*NEW* Player Behavior Rants (No Naming Names)

tripsis

Impatient players. It happens every other day. As I mine someone comes along asks "Were is blurite?" Or something along those lines, then three seconds later run they away in the opposite direction! While all this happens I find myself stuck with half of an untyped message, with care for spelling and grammar and less iron than I could have possibly mined. If this keeps up, I may have to stop answering questions entirely.

YES. Along with that is when they ask and you haven't answered them within 2 seconds, they start spamming ???. Yeah, that's going to get me to type faster. <_<

No one speaks!

God, i'm getting so fed up with this. Why does no one speak anymore? Not just the 130+ ones, but at all levels...

At the moment i'm catching some fish at the fishing guild (saving for SS), (counted) 23 people are here... But none of them says a word! What's everyone doing? Watching a movie... Busy in clan chat... or what?

And if the odd moment occurs when someone says a word, it's always about RS... Never about anything else... God it's so boring.

I admit I'm not much of a talker in RS. I tend to ignore the chat in favor of browsing RSOF, these forums or read a book. If I don't want to talk, I don't say anything. I play this game as a game, not a social club. (Not directed at you, but for those who feel they have to force me into a conversation).

Onto my rant: people who equate game knowledge with combat levels. Just because someone is 138/126 combat, doesn't mean they know everything; it means they enjoy training combat skills.

imevil.jpg

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Now, people constantly bugging me to borrow my stuff. I lend out my whip/GS just to be nice, then they add me and every 5 minutes I get a PM from someone saying "ohai can I borrow ur gs?". -.- I need it too, and just because I let you borrow it once doesn't mean I'm always going to. Worried I sound horrible here, but seriously, it gets so irritating sometimes. >_>

Oh, and people asking me for pretty much walkthroughs for quests. Go find a guide or something. D: Or people saying stuff like "How many salamanders do I need to catch for 83 hunter?" etc. My god.

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

I hate people who thinks that since I am lvl 92, I should be rich. Just because i'm lvl 92 should NOT mean that I have more cash than a lvl 30 or whatever. Also I hate people who think that if I have low str, then I must be a noob. I like attack allright?! And theres the people who think that I should have a couple of 99's for being past the lvl80 milestone.

It's because you're a higher level than them. I see level 110's all the time and I think, "Wow, that noob really should have a skill cape by now", before I realized that I'm almost that level, and have nowhere near a 99 stat, and certainly don't have lots of money. On the other hand, if I see a level 92, I assume he is poor. =P

• 4 weeks later...

I should probably start off by saying, this is completely my just letting off some steam. If all you have to say it to tell me that that's how the game goes or to get over it, save your time.

I started playing Runescape in the seventh grade (my high school graduation was this past summer, if anyone actually cares to do the math). I haven't been playing consistently in that time, mostly annual runs of a few months before I'd move onto something else. I almost always began each run with the creation of a new character, usually because in that year I'd forgotten what I had been doing before I left, and this most recent run (which started a month ago) has been no different. Although game play has clearly changed over the course of all this time, my experiences with other players in Runescape have remained very much the same, and they have largely been negative.

Ever since I created my first character many moons ago, my all-time favourite skills have been Mining and Smithing. I can't possibly understand why, though, because goodness knows that other players in the game have made a point of trying to outright ruin the Mining skill for me, whether it be intentionally or just as a result of what I consider to be an abysmal game mechanic.

I recently gained a high enough Mining level to enter the Mining Guild, which I was very excited about (as small a victory as it may be), because I had only done so on one character previous. The first day went great; for the majority of the day, I was the only person down there, and the couple of times anyone else showed up, they just minded their own business, mining coal on the entire opposite side of where I was mining coal and mithril. It went off without a hitch, and I had hoped such a trend would keep up, but I supposed I should have known better than to think I could ever get anything done in Runescape without someone showing up to ruin it for me.

So here I will explain the list of things that royally piss me off about other players, primarily high level players (be it in combat level or in the particular skill level of what we are doing), and primarily in the Mining Skill and where the Mining Guild is concerned.

1. Players (specifically high level ones) who seem to be slighted by what another player, one who is not a part of their clan and they will likely never see in the game again, has equipped. In all of the MMO's that I play, I have always put much greater importance in material/resource skills, and the ability to make my own weapons and armor rather than buy them from a shop or from another player. I have made the choice to only use weapons and armor that I have physically made with my own two little virtual hands, until I get to such a combat level that I will make better use of items that I cannot make myself. This also means that, as a level 62 miner, with level 52 smithing, I continue to use a Steel Pickaxe that I made myself rather than buy a Rune Pickaxe. When I reach level 90 smithing and can create my own Rune Pickaxe, I will personally feel ten times more fulfilled than if I had simply bought it from someone else. This gets really annoying because it means that when someone asks, I cannot tell them what my Mining level without already knowing what their reaction will be.

Does that seem ridiculously silly to the majority of players? Absolutely. But they aren't running my account, and they aren't paying my membership fee, so they can back the hell off. What mental issues must someone have that causes them to rage with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns because one person, in a game with significantly more players than just the two of us, chooses to play the game differently than they do? Unless you're going to start sending me checks every month to cover my membership, mind your own business.

Personal victory today on this front, however: beat a high level player who had a Rune Pickaxe at three out of five Mithril rocks with my silly old Steel Pickaxe. They threw a little conniption fit and switched worlds. Score.

2. High level players who mine Mithril, successfully preventing me from doing so, just to "alch" it. I can pretty much guarantee you that in the time it takes you to mine that Mithril rock, you could have mined twice as much worth of coal, so why don't you stop being a jackass and actually let people who NEED those ores, use them?

3. This one really bothers me, and so far as I'm concerned, is a perfect example of the way that the majority of players in Runescape simply have no regard for anyone but themselves.

People who, while also mining coal in the Mining Guild, will come over to start mining the rock that you've been mining for the last fifteen seconds, as though there aren't 36 other rocks, just because your rock is one step closer to them than the next available rock. I'm very, very close to getting into the habit of reporting all these people as bots, whether they are or aren't. There just simply is no excuse for being that rude, crude, and ignorant to another human being, and assuming that they're bots or using macros is the only way I can keep myself from quitting the game and getting away from such an abhorrent attitude towards other players.

4. This one has less to do with players and more to do with bad luck. Since that first lucky day in the Mining Guild, I have spent the last three entire days, hopping from World to World, trying to find one where the mithril rocks weren't being hoarded by some high level player, with absolutely no success. Way to make the game playable for everyone, Jagex.

5. This, well... It pertains to the entire game, really, but I've found it especially a problem among miners.

Why can't people type properly anymore?

I don't think I have met a single player in this game, in the years I've been playing, who understood how to put together a sentence. The fact that we, as a community (i.e. the internet as a whole, but also Runescape specifically) accept this mutilation of our language while looking down upon anyone with an education higher than a fruit bat makes me want to puke a little.

Any time I show up to start mining, you can be sure that the high level player who is there and sees me mining their rocks will immediately call me a "noob," among other things, in a language I can only assume is what English would be if humans only had two fingers. The ironic part being that they say it as though I'm the one acting like an obnoxious, idiotic eight-year-old with a speech impediment, of course.

As soon as I respond to them, usually by asking them how exactly I am the noob compared to how they are behaving, they shield their eyes away like a vampire (a real one) being exposed to the sunlight at the sight of someone who actually understands how many periods are in an ellipse (here's a hint: three, not two or four), and call me any number of terms that all boil down to me supposedly being a nerd and/or middle aged.

I've heard just about every excuse under the sun for this, and each one makes me both laugh and rage at the same time, a little more than the last.

"I can spell, I'm just too lazy." No, sorry. If you could spell as well as you claim, it would easily take you longer to purposely misspell words than to spell them properly. Try again.

"This isn't English class." Is that so? Do you only wipe your [wagon] if you're in a class and forced to do so?

"This way is faster." "I'm too busy." "I don't have time to check my grammar." Any variation of those must be my all-time favourite. I'll clue you in on this one, genius. By the time you graduate from middle school, spelling and grammar should be about as natural as breathing and blinking. If you have to make a purposeful, conscious effort to type properly, then you need to consult your family doctor, because you're very likely developmentally disabled.

And you know what? I was diagnosed as being mildly developmentally disabled in my senior year of high school, but I can still manage to put together a paragraph with most typos being restricted to mixing up my suffixes, so even that isn't an excuse. Bet you're proud of your moron-speak now.

The second point reminded me of being accused of alching the other day by a world-hopping underminer who helped themselves to the quiet, empty spot I was using.

Most miners, particularly the world-hopping variety, wouldn't alch mith or addy. They are worth far more on the grand exchange (in the order of 10 times as much).

The animation most often seen is the superheat spell which transforms the ore and the appropriate number of coal into a bar. The spell earns both the normal smithing experience for smelting and some magic experience as well as extending one's time between bank runs.

If you ever see me alch an ore by mistake.... don't even *think* about trying to talk to me! lol

However Torachi, you won't! ;) If you are in my mine as I log in, I'll be hopping along to the next world. Undermining and selfishness is my pet peeve of game too.

Edited by Ayisha

The second point reminded me of being accused of alching the other day by a world-hopping underminer who helped themselves to the quiet, empty spot I was using.

Most miners, particularly the world-hopping variety, wouldn't alch mith or addy. They are worth far more on the grand exchange (in the order of 10 times as much).

The animation most often seen is the superheat spell which transforms the ore and the appropriate number of coal into a bar. The spell earns both the normal smithing experience for smelting and some magic experience as well as extending one's time between bank runs.

If you ever see me alch an ore by mistake.... don't even *think* about trying to talk to me! lol

However Torachi, you won't! ;) If you are in my mine as I log in, I'll be hopping along to the next world. Undermining and selfishness is my pet peeve of game too.

You could be right about the alching thing, Magic has never been enough of a concern to me to level it to that point and I'd more-or-less assumed that that had to be what they were doing because they would do it and never have to run back to the bank (or at least, not in the time I had the patience to watch them before moving on).

But then, that still begs the question why someone who is, more often than not, also the kind of person to rag on me for not playing the game the "right" way, would be smelting Mithril when my understanding that Iron is faster if you're just trying to level up.

You are right that iron for members because it's fast, or standing in the ge for hours superheating mith is a common method of smithing training because it is pretty much cash-neurtral. Last I read on a forum somewhere or heard though, is that addy is the fastest and most profitable at the moment. I don't watch the market so I don't know if that's still holding. If you have cash to burn, you can smith mith or addy plates and alch them.

To train mining, smithing and mage together is also pretty common and that's what I do. (However, 99 mining will only see me at around 86 smithing so I foresee many hours in the ge in the distant future!)

Sheeple Torachi.... There is a big culture in the game of people who think that because most players do it like that, that it must be the only way. Those players fail to consider that we each have our own reasons for playing the game and that there may be other personal motivations and goals for people other than prettiest costume, max hit, insert-level-here or bank balance.

My rant would have to be directed toward other people criticizing my combat levels for no reason. Just earlier today i was killing chickens *don't ask* and there was another guy there that was a few combat levels lower than me. Of course, as it always happens, he started asking me for my levels so he could compare them to his own and make smart remarks about them. He delighted in pointing out that even though he was a lower combat level than me, his attack and strength levels were higher than mine, completely disregarding the fact that he had no summoning levels, no deffence, and no prayer.

He started on his long lines about how he could own me and how we should go to the duel arena so he can pwn me because I'm a narb.

• 3 weeks later...

I just hate the new players that are "pures" and think that's the way it's meant to be played. I'm level 72, and I have my stats kinda balanced. I went to a PVP world because I almost never go, and there was a guy level 60 aprox. He said "Str lvl?" and I said 60. "OMG roflmao nub your str sux for yor levul!" (He said that thing literally), then he said his strength lvl was like 80, and he had 1 defence. Then we fought, and guess who won.

During the fight I said to him "I'd rather hit a string of 10s than hit a 25 and then 5 0s." He safed when he was losing, but on the count time I could kill him :D

So, the lesson is: Strength pures cannot fight a player with more than 50 defence.

/\ /\ /\

|| || ||

Limit line of the post.

No need to read this.

• 4 weeks later...

The matter of the fact is, you can get away with a lot of things on the Internet.

That's why there is so much tension on the Internet, especially on the forums because everyone who uses them comes from a different background.

You want to offend me? Go ahead. Why should I take any of you seriously, when we're just sitting here on our computer screens being angry at several walls of text?

Player Behavior Rants (No Naming Names)

This sticky is for all rants related to RuneScape player behavior such as:

-Poor grammar

that annoys me.. you shouldn't judge someone on spelling and grammar..its a game if i wanted to spell or say things properly all the time id go to school -.-

Mine has got to be a lot of FoG players. Particularly high levels, often with barrage, d claws, or other "elite" or very-high level gear/stats.

They seem to think they deserve to win.

Now, I've got nothing against someone with barrage and dragon claws winning. It's their attitude. The attitude being is, as best as I can tell from their actions..

"I'm a high level with better stats then you and better armour. So please go tank at the centre, like me, instead of playing cat and moues in the way which the game was intended, so I can get an easy victory over you with my superior stats."

No, I've never heard someone say it, but I just get annoyed at how people get annoyed with me for say, RUNNING INTO THE FREAKING HOUSE BECAUSE I ACTUALLY, YA KNOW, HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST BEING HIT WITH A FREAKING DRAGON CLAWS SPECIAL ATTACK!?

And, personally, if I end up against someone who's good at hiding, I enjoy it for the chase.

-Poor grammar

that annoys me.. you shouldn't judge someone on spelling and grammar..its a game if i wanted to spell or say things properly all the time id go to school -.-

You know, the point of good grammar at school ISN'T actually to, um, have good grammar at school. It's, um, so they use it in other areas in life. Now, I'm sure they weren't thinking, you know, video games when this happened... It's to actually communicate with people well. I can't get too annoyed, because, at least in your post you have good grammar and spelling. Didn't capitalize some words, but I'm not that picky. But with some people it can be atrocious. I've seen much better English typing from ESL kids then native speakers.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Random person: How much is item y? *usually with much worse grammar.*

me: At G.E, about x amount of money, but you can also buy it from NPC z.

Random person: noob, nerd or any synonym of those words.

So hard to just say thank you. <_<

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

For me it has to be pkers at the wilderness agility course.

I know i dont have to train in a pvp world, but agressive revenants can be really frustrating if im the only person there.

But what I don't understand is why people feel the need to pk others who are training agility there, i only have 27 cakes and a knife, your not going to get any decent loot, all its going to achieve is annoying me a lot! Maybe it makes them feel powerful, but it just seems so pointless to me.

96290504.pngsilasinth.png

99/99 Hunter

73/80 Smithing

74/80 Agility

71/75 Slayer

69/70 Summoning

~Silasinth~

-Poor grammar

I have a lot of friends who shorten every word, and while it annoys me, it doesn't mean I have a bad opinion of them or anything. Poor grammar annoys me because I spend much longer than necessary trying to decipher what they're saying (since some people use abbreviations for absolutely everything). You spell pretty well, and I can handle people not capitalizing some words or perhaps using commas, etc., but when people shorten every word, I have every right to be annoyed. x: Also, as mentioned, spelling things properly is not simply for school.

Also, more on topic:

Lately, I'm getting a lot of PMs asking to borrow stuff or pretty much walk people through quests. ;-; Don't get me wrong, I don't mind lending things out or answering questions, but typical conversations go as follows.

"hi can i borrow ur gs?"

"No, sorry, I'm using it."

"PLZ U HAV WHIP"

"Yes, but my SGS is my spec weapon."

"but i neeeed it"

"...I need it too"

"plzzz" And then that repeats..>_>

Even more annoying when it's the only reason they PM me... (I know I can delete them, but I feel guilty, and some friends bother me like that ocassionally. I don't want to delete people I've known for years).

[hide]sevestia.png[/hide]

OMG, where to begin?

Let's start with snot-nosed little brats who tell me I'm too old to play RuneScape. I'll be the judge of that, thank you! Where were they when some of us had to walk everywhere and deal with idiotic things like fatigue? I'll tell you where. They were filling their diapers and smiling about it - that's where! Suppose I tell you that you're too young to play RuneScape? Hmmmmm?

Then there are the morons I ignore and don't talk to because, well, they're morons. They start accusing me of being a bot and saying things like "Reported". Go ahead kid, report me. Jagex just loves false reports!

This one really ticks me off. Someone will ask me repeatedly to borrow my Dragonfire shield, refusing to take no for an answer. Then they ask the current price of the dfs. I tell them that I'm not sure what it is atm. They respond with: "Learn how to do a pc noob." If this person had ever owned a dfs or just knew the basics about it he'd know that you can't do a price check on a fully charged shield.

Edit: How did I forget this one? How maddening is it when ppl (mostly low lvls in F2P) click 'Follow' on you? Yeah, that's just what I want to do - haul your useless wagon all over creation while you bombard me with an endless stream of questions and requests to borrow this or that and ending with: "Can I have 5k?" I would absolutely love it if the only ppl who could click 'Follow' on us are the ppl on our friends list.

Alright, I think I've vented enough steam to avoid a major meltdown...all the Munchkins can come out of their hiding places now. :ohnoes:

dg7a7m.png

Let's start with snot-nosed little brats who tell me I'm too old to play RuneScape. I'll be the judge of that, thank you! Where were they when some of us had to walk everywhere and deal with idiotic things like fatigue? I'll tell you where. They were filling their diapers and smiling about it - that's where! Suppose I tell you that you're too young to play RuneScape? Hmmmmm?

Couldnt agree with you more. People tell me that im too old to play, when i am 16 years old... :thumbdown:

I hate the people who beg, beg and beg for item and wont take no for an answer. Also the ones who tell me how to train and how not. When I was low leveled, I minded my own business and gathered my own money.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.