Weekly Poll: Tip.It Twitter Feature

Cowman_133

still didn't get an answer to my question: what is Twitter?

But I'm guessing it's something like Facebook/Netlog? Online community stuff?

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter is a micro-blogging service.

If a twitter account was to be used for tip.it I would say just posting any of the updates that normally would appear on the site would be fine. Also maybe putting links to the Tip.it Events would be another way to notify more people about them. What I would suggest not to do is post Runescape updates on there like other fansites do. If I'm following Tip.it I'm almost guaranteed to be following Jagex as well, I won't need two posts about the same update. So basically just post when new guides, polls, tip.it times, and events are up or happening. Anything else would be cool but not really needed.

That's the kind of input we were thinking of too, however, we first want to know if some people actually will use it. I don't think this poll will reflect that though as a lot of people don't know what Twitter is, or vote yes, but won't ever use it.

It would not matter whether anyone 'uses' (follows the account) @RuneTips; if Tip.It has the required RSS feeds for Times, News, and Events up to a modern and working standard, then the twitter account requires no input from human beings, thus not mattering whether anyone would 'use' it or not. (On the other hand, accounts which lack human input and have content based solely upon RSS feeds is not seen as very appealing on Twitter. If there was a experienced Twitterer ( ahem ::' ) who could post news and on-goings in the RuneScape world, this would enhance the Tip.It Twitter account.)

Furthermore, as a suggestion to improve RSS feeds to then improve Twitter, Tip.It could implement RSS feeds into the forum. Any Hot Topics could be tagged, or such, and will then appear in the Hot Topic RSS feed, and then into Twitter. 0 maintenance.

EDIT: Someone has messed with the account settings, and most updates may not be coming through.

I have, I found it unnecessary to also have it put out RuneScape news when you can follow OfficialJagex and get the same from them. Same with the times, since we always announce it so i found it rather redundant.

If no one wants a Twitter Account, or the numbers are small, we won't put the effort into it and have manual updates on it. If people are going to use it enough to be worth it, then we can look into improving our RSS Feed as well as other suggestions put on this thread. TET would be an obvious possibility if people want this account to be officialized. I'm not sure what we will do with it if the interest isn't there.

1.png
generic_signature.png

We don't care about twitter.

sure, it's a current craze, whether or not the staff decides to create one is ultimately up to them.

I wouldn't care that much as long as we weren't forced to go on twitter to get the low-down on future updates and contests (that's what alot of fansites, etc are using it for)

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I wouldn't care that much as long as we weren't forced to go on twitter to get the low-down on future updates and contests (that's what alot of fansites, etc are using it for)

I'm speaking for myself now, but I dislike that too. Our main information channels are the forums and the mainsite, putting stuff on Twitter just to get traffic there seems like a bad idea to me. I prefer one clear, open and well known channel then several. Especially if a lot of those are "unknown" by the general population (something like Jagex is doing right now -.-).

I think most of the staff is against such use too.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Why?

You have a nice website, a front page with big bold print to advertise.

Why revert back to 1 line ascii text messages like it's the internet in its infancy?

Twitter makes no sense.

Texting on a phone where you can actually send and recieve voice makes no sense.

But if you prefer to regress like the rest of society be my guest.

I couldn't care less about live one sentence updates of "hey we gonna update the homepage this week", "couldn't update stuck in the bathroom", etc...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

All the Twitter account will be doing is reflecting the homepage (for those of you who don't understand what twitter is).

Yes, this is the same as RSS feeds, but if the 37 people who are currently follow @RuneTips don't have RSS readers, then why not give them the same info and updates on twitter?

I'm not sure if any of the staff understand twitter, but if you want me to have the account back and take care of it, I'd be happy to.

Texting on a phone where you can actually send and recieve voice makes no sense.

No matter how much you think it doesn't mate sense, it's one of the most popular things right now. And that's what we're trying to figure out right now, if a lot of people will actually follow it, it doesn't matter to me how stupid it is.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

I voted no, but only because the question asked if I would like to see it. I'm not a fan of twitter, so I'm obviously not going to follow Tip.It. On the other hand, I couldn't see a negative impact being made by creating a twitter account. As other people have mentioned, just don't start posting "exclusive" information there. If you are using it to try and draw twitters to Tip.It than it sound like it could be a good idea. If you find yourself using Tip.It to lure people to twitter, than I'm against it. Either way, twitter just ain't my thang.

rssig2.png

Argh....why have a site then? Most people on twitter use it cause they want to be social and cannot afford a site or manage to create a popular blog...we got loads of members here and I doubt we need to go around trying to be social, thats what we got the game for.

Btw twitter is for nubs :lol:

Link2fast.png

mybbsig.png

Argh....why have a site then? Most people on twitter use it cause they want to be social and cannot afford a site or manage to create a popular blog...we got loads of members here and I doubt we need to go around trying to be social, thats what we got the game for.

Btw twitter is for nubs :lol:

Some of the largest websites and blogs in the world use twitter post their latest news and blogposts to their followers instantly.

I voted no.

I find twitter stupid and pointless why would anyone need to post stuff that is already posted on the main page? They don't it as simple as that. It would be a waste of staff and volunteer time to do this when they could be updating neglected guides that are as old as the hills which realy makes the site look outdated and could turn away potential users. Tip.it needs to fix their own site before they go and try to join a pointless craze which is basically telling everyone what your doing when you do it like "amg I post tweet because I bought milk at da store!@@!@".

Seems like a bad way to try and get more users to Tip.it because Jagex will most likely talk about the Tip.it twitter which inturn will send the kids over to Tip.it twitter who will advertise their fan site which will send us more people who do consist of trolls.

Personally if I saw some of the guides on Tip.it and was a first time user I would x out and never return here because the guides are just horrid and serverly outdated. I understand crew positions are all volunteer jobs but it doesn't take long to write simple guide and get some inventory and setup pictures together then others can make the guide better by adding tip's are such.

But drifting back to the topic of twitter it is dumb, pointless, and just a huge waste of time which could be spent bettering Tip.it.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

It would be a waste of staff and volunteer time to do this when they could be updating neglected guides that are as old as the hills which realy makes the site look outdated and could turn away potential users. Tip.it needs to fix their own site before they go and try to join a pointless craze which is basically telling everyone what your doing when you do it like "amg I post tweet because I bought milk at da store!@@!@".

Personally if I saw some of the guides on Tip.it and was a first time user I would x out and never return here because the guides are just horrid and serverly outdated. I understand crew positions are all volunteer jobs but it doesn't take long to write simple guide and get some inventory and setup pictures together then others can make the guide better by adding tip's are such.

Saying things like 'tipits guides are horrid and severely outdated' does not give us an idea of what is wrong with them and which guides are out of date. Not everyone on crew has what it takes to write a guide, not everyone wants to write a guide, and everyone on crew has their own responsibilities to deal with. Its not really easy or fast to write a guide, especially a big one which requires tons of input. When guide editors have time, they do take up a guide to improve and they do their best to ensure it is easy to follow. Some of the stuff on the website was written back in RuneScape Classic and we have not had sufficient manpower or submissions to to bring them up to Tip.It's current standards. If you have a problem with some of our guides, please act on it and turn in a submission in the Website Corrections Forum. We cannot guess what the problems you have with our guides are. While corrections do sometimes take time to get to, especially if they need in-game confirmation, it's better to have it there so it can be fixed when we have enough time to do so.

Thank you.

1.png
generic_signature.png

I'd like to take this opportunity to promote our feedback forums. If you think a guide is outdated and is in need of update, please post there! We really appreciate it! Of course I can't promise anything and bigger updates will certainly take a while, but it's vital for our existence to get this kind of feedback. It may seem we have quite a big crew, but only a small percentage of them are actually assigned to write guides: keeping the databases and maps up to date, coding, making calculators, it all takes more work then you probably imagine (so did I before I joined the crew). To make matters even worse, some people actually have busy lifes at the moment (*shivers*).

So bottom line is, please post if you think something is wrong on the site.

If you need direction to those very hidden and secret forums I just spoke of ;): http://forum.tip.it/viewforum.php?f=186 and http://forum.tip.it/viewforum.php?f=60.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

one of these days ima go thru ur entire site then post u guys a nice huuuugggeeeee list of all the things tht r wrong due to outdatedness.

I meant to ages ago to be helpful

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

lol paw claw you can do better than that, I've seen you write guides.

Give us details and we shall do our best to fix em ... but if we have to go into the game to verify stuff, it has to sit a lot longer. :(

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Yeah by list i meant a list of wrongs and fixes.

And i know i write guides I did one or two nice ones for y'all b4 i was a noooobbbbb and got fired lol

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It would be a waste of staff and volunteer time to do this when they could be updating neglected guides that are as old as the hills which realy makes the site look outdated and could turn away potential users. Tip.it needs to fix their own site before they go and try to join a pointless craze which is basically telling everyone what your doing when you do it like "amg I post tweet because I bought milk at da store!@@!@".

Saying things like 'tipits guides are horrid and severely outdated' does not give us an idea of what is wrong with them and which guides are out of date. Not everyone on crew has what it takes to write a guide, not everyone wants to write a guide, and everyone on crew has their own responsibilities to deal with. Its not really easy or fast to write a guide, especially a big one which requires tons of input. When guide editors have time, they do take up a guide to improve and they do their best to ensure it is easy to follow. Some of the stuff on the website was written back in RuneScape Classic and we have not had sufficient manpower or submissions to to bring them up to Tip.It's current standards. If you have a problem with some of our guides, please act on it and turn in a submission in the Website Corrections Forum. We cannot guess what the problems you have with our guides are. While corrections do sometimes take time to get to, especially if they need in-game confirmation, it's better to have it there so it can be fixed when we have enough time to do so.

Thank you.

Personally I don't read most of the old guides because they don't apply to me but they did when I joined and I had looked at them I would have most likely turned away and joined a more updated fansite. I was pointing it out and giving a reason and such.I don't appreciate you telling me to do this and that to fix the guides because that wasn't the main point of what I was saying.

The guides need fixing it's obvious and Tip.it realies on the community to help make those guides better with correction I get that. But there is also people who are very good at writing guides who volunteer to help Tip.it with their skills and frankly I havn't seen much of that especially after they had that major recruiting session with the addition of 3 more crewbies a few days ago. I understand it takes alot to maintain a site but there an abundance of people who are willing to help out Tip.it if they got offered to do so. So if you don't have the manpower than I suggest you grab some of those people and ask them to write guides rather than relying on them to do it out of good will. But this isn't a discussion about Tip.it's crew and/or guides it's about twitter which clearly is something we don't need to do when our own site isn't even up to date.

Don't start a new goal until you have finished or given up on the old one.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

So should we should just put on hold the Tip.it Times, Tip.it Events, and Forum Crewbie Projects until all of Tip.it's guides are up to scratch? You don't have to focus on one thing until it is finished, and I would hardly call making a Tip.it twitter account a new goal. It would take what, less than a day to set up? The Twitter account could take zero maintenance if it just ran of the current Tip.it RSS feed.

So should we should just put on hold the Tip.it Times, Tip.it Events, and Forum Crewbie Projects until all of Tip.it's guides are up to scratch? You don't have to focus on one thing until it is finished, and I would hardly call making a Tip.it twitter account a new goal. It would take what, less than a day to set up? The Twitter account could take zero maintenance if it just ran of the current Tip.it RSS feed.

The times and events are hardly a new goal as they have been around for awhile and are run by what I see as a well staffed group of people. As for crewbie projects I realy don't know much about them.

As the main post said it'd be needed volunteers to keep this twitter updated which could be time spent on improving our guides.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

By guthix NO TWITTER!

I realize twitter appeals to the general age range of the RS fanbase, but...

A respectable site like tip.it should not stoop to the level of fad technology like that.

Man it took a long time to write something about twitter that wasnt a flame.

Brought to you by the word: Collusion (price fixing).

Its what Merchant clans do to ruin the economy for personal gain.

Balance out the GE! Skill Kill and Merch for YOURSELF.

Asellus5.png

May Guthix bring you balance.