Atom Smasher

Tribal

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like an anti-matter machine creator, except the atoms at flung at a copper plate, and this one is 17 times longer then the one I read about. (I think)

I'll be very interested in how this works. (Cause I doubt some court system is going to shut down a 4 billion dollar project)

~ Captainkidd

I really think this is such a bad idea... People playing God, something is going to go wrong at some time. Nuclear bombs, mustard gas, tanks, space ships, medicine... Don't we already know enough about science? As far I'm concerned this is a total waste of money which should be spent on humankind, not the games of a few scientists.

I know this could be seen as narrow-minded, but really, who is this going to benefit? Sure it is incredibly interesting and such, but what else could we have done with that 4 billion? We need to sort out our own problems beyond trying to unravel the world.

It's not a bad idea, and it's hard to play something that doesn't exist. ;)

No, we don't "know enough about science". The search for truth is one of the noblest ideals, and science, as far as we know, is the best way to pursue truth about our universe.

Who is going to benefit? Who knows? The ramifications in terms of technology for the average person probably won't be felt for a very long time, but even if it never brings anything useful, who cares? Like I said, it will give us a better understanding of the universe, and that knowledge alone is worth the money.

Ok I know that you're in the right. I've been arguing with my dad about this for a few days and I know I'm in the wrong, and yet I still think it's just a bad idea... Couldn't we have spent 4 billion on something that would benefit the world for certain, rather than hanging hopes on this?

It will benefit the world for certain, because at the very least, we'll know that collisions on this magnitude don't produce or do produce certain effects.

IRKAa.jpg

I really think this is such a bad idea... People playing God, something is going to go wrong at some time. Nuclear bombs, mustard gas, tanks, space ships, medicine... Don't we already know enough about science? As far I'm concerned this is a total waste of money which should be spent on humankind, not the games of a few scientists.

I know this could be seen as narrow-minded, but really, who is this going to benefit? Sure it is incredibly interesting and such, but what else could we have done with that 4 billion? We need to sort out our own problems beyond trying to unravel the world.

It's not a bad idea, and it's hard to play something that doesn't exist. ;)

No, we don't "know enough about science". The search for truth is one of the noblest ideals, and science, as far as we know, is the best way to pursue truth about our universe.

Who is going to benefit? Who knows? The ramifications in terms of technology for the average person probably won't be felt for a very long time, but even if it never brings anything useful, who cares? Like I said, it will give us a better understanding of the universe, and that knowledge alone is worth the money.

Ok I know that you're in the right. I've been arguing with my dad about this for a few days and I know I'm in the wrong, and yet I still think it's just a bad idea... Couldn't we have spent 4 billion on something that would benefit the world for certain, rather than hanging hopes on this?

I see your point, but the same could be argued for research into smallpox, for example. We didn't know for certain that we would find something of any pragmatic use then, but the only way we would get anything of use was to do the research in the first place. Today, smallpox has been eradicated entirely (well, except for two labs in the world - one in America and one in Russia if I remember correctly).

The point is that we can only come to the advanced level of today by delving into the unknown and chancing our arm a bit.

I suppose it just depends on what point of view you look at it from.

Next week?! But... There are so many things I want to do! Skydiving... Go to Paris!

And I still haven't told HER how I feel!

WHY DID THIS MACHINE HAVE TO EXIST?!?!?!

*Latios robs a bank, goes to Paris and gets with the girl of his dreams, only to realise the atom smasher didn't destroy the world. Now the feds are after him. Crap.*

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Isn't TheSun supposed to be like the National Enquirer of the UK? The kind of magazine that exaggerates everything, making everything sound like it will end the world or change life as we know it?

And why is it we haven't heard of this experiment much sooner? Surely such a revolutionary and controversial experiment would be all over the news internationally?

The experiment's being done in France right? Can any Frenchie here find an article that confirms this? Frankly I'm rather reluctant to agree with this article, it just seemed to come out of nowhere that this experiment was occuring.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

A lot of the biggest breakthroughs throughout human history have come about through research with no obvious uses. Penicillin I believe is one of the big examples. As for a better use of 4 billion, that's subjective, but in my mind there is no better way to spend money than these kind of investigations into the truth. People's default reaction when they hear large sums of money seems to be that it should be spent on hospitals or education. My response would be that the money has come from many, many different contributing countries, and when broken down isn't much more than the operating budget for an average sized university. A lot of medicine has to thank CERN for side research they've done into things like NMRI scans and radiotherapy. The Apollo moon landings inspired a generation of scientists who helped improve the standards of living for all of us. It might just take another experiment like this to inspire the next generation.

There's also the case for spending money on science, simply because it's interesting, which I think should be much stronger in most people's minds.

The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I was wondering if there was going to be a thread on this. In triple science we watched a dvd, and apparently the "company" that is doing the experiment is called CERN and it was made by physists because they created the atom bomb, and they wanted to do something peaceful so they made a massive laboratory in Sweden to try and advance technology. Possibly ending the word, how very peaceful.

It's all crap, it's going to be a massive dissapointment, and a massive waste of money that should have gone into helping "third world" countries.

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

It's all crap, it's going to be a massive dissapointment, and a massive waste of money that should have gone into helping "third world" countries.

There's possibilities of finding the Higgs Boson, fixing the holes in the Standard Model and quantum gravitational data that might even lead to a theory of everything. I'm really excited about it.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

1. I think they have the creation of a black hole that would suck earth up under control

2. Who cares if the earth gets sucked into a black hole.... whats so bad about that? It would be a nice and painless death ::'

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

There's possibilities of finding the Higgs Boson, fixing the holes in the Standard Model and quantum gravitational data that might even lead to a theory of everything. I'm really excited about it.

So?

I'd rather be curious and know the world is a better place than have answers and yet have a good proportion of the world dying from hunger and diseases. Thanks.

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

So?

I'd rather be curious and know the world is a better place than have answers and yet have a good proportion of the world dying from hunger and diseases. Thanks.

Such a cliché, as if throwing money at the third-world is going to solve all its problems.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Such a cliché, as if throwing money at the third-world is going to solve all its problems.

No, if CERN spent the 4 billion researching into aids, ways to provide more food, etc instead of chucking it all into atom research, I'm fairly sure it could fix some problems.

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

No, if CERN spent the 4 billion researching into aids, ways to provide more food, etc instead of chucking it all into atom research, I'm fairly sure it could fix some problems.

I don't understand how you disagreeing with the amount of money spent on the LHC makes it any less interesting or exciting, and it certainly doesn't make it pointless or a waste of money.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I saw this in my local newspaper and thought of posting it, but forgot to. All I'm saying is that I hope it doesn't kill us.
why?

I saw this in my local newspaper and thought of posting it, but forgot to. All I'm saying is that I hope it doesn't kill us.
why?

Not sure you realize this, but dying generally isn't a good thing.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I don't understand how you disagreeing with the amount of money spent on the LHC makes it any less interesting or exciting, and it certainly doesn't make it pointless or a waste of money.

Exactely, one of my friends works at the CERN in Geneva, and I can think of dozens of things that require a lot more money and that are far more of a waste of money. What the CERN does, for example, is provide you with inventions like internet. A large part of internet's developpement was done there, and I'm sure a lot more practical stuff find its origin there.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

why?

Not sure you realize this, but dying generally isn't a good thing.

why are you scared of death?