15 Aug 2008 - Future PvP Updates

Stewie_Griffen

The most frequent request we have received over the last few months has been to put more PvP back into the game. We want to let you know that this request hasn't gone unheard, and that we've put a lot of research into how we can introduce new PvP mechanisms.

The most frequent request we have received over the last few months has been to put more PvP back into the game. We want to let you know that this request hasn't gone unheard, and that we've put a lot of research into how we can introduce new PvP mechanisms. The aim is for PvP content that better replaces the old Wilderness, but without reintroducing RWT.

Hopefully, youre already aware of the imminent Clan Wars release (see the September Behind the Scenes in a couple of weeks for more information), but there are also plans afoot for the most exciting and "old school" PvP update we have ever considered unique PvP worlds.

As many of our long term players know, in the old RuneScape Classic days you could actually fight players just outside the gates of Lumbridge, before the days of duelling and even before the days of the old Wilderness itself. Players could hunt each other down, chasing them away from favourite resource points and generally "owning" large areas of the map.

So, in 2008, we will be bringing you special 'PvP worlds', where you can fight other players almost anywhere! In addition to all the usual content you might expect to find in RuneScape, they will also include:

Optional sign-up choose between PvP danger or stick to ordinary play by simply switching worlds.

High danger with items dropped on death.

High rewards for kills. To avoid any RWT issues the reward for a successful PK will be generated by the game, similar to when you kill a monster at the moment. We're creating generous drop tables based on factors like your levels and the impressiveness of the kill.

These drop tables will include "PvP world specific" items like XP-modifying gear, lvl 70+ equipment and new, glorious, short-term but hard hitting gear. These will once again make PKing a viable source of income.

PvP across 99% of the world, including the old Wilderness.

Attack any player within a certain level of your own. Level range depends on the area, similar to the old Wilderness levels.

...And all sorts of other twists on interesting content... Just think of the possibilities when you can PK anywhere!

Naturally, we also have other PvP-orientated content, like Stealing Creation (a resource control game where skillers and PKers work together, creating equipment and beating up the opposition) and Mobilising Armies (a real-time strategy game where you use your hard made bows, swords, etc. to equip your own armies in 4-player battles).

Add all this to a healthy schedule of quests (featuring Arrav and the sequel to Spirit of Summer), holiday events and some unique puzzle content... and the rest of '08 has something for almost everyone.

Finally, we'd like to let you in on a little secret we're currently working on our highest level, longest, most exciting quest ever. Not necessarily for launch in '08 (it's not something we want to rush, after all), its already had more development time than the entirety of "Recipe for Disaster"... but youll have to wait to find out more. We're adding secret hints and references all the time about this one, so if you need to know more, just look around! Leave no stone unturned....

Oddment1.png

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite impressed. I haven't done much PvPing in this game, but this seems pretty promising.

On the bad side, welcome back you pures...

And it looks like all of those "quest storyline spoiler posibility" threads and ideas are probably correct, too.

A bigger quest than RFD? Imagine the reward...

Wow, good job Jagex.

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

I'm quite impressed. I haven't done much PvPing in this game, but this seems pretty promising.

On the bad side, welcome back you pures...

Don't worry, the article said Jagex is giving us some new and exciting armor with 70+ requirements so pures can't have it. :thumbsup:

Oddment1.png

can't wait, 99% of the pvp worlds you can atk in, and i like this

Finally, we'd like to let you in on a little secret we're currently working on our highest level, longest, most exciting quest ever.

I want to see what the ranters will say about this

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

The barrows pures will probably be able to wear them. -.-

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

I'm not complaining, just don't want to see low levels wearing level 70 armor. Level 27 wearing full dragon(minus wep and shield)is weird -.- :shock:

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

I'm not complaining, just don't want to see low levels wearing level 70 armor. Level 27 wearing full dragon(minus wep and shield)is weird -.- :shock:

You have a really flawed sense of logic. If someone has 70 defence to use an item, and they are wearing it, why is it weird to see them wearing it? That is like saying "it is weird seeing level 3s use dragon axes". :?

"Leave no stone unturned...."

I think we all know what this means.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

God no... #-o

Not only am I a second class runescape citizen thanks to HD but now I'm being kicked to the curb as worlds are going to be given to all those sad losers that we managed to get rid of last year.

Jagex says, "Welcome back e-thugs!". :thumbdown:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

As many of our long term players know, in the old RuneScape Classic days you could actually fight players just outside the gates of Lumbridge, before the days of duelling and even before the days of the old Wilderness itself. Players could hunt each other down, chasing them away from favourite resource points and generally "owning" large areas of the map.

OH MY GOD! :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

The best pking times are coming back!!

j_birdd.png

Wonder what the long, epic quest will be. D Plate reward quest? ME3? Monkey Madness 2 (got no idea why someone called it 3)?

Well, it's probably not going to be MEP3, though a D Plate reward is a possibility. And Monkey Madness 2 is RFD: Ape Atoll. So if we had a new monkey quest, it would be number 3.

its not safe outside!

Remember, these worlds are entirely optional. So, what this means is that people can't gang up on skillers for rune ore as such... the only ones in here will be the ones who want to fight.

Proud member of the Tal Shiar Alliance

Flobberdude.png

Goals: Quest cape, skill range 10 or less, all stats above 60. (Although yes, I am aware that in order to do the first two, I have to do the third.)

----

I am sick and tired of people asking me to put stuff in my signature. If you agree with me, do NOT put this in your signature.