

Honestly, a little irrationality is probably to be expected from anyone in queer communities, simply because this a scary time with a lot of sort of inherent cognitive dissonance. Speaking generally, with no backing statistics or anything, but the people who fight against homophobia, etc. are also the people who fight against islamophobia, so now you've got to balance the "most Muslims aren't terrorists" with "this Islamic-associated man killed 50 people in the name of homophobia." Since neither statement is entirely rooted in logic sans emotion, it's an emotional issue to balance them, not a logical/rational one.

So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Honestly, a little irrationality is probably to be expected from anyone in queer communities, simply because this a scary time with a lot of sort of inherent cognitive dissonance. Speaking generally, with no backing statistics or anything, but the people who fight against homophobia, etc. are also the people who fight against islamophobia, so now you've got to balance the "most Muslims aren't terrorists" with "this Islamic-associated man killed 50 people in the name of homophobia." Since neither statement is entirely rooted in logic sans emotion, it's an emotional issue to balance them, not a logical/rational one.

Fair enough. Still, keeping decorum when it comes to tough events is a good goal. Even in emotional situations, it doesn't serve anyone well to throw logic out the window.

It certainly doesn't help that the people using this as a platform to say Islam is inherently violent and we need to vet or keep out this immigrants are the same people who a few days ago would have argued against pro-trans bathroom laws or lgbtqia job protections. With, in fact, many of the same arguments about murder vs annoyance that you've got. So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

I don't know if you're referring to me here, but I've already said the bathroom bill is mostly silly (although I can understand where it's proponents are coming from). I also don't think that Islam is inherently violent, or that an immigration freeze needs to be in place, or any of that related nonsense.

polvCwJ.gif

I don't understand the why the right thinks keeping their .22 would help against the government when the government would simply use drones

straw man spotted

polvCwJ.gif

Fair enough. Still, keeping decorum when it comes to tough events is a good goal. Even in emotional situations, it doesn't serve anyone well to throw logic out the window.

It certainly doesn't help that the people using this as a platform to say Islam is inherently violent and we need to vet or keep out this immigrants are the same people who a few days ago would have argued against pro-trans bathroom laws or lgbtqia job protections. With, in fact, many of the same arguments about murder vs annoyance that you've got. So, ya know. Don't count this one moment as being entirely discounting of any queer individual's ability to logic, because it's inherently hard right now.

I don't know if you're referring to me here, but I've already said the bathroom bill is mostly silly (although I can understand where it's proponents are coming from). I also don't think that Islam is inherently violent, or that an immigration freeze needs to be in place, or any of that related nonsense.
Yeah, I decided it wasn't fair to characterize you in a particular way when I don't really know your views, but you posted before I could remove that part from my post. Oh well, I guess.
  • Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I don't understand the why the right thinks keeping their .22 would help against the government when the government would simply use drones

drones, tanks, gas. Lots of nasty things rifles cant touch

straw man spotted

the gov argument is the most common anti-gun control argument out there

Maybe in the states....I'm somewhat active in the firearm community here (Canada) and I barely ever hear that argument.

However, it was a strawman because I doubt that many people actually think "a .22 will stop a drone". The actual argument, although somewhat flawed, is more nuanced than that.

polvCwJ.gif

drones, tanks, gas. Lots of nasty things rifles cant touch

straw man spotted

the gov argument is the most common anti-gun control argument out there

Maybe in the states....I'm somewhat active in the firearm community here (Canada) and I barely ever hear that argument.

However, it was a strawman because I doubt that many people actually think "a .22 will stop a drone". The actual argument, although somewhat flawed, is more nuanced than that.

Not my intention. Living in the midwest I hear this almost every time gun control is brought up. Usually followed by someone invoking the 240 year old document of justice

There's absolutely no denying it can be dangerous to be gay or trans in America, but in the majority of Muslim nations you would be jailed or put to death for it.

And the man arrested on the way to LA Pride was a) a Bernie supporter, not a conservative and b) not necessarily going there to commit a crime. The explosive found was Tannerite, which is usually used for shooting targets and is not a very effective explosive for the purposes of an attack. His firearms were illegal in California but it's entirely possible he was just going to the parade with his friend then taking him shooting after.

/r/the_donald was so gross today. They've always been gross people who have openly been horrible towards GSMs, and only now do they show any (thinly veiled) support when it allows them to condemn Islam. It's just a bunch of bigoted [wagon] who hate Muslims more than they hate gays.

You're completely full of crap, the sub has never been anti gay. Bigotry is gunning down 50 people because seeing a gay couple kiss made you uncomfortable. 99% of Afghani Muslims support Sharia Law, under which being gay is illegal and usually punishable by death.