Some 'blogger' parent thinks RS makes kids fat

shivers21

From: http://ambercrummy.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... esity.html

I have recently been compelled to type ravenously to warn you all about an epidemic... And that is a game called Runescape. I believe that it promotes childhood obesity, wastes a person's life, and promotes over the internet serious relationships that make it a haven for child molesters and/or cyber sex acts.

First let's cover what this game is... I read a bit from the wonderful Encyclopedia Dramatica, and unfortunately I admit to playing this game every now and then. But I play responsibly. It is a simple game of point and click as you hear simple MIDI music playing, the entire game is played by the click of two mouse buttons, while chat is obviously using all the letters of the keyboard. The camera angle can be adjusted with the arrowkeys. But all in all, you just click on something, wait, then the process gets done. When you work, you click... If you're high enough of a level, you will acquire the resource you wish, provided that you also have the correct equipment. Fighting consists of clicking on a 'monster' and hoping that you win the battle, with occasional equipment switches to suit the fight. Then there's eating....

In the game, if your hitpoints are low, you are wise to eat food, for it instantly heals those hitpoints. And the player's stomach is insane... Immense storage. I have seen videos of people gulping down an entire inventory of swordfish in a losing battle. Younger players can take this in a bad light. They can suddenly be brainwashed that eating immense amounts of food can help them live longer or heal faster from a simple cut or bruise. And that 'brain stamp' the game causes can harm their lives, making them obese and shunned by society for it. And they may eventually be stuck in that rut of constantly being laughed at for how they look, and refuse to even go outside and exercise, much less lead a normal life.

Back to work. Working on Runescape is simple, click on the resource... Well I've already told you the process. But that's it. That's all you do. Nothing else. When you have wasted enough of your time on that resource and have gained another level, you are free to forage for another better resource. The process repeats. Obviously cash is made from work, and then you can spend that on something that you will not own for very long, because you will end up needing the next best thing. The process is always the same. There is an end to it all as well... Let's use mining as an example: You move from level 1 to level 99, the limit. The stuff you mine goes in this order, at least I THINK it does... not naming the member items: Copper/Tin->Iron->(coal?)->Silver->Gold->Mithril->Adamant->Rune->Dragon.

After you can mine them all, what else is there to do? That's right, nothing whatsoever. That's it. Done. The END. By that time you're probably rich, maybe lacking some of the 'rare' party hats and whatever. Then all you CAN do is what a player named Zezima does, who is known to have trained up all levels of his character to 99: Just stay on top of the high score list by continuously clicking things over and over. I feel sad for this Zezima person, and hope that he does have a healthy social, spiritual, physical, and mental lifestyle. But he has wasted so much of his life clicking away, such a waste!

Anyway. I encourage you all to stay away from Runescape, World of Warcraft, games like these that are renown for being extremely addictive. And parents, get your child off Runescape before you see him wolfing down ten steaks with the excuse that the dog bite nearly made him respawn in Lumbridge, save him before the damage is really done!!!!

And here are some videos to go with this long post.

Some kids acting all too serious and talking to inanimate beings, and they make constant references to 'gods', suggesting that there is a religion that some Runescapers follow. Also there is lots of greed shown in this person who made the video. He must stop playing, though it is too late.

A video that shows accurately how female players are treated in the game. I see this all the time.

A simple 'no, I have no money for a drink' would have done well.

Cybersex taking place. No nudity obviously, but plenty of expletives. Beware. Make sure you read in the chatbox.

Oh, and when I said Zezima may not be as bad into the game, never mind... Look here.

Oh, Lord.... Look at what they're SAYING.

Zezima: I never thought I could be happier until I met you.

Elianestp: I have everything I need now.

Zezima: You've changed my life... I'm sure the future can be even better.

Elianestp: I love you Peter <3>

Gizzengard2: I think I'm gonna cry.

After watching this video, I am convinced that this person named Peter, aka Zezima, is a lost cause. But of course nothing is certain.

*SIGH*. Humans.

I read this and thought, "omgbbq"? yeeahhh, guess what guyssss, I can eat a whole shark in RUNESCAPE, now i'mm gunna do it in real life, because i'm cool like that! then I'm gunna go to god wars dungon and kill kree`ara!

Anyway, disscuss the article.

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has good points, but at same time she has bad ones.

That Runescape leads to obesity? NO. People are either lazy or they like working out, i don't think addiction of a game would affect me. I am lazy...

"A kid eating a whole bag of swordfish"? That don't make sense.

Sure kids under age of 16 can have that affect, but there's a 13 age limit to Runescape is there not?

Personally, I've always wondered why it's okay for bloggers to spend hours and hours on their computers but it's not okay for children to do it... :-s

This is, obviously, a person that neither plays the game (despite what they claim in the blog) nor has any children. It's been my experience that the people most concerned for "the safety of children" in regards to video/online games either have no children themselves or are the kind of parent that lets the television and the internet raise their kids for them.

It's very simple people, (and yes, I've done this with my own kids) you tell them it's time to stop playing and turn the damn thing off! You see, not so hard. Send them out to play or whatever. The kids who are allowed to play video/online games until they gain 100lbs. are being neglected by their parents. Plain and simple.

Sitting on your [wagon] doing no exercise does make you fat.

True, but you can sit around doing no exercise reading books as well. How come no one worries about it when kids do that? Because it's seen as being "educational"? The resulting obesity is the same.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

:sigh: What happened to the good old days when video games made you kill people?

On a serious note, while this blogger may have a few things accurate, they obviously don't know much about psychology. Hopefully, by the time a child begins playing a game like Runescape, they're psyche is already pretty well developed to be able to distinguish things like this:

They can suddenly be brainwashed that eating immense amounts of food can help them live longer or heal faster from a simple cut or bruise. And that 'brain stamp' the game causes can harm their lives, making them obese and shunned by society for it.

or this...

And parents, get your child off Runescape before you see him wolfing down ten steaks with the excuse that the dog bite nearly made him respawn in Lumbridge, save him before the damage is really done!!!!

What one person sees as 'mindless clicking' another sees an enriching and fun place.

rssig2.png

Well I ate my inventory full of swordfish during a fight at school, but I didn't stay alive long. :(

People think everything you see you feel like doing. I see someone die, so I must now have the inclination to kill myself?

Her logic is beyond idiotic; she's insane. Either that or she's a failing behaviorist.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

ROFLCOPTER

In the game, if your hitpoints are low, you are wise to eat food, for it instantly heals those hitpoints. And the player's stomach is insane... Immense storage. I have seen videos of people gulping down an entire inventory of swordfish in a losing battle. Younger players can take this in a bad light. They can suddenly be brainwashed that eating immense amounts of food can help them live longer or heal faster from a simple cut or bruise. And that 'brain stamp' the game causes can harm their lives, making them obese and shunned by society for it.

That actually made me laugh in real life.

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

Sitting on your [wagon] doing no exercise does make you fat.

True, but this person thinks that kids will think that if they can eat so much in runescape, they will do it irl, and get fat because of that.

@ Sir hemen

There is, but now with Jagex advertizing on miniclip and all those other gaming sites, people just ignore that (hehe, I started RS at age 9 ;) )

And I agree with Kaida23, I find it funny, I'm 16 years old, and I'm doing virtual school (email between teachers and students) so when i'm typing up a science report or doing a LA test, my dad will yell at me to get off my computer, because i've been on it for an hour, WHILE HE IS WATCHING TV.

Well that might just be my dysfunctional family, who knows.

FRONTPAGE.png

When will people realize that the "addicting" nature of MMORPG's is part of a more serious problem. Frankly, real life sucks. If you don't agree with me, then you aren't old enough yet. Every profession/line of work that you could possibly dream of being a part of is completely corrupt with stupid people. Aside from establishing your own business...there is really nothing you are going to be able to do in life where you aren't held down by the corruption of the mediocrity in society.

MMORPGs let us live in a world that is actually fun to exist in. Own your own guild...advertise your own specialized professions, interact givingly with strangers without the danger of them kidnapping you and holding you for ransom...and you get to fight dragons. :thumbsup:

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Well, most bloggers simple are shooting their fat mouth (or fat something else) off. Best not to take them serious, or let them get to you.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Seriously this lady has good points, but some of her points are so funny....

I love seeing funny things like this.

Also the responses:

Lol

Well I ate my inventory full of swordfish during a fight at school, but I didn't stay alive long. :(

he stuff you mine goes in this order Copper/Tin->Iron->(coal?)->Silver->Gold->Mithril->Adamant->Rune->Dragon.

FRONTPAGE.png

I lol'ed.

That woman... there are no words to describe it. I think she left out alcohol though - you can actually own your OWN beer keg with unlimited alcohol. Won't somebody please think of the children?!? :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

That makes no sense at all, it is not a human capability to eat a whole bag of swordfish, I think you can barely eat an entire swordfish yourself.

Promotes to being fat? They're not saying GO EAT 10 LOBSTERS IRL, it's just a way to heal, there are also potions and other kind of stuff.

Secondly, I have to say, WHAT THE [CENSOR]. Look at the video of the woman, Who the hell says Hi Stud to a lv 3 who looks like a macroer? And even if that happened, it could have been anyone, he said noob, which is used as an unisex word, he didn't say 'go away you *girl joke here, which I doubt there is*.

Third, cybersex, that's people's fault if they want to do that or not, there is NOT a big banner saying GO HAVE CYBERSEX PLX. It is people who make that, a 13 years old person should be able to recognize what is good and what is wrong, under 13 people playing? THEIR fault, there IS a restriction, not our fault that they just ignore it. It is THEIR problem if they get cheated into going on one of these kind of things.

All she said was click, click and click, what about other things? Not all in game are skills, fighting a battle in hope to win? What about running, hiding to heal, there are strategies to fight, it's not all clicking, you have a think a little too!

P.S: Dragon Ore :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Now that I think of it, she might be a troll XD

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I only skimmed the first bunch of posts but I didn't see this mentioned...

I read a bit from the wonderful Encyclopedia Dramatica

I don't know whether I should be more surprised at:

1: A parent knows what that is.

2: Anyone thinks that's a source of information.

3: Someone would state that they use it as an actual source of information...

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

I only skimmed the first bunch of posts but I didn't see this mentioned...

I read a bit from the wonderful Encyclopedia Dramatica

I don't know whether I should be more surprised at:

1: A parent knows what that is.

2: Anyone thinks that's a source of information.

3: Someone would state that they use it as an actual source of information...

I forgot to mention about ED... since when the hell was that a valid source? O_o

EDIT: Now that I think of it, she might be a troll XD

Same here actually =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That might have been more convincing if she didn't do such a crap job at explaining the game, she made it sound like all you do in the game is training resource skills :wall:

It still would deserve a ROFLMAO!! though :lol:

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg