2nd June 2009 - Hunt for the Red Raktuber + Patch Notes

darkjab

One Small favor is funn, takes you on a trip along whole central RS. Every task is just at the next village. Really liked it and the reward. Altough they make more and more good quests. I wouldnt bother to get trough a cave full of traps with some creature at the end for once (somelike temple of Ikov, but it dousnt has a monster).

Mazgar, instead of flaming the idiot who wont understand anyway, tell me the plot :P, dont bother, I already know it.

Something like Underground pass? - It's my favourite quest still :P. (I love how you get supplies during the quest, and don't need to restock EVER).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad quest, think it had a good plot with a decent reward for the time put into completeing it.

[hide=Spoiler]Think its good how they've tied together Slug, Penguin and Red Axe Storylines so this is almost definatly building up to the next Grandmaster Quest that has been mentioned before (in the Dwarf Dev Diaries I think). Hope its on par with WGS[/hide]

The red Axe isn't tied into this.

The dwarves in this quest fractured off from the Red Axe, meaning they weren't a part of it anymore.

The Red Axe plays no part in the penguin series.

Also the connection with the sea slug is very, very loose, actually in the end the connection seems to be going to be "undone" by the KGB.. (altough a twist can still be there where the slugs actual start controlling the penguins, it would make the story very far-stretched).

The captain was under the control of a slug. That's where that connection comes from. What that may mean for the future, I can't say. I'm looking forward to meeting mother Mallum though.

How often do Jagex bring quests lines together without some plan of doing it again in the future?

[hide=Probable spoilers]> The Submarine could have come up anywhere but they chose Witchhaven.

> They made the captain be under the influence of a slug - Another race trying to conqueror Gielinor.

> The whole scene involving the Captain was a build up to the dramatic unveiling of the slug.

> The whole fish-hat thing was based on the fact the Captain had a Sea Slug on his Head, otherwise it would have been pointless.

> The dwarves, rather than been non-specific dwarven engineers that defect, are specifically labelled as Red Axe.

> Red Axe is creating an army of Chaos Dwarves, so has violent intentions, with the help of an Ogre(?) Shaman[/hide]

Its all become woven together like some of the other quests before WGS

-- 2001 Starter --

moki.png

Not a bad quest, think it had a good plot with a decent reward for the time put into completeing it.

[hide=Spoiler]Think its good how they've tied together Slug, Penguin and Red Axe Storylines so this is almost definatly building up to the next Grandmaster Quest that has been mentioned before (in the Dwarf Dev Diaries I think). Hope its on par with WGS[/hide]

The red Axe isn't tied into this.

The dwarves in this quest fractured off from the Red Axe, meaning they weren't a part of it anymore.

The Red Axe plays no part in the penguin series.

Also the connection with the sea slug is very, very loose, actually in the end the connection seems to be going to be "undone" by the KGB.. (altough a twist can still be there where the slugs actual start controlling the penguins, it would make the story very far-stretched).

The captain was under the control of a slug. That's where that connection comes from. What that may mean for the future, I can't say. I'm looking forward to meeting mother Mallum though.

How often do Jagex bring quests lines together without some plan of doing it again in the future?

[hide=Probable spoilers]> The Submarine could have come up anywhere but they chose Witchhaven.

> They made the captain be under the influence of a slug - Another race trying to conqueror Gielinor.

> The whole scene involving the Captain was a build up to the dramatic unveiling of the slug.

> The whole fish-hat thing was based on the fact the Captain had a Sea Slug on his Head, otherwise it would have been pointless.

> The dwarves, rather than been non-specific dwarven engineers that defect, are specifically labelled as Red Axe.

> Red Axe is creating an army of Chaos Dwarves, so has violent intentions, with the help of an Ogre(?) Shaman[/hide]

Its all become woven together like some of the other quests before WGS

I think the Red Axe part was an inside joke.

Note how the dwarves mentioned it was taking forever for the Red Axe to make their move. That seems like Jagex developers poking fun at each other. The penguins Ping and Pong are based off of Jagex employees too I think. Although I could be remembering a quote wrong.. :roll:

Can anyone give a tip for the room with the cubes?

I've tried over 30 times just the last part and the ****ing penguin catches me. even resorted to guides, and no joy

did i mention i hate quests? grrr :ohnoes:

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

I've tried over 30 times just the last part and the ****ing penguin catches me. even resorted to guides, and no joy

Enter the north side of the last room instead of the south side.

You're welcome.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Checked the code for the champions challenges on existing npcs, and added it to several creatures drop tables.

im guessing you all missed this CHAMPIONS CHALLANGE IS BACK ON

or at least the way i interperted it check back at the champions arena and go for the new scrolls i think one is obby monster scroll

OTMSigXD.png

It was a very entertaining quest and i enjoyed it immensley.

However i doubt there will be a grandmaster quest based on this and if there is it certainly wont be on the scale of WGS.

On the other hand what is certain is that there will be more quests along the story line as it links:

Cold War, Wanted! and a dwarf quest(?) together, and we ended on a cliffhanger........

Anyhoo my main concern is..... IS LARRY ALRIGHT?! :o :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Checked the code for the champions challenges on existing npcs, and added it to several creatures drop tables.

or at least the way i interperted it check back at the champions arena and go for the new scrolls i think one is obby monster scroll

You are quite off actually. :P

What they said is since the graphics team updated monsters to have different looks and added new kinds of an allready existing monster, they now drop champion scrolls aswell.

For example, only some skeletons dropped the skeleton scroll before.

Now all kinds of skeletons drop the skeleton scroll.

What they said is since the graphics team updated monsters to have different looks and added new kinds of an allready existing monster, they now drop champion scrolls aswell.

Aye but what exactly is the point in the champion scrolls as they are so rare to obtain?

Until jagex changes the drop rate to be a bit more generous it's a silly thing.

However as you pointed out Den all kinds of different monsters now drop them.... like fire giants will drop the giant scroll etc. and all skeletons drop the skeleton one.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Aye but what exactly is the point in the champion scrolls as they are so rare to obtain?

Until jagex changes the drop rate to be a bit more generous it's a silly thing.

However as you pointed out Den all kinds of different monsters now drop them.... like fire giants will drop the giant scroll etc. and all skeletons drop the skeleton one.

With this year being an update year and now Jagex has actually gone back and checked to see what monsters are dropping challenge scrolls perhaps an overhaul is coming along.

And thanks to seeing a bunch of people getting champion scrolls lately I've now set up camp with some Hill Giants and I'm going to be killing them for the next 10 days maybe i'll get lucky and get a scroll before my membership expires! :lol:

Dark_Jab.png

However i doubt there will be a grandmaster quest based on this and if there is it certainly wont be on the scale of WGS.

On the other hand what is certain is that there will be more quests along the story line as it links:

Cold War, Wanted! and a dwarf quest(?) together, and we ended on a cliffhanger........

You're not the only one my friend, you're not the only one. Don't worry, Larry is a smart guy. He'll pull through somehow. And soon we will travel to where he is, bring our big shiny sword and lay the [bleep] whooping on any Penguins that dare stand in our way.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

We're also in debt to the mafia.

I think that wondering if Larry is OK is peanuts in comparison.

Mafia goin' kill you.

2v8sgvs.png

whats the whole plot in the quest?

To waste your time.

Also try to keep their [Jagex] word of completing old quest lines instead of starting new ones.

Do you want a Runescape with no quest no story lines or plots???

Stop complaining about quest, if you feel like you wasted time doing a quest then the answer is simple.

DON'T DO IT! That way you don't have to come here and [female dog] about it and waste even further time posting something that wasted your time.

Ah see you assume too much which in the end makes you look like a [donkey]. This quest, after being built up quite heavily had my hopes up. With about a month passing since the Choas Elemental hinting at this quest (a sequal to an older quest line that I actually find quite entertaining), I had been waiting on this quest for a good bit. Heck I even delayed coming into work so that I might finish it when it came out.

When doing the quest it felt as though it was filler and not really a serious quest. I felt let down and that I had in fact wasted my time. Having my hopes shot down probably did not help matters as the more recent quests have all been fillers, with maybe the exception of The Chosen Commander. I am quite the quest buff, that is what I really enjoy about Runescape and just as it seems most players are content afk training slayer/combat, I instead enjoy problem solving and something that actually takes effort. Those are the things about quests that make this game fun. Though Hunt for Red Raktuber had it's share of puzzles, they seemed easy almost as if they had been made for the same afk players I described above. Now I understand that the game has to have a middle ground but in the grand scheme of things I feel as though this quest was really a waste of time.

Now I would like to respond to the rest of your comments. You do not know me, you know nothing about my gaming habits nor my general view of Runescape. I rarely complain about the game as I feel they [read] are doing a pretty good job. I however feel as though the new way of updating allows for more quality updates and yet so far I am seeing the same level of depth that they had when they did updates every week like clockwork. If that continues to be the case I would say that I would prefer the higher frequnecy of mediocre things to do.

With all that being said, my comment of it being a waste of time was not me complaining, rather stating my opinion. If that is a problem for you, it seems you need to get a grip. Message boards, after all are for exactly that, giving opinions.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

I think I like the direction of these quests.

Jagex has been issuing lots of new quests that do very, very little to progress the game play in terms of making it easier, but rather added well written, fun-to-do quests that are pure enjoyment and not much change to the game.

Kind of a nice strategy. Allows for a build up on whatever the "next" big items will be, while allowing people to continue to profit on existing "top" items before they are inevitably replaced/made obsolete. (stuff like Dragon Boots, whips, Barrows gear, etc).

stormveritas.png

whats the whole plot in the quest?

To waste your time.

Also try to keep their [Jagex] word of completing old quest lines instead of starting new ones.

Do you want a Runescape with no quest no story lines or plots???

Stop complaining about quest, if you feel like you wasted time doing a quest then the answer is simple.

DON'T DO IT! That way you don't have to come here and [female dog] about it and waste even further time posting something that wasted your time.

Better question... How do you know you are wasting your time until after you've already done it? ;)

Get what your saying, to a degree, but the entire logic there is flawed. You can't possibly know you're going to be wasting your time until you've already done it. For arguements sake... let's say even half way through the quest. By that time... you might as well finish it anyways and get whatever unknown (or known if you leech off guides) reward you might get to salvage said wasted time.

Not saying the quest is a waste of time... For the record... Just incase anyone wants to try and blast me for something I didn't even say. ;)

Simple. You don't do the quest ill it comes out, you wait for a guide and for the plot to be revealed.

We're also in debt to the mafia.

I think that wondering if Larry is OK is peanuts in comparison.

Mafia goin' kill you.

Your not really in debt to the mafia that much. The penguin suit is.

Although what the mafia said about a human agent...I suspect that you become the human agent sooner or later....

And although nothing is conclusive, I like how this quest hints at the penguin, dwarf, and sea slug quests being connected.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Enter the north side of the last room instead of the south side.

You're welcome.

thank you for the help- quest now complete :mrgreen:

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

Was anybody else really impressed with the sheer size of that sub? Also, we didn't get to see it get up and walk on land, that would be a sight to see.

I can't wait to see the penguin homeland, and see a war between the bears and penguins, could be funny.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

But of course. I mean, I was expecting that evidence to be covered up even before I managed to get the zookeeper to look at it.

The cabin of the sub is surprisingly small for a craft of that size. I'd bump my head in there.

Poor Larry. He is resourceful.....but his nose must be itching like CRAAAAZY right now.

Despite disappointment in the end results (well, other people's disappointment), I've never played any other game where there are both animations for scratching a man's nose, and tickling a polar bear. Fish hats are also fun and are a fresh breath of air in the fishing outfit lineup (skillers like to dress up). I wish they hadn't cancelled making the lobster hat though. A lobster hat would be fun too.

I was hoping there would be a reward for turning KGB agents, but there appears to be not much at the moment. If there is, at least I've carted in three bagfuls of the suckers. Their capture animations are sort of funny. I'm glad the deadfall doesn't kill them outright (I chalk it up to the snow being too soft to crush them upon), and if you box trap them, you can see that they don't quite entirely fit in the box and their feet get caught in the door.

How does one determine the difference between the agents and normal penguins aside from the item name?.....they seem equally curious in investigating wooden boxes with hinges or very, very obvious net traps, though.

So, I'm guessing the polar bear agent for hide and seek is as poorly disguised as the one on the island?

Sidenote: Aeria doesn't make games, they just buy the rights to it and host them. Of course, most of their choices were rather.....poor.

8f14270694.jpg

But of course. I mean, I was expecting that evidence to be covered up even before I managed to get the zookeeper to look at it.

The cabin of the sub is surprisingly small for a craft of that size. I'd bump my head in there.

Poor Larry. He is resourceful.....but his nose must be itching like CRAAAAZY right now.

Despite disappointment in the end results (well, other people's disappointment), I've never played any other game where there are both animations for scratching a man's nose, and tickling a polar bear. Fish hats are also fun and are a fresh breath of air in the fishing outfit lineup (skillers like to dress up). I wish they hadn't cancelled making the lobster hat though. A lobster hat would be fun too.

I was hoping there would be a reward for turning KGB agents, but there appears to be not much at the moment. If there is, at least I've carted in three bagfuls of the suckers. Their capture animations are sort of funny. I'm glad the deadfall doesn't kill them outright (I chalk it up to the snow being too soft to crush them upon), and if you box trap them, you can see that they don't quite entirely fit in the box and their feet get caught in the door.

How does one determine the difference between the agents and normal penguins aside from the item name?.....they seem equally curious in investigating wooden boxes with hinges or very, very obvious net traps, though.

So, I'm guessing the polar bear agent for hide and seek is as poorly disguised as the one on the island?

Sidenote: Aeria doesn't make games, they just buy the rights to it and host them. Of course, most of their choices were rather.....poor.

I'm guessing they probably have their KGP ID cards on them.

As to Aeria, I simply meant games like shaiya, 2 moons, Flyff, and all of those other games that have the exact same systems of battles and controls, and for the most part, almost identical interfaces.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Woot I loved this quest. I just hope they continue to crank out the quests, and not take so long to finish series. Its getting to be like movie series.

Yeah, I hate the long gaps between quests of the same storyline (I believe Cold War & Red Raktuber had a gap between 1 & 2 years, not so sure). But then again, I understand it takes a long time to write/develop a quest.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.