Atom Smasher

Tribal

Search feature to the rescue. Was about to make a new topic, even though this was on the first page :?

They are conducting a test of the LHC on this wednesday, September 10th. The are going to attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC. The first high-energy collision is planned for October 21st.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing of it this way for all you doomsayers:

On one hand, theres a chance, a small one, that our favorite mascot, Fluffy the Upstate Bulldogs air particle, will get devoured.

On the other foot, there's the chance of discovering Higgens Bosson or what it's called, giving us the potential to create things such as gravity guns, gravity discs, hover craft, and other such super awesome things.

Ok, don't go that far yet. Let's discover the God particle first before we get inventing ways to use it.

Bah; stop calling it the "god particle". It doesn't even make any sense.

IRKAa.jpg

Sweet, in hopes of the world ending I won't do any homework this week.

I doubt that a black hole powerful enough will be made, perhaps several smaller ones but nothing that hasn't happened on Earth before.

If we do all die, that would have to be the most epic way to go, who else in the history of the world has died from a black hole?

1z2zrwo.jpg

It's worth mentioning that the actual experiments start in October. Wednesday is the day it goes 'live', but I don't think any actual smashing will occur.

And tbh, if we do die, I don't really know what happens in a black hole, but don't you just get sucked/ripped apart? We won't feel anything?

Interesting thought, I have given it some consideration. Some stories say that if a black hole is created then the world will be sucked up in an instant. Most of those stories, however, are from stupid tabloid newspapers and are mostly fictitious.

The more probable outcome if a black hole is created is that it will take roughly 4 days for the Earth to be swallowed up. It's here that it becomes interesting. Do we start to circle around and around in a photon sphere? This could be very disturbing, since, according to what I've read, there is an outside chance of some matter moving around the photon sphere (which surrounds the hole itself) for a potentially infinite amount of time, until at some point the black hole grows/has enough gravitational pull, to pull you into itself. Obviously, flying around and around a black hole for a few days knowing your impending doom is hardly a comforting thought.

And what happens if you "fell" into a black hole? Where there is no time or space? Do we all become part of the "singularity"? Or, do we keep our shape and matter within the hole itself (we don't know "Where" the hole is), and stay there in a kind of limbo?

Duckie_Wins.png

We discussed this today in Physics, it was pretty good and I thought of something. If this experiment is trying to recreate the Big Bang, then could that mean that we could create a new mini-universe within the collider? Then I thought of scale and a load of other factors, so I think it's impossible. We shall see...

My Last.Fm

LeekSpinner!!!

Random Furry Dance!!!

Proud to hate life, since not too long ago!!!

We discussed this today in Physics, it was pretty good and I thought of something. If this experiment is trying to recreate the Big Bang, then could that mean that we could create a new mini-universe within the collider? Then I thought of scale and a load of other factors, so I think it's impossible. We shall see...

I believe it creates the conditions just after the Big Bang, not the BB itself? :?

It would be fun to create a new universe in a vaccum.

You could just poke your thumb through a dimension.. And crush. Bye bye 2nd Universe.

Duckie_Wins.png

I can guarantee you that we're not going to die... If I am right, then I will be here to gladly accept my title of the "wise TIF prophet". If I am wrong then there won't be anyone left to point and laugh at me anyways.

The more probable outcome if a black hole is created is that it will take roughly 4 days for the Earth to be swallowed up. It's here that it becomes interesting. Do we start to circle around and around in a photon sphere? This could be very disturbing, since, according to what I've read, there is an outside chance of some matter moving around the photon sphere (which surrounds the hole itself) for a potentially infinite amount of time, until at some point the black hole grows/has enough gravitational pull, to pull you into itself. Obviously, flying around and around a black hole for a few days knowing your impending doom is hardly a comforting thought.

And what happens if you "fell" into a black hole? Where there is no time or space? Do we all become part of the "singularity"? Or, do we keep our shape and matter within the hole itself (we don't know "Where" the hole is), and stay there in a kind of limbo?

If you can't be bothered to read all of the following, just click this shiny blue link here and enjoy the BBC show about black holes.

But if you do, just use your imagination: a black hole is nothing more than mass, compressed to the very limit of what's physically possible. If it starts to take shape, things go fast, though it won't happen in a blink of an eye, like you said. The world will probably shake itself apart, the entire landmass will break into pieces because it is sucked towards one point. All of us will no doubt be dead pretty soon after it started, simply because of the enormous earthquakes, tidal waves, spewing lava and emitted gasses.

If you imagine an invisible and tiny, but incredibly strong vacuum cleaner, sucking up everything in its reach, then you've got the idea of what a black hole is. It's definitely not a hole, it's a ball of dense mass. It's just called a black hole, because it looks like an infinite pitch black hole, since it even sucks up light.

Real black holes are actually just dead giant stars, that have burned out completely, which results in an immense explosion (after it burns out) and if the explosion is big enough, the star's core implodes with such a force, that all distance between electrons, protons and neutrons (which is normally [relatively] huge) collapses to nothing at all. That way, the core of the star still has all the gravitational strength it had before, but it's packed in a dense ball, billions of times smaller than the original star. So there you have it: a once huge star, now a tiny dead star, floating around into space, invisible until it reaches something that it can pull in. Then it becomes visible, because the matter of whatever it sucks in, can be seen pulled towards it, and part of it is spewed out lightyears away, like a ray of light. Whenever it consumes another star it happened to come across, it just becomes more powerful, because the weight of the star it sucks in adds to the gravitational strength of the black hole.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I betcha that the Church (no offence) are the "Anti-CERN" people. They must have exaggerated the truth to make it sound like if impeding Doom was coming and tried to get people to Protest with them. I'm sure that these scientist at CERN are Smart people (if they are not then, WTF??). They will PROBABLY have a Failsafe or something, or the chances of this "Black Hole" Happening are slim.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

Be pretty ironic if this is how Universes are actually created. For instance, say 13.7 billion years ago a civilisation turned on their LHC and created our Universe, destroying theirs in the process.

while this is soo unlikely, it is an awesome idea lol.

Id really prefer to not die to this but at least its a cool death

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I can guarantee you that we're not going to die... If I am right, then I will be here to gladly accept my title of the "wise TIF prophet". If I am wrong then there won't be anyone left to point and laugh at me anyways.

I'm out.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

A whole day of listening to "OMG we're all going to die tomorrow at 3 o'clock!" at school was so annoying. How can you believe they'd be allowed to do the experiment if there was only a 3/4 chance we'd survive through it. #-o

A whole day of listening to "OMG we're all going to die tomorrow at 3 o'clock!" at school was so annoying. How can you believe they'd be allowed to do the experiment if there was only a 3/4 chance we'd survive through it.

You, my friend, just described my day. It was sooo annoying. So annoying that me and a group of friends have already planned what were gonna do tommorow, shout "Ha! We're alive!"

What sad lives we have :twss:

According to a most likely unlikely source there are meant to be 85 countries taking part. And i'm sure as hell 85 countries of the world wouldn't put absolutely EVERYTHING at risk for this if they knew it wasn't safe. Of course we're not gonna die. Althought if we do die it will be so fast we won't know it's happened.

Well obviously we'll be dead but you can't think when your dead...

Li Chef

/m\_(-.-)_/m\

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is any way a sign of lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just [bleep]ing lunacy" ~ Stephen Fry

LuMengjr.jpg

A whole day of listening to "OMG we're all going to die tomorrow at 3 o'clock!" at school was so annoying. How can you believe they'd be allowed to do the experiment if there was only a 3/4 chance we'd survive through it.

You, my friend, just described my day. It was sooo annoying. So annoying that me and a group of friends have already planned what were gonna do tommorow, shout "Ha! We're alive!"

According to a most likely unlikely source there are meant to be 85 countries taking part. And i'm sure as hell 85 countries of the world wouldn't put absolutely EVERYTHING at risk for this if they knew it wasn't safe. Of course we're not gonna die. Althought if we do die it will be so fast we won't know it's happened.

Li Chef

I think '85 countries taking part' means that the scientists come from 85 different countries, I know it's only actually funded by the richer/larger ones.

I wonder what's going to happen at school tomorrow... Quick, at what time are they going to activate it? (GMT)

Oh, and Zierro, you may claim the title of 'Wise tif Prophet' after it's activated and we're not dead. Actually, it would be a bit difficult if we were dead. :-k

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Li Chef

I must be lucky. Nobody at my school mentioned it. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody even knew.....

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

If the scientists are trying to split atoms, won't they just be nuking themselves and caving in a few french alps?

I think we humans are a couple hundred years away from anything like this.

My legions of fans:

thestigclipboard.png

If the scientists are trying to split atoms, won't they just be nuking themselves and caving in a few french alps?

I think we humans are a couple hundred years away from anything like this.

1)no

2)even they were splitting atoms they wouldn't be splitting friggin uranium

3)if they did split uranium, they wouldn't make it so it starts a chain reaction.

Nobody at my school mentioned it either. Can anybody say when the LHC is starting

It happens tomorrow! :ohnoes:

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I asked my Chem teacher about this today, and she didn't know anything about it. And everybody is like, "See you in heaven."

I just wanna yell out "GOOD GAME SCIENTISTS" when our world is being oblitherated. I would find it worth using my outdoor voice.

EDIT: I'm kidding about the second part though. I know nothing'll happen.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P