Today...

Leoo

How the hell does someone convince you to give up a pet?

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I went to the bar again. Ordered a Shirley temple and then when people started coming in vanilla vodka with cherry juice (it was a little bit too alcoholic at first but I got used to it). Sipped it for like 3 hours again lol.

Got two numbers! And I was the one to approach them, which I think is a big step. They both were nice, interesting, and cute.

The one dude is probably out of my league but who knows. He's a god-damn good dancer. Speaking of which, I danced a little bit, too. I can see why being drunk helps but I just figured no one's going to care so I danced anyway. Some people helped me out which was cool.

@Vieva definitely keep your options open to keep doing that. I think you could find a paid internship where your writing software if you were able to get a hiring manager to know about the projects you've done.

Tbh if you already had the magic paper you should probably be getting paid $80k a year as it is

who would win meme

over 10 years of programming experience in half a dozen languages making games, websites, tools, contributing to oss

vs

one magic paper boi

• Like 2

ozXHe7P.png

To be fair, I don't think most self taught programmers have anywhere near the skill Veiva has at organizing and designing code. I imagine you get a lot more poor programming practices out of someone who never had to show their code to someone else.

That being said, the classes I took in college didn't really teach me about writing maintainable, object-oriented code, beyond just teaching me what classes and interfaces are. I'm constantly aware of how I don't have those skills and how hard it is for me to write well structured code. So a magic paper doesn't really guarantee that either.

How the hell does someone convince you to give up a pet?

"Hey, while I was watching your cat while you were out of town, she was happier than with you and didn't meow at all and wasnt needy and she needs multiple people to give her attention and you don't love her &c &c &c"

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

You mentioned that you're no longer friends with this person. You're better for it. What a piece of shit

• Like 2

Learning to write maintainable code is the most important thing and I wish it was talked about more in school.

If your code is a little slow or isn't structured that well or is hard to use, there are plenty of amazing engineers in the building who can help you. There isn't much we can do though if your code is hard to read, isn't tested or documented, or if there aren't comments explaining why you made the choices you made. Understanding how to use git correctly goes a long way too.

• Like 1

Commenting is taught really badly in my experience. I remember being told a few times to do stuff like "comment every line" which just makes things a mess. If the code is good in the first place you shouldn't need that many comments.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

yeah I had a course in my CS program that tried to actually teach sane software design principles and design patterns, like we'd take a project and then have to add features to it that involved some pretty intensive refactoring . The professor would handgrade all the code for style too which was weighted more heavily than the code actually working (though he wouldn't grade it unless it could pass the autograder). Super intense class at the time but I'm super thankful for the instinct for code smells that class taught me lol.

but yeah every fresh grad needs to read clean code tbh. such a gamechanger for writing code other people can read

A close friend of mine that lives in Utah visited last weekend and ended up landing a job interview that brought her back for an on-site friday and she ended up getting an offer. They want her to start in early april. So she'll probably be moving here within the next 3 weeks which has been pretty unexpected but pretty damn rad tbh

hope y'all had some great st patty's days

Applied for an apartment with my girlfriend today. It'll be a pretty tight budget, but the place just got renovated so we'd be the first to use everything. And while that might mean my security deposit is going to be a wash, the place is NICE

I bought a pair of practically brand new Allen Edmonds shoes on ebay for $120, but they were a tad bit small. I'm heartbroken that I have to return them since I can't really afford a new or a decent pair. It will be a long while before another pair that good comes around, much less for a price like that.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Steve Madden Harken's look exactly the same for like $90. I'll never understand high fashion

I have a few pairs of dress shoes and they all are great and comfortable and all were under $100.

I mean I were them like 10 hours a day and can't complain.

Also I have a date Wednesday. 8)

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I wouldn't necessarily call AE 'high fashion' by any means. They are a generally a very safe, traditional shoe. Yeah, they are expensive, but the quality is miles ahead of your department store brands and 'high fashion' shoes. My real problem is that I have a relatively wide foot, so I would have to basically get a pair of Cole Haan / Steve Madden clown shoes if I wanted them to not hurt my feet since most brands don't carry wide shoes.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

http://www.rogansshoes.com/steve-madden-trace-dress-shoes-mens I've been wearing these every day to work for a little over 2 years and they're still holding together well. The inside is only just becoming to look worn, but the outside looks fine. Granted, my job involves standing only when I have to pee or make coffee.

Hey man, I'd wear my chuck Taylor's if they'd allow it

Stuck in a wee place called Kaikoura as my bike broke down near here.

And I am signing the contract for a job here tomorrow. I got here on Tuesday.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

We're hiring a C# developer currently and it's definitely a skillset that's in demand. I doubt you'd have trouble at least getting interviews. If you like the language, I'd go for it. I'm definitely not a fan though

No one showed up at Game Dev Club at school again. Oh well, I'm not too bothered.

Date went well but there wasn't any romantic attraction so being friends is good.

I made this in the few hours between class/club:

xQ3LXgx.gif

Not too bad for ~3 hours of work...

(I stole the heightmap from Wickerpedia lol).

I forked Love2D and have been adding 3D functions like love.graphics.lookAt and love.graphics.perspective: https://github.com/aaronbolyard/love2d I've always had a soft spot for Love2D and with the recent changes in the as-of-yet-released 0.11 it's even more awesome.

Overall, today was 7.8/10: too much rain.

ozXHe7P.png

You're really gonna fry his rice like that, Goon?

Wow I failed my driving test a second time.

This sucks. I need more practice but I don't have any help.

What is it you're having trouble with? Can't give you practice but might have some tips and tricks to offer.