Grades, GPA's; How do you do in School?

Igor

As long as I get better than a 3.0, I'm fine at graduation, because I can likely get most of a scholarship somewhere nice. And I can hopefully get a student loan by that time.

Lol, what? Yeah right lol. Are you a minority or a woman? Scholarships are not as rampant as people make them out to be; that is of course unless you lie about things like religion, nationality, or any other assorted things.

You forget that somewhere nice to me is a local community college. :o

And I am part Cherokee...

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as I get better than a 3.0, I'm fine at graduation, because I can likely get most of a scholarship somewhere nice. And I can hopefully get a student loan by that time.

Lol, what? Yeah right lol. Are you a minority or a woman? Scholarships are not as rampant as people make them out to be; that is of course unless you lie about things like religion, nationality, or any other assorted things.

You forget that somewhere nice to me is a local community college. :o

And I am part Cherokee...

Oh, how much? There's bound to be a ton of non-competitive scholarships for you if it's enough to be considered "Cherokee".

I just wanted to let you know so you don't get your hopes up. So many people think they're going to get scholarships, but they're really aren't many out there for the majority of students that aren't competitive. I think I read in the NYTimes that approximately 87% of parents expect their children to receive grants/scholarships, and only 13% do.

Yeah 3.0 is a solid B average, I don't see how that is bad by any means.

Than again, as always, most people on TIF have a GPA of 4.0 or higher. Who woulda thought?

I think it's because 99% of teachers up to 10th grade or so give out mainly A's and B's. So we think the average is a B+ or so, rather than a C.

Which is okay, I guess. I mean, teachers don't want to give out many F's. Neither good for the student or for the teacher. But honestly, straight A's is nothing special any more. :?

Yep, that's a big issue for my school too. Teachers are too inclined to give out artificially high scores in order to make them look like better teachers. But how can you convince a teacher to make it look like their entire class is lagging behind everyone else?

I haven't been given a grade yet, but I'll know some solid ones in a week or two.

I never knew how exactly the '4.0 scale' in America worked until now, we just get 5 different grades in AS, but strangely enough it's going to be expanded to six grades (adding in A*) for A2. I guess you learn something new every day.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Oh, how much? There's bound to be a ton of non-competitive scholarships for you if it's enough to be considered "Cherokee".

Eh, I've tried, and because legally my great-grandfather left the tribe, the rest of our lineage isn't in the running.

It sucks, I could have gotten at least half of a tuition at a decent school.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The British system pretty much just works on letter denoted grades at GCSE ranging from G -> A*. Then at AS and A2 level (A-level) you take multiple modular exams each (very roughly) out of 100 UMS marks. So you take three for an AS level in the subject and 6 for an A2 level in it. 480/600 and above is an A at A2, and the system just works from U (fail) starting again at E -> A.

to add to this,

percentage wise

U = 0-40%

E = 40-50%

D = 50-60%

C = 60-70%

B = 70-80%

A = 80-90%

A* = 90+ %.

thats a rough guide. I know its right for sciences, but I have no idea if its 100% accurate for other subjects.

Currently I'm aiming for at least a B in my next set of modules (January). We dont really have a constant grading system here. You dont know what you've got until you get your results back a month or two after the exam.

In america, is there any kind of standardization for GPA or whatever, or does it differ completely from school to school?

Tk5SF.png

Just started my freshman year, have somewhere between a 3.6 and a 4.0, more like 3.95 though, have only gotten one A- so far. Since my school starts giving letter grades in 3rd grade, I have gotten all A's and A-'s since then and don't intend to stop now.

The British system pretty much just works on letter denoted grades at GCSE ranging from G -> A*. Then at AS and A2 level (A-level) you take multiple modular exams each (very roughly) out of 100 UMS marks. So you take three for an AS level in the subject and 6 for an A2 level in it. 480/600 and above is an A at A2, and the system just works from U (fail) starting again at E -> A.

to add to this,

percentage wise

U = 0-40%

E = 40-50%

D = 50-60%

C = 60-70%

B = 70-80%

A = 80-90%

A* = 90+ %.

thats a rough guide. I know its right for sciences, but I have no idea if its 100% accurate for other subjects.

Currently I'm aiming for at least a B in my next set of modules (January). We dont really have a constant grading system here. You dont know what you've got until you get your results back a month or two after the exam.

In america, is there any kind of standardization for GPA or whatever, or does it differ completely from school to school?

Adding some more:

Every unit at A-level is worth a certain amount of UMS points, but all the units in the AS year add up to 300, and the same amount in the A2 year, adding up to 600 - the amount of units and what they are each worth depends on the subject. (At GCSE the amount of UMS points per module, and overall differs massively from subject to subject depending how much coursework there is etc)

The A* at A level doesn't actually "exist" yet, it's only starting for people just beginning their AS year now. Also the A* isn't actually 90%+, it's 80%+ overall with 90%+ in all A2 units - i.e. it's possible to get 210/300 UMS overall in AS (a C), then get 90% (270/300 UMS) in all A2 units, giving 480/600 UMS for the full A-level, and get an A* with "just" 80% overall, whereas someone with 100% in every single unit but one 100-UMS A2 unit where they get 89%, with 589/600 UMS would "just" get an A even though they had ~98% UMS. (these are both extreme examples btw)

Also the % of UMS marks per grade is consistent across all A-level subjects (at 80% = A, 70% = B etc), but at GCSE it's all over the place from subject to subject (generally around 85% = A*, 75% = A etc for things like Maths and English though - but for some stuff like Art it's something like 99% for an A* :shock:)

That's interesting about the A* thing at A level. We're not having them because we've already had a year, but it seems like quite a strange way to calculate it. Oxbridge aren't even bothering to consider them yet since they don't know how representative they are. Cambridge ask for all your individual UMS marks anyway.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I had a 3.8 in high school, but a lot of people who had over a 4.0 were dumb as crap. One girl who had a 4.2 scored 900 on the SAT and had no common sense whatsoever. GPA doesn't determine a person's true ability and really doesn't matter once you get into college, unless you plan on applying to a medical school, business school etc.

I get pretty much straight A's and as a perfectionist if I get a B I feel I've failed.

However for me School is immensely dull and immensely easy, and I can't wait to go to Sixth Form and hopefully university, where I can study what I like, which challenges me. :D

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

I get pretty much straight A's and as a perfectionist if I get a B I feel I've failed.

However for me School is immensely dull and immensely easy, and I can't wait to go to Sixth Form and hopefully university, where I can study what I like, which challenges me. :D

I used to feel like that too, I wouldnt say I've become a slacker, but I'm not as bothered about getting overly high marks as I used to be. Considering that beforehand I spent maybe half an hour socializing (including MMOs, MSN, ect) a day, outside of school, and the rest working, I think lowering my grades slightly, and spending more time out with friends is an improvement. I'm just saying, your perspective on work may well change as you get higher up.

Tk5SF.png

I usually get 85s in most classes. But i dont know, i'm finding school more boring and hard to focus so im at a 79 average :(.

Although its not too bad because i have all my hard subjects (physics, chemistry, math and accounting (which is a lot of work)) this semester.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

My average is 85%, which is fairly good at my school (the teachers are notoriously tough). %/GPA is a load of crap though, because I know a lot of people who go to an insanely easy school and get 85+ in almost any subject (they have no penalty for late assignments, they get zero homework, courses are easy, teachers are very lax, and if they're unhappy with a test, they can re-write with no penalty).

jjroxlu7.jpg

I had a 3.5 last quarter. I was only down because I slacked off big time in PAP Pre-Calculus and made a 36% F. This quarter, I'm actually doing my homework for Pre-Cal and I hope to drag my GPA closer to a 4.0. I took AP World History last year, and this year, I'm taking AP US History. I believe my AP World grade was a B. However, we all failed the AP exam because we weren't prepared enough. (The teacher just had us watch ghost videos every Friday, and we spent about a week watching Memoirs of a Geisha.) In my AP US History class, my average is right at 90.0%.

It's okay, I guess. I'm a junior and I'll have 21.5 credits out of 24 by the end of this year. Next year, I'm mainly taking college courses so I can gain concurrent credit. I have taken French I and French II, Spanish I and am currently in Spanish II. I plan to take German this summer. I really hate the fact that I'm only familiar with these languages and I have to spend a few nights' worth of reviewing when I go for a period of time without speaking the language. However, I can usually read and get the main idea of it without too much difficulty. It's harder for me to freely speak it, but my pronunciation is fairly decent and I can read it without too much of a problem. I suppose that's typical when you only take 2 years in each language, though. I really want to be a fluent French speaker. I'm only taking German for the heck of it.

OT: Does anyone have any suggestions for becoming fluent?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Had a 3.67 GPA last year (freshman year)

This year I'm gonna try and push myself, I've got a 3.87 GPA so far for the first marking period (yea, i calculated my GPA for the marking period... >.>)

Getting an A in an AP class has its perks, especially that nice 1.0 that gets added :P

[94/99 Ranged][87/99 HP][80/85 Def][70/70 Pray]

Just to add another way of grading to the thread

University grades go:

1st - 70% +

2.1 - 60-69%

2.2 - 50-59%

3rd - 40-49%

Anything below = fail

Never had an essay below a high 2.1, and plenty of 1sts :D

Uhhh we grade it differently in New Zealand

(Not Achieved, Achieved, Merit, Excellence)

I get Merit - Excellence.

So... 3-4?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Well, since everyone's sharing, I graduated with something like a 4.2 cumulative GPA. My school only offered like 7 AP classes, so I took them all plus one online. We had no honors classes either :( . I graduated 1 of like 450ish. And the scale varies so much from school to school, that it is very difficult to make comparisons. For example, my school's GPA scale was as follows:

AP Classes:

A - 5.0

B - 4.0

C - 3.0

D - 1.0

F - 0.0

Normal:

A - 4.0

B - 3.0

C - 2.0

D -1.0

F - 0.0

And the grading scale, in percentages:

100-93 : A

92-85 : B

84-77 : C

76-70 : D

Below 70 : F

Whoah goodness. Those percentages are crazy. In my school, it goes as follows:

A= 100-90

B=89-80

C=79-70

D=69-60

F=59 and Below

But anyway.. I have a 4.0+ GPA in 11th Grade. Im not sure on the exact figure since I havent received my transcript, but I have an A in my 2 AP classes that Im taking \' (AP Language/Composition and AP Human Geography) I've never gotten below an A on my report card in my life :thumbsup: ... And i plan on staying that way.

1icyna.png

Straight A's so far, I dont think I can can keep that up though, I'm to dang lazy.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

3.798 Rank 31 out of 464 of my Senior class atm. Pisses me off.

Wow.. that's a pretty low gpa around here... in order to be rank 31 you would have to have a gpa of about 4.2-4.3..

(Our AP courses go up to 5.0 and honors up to 4.5, but anything below a C = gpa of 0.0)

josh181830.png

3.798 Rank 31 out of 464 of my Senior class atm. Pisses me off.

Wow.. that's a pretty low gpa around here... in order to be rank 31 you would have to have a gpa of about 4.2-4.3..

(Our AP courses go up to 5.0 and honors up to 4.5, but anything below a C = gpa of 0.0)

Oh, yea, we only get like +.464 for an A in an AP class. Kinda sucks, otherwise I would have close to a 4.0.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

My grades are A's to B+'s, and yea I live in America if that helps. I don't tend to have enough motivation to do my smaller homework, but I do excellent on my tests, and projects, and my grade is often reflected mostly from my tests, and those projects so :P

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.