Does your vote count?

Zierro

Do you think your vote makes a difference or not?

I don't think mine does, unless the votes are tied which is extremely rare so I wouldn't count that. Look at how many people there are voting. Those are slim odds. :)

Votes only make an actual difference if your vote could balance the outcome from one side to the other. Usually that's not the case. Certainly not with the elections. Though, voting is good, because if everyone just dropped their vote because it wouldn't make a difference, then you don't have an accurate representation of what the people want. And that is important.

Funny example though. We've had for the city council. And I decided not to vote. After the elections I heard that "my" party needed one more vote for an extra seat in the city council :D Well, that's just a small community, so that's why this could've happened. Though it was quite funny.

In the grand scheme of things - no. To help you get your ego trip once every 4 or 5 years, then yes.

However voting as a concept is good. And is worthwhile. Freedom of expressions blah blah blah. All that cal.

It's funny because on its own an individual vote doesn't mean anything, unless you want to be all pretentious and go ooh ahh, it gives me my freedoms, anyway, as I was saying.

Also its only how the vote tips in favour of the elected that actually matters. I don't give a damn.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong.

OK. One vote is insignificant. Unless it tips the balance. What if a certain party was the equivalent of some hard right wing "thing" and yet everyone voted for them. Even though it wasn't "right". Again voting is a process determining what is good and bad, all all shades in between. However it is a raw and blatant numerical value with little to no siginificance to the value being conveyed. Socrates debated this before he died. Socrates was judged and prosecuted, and out voted to die by about 20% of the voters in the court, if I remember correctly. So yeah.

Socrates was judged and prosecuted, and out voted to die by about 20% of the voters in the court, if I remember correctly.

That's the problem I've always had with democracy. It only works to satisfy the majority no matter how ridiculous, not to do what's fair or what's right.

It counts, but obviously it only makes up a very small fraction of all the other votes that count too.

That's a very nice way of putting it, because it sounds optimistic but it's still accurate.

statistically, no. but i still tink voting is important.

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

It's a Tragedy of the Commons. If everyone took an interest in politics and voted, we'd all be better off because then politicians wouldn't be able to get away with so much and everyone would give their potentially valuable input. But for the individual it's better not to put the time in because your one vote is very unlikely to change the outcome of the election. It ends up that few people bother to vote, because most people follow their self interest.

I never understood the argument that if you don't vote you can't complain. If you look at the outcome after an election and find that even if you had voted it wouldn't have changed the result, then I'd say that you're still entitled to complain.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Voting in Australia is mandatory so yes, your vote does count, even if it is 1/20million. It doesn't matter the size of the population voting because what if it comes down to 50/50 and you did a dummy vote. Then you'd feel like a stupid idiot. Whether the size of population voting is 1 billion people or 10 people, your vote always counts.

Your vote counts just as much as everyone else's, which is only fair.

But for each person who doesn't use their vote, my vote becomes relatively more significant, meaning I and my fellow voters have more power compared to those who do not vote.

Or atleast I have the illusion of having power. \'

In the UK general elections my vote makes no difference because I'm in one of the strongest Labour constituencies in the country (Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath - Gordon Brown's constituency), you could put any idiot in a Labour rosette here and they'd win.

In the Scottish parliamentary elections we have the added PR system so that makes the vote count for me a bit more.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Since my voting system was invented by some crazy canadians, my vote doesn't count. However, that's only because I vote for the Green party, essentially killing my vote at the municipal level and doesn't go on to anything higher.

hiccup.png

Even if you don't think it counts, you should still vote. If you can vote but don't then you don't have a right to complain the country.

You should always have the right to complain. That's the best way to get things done when it comes to government.

Even if you don't think it counts, you should still vote. If you can vote but don't then you don't have a right to complain the country.

You should always have the right to complain. That's the best way to get things done when it comes to government.

I don't think a person that didn't vote should be allowed to complain about governmental leaders, knowing that they didn't do anything to stop that person from reaching power.

Oh, and voting matters.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Your individual vote doesn't count. Yet if everyone doesn't vote, thats where you get problems. So you are better off voting.

I don't get this logic, or perhaps my logic is flawed. Everyone's vote counts; your vote counts. I don't get the if the vote's are tied logic. Why does you vote count, or matter morem then? It still counts the same; your vote isn't the one that will "tip the scale," all of the ones that voted for whoever counted the same. Even here, your vote is worth the same as Joe Smo, whether he was the one who voted 250th and you when the votes were tied.

sigh.png

Voting in the American electorial college is useless. Only by popular vote should democracy stand.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I usually cast blank votes so I'd say mine makes a difference (however small) in not electing the wrong person over ticking random boxes :lol:

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.