Kent's guide to Slayer mastery! NEW SECTION!!!

Inuashakent

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, did Darksin ever send you my review/editing of your guide? I'd check myself but I'm too lazy to read it again.

I don' think so...

And bob, I have no idea. The problem is, I don't really remember about low level slaying ~70 combat. I would personally skip it, though.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

how about bronze dragons? i have mid-70s combat stats with 63 mage. I got this as a task, and dont know what i should do. should i just get a new one, or do it? and if so, mage or melee? nice guide btw.

You'll want to skip bronzes. They were dull and boring for me when I got them at 126 combat.

Wonderful, wonderful guide as always, Kent =D> . I'll be sure to use this in my slayer training. I really need to get it up. :P

I give this a definite 10/10, despite the grammatical mistakes that I've found. This reason I do this? I don't believe it's quite humanly possible to be perfectly, utterly grammatically correct without looking over a large document at least several times. I'll be sure to address these errors in the following (I've done the parts from Food to Torso):

Here, I will discuss all commonly used foods, and tell you which to use. In order of how much they cure.

I'd recommend you correct the layout of the entire sentence, as you use too much punctuation and separate sentences that are closely linked information-wise to each other. Some like this would work: "Here, I will discuss all commonly used foods, telling you which to use in order of how much each cures."

However, they have less of a delay then other foods. (Just for eating another food, not attacking again.)

Comparisons use "than", while "then" is used when talking about differences in time. Also, move your parenthesized sentence inside the previous one, removing the capital "Just" and the period.

Same case as Manta ray, they are too expensive.

The plural form of "Manta ray" is "Manta rays". Also, because you abruptly finished the first statement "Same case as Manta ray" without completely ending your sentence, I'd recommend you use a semicolon rather than a comma.

I would only use this if you are fighting a boss, which youre never going to while youre hunting for charms.

Would is past tense, therefore requiring the following helping verb to be past tense. Change "you are" into "you were". Change all "you's" into "I's" to keep the sentence consistent. I'd recommend the following sentence: "One should only use this fighting a boss, which one would never do while hunting for charms."

Their price is a mix of the two. However, that isn't what makes them wonderful.

Try not to use "however" at the beginning of the sentence, rather, incorporate the two sentences together using it as a conjunction. The revised sentence would be as follows: "Their price is a mix of the two, however, that isn't what makes them wonderful."

but it is pretty handy at some places like... bounty hunter.

Easy correction: "Bounty Hunter" should be capitalized.

This is a very good food to use when youre ranging, and barely getting damaged, which means while you are using safespots.

This type of sentence is regarded as a run-on sentence in the grammar community, as it links statements that don't have much to do with each other into one sentence with commas. I'd recommend "This is a very good food to use when you're ranging and barely getting damaged (meaning you're using safespots)."

GP/Hitpoints cure

You have two choices. Either use "GP/Hitpoints Cure Ratio" or "GP/Hitpoints Ratio" as "cure" would be an inadequate word to use.

Gives good Attack bonus, and comes at a cheap cost.

The comma used in this sentence is unneeded, although it can be used. You would need to use the article "an" before "Attack bonus" in the sentence.

(little strength, too)

Same as before, use the article "a" before "strength".

If you have a task that doesn't require defense (Portection prayers) then use this instead of the Super attack potion.

Just a little typo, it's (although I'm sure you know how to spell it :P ) "Protection prayers". Also, capitalize "defense" to stay consistent. In previous sentences, skills and the first word of items were capitalized.

A common argument against is that you should use a Dragon battle axe special. However, this requires you to DDS or SGS specials.

I recommend "A common argument against using this prayer is that one should instead use the Dragon battle axe special. However, this would require you to also use the DDS or SGS special. " Special is singular because the conjunction "or" is used.

Use this if you want range bonus

Stay consistent. Capitalize "range" and changed it into the past tense form used to recognize the skill Ranged. Also, add the article "a" before "range".

This heals HP, Summoning points, Defense, and Prayer, but doesn't give stat increases.

Again, consistency, consistency, consistency. HP should be spelled out. Also, "points" is not needed after "Summoning" and a semicolon or no punctuation at all should be used after "Prayer" instead of a period.

Well, when I said prayer I can bet 99% of you just thought Melee protection! or something along the lines of that. Well, no.

You've already used "Well," several times previously, and you use this to begin a sentence twice in a row, making the phrase much to repetitive. I'd recommend you simply delete the "Well," in the first sentence.

Well, its great, to say the least.

The "Well," here is unneeded and repetitive.

It may not help as much as, say, Cannon, but the effect is definite

"Cannon" should either be put into a plural form or the article "a" should be added before it.

P.S. If you're annoyed (for whatever reason) by these corrections, just give me the heads up and I won't post anymore.

P.S.S. If you need any further clarification on why I've made these corrections, just post so and I'll explain.

P.S.S.S. I'll post this first to allow you to correct some stuff. I'll write the rest later.

r2kuft.gif

Click Here for my RSOF 99 Construction G&A thread! Post your support!

Try not to use "however" at the beginning of the sentence, rather, incorporate the two sentences together using it as a conjunction. The revised sentence would be as follows: "Their price is a mix of the two, however, that isn't what makes them wonderful."

Actually, that one's fine. "However" isn't a coordinating conjunction, and as such, a comma would be incorrect here. You'd either keep the current version or change the period to a semicolon.

Actually, that one's fine. "However" isn't a coordinating conjunction, and as such, a comma would be incorrect here. You'd either keep the current version or change the period to a semicolon.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the heads up! ::'

EDIT: Ah yes. I've realized my mistake. "However" would be considered a subordinate clause and is used at the beginning of a sentence with a comma following. How I love English...

r2kuft.gif

Click Here for my RSOF 99 Construction G&A thread! Post your support!

3) Teleport to Ardougne, and head south to the docks. Pay him 30 gp, and go south-east a little to the cart. Hell ask you to pay depending on how much money you have. Just bring less than 200 gp (The money you have on you. His maximum payment is very little).

Everytime i go to him, even with cannon in invent, he asks 10 gp..

not more not less...

fix it ;)

Suquas(0)?

never heard of them

it should be Sugah or in multi Sugah's

=)

afroman103ow6.jpg

Natural Chemist: To addicting

http://www.naturalchemist.com/?ref=robkuh1990

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this guide and already bookmarked it in Firefox, just as you're summon guide brought me to 70 and will bring me to 80+

This guide is the most in-dept slayer guide i've ever seen, altough i don't agree with some of you're statements. Still great guide and this is definitly going to bring me to 85+ slay!

9/10 \' =D>

Account created:2/01/'08 Months Played: 11!!

Check out my guide on getting 13m Exp!

siggycopyjj5ml0.jpg

115 CB | 99 Fletch | 99 cook | 99 Ranged | 99 Fm | 99 Fish | 1800+ Total

Dragon drops: 2 Meds ;; 1 Skirt ;; 2 Legs ;; 1 Shield

Chikens lay strong eggs when they think a day counts 28 hours...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent guide!

A thing to add, the Aberrant Spectres in the Slayer Well DO drop Mystic bottoms, posting my pic here:

ASpectrestrip.png

I realize it isn't "proof" as such, but I think it's fairly obvious that they can be dropped there.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like your guide.

I always check up your guide when I get a new task.

Maybe a little note is that you can show more setups for more tasks.

Other than that a great guide.

Nice build, great information.

9/10, -1 for the reason above ;)

99 Magic; achieved on 4-4-2009.

85 Slayer; achieved on 6-8-2009.

99 Defence; achieved on 14-8-2009.

99 Constitution; achieved on 12-3-2013.

99 Attack; achieved on 12-5-2013.

99 Slayer; achieved on 21-6-2013.

I came, I saw, I ran away.

osiris_1993.png

• 3 weeks later...
[hide=Skeletal wyverns(72)]They are actually pretty Strength, so be prepared. A Dragonfire shield is extremely helpful, but of course, along with every other expensive item in the game, they are unnecessary. Mind shields are more than enough, and can be purchased at the Grand exchange for a few measly gps.[/hide]

You put strength instead of strong btw nice guide AoW pl0x? amazing information and depth :thumbsup:

Banjo_3100.png

I have revived this guide.

Should I update anything?

Now that you mention it, this is something trivial at best, but deserves a spot and can be used against all of those who say "slayer is useless".

Ring of Slayer Id personally get this first. The ring of slayer helps for those who like slaying Abyssal demons at the Slayer tower, or just like it there. There really isnt any great benefits of the ring, except that it teleports you Straight Sumona. So if you use Sumona and dont use NPC contact, you may want to bump this to top 2 priorities, or even mix this in along with enough point to cancel tasks.

The underlined statement is totally wrong. There are eons of uses for the ring, here are just a few:

1) Fastest Fairy Ring tele, and therefore also the fastest way to Zanaris

2) Fastest tele to Tower, but only useful in high-end slayer for Nechs and Abbys

3) Sumona tele, which you mentioned

4) BEST tele to Desert. Ties with Sceptre with speed, but beats in cost and usefulness of location

5) Shaves loads of time off getting Salve Ammy (e)s back

6) Also the fastest way to Terrordogs, if you ever get those

7) Fastest way to Canafis for those who have not completed Desert Treasure or are using normal/lunar mage and do not have the Kharyll portal

8) House teleports for only 20gp each tele (if house is in Polly)

9) Doubles as a Slayer Gem, needing less clicks and potentially saving 1 invent spot.

Now to be fair, it's not too useful for high-end slayers. But lower and medium-end slayers will go through tons of these, and Questers, Star Hunters, and the like will also love it. So the Slayer Ring is EXTREMELY useful. Tbh, the best thing to buy with the points is...

1) 400 points for blocking tasks

2) Store points to block~3-5 tasks

3) Learn to make Slayer Helm/Slayer Ring

4) Learn to make the other one

5) Slayer Dart Runes for the rest of your life

Skip learning to make the bolts entirely. It's completely worthless. The xp isn't anything great, and fletching xp isn't worth very much anyway.

Not to mention that the Rings are also ASSISTABLE, so 75 crafting isn't even a requirement. All you need is a high-level friend or a little luck on RSOF or TIF finding someone. Then you just make 100-200 of the rings and you're set for a few months. I had a friend assist me about a year ago during the summer. I made 100 rings. My membership ended early this year and I literally blazed through my storage of rings. They're just SO useful. In fact, for the high-level slayers with money, Slayer Rings may be worth more than the Slayer helm, depending on what your non-slayer lifestyle is and how you go about getting your points.

Plus, you can't say that they "waste an inventory space" since if you ever really need the spot, you can use equip the ring or just drop it knowing all you've left behind is a piece of metal worth like 100gp.

You might want to add that for a lot of tasks you can just wear full proselyte even if you only 10% with 90+ Defence. Verac's skirt + Proselyte plate is good for all the (single combat) others. Except for nechs because their spawns hit so hard.

A bit more info on which tasks to skip/ block would be good too. You say you block kalphites but don't say why. Kalphites are great xp and the slayer helm allows more efficient KQ solos :P . There are also some inconsistenties (sp?). In the bloodveld guide you say you recommend piety+ cannon, and then you say 10% praying isn't very effective because the cannon will be doing a lot of the work. But those are just minor things. Awsome guide, I've used it a lot in my journey to 90 Slayer (which is not over yet). I blame you for my huge prayer potion consumption, I pray every task because of you :P .

Oh and as for combat familiar use, titans are really good at dusties because you can't use guthans there and have to use a healing familiar otherwise.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

one thing about the Suqah section

as far as i know there is no astral tab, i may be wrong about that. but i am pretty sure there is such a thing at least from GOP

there may be some kind of other astral tab that i dont know about but would love to.

EDIT: my mistake they do exist omg :wall:

other then that 10/10

also you spelled "Suqah" wrong, you spelled suquah #-o

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Great guide!

Persuaded me to get Cannon and owned on my first Aberrant Spectre Task!

Just to clarify and confirm, the Aberrant Specs in Smokey Well do drop the Mystic Bottom.

Proof:

[hide=Abby Specs]09-05-31123905.jpg[/hide]

Thanks for the all the help!

(Sorry for the poor quality on the pic :lol: )

Darkman_X_99.png

Darkman_X_99.png

99 WC - 12/20/08! =D

99 Defence - 6/19/09! 44,012 to reach it!

Aiming for 2000 Total Lvl!

Awesome guide 10/10.

It has everything you need to know and more, and its simple to read + contains summoning information :D

Just a small notice on the dagnotth (sp?) guide.

You use a games necklace to get to the Barbarian Outpost, not a dueling ring :lol:.

Still awesome guide, but if you get 99 range, is it still worth using a cannon to speed up kills, since range xp after 99 is sorta worthless?

Ss4goku264.png

ss4goku264.png