Defence, does your level make much impact?

joey11223

Well I've noticed while barrowing that your defence level doesn't make to make a big difference.

I watched a guy dressed in full veracs killing verac. He had 99 defence.

I have 84 defence and was killing him using slayer dart, wearing guthans and a zammy book.

Both times I was hit four times, each time for over 10hp damage.

The first time I wasn't hurt once, second time I was hit twice, once for 8hp, once for 13hp.

Now this could just be chance but I have also noticed this in other places. I mean verac ignores the defence given by your armour right? So logically if it's purely on defence levels shouldn't he get hit less then me? I thought defence didn't lower the enemies hit, it literally makes the enemy miss more. So why is a guy with 99(he had skillcape) defence, which takes a hell of a lot longer to get then 84 defence, gets hit more often then me on two occasions when it takes us a similiar amount of time to kill verac. Is it chance or is it 14 levels doesn't make much difference?

cakesncats056-1.jpg

it makes more impact in different places. try tanking bandos at 70 defence, or *trying* to tank zilyana at 80. its not gonna happen, but at 99 its very easy.

theres also a thing called luck. yeah the higher level may have gotten hit more that time, but over a long time its gonna average out that he gets hit less

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

You can't base your conclusion on a few seconds of data.

Over the long run, it really does make a difference, although there are "optimal" levels. Some later levels don't make as much of an impact as previous ones.

I always though that your defence was more of a "dodge" skill, and the armour lowers the opponent's hit on you.

Fairly sure it's so.

*EDIT* This should probably be in the Q&a section, but I don't know how to report threads.

*OTHER EDIT* [hide=]

I always though that your defence was more of a "dodge" skill, and the armour lowers the opponent's hit on you.

Fairly sure it's so.

Defence refers to the chance you have of being hit. A higher Defence level makes you a tougher warrior, giving you the ability to last longer against any foe.

To train Defence, you should select the 'Defensive' option from the Attack style screen (to find out which style is which, scroll your mouse over the icons).

A large part of Defence is armour. Having more resilient armour, combined with a good Defence level, will minimise the chances of being hit.

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewarticle.ws?article_id=43

[/hide]

Do I win?

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

Armor is, like said above, more of a "dodge" thing. It decreases your chance of getting hit. I don't remember where I read it before, but I'll get the source if I can find it. Defense just lowers the chance of getting hit, if a hit occurs though, defense isn't a factor in how high the hit is. (Otherwise 99 defense would be like an own little elysian shield in itself)

And basing things off Verac isn't exactly testing or proof to any extent. Verac at barrows, and players in the armor, don't always ignore defense. Your armor defense is still a factor, UNLESS the special activates, in which yes, it does ignore armor. (However the special isn't every hit, and it is random, so its hard to tell anything.)

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

Fairly sure it's so.

Defence refers to the chance you have of being hit. A higher Defence level makes you a tougher warrior, giving you the ability to last longer against any foe.

To train Defence, you should select the 'Defensive' option from the Attack style screen (to find out which style is which, scroll your mouse over the icons).

A large part of Defence is armour. Having more resilient armour, combined with a good Defence level, will minimise the chances of being hit.

rssig2.png

Fairly sure it's so.

*EDIT* This should probably be in the Q&a section, but I don't know how to report threads.

*OTHER EDIT* [hide=]

Fairly sure it's so.

[/hide]

Do I win?

You're wrong. Armor doesn't lower the damage at all. Both defense and armor lowers the chance of getting hit, basically get hit with nothing or everything. Armor and Defense do the same thing, contrary to what you said.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Quick tip, look at verac's special, then think about your question.

This.

I may be missing something but i dont see why this matters, Verac's special simply ignones armour and prayer so it would have the same effect on the person with 99 defence as the person with 84.

This.

I may be missing something but i dont see why this matters, Verac's special simply ignones armour and prayer so it would have the same effect on the person with 99 defence as the person with 84.

True, but his experience is based on (from what we're told) one fight. Verac's special is randomly activated, so for all we know, the effect could have hit the level 99 defence player 15 times while hitting the topic creator 5 times.

If you're going to try find a difference between defence levels, testing at Verac is a pretty bad place to start.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Fairly sure it's so.

*OTHER EDIT* [hide=]

Fairly sure it's so.

[/hide]

Do I win?

You're wrong. Armor doesn't lower the damage at all. Both defense and armor lowers the chance of getting hit, basically get hit with nothing or everything. Armor and Defense do the same thing, contrary to what you said.

I think Inuashakent is right. What I quoted from Jagex says that Defense + Armor combine to effect the chance of being hit at all. It says nothing about effecting how hard you will be hit. In my experience, this seems to be correct.

rssig2.png

Dude... Verac's special effect hits through armor, so defence doesn't apply on that case.

Ever try fighting a pure? They get shredded \' I have 83 defence and it helps a lot when I'm in a PVP minigame or using Void armor :thumbsup:

Yes defence matters. Except fighting someone in Verac... with 99 strength... and Vengence...and an Armadyl Godsword to spec with... :wall: :cry: :evil:

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

RS BILLYMAYS.png

In some cases yes. In some cases no.

It does lower your chance of being hit by Melee, but I'm pretty sure in the case of Mage and Range defending it is also determinant on your Mage and Range levels to how high your defence is against those attacks.

I'm not sure if Mage defense is entirely based off of your Mage level (excluding armor) or if it's a combination of Mage and Defense levels.

1288581197250-1.jpg

In some cases yes. In some cases no.

It does lower your chance of being hit by Melee, but I'm pretty sure in the case of Mage and Range defending it is also determinant on your Mage and Range levels to how high your defence is against those attacks.

I'm not sure if Mage defense is entirely based off of your Mage level (excluding armor) or if it's a combination of Mage and Defense levels.

From what I've been told (and gone by for a while) Mage is based 30% on your defense, 70% on your mage level. Thats the base at least. Then armor is factored in if Im right. (Just like from melee attacks, 100% based defense, then armor defense)

Might not be a 100% right answer, but from what I know it sounds right, and I've at least gone by that.

Range is based on defense only as far as I know, range level doesn't deal with defense on range attack.

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

Over the long run, it really does make a difference, although there are "optimal" levels. Some later levels don't make as much of an impact as previous ones.

What would those "optimal" levels be?

wl7w9j.png

The best defence levels are:

a) Ones where you unlock new armor (i.e. 40, 60, 70)

B) Level "humps"; for example, level 87 where super defence potions stop boosting defence by 17 levels and start boosting defence by 18 levels

I had 94 defence on muggi for the longest time then one month decided to train to 99 defence. I never lost a fight on muggi when I was 94 defence, however after getting 99 defence I soon regretted it since all of my new opponents had higher offensive stats than my previous ones. Because of this, I've been lead to believe that attack levels are more "potent" than defence levels. I recall fighting someone while I was wearing a torag helm, dhide body, rune kite, rune boots, verac skirt, etc. while sara brewed with steel skin. So, despite having 300+ melee defence, level 120 defence, and steel skin on, the guy comes up to me and kills me with two lucky DDS specs haha. One of them was 34-35 or something outrageous.

So honestly, the optimum defence level should be the same as the requirement for armor which you're willing to use. Meaning, stay at 40 defence if you're not going to ever PK with barrows equipment. If you're gonna risk barrows gear, then get 70 defence. Otherwise, 94 defence is the best defence level since it is the final "hump." (Same applies to attack)

77yLQy8.png

the optimum level would be base 99/ super potter over level 100

A person with 94 94 94 will do better against people similar to his combat level than someone with 99 99 99 (granted that someone w/ maxed stats has no stronger opponents, still they have less "advantage" over others than the person with 94s)

77yLQy8.png

Yes, it certainly does. I quite often hear that defence is just for noobs. This is just stupid, since defence minimize the risk of loss in the game greatly. Combine a good defence level with good armour, and you will often make it through a fight with an enemy of the same level as yourself without taking more than a little damage. Of course attack and strenght are important skills too, but defence is today underrated. It's a great skill that probably have saved my life in RS more than a couple of times.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

This.

You are missing the point. Let's hypothetically say verac does 10 hits to one player with 99 defense and 10 hits to one player with 50 defense. Both wear the same exact armor.

Assume that on the 5th and the 10th hit, verac's special kicks in and both players armor will be ignored, but for the other 8 hits, it's all about their defense level.

Player with 99 defense takes this damage:

0, 0, 0, 15, 28, 0, 2, 0, 0, 28

Player with 50 defense takes this damage:

17, 0, 12, 0, 28, 0, 16, 5, 4, 28

Notice the player with half the defense level as the other took more hits while the player with 99 took twice as many 0s.

This is ONLY AN EXAMPLE. It doesn't always work this way, but a player with higher defense WILL survive easier against verac because not all of veracs hits are with the set special. Only when the special kicks in with each players defense level and armor not matter.

Tell me if this helped.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png