How do you study?

warri0r45

Whether it's for uni or school, what's your preferred method of studying?

I've recently got into the habit of going over lecture notes and typing key points/important parts into a word file. I then print these notes out a few weeks before the end of semester test so I can go over them again. Some of the benefits I find in this method is that I go over the material at least twice (once in class and once when typing it out again), and I can also spend time to grapple with parts I might not be able to understand and type them up in my own words.

What about you guys? Perhaps we can all get something out of this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look up key terms of the subject I'm studying on the internet, preferably Wikipedia since it has lots and lots of useful information. I find that it's easier for something to stick with me if I take the initiative to personally look it up on my own rather than trying to go by the textbooks or the teacher's notes.

I don't. :P

Seriously though, most of my courses for my major don't really require a lot of studying due to being more performance based (art classes and the like). When I do study I usually just read something over with some low music (like Sun O))) or something) playing in the background.

I take notes from the textbook on blank computer paper. I write down key definitions and circle them but with boxes. Write down the examples with them. All handwritten. Before an exam, I read through them for an hour. Then review quickly before the test. What I lack is to get information from lectures. I find them quite useless.

gr454rc.gif

I probably need to start though. :lol:

I will say though I take a ton of notes, which helps a lot more than just reading over a printed out notes sheet I think.

I probably need to start though. :lol:

I will say though I take a ton of notes, which helps a lot more than just reading over a printed out notes sheet I think.

Yeah aside from my written notes I have done little in way of study.Top most subjects except Chinese.Chinese is [bleep]ry.

I dislike the sheets the teachers give,it usually consists of tons of complicated things I could have explained with one or two sentences.I also prefer to actually do the sums/equations to learn.I can't be told "2X=3Y=1562 so therefore X=(giggity) and Y=(goo)" and expect to know it.I would want to do that equation.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

For internal exams I revise textbooks, make notes do the questions on the textbooks and the previous years' paper. For externals, which happens to be three to four weeks from the final internal, I just do past papers as I know all the theory just need exam practice and end up with a mountain of paper for each subject (2001 to present, 2 exams for each subject per year [iGCSE/AS])

eggzs.png

I hardly ever revised, I just did it all a few days before. I know friends who are revising like 6 months before the exam. I could never be bothered.

He said it. Except I wait until a couple of days, even less.

I know I should have been more motivated but... it isn't what I wanted to do when I was 16-18. Life > Education, as far as I'm concerned.

I break each subject into little categories/topics/sub topics/whatever you call em, then write bullet points for each sub topic and then bullet points for the bullet points and so on until I have as many bullet points as I need.

I also have a timetable and each block goes for 1 hour, and I just write which subjects I do. I don't usually stick to this though D:

I use study guides, we have heaps of them in our house, even for subjects we're not planning on taking.

My sister has a quote on her desk, it says

"If you study to understand, you will remember."

CORNY but (kinda) true.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

For secondary school and sixth form, I didn't, exams were a breeze.

Then I hit uni, I now revise like a furious man for at least the week before, if not longer, because not revising just doesn't cut it any more.

I didn't study at all in high school and still did very high on the exams etc.

Now in college, I study by making programs/reading over my notes, since I'm in a programming course, the only way to study C++ for example is to make programs.

For many classes, I don't really study. For example, unless we have to memorize formulas, I never study for math. To me it just isn't something that I can study since it's conceptual and I learn those concepts in class (I understand why other people might have to study it, but my style of learning doesn't require it). The same typically goes for sciences and sometimes english.

Otherwise I usually just look over my notes the day of the test, in other classes, during lunch, etc. :anxious:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm not motivated enough to study. Maybe I'll read it a few times just before we have the exams but thats about it.

We usually have study lessons before the exam so those are useful too. I find it easier to remember when it's being said to me by a teacher anyway.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Badly!

Seriously though, for secondary school and sixth-form I literally wouldn't study for anything apart from Business Studies at GCSE & Law at A-Level. Even then I would leave it until the day/night before my exams until I would just power-read my way through the text book, not taking notes at all. This would last right up to the START of my exams, and the first time I'd stop reading would be when I sat down to take the paper.

Unfortunatly in Uni it's not possible to do that anymore. There's just too much depth in what I'm studying to fit it into a night, and everything has to be done properly and comprehensively too. Our Law lecturers have (all) gone so far as to ban us from using Wikipedia for anything involving UK law because, to be tactless, it is mostly a load of crap.

Right now I've luckily found a very good method for revising for my Contract law exam next week using highlighters, although it completely ruins the look of the textbook :P

Highlighting

Blue: general important information

Pink: Ratios of cases/extrreamly clear & important parts of text (stating a principle, a major criticism/justification etc)

Yellow: All authorities (case names, judgments in cases, names of judges & laws themselves)

It seems to work pretty well for me right now. At the start of every page I'll quickly skim over the text and highlight in yellow every authority so it's easier to find. Then I'll thoroughly read through the text highlighting medium important bits in blue, and very important bits in pink. Once I get to the end of a page I'll go back and next to every paragraph I'll write a summary of what it says in the margin. Eg. "B must take reasonable steps to bring withdrawl to A's notice before acceptance arrives"

After all that (!), at the end of each chapter I'll write up notes of everything that was in the text, using the sub-titles in the book/making up my own sub-titles to seperate it. #-o

Takes me hours to prepare for courseworks now, but at least I'll be happy knowing that it's a comprehensive answer.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Most of my subjects are science/maths based, and I tend to learn these best through practicing. If I do enough examples and questions, especially in maths, stuff tends to stick. For things like chemistry I might sit down and read notes but I think I take it in better if I'm working through questions and looking up answers when I get stuck.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

My preferred study is not studying at all and rather watching tv and having a fun like I always do lol. I always said that as long as I get 50% to pass my class I'll be fine. Even though I failed 2 or 3 classes I didn't care anyhow though. The majority of my classes I passed with 50%. :lol: Sadly though, in the real world they would assume I'm an idiot because of my averages, which is untrue. In my opinion, school is a joke, by the time you reach grade 11 you already know more than enough to do well in the real world. But what they don't teach you in school, is well...the real world.

If I do have to study, I won't use a computer a lot because I get distracted and start going on TIF / deviantART. So I go to the library or ask my mum to buy book son amazon that I could study from.

The problem is, I don't do it until like, the night before :XD:

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Well, let's see.

My English teacher actually tells us to not study. We go over everything right before the test. This might make him seem like a terrible teacher, but I've learned more from him than any other teacher I've ever had. :P

Otherwise, I have a pretty good memory, and I learn well by writing, so I can usually remember the notes I've taken easily. Things like vocab (For Latin/French...Not Chinese, it's too hard :thumbdown: ) are simple enough for me then, as well as random facts for history. (Though just to be safe, I generally type up my notes so I can have them all in one place, and read them over and over)

In 7th grade, my biology teacher had us create study sheets. I would copy my notes over and over, only looking when necessary, until I was able to do it purely from memory.

Sometimes I'll be reviewing sections in my textbook, assume I'm done, close the book, only to realize I forgot something, and spend a few more minutes searching for what I'm looking for. Repeat this a few times and I'll be good, only wasting an hour or so. :)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.