Optical Illusio?s

Pinkbullet3

Do you have a favorite optical illusion? These things have been fascinating me since I read about them in a book back in elementary school.

[hide=Stare at the cross.]circlingillusion.gif

Explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilac_chaser[/hide]

:shock:

Also:

[hide=The Spinning Dancer]Spinning_Dancer.gif

The Spinning Dancer appears to move both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

I first saw it as moving clockwise, but when I tried to imagine the outstretched arm going behind her rather than in front, then the direction seems to magically change for a few seconds.[/hide]

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, that one's sweet. I'm personally a fan of Escher, who does black and white drawings with perspective illusions.

[hide=Self Portrait]M.C.%20Escher,%20Hand%20with%20Reflecting%20Sphere..jpg[/hide]

[hide=Self-drawing hands]m_c_escher_canvas_print-p228199005588725366t5ta_400.jpg[/hide]

[hide=The coolest ones]mc_escher02.jpg

escher-waterfall-medium.jpg[/hide]

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing, Pinkbullet3. :?

The Cross illusion seems to be a poorly-made GIF, and the Spinning Dancer is only moving counter-clockwise from what I can tell. I must not have an eye for optical illusions in general. :lol:

M. C. Escher's work is fairly interesting though.

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing, Pinkbullet3. :?

The Cross illusion seems to be a poorly-made GIF, and the Spinning Dancer is only moving counter-clockwise from what I can tell. I must not have an eye for optical illusions in general. :lol:

M. C. Escher's work is fairly interesting though.

The purple dots are supposed to disappear, leaving only a few while a green dot takes over and goes around the circle.

The Spinning Dancer is a harder one. It takes me about 20 seconds for the dancer to go the other way, and then it only goes the other way for about 6 seconds and then it goes back to the original way. :x

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

The spinning dancer went clockwise for me first, then it switched after maybe 15 seconds, then went back.

My favorite:

Stare at the four black dots in the center of the image for 30 - 60 seconds.

Then quickly close your eyes and look at something bright (like a lamp or a window

with sunlight coming through it). You should see a white circle with an image inside it.

jesus.gif

sigh.png

The spinning dancer is going clockwise. She doesn't even look like she's going counter-clockwise. Look at any body part. Her hair, her breasts, dat [wagon]. She's going clockwise.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I've seen the spinning dancer before, and I can switch the direction at will. You just have to look at the legs, and force your eyes to switch direction for her to spin the opposite way.

The spinning dots one is cool as well.

The spinning dancer is going clockwise. She doesn't even look like she's going counter-clockwise. Look at any body part. Her hair, her breasts, dat [wagon]. She's going clockwise.

It takes effort, but she can definitly spin both directions.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I've seen the spinning dancer before, and I can switch the direction at will. You just have to look at the legs, and force your eyes to switch direction for her to spin the opposite way.

The spinning dots one is cool as well.

It takes effort, but she can definitly spin both directions.

I can make her "spin counter clockwise" as well. But she's spinning clockwise.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

When you can suddenly make it change direction, it feels so weird. The fact that it actually looks like the animation is spinning in a different direction on its own just drives me nuts. :x

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I'm able to make the dancer spin, but i would like to know how it works...

What exactly do you mean?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Ouch. :shock:

There are tonnes of these things in all the maths classrooms at my school. Annoying distractions. :thumbdown:

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

I remember seeing the spinning dancer ages ago. Took me a while to figure out how the illusion works and how to get it to switch directions at will.

The trick (as far as I can tell) is in her foot. Below is a still from the illusion showing the movement pattern of her foot.

11704511.png

Although it may be hard to tell, her foot does not actually fully rotate as it's direction is limited to the red line. In order to discern this for yourself you should cover up the image (paper/hand) leaving only her foot exposed, then hopefully you'll be able to tell that it moves in an arc and should be able to switch directions at will. ;)

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Can't get that damn dancer to work. -.-

I hate her. She's evil, I say, EVIL! :ohnoes:

i couldnt get it to work either. what i did was slowly work my way down the legs, untill i was seeing one foot orbit around the other. i then stared at the lighter grey shadow below for a couple of seconds and she swapped directions. i think the lighter grey allowed me to not concentrate on the image as hard, as when i looked back at the black legs, they were going another direction.

as for the spinning purple dot thing, i found i could make a green dot appear easily where there is no dot spinning just by looking at the image. to make the purple dots disappear i had to stare quite hard at the cross in the center

Can't get that damn dancer to work. -.-

I hate her. She's evil, I say, EVIL! :ohnoes:

i couldnt get it to work either. what i did was slowly work my way down the legs, untill i was seeing one foot orbit around the other. i then stared at the lighter grey shadow below for a couple of seconds and she swapped directions. i think the lighter grey allowed me to not concentrate on the image as hard, as when i looked back at the black legs, they were going another direction.

as for the spinning purple dot thing, i found i could make a green dot appear easily where there is no dot spinning just by looking at the image. to make the purple dots disappear i had to stare quite hard at the cross in the center

GRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall: I will get it before I get off the internet. -.-

EDIT: WOOHOOO! I GOT IT! YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! \'

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Damn that dancer's flipping annoying! Any tips? I've tried everything - covering up everything except her foot, her shadow, staring at it for minutes on end, trying to imagine her switching legs or one arm being in front, going in a arc, nothing's working!

Damn that dancer's flipping annoying! Any tips? I've tried everything - covering up everything except her foot, her shadow, staring at it for minutes on end, trying to imagine her switching legs or one arm being in front, going in a arc, nothing's working!

She's really spinning clockwise and can only spin counter clockwise halfway at her feet so it

s not really that great of an optical illusion.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg