LOL's & Their Place in Society

Forerunner

lol - It's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations. (www.urbandictionary.com)

Does this word even mean anything anymore? It's used so many times ingame that it's beggining to lose all meaning. Sometimes I wonder; if a person replies with the word lol to you after you finish a sentence, are they amused with it? Or are they just too damn lazy to type out a proper reply?

It's like:

Hey, my cat died.

Lol.

Anybody else had experiences with this word?

+ I'm not sure if this should be in Questionnares or not. :S

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the site u put down is forbidden, but i do agree that lol is used even though the person isnt really laughing irl. i sort of use lol as like a little chuckle or smile. anything that is funny. i use rofl when it really did make me laugh in real life. and i honestly dont use lmao.

I have a friend who pretty much sandwiches every sentence he types with lols.

lol how r u m8t lol

I find lol is just a standard response to something that someone has said that could be considered funny, but not enough to actually make me laugh.

Strangely enough, if something actually makes me laugh I'll respond with 'lmao' or 'rofl', rather than just 'lol'.

spacescenev24.jpg

Lolwut.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the word "lol" mean "fun" in Dutch? I distinctly remember a Dutch guy in runescape talking to me about that.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Lolwut.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the word "lol" mean "fun" in Dutch? I distinctly remember a Dutch guy in runescape talking to me about that.

yeah if something is funny you can say it's lollig in dutch. when I first got on the internet I wondered why everyone knew that dutch word :thumbsup:

OkamiSig.jpg

I sometimes used lol when I wanted to tone down the harshness of a comment when talking to someone online so we don't start a flame war.

"That's the stupidest idea ever lol"

"Don't be a moron lol"

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU??? lol"

I remember abusing lol this way when I was a newbie to runescape because I was afraid I'd get banned or something if I offended someone. Today I am unafraid to speak my views regardless of how you feel about it. You're all idiots. Lol. And I meant the lol this time.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

What ever happened to just typing "haha" or "hehe" to show that you find something amusing. Extend with a few extra "ha"s depending on how funny you perceive it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of internet abbreviations either. Whenever (fairly rare these days) I do log on on MSN (never used anything else for chatting), I tend to just type out whatever I want to say.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Yeah, lol is pretty much a useless space filler in most parts of the internet. I never thought about the overuse of it that much though. I didn't see it as a big deal, it was just more of response that you gave when nothing else really fit.

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

I think it's often used as to show a "laugh" at the beginning of a sentence. Meaning that when someone says "Lol, that sucks dude" they're doing one of those things where they kind of laugh during the sentence but are still serious.

It's also used just to show someone thinks something is funny. Not necessarily that someone is actually laughing (despite the fact that lol actually means "laugh out loud").

Eh, there are two ways that I see it used; first, as an expression of mild amusement, and second, as a placefiller, so if someone wants to make it sound like they said more, or if they want to fill in awkward silences, they just 'lol'.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

What ever happened to just typing "haha" or "hehe" to show that you find something amusing. Extend with a few extra "ha"s depending on how funny you perceive it.

That's usually what I do nowadays, but I do throw in the occasional "lol", "lmao" or "rofl".

Yeah, I'm not a fan of internet abbreviations either. Whenever (fairly rare these days) I do log on on MSN (never used anything else for chatting), I tend to just type out whatever I want to say.

It also has the swell benefit of making you sound like a sensible person instead of a little child.

2009rb9.jpg

I used to 'lol' a lot a couple of years ago. Sometimes, I even said it in real life, but that was also because it means fun in Dutch. Still, I never said lol in real life before I went on runescape. Since two years or something I have kind of dropped it and just say haha or hehe on the internet. And I never say 'lol' in real life anymore.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Lol nah doesn't mean much nowadays.

Makes me wonder what I should say if I think it is funny.

I use 'haha' and 'lol' when I can't really think of anything else to say, or occasioanally just to spice up a sentence a little.

If you think that something is really funny, I'd suggest a rofl or a lmao

dane_lennon.png

lol is the internets first meme, it lost all it's meaning.

lol

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.