Advertisement Blocking

TheDecline

I know that Jagex's income from advertisements on the website pay for costs of the F2P servers.

But here is my discussion.. this does not apply to me as I am on my own computer.

The rule is: You must not deliberately block or hide the adverts which appear above the free version of our game. If you have advert blocking software please prevent it from blocking adverts on our website. The adverts above the free game are what enable us to keep it free, after all!

For minors using parents computers: What if the parent has Firefox with Adblock and refuses the kid to add any exceptions to it? Should he/she not be able play due to their parents stance on online security?

For people using Public/Library computers: What if their system has the same as the latter or different software to protect their computers and help them run more smoothly and they do not let users have the options to disable or make exceptions to the software?

For the everyday internet browser who uses ablock: Why should we have to sacrifice speed and the risk of getting a virus from one of Jagex's advert just to play? (In the past I have reported an advertisement to Jagex that did give a virus, they did deal with it immediately though).

What is everyone's stance on this?

I reckon the kid should try to explain to his parents that it's the only way Jagex would be able to afford him playing.

At a library ect you don't really have a choice =/

If you think that adverts on any of Jagex's websites are going to give you viruses then you're insane. Jagex are the most security concious game makers I've ever played games of. You can report adverts if they're clogging up too much speed ect, so I don't think that you SHOULD block adverts. I've got my adblock off Jagex (and here :P) and it doesn't even slow me (with the worst computer ever) down. There IS the risk of viruses since Jagex can't control what adverts go up exactly, but like you said they'll respond to it immediately and it shouldn't deter you from showing adverts.

Blocking advertisements isn't really the worst thing you can do, but I like to think of it as doing a favour to Jagex by clicking on and seeing adverts.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well.....I wish they'd just stick to normal GIFs and stuff like that. Not that it matters to me since I'm not F2P, but I recalled several occasions when flash ads made me lag a bit when they refreshed. Not the best timing in some situations.

Speaking of annoying ads, has anybody noticed rs gold selling ads again lately?

8f14270694.jpg

I must say, this is wrong. Those people you mentioned there simply underestimated the power of adverts. Adverts make money for companies, why people block it, I do not know. But whatever reason why they do this, I am simply against this. Adblock should be sued. :shame:

Gold-selling adverts are the only exception. However, lately I see NONE of those type of adverts on my comp, so there is still no reason to block RS adverts.

Oh and by the way RS adverts are proven not to contain viruses.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I must say, this is wrong. Those people you mentioned there simply underestimated the power of adverts. Adverts make money for companies, why people block it, I do not know. But whatever reason why they do this, I am simply against this. Adblock should be sued. :shame:

Uh yeah, sure.. sue a program that does nothing illegal.

Though Jagex has their rights when they say "you block ads, we block you".

I play on an old PC. If I was f2p (which I'm not), I couldn't play at all when those fancy flash ads come to play. Sure, reducing the quality helps a bit but it'd still be a very unpleasant gaming experience.

I have nothing against good ads (gif ads etc.) that don't eat up 99% of my processing time.

So yes, in my opinion the rule and/or the ads need tweaking.

my stance is that the system that jagex has in place for f2p players to enjoy f2p for as long as they want is great. anybody who takes advantage of it is stupid as hell. nobody has ever been banned for it. i don't see the discussion value.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

FFFFFFFF. I've been hiding the adverts since the dawn of time when on Runescape. I didn't know this was against the rules, at all. :/

Eejits.png

"Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

They've stated they could only take action if you admitted to it in-game or elsewhere.

I see a TV commercial.

I change the channel.

Sue the TV maker for allowing the channel to be changed during an advert. :wall:

Personally, as a F2P, I don't mind the ads, but I never click them. And that is a good idea, whoever said it, to make the ads go away after clicking them. That would earn more money for Jagex and the player could go on with their playing.

By the way... who said ads can give viruses? I don't think it's possible to get viruses just by looking at them. If you click on them, sure, that's a different story. But not from displaying them.

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

The only adverts I have ever though of blocking are the flash ones, but I don't. I played at my aunt's once, and she won't let anyone view them, so I only played until I noticed it. Personally, I think blocking them is a little bit pointless, with the exception of the flash ones, but I don't care if you do.

If you mind the flash ads, you can install Flashblock for Firefox. I don't think Jagex will mind, because they can't force you to install flash on your browser. And most ads will probably serve you a .gif version when the system notices you don't have flash installed on your browser.

They could just change it, so if you click the advert it goes away. I think they'd actually get far more hits that way.

Of course another advert should re-appear if you close the browser and open again.

They would get a ton more hits :thumbup:

6he242p.jpg

"Be Excellent To Each Other"

Yeah I don't really care, I am going to use adblocker. I hate ads so much, that if I turn off my adblocker and actually see one I go into shock...

Whoever invented the ANNOYING ads, I hate you. I don't mind cool one's that actually make sense though.

Big_Stingman.png

My logic when it comes to adverts is simple. Members pay to play the game every month. F2P however, don't pay for the game, and I think that adverts are their method of paying for the game. The game isn't free to run and F2P should do their bit to pay for playing the game by simply allowing an advert at the top of the screen which rarely interferes with the actually block the game.

I personally think if people don't want to play with ads then they should pay for their membership. Pick either method of payment.