02-February-2009 Behind The Scenes - February

Toad

Well true, not saying minigames are bad in general. I just feel that we have more than enough now. I already thought we'd have enough before SC came out, and now Jagex is releasing even more. Would be nice if they shifted the focus on other content, that actually fits in the whole Runescape world, instead of making (semi)secluded game areas where you can play some sort of minigame.

If they continue this way we'll end up with a crapload of minigames, which will be abandonded after a small while. Especially the ones that give crappy rewards. There are already some minigames that are barely played.

This is true but I would call Stealing Creation a great success. I've got nothing against minigames as long as they're good. Although the similarity to Pest Control alarms me a bit (please don't make slayer PCable, some of us spent a very long time levelling it) it does sound interesting. I'd love to see the long-awaited level 95 monster.

Apart from that though this month seems a bit boring, like the previous. Which Jagex would "upgrade" some quest storylines by completing them. :|

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the Games' Room is fairly popular, I mean it even has its own Official World, which can get fairly crowded at peak times. I wouldn't say its one of those "failed" minigames at all (pointless, maybe.)

You want a failed minigame? The gnome ones. Gnome Delivery and Gnomeball. NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER.

Till this game releases some new high level PVE content, I wont be playing it much over WoW. Every day I see tons of people in full bandos, fire cape, DFS, fury...running around destroying their slayer tasks. Tons of people have the best gear out there and we use it in places that dont even call for it. I mean, usually I find myself in Prayer armor on tasks, using offensive prayers and healing just fine with Unicorn alone. We need some new stuff for high levels.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

This month looks quite good - just some things everybody wants.

I'm worried about the slayer update. The minigame itself sounds fun, but if it gives slayer xp, a lot of people will be pissed. Including me. Or, if it must give xp, give it a small amount. Slayer should stay a respectable skill.

But if you got experience with Jagex - Slayer will be nerfed, I fear.

If they nerf slayer I fear that the quote in your signature will become a reality. :shock:

I'm looking forward to the random update though(hopes for 2nd set of all random clothing.. bank placeholders please?)

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

This month's BTS is great news.

The first good news is the fixing of random events. This has been about a year coming already, so it's not a surprise, but I'm glad that it's arriving at last. We've waited long enough. I have mixed feelings about the announcement that higher-level players will receive fewer randoms in the future--on the one hand, they can be annoying, but on the other hand, the main reason they're so annoying is because the rewards suck. Nobody likes wasting 3 minutes for a measly 500 gp from a mime event, but multiply that amount by 200 or so and those mazes become much more bearable.

The next bit of good news is what's not coming. Mobilizing Armies has been delayed. This is definitely a positive thing. Previous minigames, like Vinesweeper, Bounty Hunter, and Stealing Creation, suffered from insufficient development. Jagex is taking the time to do this one right, and that's a sign that they've learned something from past mistakes. I'm happy to wait longer to play new minigames if it means they'll be bug-free with non-crappy rewards right off the bat. In the past, we've had to wait for minigames to be fixed a couple weeks after they came out anyway.

The other important thing we aren't seeing this month is a new quest. This is also a good sign, because it indicates that Jagex is, again, taking their time on the 150th quest. As this is a pretty major milestone, I would expect that it has a pretty major quest to go along with it. If they didn't release a brand-new Grandmaster, I'd have expected them to delay the release of While Guthix Sleeps to coincide with the big 150.

Soul Wars doesn't have me as excited as the other announcements. I've noticed some slayers on this thread who are irate that it might be a faster way to train slayer than we already have. To them, I say that slayer is slow enough already--probably the slowest skill in the game--that making it a little faster, as Jagex did with the ZMI altar for runecrafting, would hardly detract from it as an achievement. Qeltar probably said it best when the release of Vinesweeper prompted complaints from high-level farmers.

What would you say to a 90-year-old man who told you that he thought it was unfair that we now have indoor plumbing and flush toilets, when he had to use an outhouse as a child? Youd probably think he was nuts, or just overly bitterafter all, who wouldnt want life to improve? Did he expect us to keep doing everything the hard way just because he did?

Well, it seems that some RuneScape players havent figured out that improvement and growth are also part of online life. Most recently, this has occurred with the Farming minigame Vinesweeper, with some high-level farmers complaining that it makes the skill too easy or that it is ruined.

Every time something new comes out that enables people to train a skill in a way thats more efficient or enjoyable, folks come crawling out of the woodwork, whining that because they had to spend hours on miserable grinding, so should everyone else. Well, Im sick and tired of the whole ordeal, and Ive decided to say a few words on the subject.

Those who complain when new minigames and features are released that grant new ways of earning XP are not very good students of history. Whatever the most recent change is gets all the attention, and people forget that nearly every skill has been improved and made easier to level over the years. We have a word for this, incidentally: we call it progress.

Heres just a quick look at the various skills and ways that they are now easier to train than they were years ago or when first released:

• [*:1nlq58p9]Agility: New higher-level courses, and enhancers like summer pies.

[*:1nlq58p9]Construction: This is still a relatively new skill, so it hasnt been enhanced too much yet. There have been a few quests granting Construction XP, and theres also the crystal saw.

[*:1nlq58p9]Cooking: Cook X is the big one, along with new pies and potatoes, infinite Chefs Delight barrels in houses and more.

[*:1nlq58p9]Crafting: Supplies are at much lower costs than they have been in the past, there are many more items that can be made, and ways to train like temple building in Mortton.

[*:1nlq58p9]Firemaking: Several minigames now give Firemaking XP, sometimes in rather large quantities.

[*:1nlq58p9]Fishing: One word: monkfish.

[*:1nlq58p9]Fletching: Crossbow bolts provide new options, and the Make X feature lets people fletch while reading forums or doing other tasks on the PC.

[*:1nlq58p9]Herblore: Herbs and many secondary ingredients are a fraction of their former costs or are much easier to get than in the past. Several minigames provide Herblore XP. The new Summoning familiar, the macaw, dramatically improves high-level herb yield.

[*:1nlq58p9]Hunter: This is a relatively new skill, but new features are added to it regularly. The Impetuous Impulses minigame doesnt provide a lot of XP, but it gives XP along with some great item/monetary rewards.

[*:1nlq58p9]Mining: Many new mines, some with far greater selections of rocks, have been added over the years.

[*:1nlq58p9]Prayer: The Ectofuntus and especially gilded altars in houses have revolutionized this skill, making it a fraction of its former difficulty.

[*:1nlq58p9]Runecrafting: Pouches and the Ourania altar make getting XP far easier than when the skill first came out.

[*:1nlq58p9]Slayer: New slayer monsters, better weapons and especially the black mask.

[*:1nlq58p9]Smithing: This skill now has a Make X option, and crossbow bolts give smiths a superior option for items that are always in demand.

[*:1nlq58p9]Thieving: Pyramid Plunderneed I say more?

[*:1nlq58p9]Woodcutting: The dragon woodcutting axe, new tree types, extra locations, Farming patches for woodcutting and so on.

As for combat, the ways things have been made easier are too many to even list. Theres all sorts of new, high-hitting melee weapons like whips and godswords; improved crossbows and the dark bow for rangers; and mages have Ancients for power-training along with lower rune prices than ever before. Add to that dragon weapons and armor, Barrows gear, the Piety prayer, Lunar Magicks spellsI could go on and on. And of course, Pest Control. So should all the people who raised combat to high levels on RuneScape Classic now complain?

Whats particularly silly about the whole thing is that most of the people who are complaining about a particular new method of leveling, themselves benefited from earlier improvements that made skills easier for them. Even the people who are going on about Farming right nowmost of them likely benefited from earlier improvements to this skill.

Did any of them grow herbs in My Arms disease-free patch? Or use a pair of enchanted secateurs to improve crop yield and XP? How many of these players got the benefit of large stocks of cheap pineapples in Catherby for making supercompostwhich have now been removed from the game?

Change is inevitable, and usually welcome. Begrudging better methods for newer players when you yourself benefited from earlier improvements is hypocritical.

Anyway, I hope this new minigame will provide a worthy alternative to traditional slayer training, and perhaps additional incentives to train slayer as well. Most importantly, it should give worthy rewards in order to keep from descending into irrelevancy, as minigames like Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup, Gnomeball, and Gnome Restaurant have done. It's not enough just to be fun. I think the Rogue's Den is rather entertaining; it's just that there's no meaningful reward for it, so it feels like a waste. Hopefully Soul Wars will have gotten the same kind of development time that Mobilizing Armies is getting, and Jagex won't be afraid to push the rewards a little.

This month looks quite good - just some things everybody wants.

I'm worried about the slayer update. The minigame itself sounds fun, but if it gives slayer xp, a lot of people will be pissed. Including me. Or, if it must give xp, give it a small amount. Slayer should stay a respectable skill.

But if you got experience with Jagex - Slayer will be nerfed, I fear.

If they nerf slayer I fear that the quote in your signature will become a reality. :shock:

I'm looking forward to the random update though(hopes for 2nd set of all random clothing.. bank placeholders please?)

Faster slayer experience would not be a nerf...what are you talking about? That would be the exact opposite of a nerf. #-o

Woohoo another minigame and talk about a different they're releasing. -.- I really wish they'd stop making minigames and focus more on improving skills. I don't mind the D&D updates but do we really need more safe, "tough to master" minigames right now?

I am however glad some kind of change is happening with the random events and I never have to hear those lazy idiots asking for a price check from now on. And that Evil Tree is actually the only thing I'm looking forward to seeing how it's going to give me experience in two skills I like.

I am however glad some kind of change is happening with the random events and I never have to hear those lazy idiots asking for a price check from now on.

Not so much lazy idiots. Remember that trading with someone was the only way to check the prices of a group of items, outside of tedious calculator work that nobody should have to do for such a simple task. (It still is the only way, as a matter of fact, until this update is released.)

You could have also gone to the Grand Exchange...

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

But what if you get something good during slayer and still have the supplies and such for 100+ kills? Would you drop everything and rush to the ge to sell it?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

This can be a huge pain in the [wagon], depending on where you are. Same thing with many items of large quantities.

Don't get me wrong. I hate random noobs walking up and spam trading you just as much as the next guy. Just saying.

100523232837.png

Are you winning The Game?

I am however glad some kind of change is happening with the random events and I never have to hear those lazy idiots asking for a price check from now on.

Not so much lazy idiots. Remember that trading with someone was the only way to check the prices of a group of items, outside of tedious calculator work that nobody should have to do for such a simple task. (It still is the only way, as a matter of fact, until this update is released.)

It's really that hard to put the item up in the GE and add numbers? I was at the bank and this kid was sitting there for at least 5 minutes asking for a price check. He could have done it himself within that whole 5 minutes of wasting his time.

Looks pretty good, and that confirms my suspicion that they're working on a quest for 150th...

But I liked random events!!!!

I'm back on the forums! Older, wiser, and...

...still a noob...

Actually, the database would be even easier. But remember, this only works for single items.

It's really that hard to put the item up in the GE and add numbers? I was at the bank and this kid was sitting there for at least 5 minutes asking for a price check. He could have done it himself within that whole 5 minutes of wasting his time.

Like I said, that's tedious, and nobody should have to do all that for such a simple price check.

Evil Tree

Also this month we will be bringing you a new distraction and diversion affectionately known as the Evil Tree. This twice-a-day event will focus on providing an alternative to your Woodcutting, Firemaking and Farming training. During this event, a small, innocent leprechaun will be appearing in a variety of locations, using his magical divining rod to try to discover the whereabouts of an exciting new species of plant. He knows that the plant grows into a tree at an alarmingly fast rate, and that budding farmers will be able to use their skills to coax it out even faster; but Farmings not the only skill you will be using...since this tree is EVIL!

Well, perhaps for us that twist wasnt so surprising (the name kind of gives it away) but for anyone who hasnt read this it will be quite a shock to see the innocent, naive sapling turn into a menacing and malevolent fiend! Prepare to grab your tinderboxes and axes (the leprechaun has spares), and go toe-to-branch with this new challenge. Evil trees will come with similar level requirements to their less evil counterparts, and will range from normal, simple trees all the way up to elder trees...evil elder trees, of course. Rewards include generous XP in the aforementioned skills, and access to some unique services to complement your Woodcutting training.

I just got my Adze. Why does this remind me of the time I scored my fire cape... #-o

And no quest. Looks like we'll wait til March then

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Looks like a relatively quiet month, and the prospect of getting rid of the Sandwich Lady from random events is more than enough to pacify me.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Looks like a relatively quiet month, and the prospect of getting rid of the Sandwich Lady from random events is more than enough to pacify me.

Quoted for the truth. I'd give my left kidney away for the chance to get rid of her.

sig-4504.jpg

^ Refresh for a new signature ^

090125180013cc9.png

Quoted for the truth. I'd give my left kidney away for the chance to get rid of her.

No you wouldn't. Liar. Hehe. :^o

No you wouldn't. Liar. Hehe. :^o

You'd be surprised :twisted: .

But I'm also looking forward to the new "Soul Wars" mini-game. The name sounds more exciting than any other Jagex has released before.

sig-4504.jpg

^ Refresh for a new signature ^

090125180013cc9.png

I think this month looks like it will be a rather nice one.

Soul Wars looks like it will be a fun alternative to doing slayer task but not completely devalue any work doing the actual tasks.

The price checker will certainly be used a lot, no doubt about that.

Not sure what exactly the quest list will bring but hey customization generally is a good thing.

The Great Random Reform has me excited and a bit saddened at the same time, guess I'll have to grab a picture of my double mime boots before the change. ::'

The new D&D with the evil tree looks suspiciously like something I suggested a while ago on the RSOF so I'm looking forward to seeing how they did this one. Farming, woodcutting, and firemaking... sounds good to me for something twice a day.

I try to look at the BTS in a positive light, nothing is ever as bad as people think. ;)

Oh, and I personally love the maze random except when I'm in combat. It's always so generous when it comes to rewards. 500 chaos, 200+ deaths, several K feathers, mithril ores, coal, and more, always welcome additions to my bank.

200000000.png