Feb 9 2009: The Future of Runescape

Omali

...I think I'm in love. Seriously.

-No more f2p video adverts: Don't really care. 10 seconds is not that long, and they only show up like once a day. Nice of Jagex to remove, though. Shows that it's not all money to those that think it is.

-No more Behind the Scenes: I liked them, but...

-More Development Diaries makes up for it.

-f2p isn't a demo: Okay. Sure. If you say so. Works for me.

-f2p will be improved: YES! YES! YES! YES! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: <3:<3:<3:<3:<3: I've always said that f2p doesn't technically deserve anything...but that doesn't mean I don't want it. More quests, please?

-Runescape isn't aimed at kids: Alright, cool. I certainly don't object to taking out any kid-focused content. Make the the doors in the stronghold less annoying, maybe?

-Community events, tournaments, and Jmods in-game. Eh, I'll probably lag out, they'll be so busy. And most of them will probably be on membs worlds. Still cool of Jagex, though.

-Thread where you can ask the CEO of Jagex questions: Forums are still members-only, but I imagine the information will trickle down. :) So cool.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My contribution:

MMORPGs come and go. In my 24 years of life, there were but 10 where I did not find myself in front of a MUD, a piece of paper, or any number of games for consoles or pc where I took the role of a character as my own. Whether it was the blunt force of an axe, the mind altering powers of a vampire, or even the force of the unseen, I have enjoyed being part of a game where not only were my skills tested but I had to rely on those of others.

For the past 7ish years, Runescape has been a stable that I have more often than not, opted to play in lieu of others. My first character, Skiwee disappeared while I was in college and has not been heard from since (though I would love to have the name back ). Kietaro1 took up the banner and has pushed on to become even greater than his predecessor. Through years of clicking I have nearly arrived at a place where the reliance on other's skills can be put into place.

While other MMORPGs boast hundreds of hours of end game content, Runescape has but a few. Granted it takes much longer for a player to max a Runescape account, high leveled gamers become discontent after being pampered in their early to mid game play. As was admitted, and rightly so, in the address that you [Mr. Mark] made to we, the community, Runescape is labeled a game for children. If not for the sense of accomplishment and ability to problem solve, I would have succumbed to the battering I took from my fellow gamers [from other games] in response to the lack of maturity this game harbors.

With that being said, I would like to know what plans Jagex has in the works to give players high level content. Not necessarily what exactly we may see in development but are there plans to give higher level content to those that have worked hard for their levels?

Continued on next page...

That needs to be fixed as well.

An example may be the lack of use of skills like herblaw after 82 (but really 81 as weapon poison can be picked up from drops), any combat stat of 80+ as all boss monsters can be killed at these levels even if it is easier with higher combat stats, or the entire smithing skill. I understand that combat is limited by 99 hitpoints but why have stats like smithing and fletching been made nearly useless by drop tables? When will we see an influx of items that MUST BE manufactured, once again giving use to these skills?

Similar viewpoint here, but I'd like to add a few cents. At least one very popular mmorpg that is very much focused on the endgame (Possible to max level in a few weeks, time to take to max gear...quite possibly infinite if you lack the skill) has gradually reversed course and made the endgame much more accessible. (ie dumbed down) I'm just wondering, if RS does decide to begin catering to the truly endgame (Say, boss requires combat 136 to face, etc), what would happen? Ideally people would have more reason to finish grinding, and high level players would be satisfied. However, I would predict there to be a backlash eventually and you'd end up with a base more broken then it started out as.

For me, RS has always been about the stat advancement process. Most RPGs have it, but some merely change it to gear progression after a certain point. In my humble opinion, making gear tiers accessible only via progression unlocked at the highest levels would keep most people busy enough without taking away the leveling process that is the core of the game.

[hide=choo-choo]

I hope removing kiddy updates will mean that pentagrams for demons are coming back. PLEEEAAASEEEE

Sigils of Baphomet are better.

pentagram.jpg

What's that image supposed to mean? :-k

[/hide]

Baphomet is considered a powerful demon in mythology. It's basically a demon that is both male and female and has a goat's head. It sounds lame, but I always thought the pentagram was kind of cool. It's used as a Satanic symbol.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Hmm sounds like Jagex is trying to get back to the routes: the community. Reading through that made think of my times in RSC when mods roamed about, and updates just turned up when they were ready.

I like it, better focus.

Dark_Jab.png

He says he is an avid runescape player himself, which leads me to think he played a good deal before becoming CEO. If that is true, he may still play on another account, or at least he knows what the players want.

I really like this, and I hope it isn't just to get us excited.

lalalasig2.png

Jagex and Runescape seems to be getting an Obama-like figure from MMG, good luck too him. \'

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Those people in RSOF are wasting their time. I would like to see pking back, but even I know that that was definately a permanent decision on the part of jagex, even though im still going to complain about it.

Other than that, looks good. It May be nothing but talk, though. I would like to see some of these changes before I make any judgements.

WE PAY TO PK!!!!! BRING BACK THE WILDY IN 09!!!!!!

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

any one else almost faint when the guy said he's slightly over 21? how about when he said jagex will answer questions? how about when he said there's going to be words unblocked from censor?

did i just [cabbage] my pants? :shock:

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

Personally, just a little peeved off at this comment:

"We are also committed to working with our fans in the RuneScape community to make the game a more enjoyable place to be. We will be running community events, tournaments and JMod participation in-game to provide more support to you and make RuneScape an even better place to be."

Now if that means they are directly competing with the TET, well I'm just not fine with that. While this is a competitive field (event hosting (really it is)) it's still almost a stab in the heart. JMods have been coming to events. Is this because they want to join in on the fun or they were taking notes.

I've already sent in my inquiry. We'll see...

Take it as a compliment. They were learning from the best.

You're not really going to be losing much in the way of attendance to TET/TETAU events. The Jagex-geared events will most likely attract the RSOF audience that Tip.It seems to hate anyway. Unless they offer special, untradeable items, I honestly don't think you'll be losing much.

Your events are always going to be superior. Want to know why? Because they're not going to be held by uptight J-Mods. They always have a close-knit community at TET events. RSOF simply cannot compete because there are too many of them, and their forums are lame in comparison.

hzvjpwS.gif

Finaly. We get a CEO who actualy plays the game again. He's pretty young, so I expect he is alot less concerned with money than alot of other people might be. Younger people tend to eb more flexible and inovative because they have fewer formed concepts about how things work (easier to take a different perspective I guess). No offence to any older players intended (I am not trying to insult people), but its the truth as I know it.

When I read this I couldn't be happier :thumbsup: This man will (hopefully) turn RuneScape back into a cool, mature game, and f2p gets some of the action! And since I'm f2p most of the time, I can try a lot more of the updates whenever I want, and not in the timeframe of a single month. =D> Exactly what we need.

For any employee of Jagex currently reading this:

Please pass my congratulations on to mr. Gerhard for achieving such an influental position at Jagex, and I think I speak for the whole of Tipit when I say that we hope you are up to the job ::'

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

Wow. Quite random and surprising. I am suspicious but therefore optimistic on why Jagex is so free-handed and loose to it's player community. Scheduled events and tourneys? More J-Mod interaction? Jagex has spent so much time, effort, and money, yes money, to put things like the security more firm and understandable to all of us. And now they're destroying it. In my sincere opinion this is all bs. I am a fan of what is to come, but what about the past? In History we are supposed to understand the past and focus and prepare for the future. Now here, we're dislodging what we've been trying to indulge in. Wildly, free-trade, chatting, all this has been regulated and restricted for everyone. Jagex is either trying to hype up Runescape and to take attention off the up and coming new games and developments. They want to make aware that Runescape will still hopefully be alive. This is a preparation for the future however, a preparation in which they want to improve the game if their future games (Mechscape), does not utterly fail and they lose valuable time spent and millions of dollars. Jagex is merely playing with our minds once again, allowing someone in authority to assure the community, and to please them with eye-candy, no pics, but words, words from the CEO. This is big, fairly huge, and this will soon take time to indulge. Even though I am not a vivid Scaper anymore, I've matured from spending hours spent on the pc, even though I find nothing wrong with that, but now I seem to see that they will focus on adult themes and more mature content. Why? Once again, because of Mechscape, yes, the new supposedly sci-fi internet browser RPG that Jagex is soon to launch, and hopefully expand their network of Gamers around the world. I look forward to these promises, and the fact thatall the questions will be answered, is merely a myth. This new CEO will be sacked by beggars, trolls, morons, mods, noobs, and mature players all the like. Jagex is evolving, even though it may be a bit late, but it's on the rise. Hopefully Jagex will become more player-community and staff-community involvement, I'll be happy.

~Poet (I'm older then the CEO, I just pushed 69) :ugeek: