Today...

Leoo

My pleasure ;)

Stereotypes have to have some sort of current or historical relevancy, otherwise there wouldn't be stereotypes.

Meh, not so sure about Houston ever since the great flood, not familiar about how well it's been rebuilt, but I've only heard good stuff about Austin and would like to check it out in the future. Texas is a wild uncharted territory for me right now.

Also, what happened with linking YT vids? What do I have to do to make it autoload?

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

You might not be able to get youtube videos to embed. I seem to remember having a look at the code for that because it wasn't working and then not fixing the problem (because I didn't see one). If I remember, I'll take another look at it no later than this weekend.

You can use the youtubehq tag, i.e.

[youtubehq]Y4lnZr022M8[/youtubehq]

&hl=en&ap=%2526fmt%3D18">
&hl=en&ap=%2526fmt%3D18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

vs

It's easier to just post the link and hit the button in the address bar though

OMG that youtube hq thing might bring the what are you listening to thread back to life

Also @Randox the youtube videos not loading isn't a code bug, its because the tag tries loading the videos over http and chrome / possibly other browsers block loading of http scripts over https connections. So if you can fix the normal youtube embed to use https it should fix things. Youtubehq tags seems to correctly load videos over https so hopefully it isn't too rough of a fix

Getting fillings is such a miserable experience. I tried getting a milkshake after to make my day a little better but my tongue is still numbed and I can only taste it on the not numb side lol :(

http://www.craveonline.com/mandatory/1110971-a-map-of-the-most-redneck-states-in-america

Texas ain't even THAT redneck. I've always wanted top go to Texas. Seems like a really great place, and quite honestly i've never heard anything but good about it. I'm really keen to go. And besides that, every Texan i have ever met have been some of the best people i've met. Down to earth kind of people. 

OMG that youtube hq thing might bring the what are you listening to thread back to life

Also @Randox the youtube videos not loading isn't a code bug, its because the tag tries loading the videos over http and chrome / possibly other browsers block loading of http scripts over https connections. So if you can fix the normal youtube embed to use https it should fix things. Youtubehq tags seems to correctly load videos over https so hopefully it isn't too rough of a fix

Getting fillings is such a miserable experience. I tried getting a milkshake after to make my day a little better but my tongue is still numbed and I can only taste it on the not numb side lol :(

Seems like it parses the YouTube URL to grab the video id and sticks it onto a different embed url (which uses http). Hopefully it should be simple to fix once you find the embed url but you never know with some applications.

I've spent nearly all my life in New Jersey, and trust me when I say that there's a LOT more confederate flags than you would expect. Especially considering NJ was part of the Union.

Also Texas is the STD capital of America so thanks abstinence only sex ed!

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I was surprised by the amount of California Republic flags I saw when I visited LA in September. Wonder if it is the same with Texas flags down there?

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is one of my favorite games in a long time. Such a deep world. I've mostly been playing Brawlhalla lately as a time killer. 

It is indeed one of the best games that I get to play. 

I took a quick peek. I should be able to sort the media tag out over the weekend (if it wasn't part of the default bbcode library I'd do it sooner). Thank you for pointing out the issue. In the meantime, the youtube tags (youtubehq and youtubehd) are both correctly setup and should work fine. For anyone who doesn't know, the third button in from the top left when writing a post is the special bbcode button, and lists a bunch of bbcodes that don't have their own buttons (such as the youtube codes).

So I'm working on the API and editor for what I call a 'GameDB' for my game. It's called IttleScape so I'm sure you can imagine what the gameplay would be like: RuneScape but single-player and a lot smaller (tops out at level 50).

I've been working on how to model relationships. For things like crafting items, it's easy--you have inputs (e.g., 5 rune bars) which are consumed, requirements (e.g., level 99 smithing) which are not consumed, and outputs (e.g., a rune platebody and some smithing xp) which are given after the action. But for things like quests and shops that's a bit harder.

For quests, I broke it into the overall "Quest" and invididual "Quest Steps". A single quest step can have multiple solutions, and each solution has prerequisites (other steps). When you complete a quest step, you would gain a pseudo-resource representing the specific step. So take the Cook's Assistant: You talk to the Chef (first step), you collect the ingredients in any order (steps 2-4), and you give the ingredients to the Chef (step 5). Step 5 has a single solution: steps 2-4. Step 1 has no solution. Steps 2-4 have a solution of step 1.

So I modeled it in code:

QuestStepResource startQuest = new QuestStepResource(game);
startQuest.Create();
startQuest.Name = "Start Cook's Assistant";

QuestStepResource getEggStep = new QuestStepResource(game);
getEggStep.Create();
getEggStep.Name = "(Cook's Assistant) Get large egg";
getEggStep.AddSolution(startQuest);

QuestStepResource getFlourStep = new QuestStepResource(game);
getFlourStep.Create();
getFlourStep.Name = "(Cook's Assistant) Get finely milled flour";
getFlourStep.AddSolution(startQuest);

QuestStepResource getMilkStep = new QuestStepResource(game);
getMilkStep.Create();
getMilkStep.Name = "(Cook's Assistant) Get prized milk";
getMilkStep.AddSolution(startQuest);

QuestStepResource finalStep = new QuestStepResource(game);
finalStep.Create();
finalStep.Name = "(Cook's Assistant) Make cake";
finalStep.AddSolution(getEggStep, getFlourStep, getMilkStep);

QuestResource cooksAssistantQuest = new QuestResource(game);
cooksAssistantQuest.Create();
cooksAssistantQuest.Name = "Cook's Assistant";
cooksAssistantQuest.SetFinalStep(finalStep);

It produces this output (should give an idea to the layout of the DB if you're familiar with that sort of thing):

'Start Cook's Assistant' (#1, quest_step)
'(Cook's Assistant) Get large egg' (#2, quest_step)
- quest.complete
  * output '(Cook's Assistant) Get large egg' (#2, quest_step) x1
  * require 'Start Cook's Assistant' (#1, quest_step) x1
'(Cook's Assistant) Get finely milled flour' (#3, quest_step)
- quest.complete
  * output '(Cook's Assistant) Get finely milled flour' (#3, quest_step) x1
'(Cook's Assistant) Get prized milk' (#4, quest_step)
- quest.complete
  * output '(Cook's Assistant) Get prized milk' (#4, quest_step) x1
'(Cook's Assistant) Make cake' (#5, quest_step)
- quest.complete
  * output '(Cook's Assistant) Make cake' (#5, quest_step) x1
  * require '(Cook's Assistant) Get large egg' (#2, quest_step) x1
  * require '(Cook's Assistant) Get finely milled flour' (#3, quest_step) x1
  * require '(Cook's Assistant) Get prized milk' (#4, quest_step) x1
'Cook's Assistant' (#6, quest)
- quest.complete
  * output 'Cook's Assistant' (#6, quest) x1
  * require '(Cook's Assistant) Make cake' (#5, quest_step) x1

For a branching quest (say something simple like Kill Jane or Kill John -> Quest Complete), you'd have two solutions to the final step (one with Kill Jane as a requirement and the other one with Kill John). Exclusionary logic will have to be handled in-game (e.g., can't kill John and Jane), but the goal planner only finds a single solution so it won't attempt both.

ozXHe7P.png

This probably belongs in a different part of the forum but no one will care.

I'm looking to buy a new computer.

Now I don't know a great deal about computer mahbobs and will likely get a custom built machine from overclockers (UK site) but I have a few specific requirements that I am looking to meet.

Ideally the computer will be used primarily for my work, which will involving coding (python, R, C++) and compiling latex documents but majority of the workload would be dispatched to a computer cluster I have access to, currently I use £120 Chromebook to work remotely and I think I need a more robust workstation (and a table). I would also prefer it to be considerably zippy all things considered (I will be running Mint as my OS.) 

Therefore I think I will need a fairly mid-range machine for those purposes but I would also like to do a bit of "light" gaming on the side, which is where I think I need help :)

What I am currently thinking is:

Some form of i5 processor

2x ~250GB WD SSD or 500GB SSD

An amount of RAM that will probably be 8GB.

A GPU. The last GPU I had was a nvidia 630, and it's only now just become obsolete, nvidia 1050s are pretty cheap right now but are they any good? Although I suspect the type of games I would want to play could run on integrated graphics but I would like the option to play a "newer" game (from 2013 or something)

The two SSDs would be used to swap between "Gaming" and "Work" mode because I am terrible at focussing on my work if I am able to simply open up a game (I lack will-power). So I want to separate the two uses of the PC, it sounds stupid but I'm set on it. The intention is to simply have the SATA cables poke out of the case and then swap between the two drives as and when. I am aware I could quite easily have both drives in the computer but the fact there will be a physical task that prevents me from loading up a game will probably dissuade me from playing one.

Pls Halp.

Peripherals and Motherboard will probably just be picked by whatever website I decide to throw money at to build the machine for me given the parts.

Luck be a Lady

don't cheap out on the mobo. When I built my gaming PC I bought the cheapest mobo I could find and had more problems with it than anything else

• Like 2

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Are you focused on a desktop? (Since you said you have a Chromebook).

I recently got an Acer Aspire E15 and there's a model with an 8th gen i7 and nVidia MX150, which would be great for light gaming. It has a 1080p screen, M4 SSD with room for an SATA one (i.e., personal / work separation), it's not too heavy, and it has good battery life.

I know it's US but here's what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FLJ87G

The only bit that sucks is the placement of the arrow keys...

For a desktop, a 1050 Ti or better (or AMD equivalent), any recent gen i7, and 16 GB of RAM would be more than enough (especially for lighting gaming). I agree with obfuscator, and I'll add don't cheap out on the PSU either.

With 16 GB of RAM and an i7 I can compile FreeBSD kernel + userspace in like 10 minutes off an SSD. :P (Ok, maybe more, and this doesn't include LLVM, but I haven't done it in a while; still, if I recall correctly, it's closer to 10 minutes than not.)

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Depression is a [bleep] mate, how you feeling these days?

school is tough because even if you were actually studying it can still be socially isolating. glad you're doing better :thumbup:

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

So, my phone has the weirdest "glitch" I'll call it in my autocorrect. You see, for some reason whenever I start an autocorrect sentence like those ones on Facebook or Instagram just to see what will happen it always ends up saying, "in the field of the LGBT," even though I've never actually typed the sentence.

As an example:

"I was born in the field of the LGBT and I think it should be good for the rest of the LGBT"

I have no idea where this came from, or why my phone does it but I find it super weird.

It must have grabbed it from somewhere, whether you typed it or you read it some place

Ring_World, it's great to see you're improving. Depression is a [bleep].

I had an idea for a line, "I can program a computer but not a VCR," but that doesn't work anymore lol... "I can program a computer but can't set the time on a microwave" doesn't work as well.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png