Today...

Leoo

Pull the hair and lick the elbows of the examiner to be sure.

Nah, I also failed the first time. Got a few hundred k's with my mum sitting on passenger seat for practice and it helped. I don't know how much it would help around there, but for us it is a LOT easier to pass the exams in more rural areas. First off, there isn't that much traffic and secondly the examinators seem more chill aswell. Might be cause they are not booked 24/7 for months at a time.

• Like 3

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Got me some oxblood shoes instead of black. I have a pair of black shoes already that I'm not a fan of, but two colors are better than 1 I figured. Yes I know, the khaki socks were the first socks I saw just to try them on for size.

gwiNAdU.png

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I'm also a member of the failed-two-driving-tests-before-I-got-my-license club

Just got back from a vacation to Arizona that was super dope! My Grandma spends the colder months out there and my parents were visiting her so I met up with them there for the weekend. We went and saw the Grand Canyon which was absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to go back there again someday and do one of the hikes to the bottom of the canyon.

Also met up with one of my old college roommates who lives in the area now. Holy shit I had no idea that the nightlife was so insane out there; going out is so much better when you live somewhere where people actually go outside and it was absolutely ridiculous how many gorgeous women there were there (being right near Arizona State helped a LOT). My friend had some other friends who work as promoters at one of the bigger clubs in the area and we took a party bus there and got free admission / "bottle service" (shitty vodka and kool-aid lmao but w/e it was free). Still not super big on clubbing but it was still fun to see that kind of thing; Seattle's nightlife isn't really the greatest unless you're not straight and I'd never really been out in a place with that good of nightlife. Definitely could not do that environment all the time though lol.

But yeah, just was a super nice feel-good time and it was cool getting to see my family since I don't really get to spend much time with them since I moved. Coming back to 40 degree weather after a weekend of 80 degree weather and sunshine is [bleep]ing HARD though ughhhh

• Like 1

Just got back from a 7 day trip to South Africa (Cape Town). There are some serious water shortages so people have been restricted to 50 liters a day to try and combat and prolong the inevitable day-zero. As someone that usually takes 15 minute showers, having to take a 2 minute shower instead, was not fun. I felt dirty the entire trip. Apart from that, it was a slot of fun. Went on a day trip to several wine farms, explored like a proper tourist. Was my first time in Cape Town in 16 years or so, and the last time we went was only for 2 or 3 days. This was really fun. Glad it's over though. Glad to be back home. Excited to take a decent shower.

Wow I'm looking at dealerships about 40-50 miles from Fayetteville (i.e., in rural areas with much, much lower military population) and there's a bunch of great cars in the $6k +/i $1k range. That's a tad outside what we have saved up (...we have like $4k, and I don't want to go under $1k) but maybe my grandparents can help out, or I can just finance it (ripperoni on my car insurance rates LOL; probably gonna be $300/month). I'd guess the payments would run about $120-$200 a month if I can get a good interest rate (my credit score is just around 700 so while I should qualify for average rates) and put a 40%-50% down-payment on it.

It would be nice if I knew where I would be, income-wise, in a year. I currently receive SSDI (a type of welfare for disabilities, for you non-Americans) but it's probably going to cease when I go up for review sometime (could be around September, could be a year later, who knows) since I work. I mean, if it doesn't, I'll be set until I graduate school--and by then I definitely shouldn't need it anymore.

But maybe if i can make a dumb little game... based on RuneScape... leveraging RuneScape's communities... maybe...

Speaking of which, does this character look good in motion? The difference is the lighting will change when he flips (currently it literally flips the image lol):

EG7njqr.gif

ozXHe7P.png

Makes sense, I thought you meant you had already decided to leave regardless of another offer. But yes, if you don't have an extension in hand you should obviously be looking for another job

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I've noticed a trend in my friend group where they tell their boss they're going to quit and they get counter offered with a raise. Funny how that works

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I've noticed a trend in my friend group society where they tell their boss they're going to quit and they get counter offered with a raise. Funny how that works

FTFY

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

I made the mistake of stating my opinion on Facebook and a bunch of middle aged men started calling me an idiot and berated me for saying i am so "recklessly irresponsible" for stating said opinion and then not feeling then need to defend myself after they called me a moron.

And now I've bother you all with my dilemma of whether or not I let them believe they have some sort of moral high ground because I don't want to waste my time (as in, I continue to ignore the situation and go on with my life) OR do I spend far too much time explaining to them that I don't owe them an explanation for my opinion and that I would have happily had an intelligent dialogue with them about the topic, but they are neither intelligent nor dialogue proficient (seriously, without even offering a counter point, they jumped straight the classic Facebook name calling).

I'm leaning toward ignoring them, but the fact that they think they "won" right now just really makes my skin crawl.

That'll teach me to post on social media

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

don't worry, be happy

But seriously: I used to argue with people all the time on the internet, until I realized that most people (myself included) aren't really interested in changing their minds. So now, I mostly give people the benefit of the doubt for one reply - if they are actually open I'll continue, if not, I just ignore them. Who cares if they think they've "won", they will think that regardless of what you say.

• Like 3

polvCwJ.gif

So I've been trying to make a small game in Love2D.

I though, hmm, I want to having drawing independent of logic. And then, hmm, why don't I add a deferred renderer and support for reflections & shadows. And hmm, why not separate logic and data so I could implement network play in the future. And hmm, why not throw in an entity-component-system.

Now 2,700 lines of code later and I don't know if any of it works lol. I have a partial ECS, some rendering done, the basic game model done, but none of it complete and none of it interacting with the other.

I have a problem with overthinking things...

edit: But I got drawing working.

I'm only updating the rotation 5 times a second, but it's interpolating the current frame with the previous to generate a smooth image at any framerate:

87VLi22.gif

The logic is pretty simple:

function love.update(delta)
    -- Accumulator. Stores time until next tick.
    Instance.time = Instance.time + delta

-- Only update at TICK_RATE intervals.
    while Instance.time > TICK_RATE do
        Instance.SceneRoot:tick()

-- Rotate cube 360 degrees every 2 seconds
        Instance.SceneRoot:getTransform():rotateByAxisAngle(Vector(0, 1, 0), TICK_RATE * math.pi)

-- Handle cases where 'delta' exceeds TICK_RATE
        Instance.time = Instance.time - TICK_RATE

-- Store the previous frame time.
        Instance.previousTickTime = love.timer.getTime()
    end
end

function love.draw()
    local currentTime = love.timer.getTime()
    local previousTime = Instance.previousTickTime

-- Generate a delta (0 .. 1 inclusive) between the current and previous frames
    local delta = (currentTime - previousTime) / TICK_RATE

local width, height = love.window.getMode()
    Instance.Renderer:getCamera():setWidth(width)
    Instance.Renderer:getCamera():setHeight(height)

-- Draw the scene.
    Instance.Renderer:draw(Instance.SceneRoot, delta)
end
  • Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Is it so much to ask for comments at the top of methods explaining what they do? Is that an excessive expectation? Because it seems like no one does that, and I don't understand why, because the moment I learned to do that, my code became 100% more readable and I immediately understood the benefit...

I'm so tired of asking what code does at work

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

So I added directional lights (e.g., sun) and ambient lights (e.g., light inside a building).

8WD8xty.gif

There's three buffers in my "GBuffer" (geometry buffer) that stores the scene:

Color (red, green, blue, alpha, 8 bits per component):

YUPsHfq.png

Positions (x, y, z, in world-space, half-float [16 bits] per component):

WOBHwYN.png

Normals (x, y, z, in normal-space, half-float per component):

RQMlu98.png

(Since normals go from -1 to 1, negative values appeear black. Similarly, world positions are much bigger or smaller, so values exceeding 1 are clamped to 1 when visualized. E.g., a 4 x 4 cube would go from 0 (no color) to 1 (max color) visually, so 3/4 of the cube would be bright whatever and 1/4th would be a gradient.)

The lights are composited additively in another buffer:

sX849qh.png

The final image is simply each pixel from color (from the GBuffer) and light are multiplied together, resulting in the lighting being applied.

Pretty nifty. Means I can have lots of lights. :)

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Sunburnt, exhausted, tired, hungry...

Working 14h days outside in the sun isn't easy.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

So I took this guy:

OE7aPO3.png

And made him into a mesh:

fPEx9uw.gif

And added a walk animation:

7WKyhRF.gif

Was working on a tool to convert FBX to a custom model format. It mostly works, just exporting the skeleton is a bit wonky.

Tomorrow I take the driving test again. I am confident I'll pass this time, but still nervous lol.

ozXHe7P.png