Post and discuss all Jagex Twitter updates here!

forestfrolic

I personally think the "one-off" rewards will act much in the fasion of the Summer portals rewards - that is, you get one fat amount of xp, tokens, or whatever Jagex chooses to implement, then permanent access to a new area.

Or at least, that's the way I hope it will work.

And here's to more waiting.....

Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking - rewards like Summer's End. I really, really hope that they don't reveal all of the dungeons the first day. It would be kinda fun to go find them all on my own or with my DG group.

I seriously hope that if they do give out XP that it's either not for DG, or accompanied with tokens, or both.

Also, if it is delayed till next week or even just Friday, I'll have enough time to get 80+ (78 right now), so it's good for me either way. :)

2dgucz6.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

As Mod Emilee isn't in the office today I wanted to let you all know that we are not planning to put out a game content update this week - but that there may be a system update later on in the week for some game-engine changes.

Thank you,

-Mod Knox

Quick find code: 16-17-594-61302991

So im pretty sure that the game engine changes happened within the last 2 hours, anyone notice any major changes?

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

To be honest I'm not excited at all about any Dungeoneering related updates. In fact, ever since the minigame activity skill came out I see RuneScape at its end-game stage, and I just spend my remaining membership time (which ends tomorrow) in Castle Wars and Stealing Creation.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

To be honest I'm not excited at all about any Dungeoneering related updates. In fact, ever since the minigame activity skill came out I see RuneScape at its end-game stage, and I just spend my remaining membership time (which ends tomorrow) in Castle Wars and Stealing Creation.

Just because jagex took a minigame and assigned skill levels to it doesn't mean it's the end of RS. I was skeptical about it at first, but then I gave the thing an honest chance and I can truly say that I find it highly enjoyable. The awesome rewards seal the deal. YES you will have to manage the fact that the content you are enjoying is classified not as a minigame but as a skill, but with herculean effort the difficulty of that distinction may possibly be overcome.

I don't really understand how it is you can enjoy stealing creation but dislike dungeoneering, when the core ideas are so similar. An open mind never hurt anyone you know. :shame:

Don't be a trembake lol, any update that introduces a different way to do things is not bad by default.

Just because jagex took a minigame and assigned skill levels to it doesn't mean it's the end of RS. I was skeptical about it at first, but then I gave the thing an honest chance and I can truly say that I find it highly enjoyable. The awesome rewards seal the deal. YES you will have to manage the fact that the content you are enjoying is classified not as a minigame but as a skill, but with herculean effort the difficulty of that distinction may possibly be overcome.

I don't really understand how it is you can enjoy stealing creation but dislike dungeoneering, when the core ideas are so similar. An open mind never hurt anyone you know. :shame:

Don't be a trembake lol, any update that introduces a different way to do things is not bad by default.

If Jagex adds a turn-based strategy, multi-leveled campaign RS-theme 'skill' to RS and name it 'Commanding' (aka Armies of Gielinor), then rename the homepage heading to 'RuneScape: Armies of Gielinor", do I have to overcome the fact that it's not very skill-like and accept it, even though the content itself is fun?

Before Dungeoneering was added, I was chopping trees, catching fish, slaying beasts, training in dungeons.

After Dungeoneering was added, I was chopping trees, catching fish, slaying beasts, training in dungeons, and training in dungeons?

What's the point of it? It's just the same ideas rehashed in different polygon models.

And this upcoming update is going to add something that I thought I'd never see in RuneScape either: classes. I was under the impression that yes, we do play different roles in various activities, such as tanker in a PvM team, or skiller in SC. But I've never felt that Jagex needs to classify the players in such a strict manner, nor give the roles an advantage. No one needs to declare himself as a skiller in a game of SC and then get some extra bonuses for depositing clay, nor do you automatically get +20 defence automatically for being the tanker in Bandos GWDing either. (And that's a dangerous PvM situation for goodness sake)

Sorry if I may sound whinny, but I expected to see Jagex use their creativity and add skills like Archaeology, or Seafaring, or Husbandry, or just basically any skill that is new to the game, while I play and level until I eventually feel end-game about myself and RS. Not Jagex adding their so-called end-game skill of skills that is actually dungeon that summarises the all the skills in one location. It's not like I haven't tried the skill out either, but please, looking at boxes after boxes of rooms, passing them 100% without fail because you have the level or don't get pass because you don' have it, running and running and forever searching for that silly-looking coloured block keys, and trying to convince myself that I'm training something called Dungeons of Daemonheim-ing?

It's tough. :rolleyes: I want to call myself a dungeoneer much like how I am a slayer, or a fisher, or a chef, but hey, I WAS already exploring dungeons since the start of the game!

When it comes to updates regarding Dungeoneering I'm already having the 'anything goes' mentality, since it was something out of the normal pattern from the beginning. You see attempts to fix the combat triangle, more creative and interactive bosses and rebalancing of other skills such as better logs burning longer, yet Jagex would never bring this to the outside world. You see rewards that enchances other skills but otherwise have no links to the dungeon scenario in the first place, and could have been added to the game from another route anyway. You will see class system, and attempts to make the skill more skill-like by adding more bonus dungeons, yet the feeling of Dungeoneering as a skill would never come even close to simple yet practical ideas like farming, or fishing, or even more controversial ideas such as agility and slayer when they first came out.

It's Jagex's swan song for skills, showing players what they can and could have done to the whole game, but is no longer at the golden era to do so, but nevertheless they will milk as much membership fee out of this 120 levels of old content in new paint job and sustain the remaining time with quests and acitivities.

By the way, Stellar Dawn's page is up and running. It's coming out in 2011, have you signed up for its closed beta? :lol:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Before Dungeoneering was added, I was chopping trees, catching fish, slaying beasts, training in dungeons.

After Dungeoneering was added, I was chopping trees, catching fish, slaying beasts, training in dungeons, and training in dungeons?

Before Slayer was added, we were killing monsters, some monsters and other monsters

After Slayer was added, we were killing monsters, some new monsters and we were gaining exp on another skill for it ... what's the point ?

Who says they cant add another end game skill/update?

Just because they call it end-game doesnt mean its the one and only end game thing ever to be released.

I'm hoping along with the technical stuff jagex fix the 99 capes that seem to be really short on males. Maybe that's why they postponed the update till next week? Though I live in hope... It's annoying seeing my shrunk slayer cape uuurgh

2vuhgcn.png

Before Slayer was added, we were killing monsters, some monsters and other monsters

After Slayer was added, we were killing monsters, some new monsters and we were gaining exp on another skill for it ... what's the point ?

Thank you. That's what I've been thinking all along. Slayer is hardly different from Dungeoneering in the skill VS minigame sense, except that there are early visible rewards and you don't have to cooperate with anybody else. "Delayed gratification AND I have to play nice with others?? Boo! Dungeoneering sucks!"

2dgucz6.png

No one.

It was implied.

I'm pretty sure there was just an argument about implied writing. Try not to start it again, for everyones sake.

And just to add some discussion value, games rarely have one end-game. End-game usually consists of at least 3 pillars (an easy example would be WoW: Raiding, Arena, PvP) No one implicitly stated that there would only be one end-game in Runescape, and Jagex has never said Dungeoneering is the only end-game. They said the distinction between Dungeoneering and the other skills was that Dungeoneering was end-game. There are already 3 pillars of end-game content in Runescape... Activities, Dungeoneering and PvP. Many would argue that certain other areas of the game could count as end-game content, but that's all up to interpretation of course.

Something is end-game content as long as its repeatable, dynamic gameplay that is available even for maxed out players. I would include general skilling as end-game, but most of the skilling in Runescape is flat grinding with no dynamic at all. Therefore it would be meaningless to say that skilling is a viable piece of end-game content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After slayer, we're killing monsters with special abilities, hence the theme "Slayer". It's as good as a job class on its own, if RuneScape had a job system.

I don't see dungeoneering as a skill or a job class, and I don't even understand the name of the skill. 'Dungeons of Daemonheim-ing' or "Opening doors with colored keys-ing" would be more fitting to what the whole 'skill' encompasses.

Just because they call it end-game doesnt mean its the one and only end game thing ever to be released.

My point was, I didn't expect Jagex to declare end-game on their own in this manner. Continuing to push out simple yet practical skill ideas for people going for the highscore to train on, with other regular updates would have been more than sufficient to sustain the game. No one needed some extraordinary end-game content, and Mod MMG's definition of the Year of Awesomeness was actually about this?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see Jagex trying so hard to package this thing as a skill and pushing it into the face of players. You may want to compare with Slayer or Agility when they first came out, but the name of the skills themselves implies a new spectrum of abilities that players can gain. It's a difference between "sees something as a skill but lacks application", and "doesn't see something as a skill, and still doesn't see it this way even if they add lores, revamp the homepage, and slap more enticing rewards here, there and everywhere". Sure, add class rings, add chaotic armour, ranged version of piety, more floors, more monsters. Too bad you made the fundamental mistake of introducing this to RS in the first place, and now anything goes.

Even if the content is honestly fun, that's no excuse to dump it in RS if it doesn't fit in. AoG is fun, so add it in as a skill too?

"Just because jagex took a minigame and assigned skill levels to it doesn't mean it's the end of RS. I was skeptical about it at first, but then I gave the thing an honest chance and I can truly say that I find it highly enjoyable. The awesome rewards seal the deal. YES you will have to manage the fact that the content you are enjoying is classified not as a minigame but as a skill, but with herculean effort the difficulty of that distinction may possibly be overcome."

Well, you gave Jagex the green light to add anything as a skill as long as it's fun, not me.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

After slayer, we're killing monsters with special abilities, hence the theme "Slayer". It's as good as a job class on its own, if RuneScape had a job system.

I don't see dungeoneering as a skill or a job class, and I don't even understand the name of the skill. 'Dungeons of Daemonheim-ing' or "Opening doors with colored keys-ing" would be more fitting to what the whole 'skill' encompasses.

Are you insulting everyones intelligence by making that "point"? By your logic, woodcutting should be called "Chopping-a-tree-with-your-axe". You've never heard of names or titles?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you insulting everyones intelligence by making that "point"? By your logic, woodcutting should be called "Chopping-a-tree-with-your-axe". You've never heard of names or titles?

Would you be chopping trees with your axe if there isn't a woodcutting skill? By contrast, are you not already "dungeoneering" even before Dungeoneering was added?

That is what I meant by a new spectrum of abilities. A good, practical skill does not need lores, or tokens/rewards, or Jagex trying so hard to convince people that it's a skill.

And erm, thanks for pointing that out, out of the whole chunk I wrote. :rolleyes:

Zepheras.png

-F1775

There are hardly any monsters in slayer that you need a "special technique" to kill .. and that technique is: "Fight like any other monster and when it has only X amount of LP use Y on it to kill it" or "Just equip X item to kill it" ... I wouldn't call that a special technique.

There are hardly any monsters in slayer that you need a "special technique" to kill .. and that technique is: "Fight like any other monster and when it has only X amount of LP use Y on it to kill it" or "Just equip X item to kill it" ... I wouldn't call that a special technique.

The first part is true, and that is what I consider the flaws of Slayer. But you can't blame Jagex, Slayer was added when the game isn't that big as it is now. Ideally, they should have added Slayer with the dungeon and tower PLUS all the quests we have now that unlocks slayer beasts, but you know that's not going to happen. So what's the best fix? Add all the already existing monsters to the list.

The second part? Even if they wanted to add something special, tons of players complain that it's too "troublesome" to kill those monsters, because one task consists of over 100 kills. If slayer was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CehhQC2yg3U

Then yes, they can add all kinds of weird stuff to the monster. Think of it like fighting Bulwark Beast + Stomp + Zilyana, where there's special techniques involved, and evadable attacks (or even monsters evading your moves), except perhaps a longer fight, and perhaps around 3k slayer XP for a 10 minutes battle with one monster. Jagex is limited to what they can do at the time of adding the skill, and it's not realistic to make the changes now.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

"Just because jagex took a minigame and assigned skill levels to it doesn't mean it's the end of RS. I was skeptical about it at first, but then I gave the thing an honest chance and I can truly say that I find it highly enjoyable. The awesome rewards seal the deal. YES you will have to manage the fact that the content you are enjoying is classified not as a minigame but as a skill, but with herculean effort the difficulty of that distinction may possibly be overcome."

Well, you gave Jagex the green light to add anything as a skill as long as it's fun, not me.

I honestly don't see why calling a minigame a skill is such a bad thing. You're supposed to have fun when you play a game. If you're having fun, then why does it matter what it's called? I like dungeoneering, I agree it's more of a minigame, but it sure as hell doesn't keep me up a night. It's fun to do, and raising it has benefited me greatly so far. Once this dungeoneering update comes (hopefully next week), it will benefit me more.

I honestly DO give Jagex the green light to add anything as a skill if it's fun. As long as it's fun, I see no reason why it would matter what they call it.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I honestly don't see why calling a minigame a skill is such a bad thing. You're supposed to have fun when you play a game. If you're having fun, then why does it matter what it's called? I like dungeoneering, I agree it's more of a minigame, but it sure as hell doesn't keep me up a night. It's fun to do, and raising it has benefited me greatly so far. Once this dungeoneering update comes (hopefully next week), it will benefit me more.

I honestly DO give Jagex the green light to add anything as a skill if it's fun. As long as it's fun, I see no reason why it would matter what they call it.

Dungeoneering is fun, is beneficial (within the context of RuneScape), and it does not fit into RuneScape as a skill in the first place. Maybe you don't mind how things are categorized as long as they're fun, but I do. That's the reason why categories exist. If not, why split things into "skills" and "activities" in the first place?

It's like the Pokemon franchise. I may enjoy the main games catching pokemon all day (gotta catch 'em all!), and still consider getting the turn-based strategy pokemon mystery dungeon. But I sure as hell won't be happy if I caught 120 pokemon and then realised that the last 30 are obtained though turn-based strategy, regardless of whether I enjoy both kinds of gameplay. (Yea, bad example, can't think of a game that messes up its own category definition like RuneScape)

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I just love saying it .. but you realize that Jagex and Jagex only decides what fits and what doesn't fit in the Skill category ?

Yes, I and see that their level of creativity is 1/99 too.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I just love saying it .. but you realize that Jagex and Jagex only decides what fits and what doesn't fit in the Skill category ?

Yes, I and see that their level of creativity is 1/99 too.

Like turning a minigame into a skill isn't creative...

In a way.

priest_wiz.png

The ironic thing is that Dungeoneering is probably one of the only skills that actually requires skill to be good at.

XP Rate with good Dungeoneers = 1Large/30mins

XP Rate with bad W117ers = 1Large/90mins

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top