Atom Smasher

Tribal

I'd like to know a few things. If they do screw up or something and something happens that will destroy the Earth, will it be instant? Because, if it happens and I can see the world getting destroyed and I have like 10 seconds, THAT WILL BE THE FUNNEST 10 SECONDS OF MY ENTIRE LIFE! I have to ask my science teacher about it tomorrow. What time are they supposed to start?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no ifs or buts about it, the world is not going to end. If world destroying black holes could be created by these kind of collisions they would have done so long ago in the upper atmosphere through cosmic ray bombardment. People keep going on about how no one knows what's going to happen. That's true, to an extent, because we've never had detectors the size of cathedrals up in the atmosphere, but whatever happens we can be damn sure that the world won't end because cosmic rays are far more energetic.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Here's another article on this topic: http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-sci ... 2008-09-09

Heads up, science fiends and night owls: The greatest science experiment ever built is set to switch on at around 3:30 A.M. Eastern time tomorrow.

After 14 years and $8 billion, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) plans to inject the first beam of protons fully around the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the circular particle accelerator 17 miles (27 kilometers) long straddling the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva.

It will most assuredly not destroy the world.

What it will do is help researchers answer some big questions about the universewhy particles have mass; what dark matter may be made of, and why matter survived its brush with antimatter when the universe was young.

The LHC will accomplish all that by producing high-energy particle collisions600 million per secondfor detectors to scan for rare but telling debris. (See our special report, The Large Hadron Collider: Countdown.)

CERN estimates that in six to eight weeks it will steer the first proton beam into a head-on crash with a second beam circulating the other direction, for a combined energy of 10 trillion electron volts (TeV) per collision. The lab plans to shut down the accelerator for the winter in mid-November and prepare it to restart next year at its full energy of 14 TeV.

Scientists by now are sick of reiterating that they would not have built such a machine if they had the slightest fear that it would produce microscopic black holes capable of destroying the world. Nor do they appreciate the death threats.

Erm

Its endeavours like this which are what made humans come out of the caves and explore the world.It truly is one of teh most captivating experiments even from a visual standpoint just of how big this atom smasher is and the engineering that went into it.

tifsdac6mc.gif

This thing will not destroy the world. If it works at all, it'll give crucial information to the history of earth. 4chan is already making a big deal out of this thing. :wall:

This picture made me laugh out loud, not just the OP but the first response:

[hide=/b/tards]17549844zt0.png[/hide]

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

This thing will not destroy the world. If it works at all, it'll give crucial information to the history of earth. 4chan is already making a big deal out of this thing. :wall:

This picture made me laugh out loud, not just the OP but the first response:

[hide=/b/tards]17549844zt0.png[/hide]

post in in the funny pictures thread, before I die of facepalming at the lack of good pictures. Ok, so 3:30 am. If I wake up tomorrow, I know it was success. IMMA CROSSIN MAH FINGERS!!! :|

I am looking forwards to this.

If we can prove how we came into existence, and prove without a doubt the existence of AntiMatter, technology could leap so much with the information we gain.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

If I die, I'm gonna be REALLY pissed.

:lol:

I think you got that from South Park.

Anyway, if the odds outweigh the risks I say go for it. It'd be extremely interesting to watch, also... seeing as it is 17 miles long, I don't even know how it costs 8 billion dollars, you'd think it would cost about 10x more, at least I would think.

I'm willing to bet money that this does not destroy the world and we all die. If i lose, I will pay you within 1 working week :D

That would suck for both of us if there really was an afterlife.

OMG.. I just brought religion into this. :wall:

I'm agreeing with loser, you really couldn't help but laugh if you were to see the world and your existence coming to and end within the next few moments. I will be sure to laugh as hard as I can if there is some quirk of Physics and everything does get destroyed.

But, I know that nothing wil happen. I'm also hoping it answers some big questions, like supersymettry. That could very well make communication instaneous, think how much that would help space exploration.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

It's gonna be activated two hours from this post. Assassin is correct though, all this will reveal is some information about stuff like dark matter.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Aww... I'm still staying up to see how it goes. I'm pretty excited about this - always have been interested in this kind of thing. I gotta say, though, if I knew I was going to die in fifteen minutes or something, I'd just kinda hang out, be with people I loved, and have a hell of a time for fifteen minutes. If there's nothing you could do about it, just have fun, right? =P

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

New particles of matter are expected to be discovered, new dimensions found beyond the four known, as scientists re-create conditions in the first BILLIONTHS of a second after the Big Bang.

Wow, Epic Fail, there are 10 known dimensions, the 10th is were a point is equal to infinite to the power of infinite, therefore no 11th and staying at 10 :shame:

This LHC=Black hole is total BS there's a 1 in 50 million chance of this happening. The black hole created is weak, REALLY weak, 10 to the power of 25 weaker than normal gravity.

Having an Bachelor Degree knowledge of physics at 14 is fun :D

Also, Right now their only...how do i say this....their CHARGIN THEIR LAZORS ;) , i think they'll FIRE THEIR LAZORS next week :?

Also, if you have NO idea of whats going on Watch this,

faiyaz101.png

Unfairly Banned-Appeal In Process, Its been slow due to the sheer number of them

Anyone here dead?

I'm not.

I'm still standing. It's been three hours since the start, so yeah, by now something should've happened.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Hah! Google turned their logo into the LHC. Check out their homepage. I giggled. ::'

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.