Username Hoggers

Hoopster211

I really wish Jagex would get rid of all the unused usernames. Some people just register a bunch of names, for the mere sake of having "rare names". I am thinking something along the lines of:

1. Have not gotten past Tutorial Island yet.

2. Hasn't logged on in the past 6 months.

3. Has never been a member.

Any account within ALL of those terms should be deleted, so people who want to actually use them for a pure/skiller or whatever can do so. They should do this like once every 2 years. There's got to be millions of unused names just wasting away...

Discuss.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree, but you should rephrase your second paragraph because I'm sure there will be smartasses who say, "Oh, you want to erase all F2P players!?"

Rephrase it so that you're saying that the accounts must fall into all three categories. It's obvious what you meant, but still...

I won't agree even then but heh.

2dgucz6.png

I would agree with this. Cool names are only cool if people see them. Colecting dust is not cool, and people who do this dont deserve to have the names. When you dont even know what names you have, you need to give them up.

To the above, note the has not gotten past tutorial island part. If you take a year break and have not completed the island yet, you can afford to start over.

"Have not gotten past Tutorial Island yet."

You could combine the 6 months thing with the tutorial island, so any accounts in the tutorial for 6 months get deleted.

I think free players also deserve to get a chance to play, I dont see why they need there accounts deleted like after a year.

vizardsig-1.png

The people who register 'cool' usernames are taking advantage of their opportunities.

If you had a great thought in real life, you would most likely decide to get a patent, so no one could steal your idea.

Now, let's say you have no use for this idea at the moment, as you are occupied with another project, so you just let it sit around.

While you're working on your other project, someone decides to enforce a law that 'all patented items not actively being created shall have their patents destroyed'. As of such, your brilliant idea has gone to waste.

You cannot demand for people to spend time on their patents/RuneScape accounts, and for those who posted before me, arguing that a cool name are meant to be seen, I agree. Yet you cannot force anyone to play on whatever account they create.

I do think some of the usernames should be restored, and for people to be deleted their accounts would need to be pretty much empty, and innactive for 6+ months. I think it'd be a good thing, but in some cases bad... meh

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I made the accounts Final Smash (on the day they were announced on the Brawl site) and Probopass (the day Pokemon: D/P came out in US.)

I rarely log on, just to play on Smash as a pure when my main is f2p, and to "spam" clan chats with Probopass [hide=]So I herd you liek Probopasses?[/hide]

If those got deleted I'd be pissed off cause they are awesome usernames. Still, who cares if other people "hog" usernames? Think of your own creative or cool name if you want to have an account with a cool name. If it's taken, tough luck, move on.

I made the accounts Final Smash (on the day they were announced on the Brawl site) and Probopass (the day Pokemon: D/P came out in US.)

I rarely log on, just to play on Smash as a pure when my main is f2p, and to "spam" clan chats with Probopass [hide=]So I herd you liek Probopasses?[/hide]

If those got deleted I'd be pissed off cause they are awesome usernames. Still, who cares if other people "hog" usernames? Think of your own creative or cool name if you want to have an account with a cool name. If it's taken, tough luck, move on.

Well that's perfectly justified, since you actually train it.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

Yeah, I have 251 accounts just to be better than Toast. They could do as you specify, but I doubt many people took a username because they liked it, and then left it on tutorial island. They likely would have at least completed it so they could show it off to a clan chat or two. \'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I only got 4 accounts, my main, a thing called 'beeyatched', 'backrash' and 'theoneyoulove'

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Deleting them without telling them would just be wrong. People intend to go on long retirements from rs. If they want an acc that they won't use they should like inform jagex via inbox or something. ::'

iSkill.png

Mer 0_0.png

Youtube: Here | Blog: Here | Add me if you want to.

You can find me in IRC chan: #Dragonz_Clan, #Mer and #TTFS

The people who register 'cool' usernames are taking advantage of their opportunities.

If you had a great thought in real life, you would most likely decide to get a patent, so no one could steal your idea.

Now, let's say you have no use for this idea at the moment, as you are occupied with another project, so you just let it sit around.

While you're working on your other project, someone decides to enforce a law that 'all patented items not actively being created shall have their patents destroyed'. As of such, your brilliant idea has gone to waste.

You cannot demand for people to spend time on their patents/RuneScape accounts, and for those who posted before me, arguing that a cool name are meant to be seen, I agree. Yet you cannot force anyone to play on whatever account they create.

Patents run out and have to be renewed

They don't correspond to runescape usernames anyway. They're the property of Jagex, and to be honest if you don't log in for an extended period of time and have never played on the character, jagex would be more than justified to delete your character. I'm actually not positive they don't do this actually. I once had an account named shrouded, and i remember the password. When i try to log on with it, it doesn't work though.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Deleting them without telling them would just be wrong. People intend to go on long retirements from rs. If they want an acc that they won't use they should like inform jagex via inbox or something. ::'

It's not really a retirement if you haven't even played the game yet..

oversized.jpg[/bads]

Eventually famous players will quit and 6 months later some random fan will make a new account with his name. That's just asking for trouble.

And what about the people who have those unused users on friendlist? I personally have a very very good friend from way back when I started my rs career 3 years ago. She hasn't logged on since then but I have her added just for the sake of it in the vain hopes she'll log in one day. If someone else comes in with her username I could think its her and that could lead to confusion. If it's a slightly more renowned player with more friends (i.e. a lv 138, respected clan member with a full friendlist) someone could create an account to impersonate him and land the person in some deep [cabbage]. So yeah, there are too many things that could go wrong with username recycling.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Eventually famous players will quit and 6 months later some random fan will make a new account with his name. That's just asking for trouble.

And what about the people who have those unused users on friendlist? I personally have a very very good friend from way back when I started my rs career 3 years ago. She hasn't logged on since then but I have her added just for the sake of it in the vain hopes she'll log in one day. If someone else comes in with her username I could think its her and that could lead to confusion. If it's a slightly more renowned player with more friends (i.e. a lv 138, respected clan member with a full friendlist) someone could create an account to impersonate him and land the person in some deep [cabbage]. So yeah, there are too many things that could go wrong with username recycling.

Did you even read my post?

No one can be famous if they're not even off of tutorial island...

EDIT:

And unless your friend somehow knew your username, added you at the end of Tutorial Island, and chatted enough to become such good friends you still have him added after 3 years, it wouldn't happen.

oversized.jpg[/bads]

I say just use some creativity. Sure, millions of names can be taken, but there are still another 50 million waiting. :-w

You just need to think harder. Don't get frustrated if someone took your top 30 names. RS is just a game.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Stupid. Many people, including me, have quit for over 6 months. Plus, what happens to all the friends who have added me?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I agree, if the character hasn't even been off tutorial island/logged in in 6 months, it's pretty obvious they're not planning on playing. If someone really wants to reserve a name for some reason, get it off tutorial island :roll: Honestly don't see why people would have a problem with this. Though, as pointed out above, from alot of your posts it seems like you're taking your own interpretation instead of reading the actual OP.

Stupid. Many people, including me, have quit for over 6 months. Plus, what happens to all the friends who have added me?

You fail at reading.

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

Not that I agree with your terms of deleting accounts... But, I wouldn't mind if Jagex deleted some accounts (ones left on Tut Island for years...)

I also wouldn't mind if they gave us the chance to change our names :pray: ! I hate mine :(

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!